Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So the coffee chain store I work at has had an unexpected delivery from our supplier of a Mazzer Major V, and after taking a few days to figure out if it was actually ours or not, we've been told that they're not sending an engineer out to set it up. Instead that responsibility has been handed to me, just some peon, not even the store manager, because I know stuff about coffee and have a coffee grinder at home so clearly I know what I'm doing, right?

I mean I like the opportunity to meddle around with something like this that I'm not likely to ever own, and I'm sure it's not rocket science to set up this grinder, but the Encore I have at home was like £150, and this thing is ten times as expensive and also extremely not mine to break if something does go wrong or is faulty. I don't know how difficult it's going to be to set up, but I don't necessarily want to be responsible for something this expensive, especially when this not at all part of my job description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone know if there is any chance the niche is going to go on sale any time over the holidays? Might end up getting the specialita over it just for the inevitable black friday sale.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don’t know but I doubt it. They’re still selling out and are in high demand so why would the offer a discount?

If you’re in the US, check out https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/

You can email them for a discount on the eureka machines and they come out relatively cheap from what I’ve seen.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nwin posted:

I don’t know but I doubt it. They’re still selling out and are in high demand so why would the offer a discount?

If you’re in the US, check out https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/

You can email them for a discount on the eureka machines and they come out relatively cheap from what I’ve seen.

Kind of what I figured, which is what will likely steer me away from it ultimately. Going to spend the next month or so trolling deals and see if I can make my upgrade from a Silvia/Encore-with-upgraded-burrs to a Rocket/Niche-or-Specialita happen.

e; Thanks for the link. I had been looking in the US only, that site has cheaper prices even before the "ask for discount" button with the exchange rate. Def going to see if anything shakes loose there.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 9, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone know if there is any chance the niche is going to go on sale any time over the holidays? Might end up getting the specialita over it just for the inevitable black friday sale.

Honestly, with the experience I've had using the Atom 75 I am a huge fan of Eureka now. I'd advocate for a Specialita any day.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nephzinho posted:

Kind of what I figured, which is what will likely steer me away from it ultimately. Going to spend the next month or so trolling deals and see if I can make my upgrade from a Silvia/Encore-with-upgraded-burrs to a Rocket/Niche-or-Specialita happen.

e; Thanks for the link. I had been looking in the US only, that site has cheaper prices even before the "ask for discount" button with the exchange rate. Def going to see if anything shakes loose there.

Yeah I’m emailed them for a discount and got 5% off back almost immediately. Much cheaper shipping than the Niche as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah they send me a code for 150 off the rocket, which puts it into my range... but then the shipping takes it right back over. I'm going to sit on it a little bit. $1700 total for the machine and grinder is a relatively good deal, I'd get back whatever I got for my Silvia (seems like they go for ~$500 in good shape), not sure if I'd get much for my Encore even with the upgraded burr. Was really hoping to use end of year bonus on this as a no brainer, but that isn't happening so I'm prioritizing the things it was earmarked for based on what deals I can get.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm also still flip-flopping between grinder options. It's definitely the thing I need to upgrade to improve my espresso. Currently looking at

Niche - most expensive
Eureka Mignon single dose - looks cool, cheaper than the Niche but doesn't look like it's out yet/still on pre-order
A lower-cost Eureka Mignon grinder with a big hopper (seems to be mainly incremental feature and burr upgrades as you go up the price ladder)

Home espresso fiends, talk to me more about dialling in (especially in the context of single dosing). Once you've dialled in a bag, can you then dial in use a different bean, then come back to the previous setting for the first bean? Or is that not really a thing? Especially considering the very different ways you adjust the burrs on Niche vs Mignon (looks like the single dose works like the others in the family).

