Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Spice coffee is actual coffee with spice added. There's a bit in Messiah where Paul comes home after one of his disguised walkabouts and Chani roasts the beans and grinds them with a pestle. Arrakis sucks to live on, but the idea that they can't get
simple goddamn coffee imported when it's got trade ships coming and going constantly is p thickheaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think part of the problem is we're told the fremen have agriculture, industry, high degree of societal complexity and specialization, etc. but not really shown it well enough to any extent. So people end up basically just not believing the exposition and ignoring it

Herbert does a bad job of this. He makes it a point to show that Fremen manufacture all their own gear, and its the bestest, but completely and utterly handwaves any of the mechanisms which would show from an industrialized society. IIRC one or two lines in the book when Paul 'the Nose' Atredies walks into Sietch Tabr and figures out that they cook crack there. Herbert should've said that the worms molt stilsuits.

Re: hard times - hard men thing, I felt that understanding was one of the core tenants of the Fremen. I.e. all the Fremen believed that the suffering they were doing on Arrakis was righteous, as an internal explanation on why Fremen didn't grab a handful of spice and hop ship to to the hand-spider planet.

sean10mm posted:

What's actually interesting about the Fremen is that they're the only faction with a noble motive, to literally make a better world for future generations to live on.

Following Paul is basically the Fremen selling their souls because he offers them a shortcut to the paradise that Kynes would have them build over generations of hard, boring work. "if you choose the quick and easy path... you will become an agent of evil."

Maybe i just got this wrong from Lynch-Dune, but it was my understanding that Paul purposefully left Dune the way it was so that Arrakis would always make more Fremen. ("I leave Arrakis to the fighters!") In the same coin thats why he promised to terraform Salunda Secundus - not to make it a nicer prison for the Empreror, but so they couldn't make Sardaurkar there. It was also my understanding that this is what the Fremen wanted - they needed Arrakis as a place to test them... although reading itt about the KH being the one who shortens the way, and reading what happens in later books... I guess I got that wrong?

Of course, the entire idea of Nietzesian "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has been proven wrong at every level. Even Herbert isn't consistent with it - Atredies legions were feared because they were trained by effective & compassionate leaders. Not because they turned part of Caladan into a hellpit.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 16, 2021

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it sounds like Herbert was intentionally vague on the moral endpoints of his work so as to deflect ideological cross-examination and eliminate the possibility of any absolute moral high ground. but I haven't read the books so what do I know

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the moral i took away is that it would be cool to be a giant worm

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's really really really really really really really really fun. To think about taking a big worm ride

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hard times create strong men
Strong men create peepee poopoo
Peepee poopoo is processed in the thighpads

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hard times create worm men
Worm men create d-wolves
D-wolves die of poison
Woman genetically designed to be the most uncooperative jerk rear end imaginable inherits the galaxy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

Hard times create strong men
Strong men create peepee poopoo
Peepee poopoo is processed in the thighpads

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

kiimo posted:

The galaxy runs on duncan

I just had to make a (terrible) poster with mr Dunc himself

(I am so, so sorry)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's so D U N C A N

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
What's my name?
Duncan Idaho!
It's a whole new game
Duncan Idaho!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm not surprised arrakis is a fertile desert planet, worms gently caress in it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Fremen aren’t “hard” because of desert life. Even pre Paul they have an easy time of it and just live “below the radar”. They are strong Because they have good ideas

The sardaurkar and other “Noble” houses are just incredibly soft and not even really part of the real game of the universe .

That is my take of it anyway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure I'm going to be on board with calling honor killing death duels and poo poo "good ideas" rather than just good ideas for producing hard fighters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Liberal feudalism is really a bad idea and inhumane. It dies quickly in this story

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

Liberal feudalism is really a bad idea and inhumane. It dies quickly in this story

As opposed to:...?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Collectivism of the one worm

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Def not arguing in favor of feudalism

Hardly the only alternative to violent warlordism

There's some cool poo poo about Fremen society but yikes it's nothing to pine for overall

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the context of the movie , Fremen society is working and almost utopian

In comparison!:

The Biden-esque fore-story of “liberal mandates” is incredibly depressing and Leto rightfully dies quickly.

(Talking movie only here )

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I serve one master, and its Pee-Halud!

~* bangs thighpad rhythmically *~

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

In comparison!:

The Biden-esque fore-story of “liberal mandates” is incredibly depressing and Leto rightfully dies quickly.

Aye you high right now

Please describe the Bidenesque character in Dunc

Also there is nothing utopian about the possibility of being legally challenged to a duel to the death at any time or murdering strangers to steal their resources

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm the reactionary Fremen bitching about how Kynes made us stop sacrificing virgins to Shai Hulud.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the movie the fremen are living a wonderful life outside the scope of liberal history . The liberal appropriation golem can’t even see their green fields. They are way beyond the sterile world of harkonesn and atriedies

I’m Just talking movie here . Books are different

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mossyfisk posted:

I'm the reactionary Fremen bitching about how Kynes made us stop sacrificing virgins to Shai Hulud.

Waste of good virgins if you ask me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

In the movie the fremen are living a wonderful life outside the scope of liberal history . The liberal appropriation golem can’t even see their green fields. They are way beyond the sterile world of harkonesn and atriedies

The simple wonderful life of stabbing your boss with a knife until he dies and taking his wife, kids and all his stuff

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pre lapsarian eden really

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Dude the isn't even a sietch in the first part.

Just post "lets go brandon" or some other screed and gently caress off.

2/10 if trolling.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

In comparison!:

euphronius posted:

haha oh yeah for sure *backs out of the thread slowly while nodding and smiling*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stingar exists opposite the conservative lineal “”””bipolar””” world .

The baron is trump and Leto is what liberals imagine a president should be

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Proud to be an Amarrakeen

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The ornithopter represents the penis, and the sandstorm the vagina

In this way the film offers commentary on the relationship between sex and gender in the modern world

In my next essay I shall explain why I want to gently caress the sand compactor

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

euphronius posted:

Stingar exists opposite the conservative lineal “”””bipolar””” world .

The baron is trump and Leto is what liberals imagine a president should be

*sets thumper at your feet*

Ok yup hey just hang out right here for a second. Yeah, on the sand.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

The ornithopter represents the penis, and the sandstorm the vagina

In this way the film offers commentary on the relationship between sex and gender in the modern world

In my next essay I shall explain why I want to gently caress the sand compactor

so... when is it due?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Nine months

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sand? I never touch the stuff;

Tiberius Christ posted:

worms gently caress in it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still wanna know the Sand to Spice and Spice to Cheeto Dust ratios. Like for how rare and expensive Spice is supposed to be compared to how casually and wastefully everyone uses it, it just doesn't add up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Who uses is casually and wastefully

Other than the fremen that is

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Thufir Hawat says it costs 1.4m solarii to drag 3 guild navigators and retinue out to Caladan. I dont have the book in front of me, but google says 10g of primo spice could go for up to 620k solarii.

So the big expensive trip could be paid for with an 8 ball. Losing picograms would be considered a setback with that kind of value.

OTOH, humanity is supposed to rule the universe at that point. thousands and thousands and thousands of worlds and all of them need spice to make their trade networks function. Spice comes from exactly one place, and exactly one way - flying dudes in and having them grab as much as possible before the worms get them.

Honestly the only unrealistic part is they don't show wildcat miners or smugglers, because with that kind of value somebody would figure out a way to grift.

EDIT - :lol: the Fremen are the wildcat miners. They smuggle that poo poo off world to the Spacing Guild. I wonder how much spice the Guild actually hauls out of there, because those dudes walking around in their freebase helmets have a street value in the billions.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 16, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Honestly the only unrealistic part is they don't show wildcat miners or smugglers, because with that kind of value somebody would figure out a way to grift.

See Part II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Conservatives walk like this: *without rhythm*

Liberals walk like this: *pounds drum sand, is devoured by 600m shai hulud*