I'm not even sure I want to single dose. Maybe I just want to find a nice espresso and stick with it for a while. And keep the Encore running for my filter grinds. Too many choices!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 10, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have any experience with surface read temp probes? I would like to slap one onto the group head for a readout that can also send me an alert when the thing's up to proper temp. I have honestly just been spitballing it and while I'll probably just end up getting a sticker, I'd like to get something so I can walk away and do other things and then get a bing bong when it crosses a certain threshold.

e: also pulled 2 shots today for a double Americano (just ended up being like that) and instead of using one of those distribution tools to polish, I just did light tamp and polish with the tamper and that worked out a lot better.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bobstar posted:

I'm also still flip-flopping between grinder options. It's definitely the thing I need to upgrade to improve my espresso. Currently looking at

Niche - most expensive
Eureka Mignon single dose - looks cool, cheaper than the Niche but doesn't look like it's out yet/still on pre-order
A lower-cost Eureka Mignon grinder with a big hopper (seems to be mainly incremental feature and burr upgrades as you go up the price ladder)

Home espresso fiends, talk to me more about dialling in (especially in the context of single dosing). Once you've dialled in a bag, can you then dial in use a different bean, then come back to the previous setting for the first bean? Or is that not really a thing? Especially considering the very different ways you adjust the burrs on Niche vs Mignon (looks like the single dose works like the others in the family).

I'm not even sure I want to single dose. Maybe I just want to find a nice espresso and stick with it for a while. And keep the Encore running for my filter grinds. Too many choices!

I've heard you really don't want to make large changes in grind size once you have a bean dialed in because you can't always get perfectly right back to where you had it. Supposedly this is less a problem on the Niche, but it's probably best to have separate grinders for espresso and pour over. I use my old Capresso when I want to use my Clever.

I have also stopped using the integrated scale on my Sette 270wi. It's never been accurate and the idea of leaving half ground beans in the chamber bothered me anyway.

Now I just measure the beans and programmed a button to grind 35g so it will run dry and shut off. It's still a good low retention grinder with lots of grind size precision, but don't get the wi version. It's a waste of money. This definitely has sated my thirst for a Niche a little bit since it's kinda the same work flow and result.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Niche - most expensive

I used the Sette 270wi (and a rocky before that) before switching to the P64, which is going from a grinder that is actively hostile to single-dosing attempts to one that's entirely focused on it, and I'm much happier with the workflow (and also the other advantages of the p64.) The built-in scale of the 270wi just isn't very consistent unless you're constantly keeping the hopper topped up. I got much better results weighing the dose beforehand on a fairly cheap 0.1g scale, despite that being the 270wi's entire thing. Timed dose is presumably even less accurate but I've never had a timed dose grinder to compare.

Re dialing in, I've got the version of the p64 with faster thread pitch which makes it a bit annoying to switch back and forth (because i'm usually in between numbers for espresso) but I make both espresso and brew without any problems. I think the mignons usually have slower pitch with that little knob, which would make them more accurate but you'd have to keep track of number of turns. The niche works like the p64 where you turn the whole funnel to adjust but I think it has stepped adjustment. You can dial in different beans/doses if you want as long as you have a way to keep track of what setting for what bean.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Bandire posted:

I've heard you really don't want to make large changes in grind size once you have a bean dialed in because you can't always get perfectly right back to where you had it. Supposedly this is less a problem on the Niche, but it's probably best to have separate grinders for espresso and pour over. I use my old Capresso when I want to use my Clever.

I have also stopped using the integrated scale on my Sette 270wi. It's never been accurate and the idea of leaving half ground beans in the chamber bothered me anyway.

Now I just measure the beans and programmed a button to grind 35g so it will run dry and shut off. It's still a good low retention grinder with lots of grind size precision, but don't get the wi version. It's a waste of money. This definitely has sated my thirst for a Niche a little bit since it's kinda the same work flow and result.

To Baratza's wit they just gave me a 270wi because I bought a 270 and it wasn't working right and they said "we will just give you the better one thanks"

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

aldantefax posted:

To Baratza's wit they just gave me a 270wi because I bought a 270 and it wasn't working right and they said "we will just give you the better one thanks"

I think the internals are slightly better on the 270wi, so it's not nothing if you got upgraded for free. Just expect the integrated scale to be frustrating to the point of being useless.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Redialing in the mignon would likely be difficult because the little screw is very sensitive and, from my experience, is more a guide than a precise instrument. Once I’m settled I usually make very small tweaks as the beans age (sometimes none, depends on bean). I would not switch between grinds with my mignon specialita

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Niche - most expensive

The Niche is great for espresso but, supposedly, not as great for filter and pourover in the taste department. I solely make Espresso and value that rich mouth feel so I love mine but for doing both the DF64 is touted at being the better grinder. Still single dose but flat SSP burrs that you can change out for a style of burr that suits your tastes.

Single dosing is extremely beneficial when dialing in espresso. I don't need to run beans through to flush when changing to a finder grind size, weighing in and knowing that I'm getting the weight I want out is also reducing my waste which is nice too.

In other news I've started dialing in a Costa Rican honey processed bean and it's the first time I've had a honey processed coffee and my god, it's like I'm tasting coffee for the first time again. So zesty, lemonly and lovely. The La Pavoni / Niche combo is ruining me for cafes and work coffee.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

aldantefax posted:

Does anybody have any experience with surface read temp probes? I would like to slap one onto the group head for a readout that can also send me an alert when the thing's up to proper temp. I have honestly just been spitballing it and while I'll probably just end up getting a sticker, I'd like to get something so I can walk away and do other things and then get a bing bong when it crosses a certain threshold.

e: also pulled 2 shots today for a double Americano (just ended up being like that) and instead of using one of those distribution tools to polish, I just did light tamp and polish with the tamper and that worked out a lot better.

After slapping a temperature strip on mine I found out it took 40 minutes to get my group to the temp I like, 90 degrees, for my coffees. I then put my machine on a smart plug and have it turn itself on 40 minutes before I wake up of a morning and it's been perfect. I've also been flicking the plug on before driving home from work and coming home to a lovely warm machine. You could even do an ITTT profile to turn your plug on them set a 40 minute timer to remind you you're up to temp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Megabound posted:

I solely make Espresso and value that rich mouth feel so I love mine but for doing both the DF64 is touted at being the better grinder. Still single dose but flat SSP burrs that you can change out for a style of burr that suits your tastes.

agree with this but to clarify: they come with flat 64mm italimill burrs, which are perfectly nice and probably the closest in style to the cups you'd get from a Niche. then you have the option to grab 64mm SSP burrs for the ~$150-200ish they retail for, which have several confusing names that basically boil down to whether you prefer "cleaner" more flavor-separated, less textured cups (particularly for light roast espresso and filter brewing) or more "traditional" thicker espresso with less flavor separation.

i put the former in mine and have never looked back, cup quality is fantastic and you can basically quit worrying about upgrading. also i've done a few darker roasted espresso blends recently and have been pleasantly surprised with the thick, textured shots i've gotten out of my robot -- i think it's easy to overstate how big the differences between these things are

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Megabound posted:

The Niche is great for espresso but, supposedly, not as great for filter and pourover in the taste department. I solely make Espresso and value that rich mouth feel so I love mine but for doing both the DF64 is touted at being the better grinder. Still single dose but flat SSP burrs that you can change out for a style of burr that suits your tastes.

Single dosing is extremely beneficial when dialing in espresso. I don't need to run beans through to flush when changing to a finder grind size, weighing in and knowing that I'm getting the weight I want out is also reducing my waste which is nice too.

[there are 3 competing grinders]
[ask the coffee thread for advice]
[there are 4 competing grinders]

:v:

Seriously though, that looks like a good option. Niche-like but I'm much happier with the €400 price point than the €650+ one.

So I guess I revise my question to: is it stupid to try and use this for espresso and filter in the same day, or would I be happier with a Specialita alongside my Encore?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think grinding for both is perfectly reasonable, I'd trust the niche to be at 11 every time I set it there, but maybe a DF64 owner can chime in about repeatability in their machine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah, it's definitely no problem, i do it several times a day, it's not like the numbers change or anything. you get a feel for the espresso range and the filter range for the methods you like and it's pretty easy to remember "oh this bean was at 52 last time"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Cool, thanks for all the input. Yeah anyone else who uses a DF64/G-iota I'd love to hear your experience.

I've taken on board what JHoffman says about it, which seems to be echoed by the other reviews I've seen. Basically the Niche is probably better, certainly a bit "nicer", but it fills the same kind of niche (hur hur) for 2/3 the price and available from a local dealer here, and may require some tinkering (which is why coffee is a hobby, so that should be fine!)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gotta distinguish the build/experience of the grinder itself from the cup quality, as while the niche is a nicer build quality and ux, the cups conical burr grinders like it put out are Different, not Better.

if your interests involve light roasted, harder-to-extract (usually east african) coffees, a nice flat burr set like 64mm Multipurpose SSPs will be better in many cases because they're fantastic at getting really big extractions and that's often the hardest part about those coffees. the df64 is just the cheapest thing you can buy to drop those nice burrs into.

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 11, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thanks whoever posted upthread about portafilter temp making shots take way longer.

I was really struggling with my new Breville Infuser to get anything even comparable to my EC155. Every shot was either way too quick or I was only getting like 10g of liquid. but pushing the portafilter temp up fixed it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

hypnophant posted:

I've got the version of the p64 with faster thread pitch

Can you elaborate? Site says (in essence) that it’s an MblahblahX1.0 thread.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bolind posted:

Can you elaborate? Site says (in essence) that it’s an MblahblahX1.0 thread.

from a prima email

quote:

B) Changes
Starting at the top of the grinder and working down:
1. Adjustment Markings / Threadings
The design on the numbering has changed a bit, and they’ve also doubled the amount of markings between numbers.
They doubled the thread pitch on the grind adjustment. With the stepless adjustment, we didn’t notice any loss of fine dialing in on espresso, but this did cut the rotation to and from a filter grind down (which was nice).
The numbering has been reversed. Previously the numbers increased clockwise around the adjustment neck. They now decrease. A bit of an odd switch up there, but you adjust as a new reference point quickly.

I got mine in february, not sure how it compares to what’s shipping now. If the website’s accurate they’ve gone back to clockwise numbers (smaller = finer) but idk about the thread pitch. FWIW I would prefer a finer pitch even though it would mean further to rotate to get to the filter range, but it’s a minor annoyance.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I got my 48oz of “free” German coffee from that “giveaway,” what should I do with it? Pulling espresso with the way the beans smell.. oof

Cold brew?
Baking?
Freeze for future emergencies?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just do a pourover or french press and if it tastes like rear end then cold brew the whole batch.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
New coffee thread title:

if it tastes like rear end just cold brew the whole batch

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

Sunbeam poo poo, especially old sunbeam poo poo that was made in Sydney, is loving bulletproof. When I worked there I had a lady bring in an electric frypan that was 30 years old and all it needed was a new cord. Their aussie made poo poo is bulletproof.

I realize this post is now weeks old and this reply has nothing to do with coffee but ... my parents got married in '72 and my uncle gave them a Sunbeam toaster that he'd repaired as their wedding present. That thing lasted another 30 years making beautiful toast and being a shiny chrome wonder. The durability of that one appliance is how my parents taught me about planned obsolescence.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got an IMS basket for my La Pavoni to replace and have pulled 4 shots through it now. It's been a worthwhile upgrade, my pre-infusion is filling out much nicer now, where before I'd get a donut I now get a nice even distribution across the basket. Taste wise this has reduced the acidity and sourness of this honey processed I'm currently on. Changed the flavour from dominant lemon and allowed some cherry and toffee sweetness to come through on the back end. A worthwhile upgrade for sure.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Megabound posted:

I got an IMS basket for my La Pavoni to replace and have pulled 4 shots through it now. It's been a worthwhile upgrade, my pre-infusion is filling out much nicer now, where before I'd get a donut I now get a nice even distribution across the basket. Taste wise this has reduced the acidity and sourness of this honey processed I'm currently on. Changed the flavour from dominant lemon and allowed some cherry and toffee sweetness to come through on the back end. A worthwhile upgrade for sure.

I just ordered an IMS basket and shower screen for my Silvia yesterday. Curious to see what my impressions are as well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got rid of my gaggia classic with the PID in favor of keeping my Robot. At least the market for this stuff is pretty resilient since I sold it for what I bought it for.

Still trying to get decent results out of the nanofoamer. Part of me thinks I need to keep trying with the nanofoamer while the other part tells me to buy a Bellman steamer on a Black Friday deal since steaming milk seems much easier than using a frother. I was able to get easy results where the milk looked like paint with the Gaggia.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nwin posted:

Got rid of my gaggia classic with the PID in favor of keeping my Robot. At least the market for this stuff is pretty resilient since I sold it for what I bought it for.

Still trying to get decent results out of the nanofoamer. Part of me thinks I need to keep trying with the nanofoamer while the other part tells me to buy a Bellman steamer on a Black Friday deal since steaming milk seems much easier than using a frother. I was able to get easy results where the milk looked like paint with the Gaggia.

Is that the little battery-powered whisk? I was never able to get good results with one of those but I'm told if you preheat the milk they work better

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hypnophant posted:

Is that the little battery-powered whisk? I was never able to get good results with one of those but I'm told if you preheat the milk they work better

Yeah, it’s not a whisk but the screen looks like the same mesh as a French press would have, albeit the diameter of a nickel.

I tried with some Amazon batteries at first and it sucked, which is when I read reviews and the manual which said energized lithium will give more than enough oomph to help it along.

I’ve always microwaved the milk for a minute and I still get inconsistent results, but I’m very new at it. One day I’ll make some latte art instead of overfilling my cup or ending up with a big white blob.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Had a recommendation to get one of these to use as a bellows for the niche and it does the trick. This was done without running any beans through, just what was left over from my morning coffee pumped out the afternoon I got the cup, 0.3g

Difficult item to search for, I got mine off eBay for cheaper than this but here's an Amazon link some mixture of silicone massage cup will get you there.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 15, 2021

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
lol at sputum cup but this is actually a really good idea. I only single dose in my Encore but I feel like I have to go a little crazy with the "percussive maintenance" to empty it out when I clean it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any of you eventually developed some kind of caffeine sensitivity or weird body reactions after drinking a lot of espresso daily for months / years?

If I drink espresso I get chest tightness / headache / etc, but pour overs are fine. I've been on the 36-72g/day train for a little over a year now.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I drink 2 20 gram shots most mornings, occasionally a third shot in the afternoon, and sometimes on weekends i make a 60g liter of drip instead of the shots. A fourth shot would probably get me a little jittery but i don’t think i’ve ever had chest tightness from drinking coffee, I would definitely cut back if i started having symptoms like that, and probably talk to my doctor about it to be safe. I did cut back at one point when i was working odd hours and needed to improve my sleep quality; I went down to one small tim hortons coffee a day, and had bad headaches and was in an awful mood for about a week but adapted after that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you eventually developed some kind of caffeine sensitivity or weird body reactions after drinking a lot of espresso daily for months / years?

If I drink espresso I get chest tightness / headache / etc, but pour overs are fine. I've been on the 36-72g/day train for a little over a year now.

I wonder if it's the oils. Does 3 cups of French Press have the same effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I occasionally break out in hives and get real flush. It’s very inconvenient because it’s so inconsistent.