Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In Metroid 2 Samus had to deal with a long established Metroid infestation, no way any X could be there in the nest. They're way more intelligent than what they seem at first, they knew to steer well clear of the zone.

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't vaporise X. Only snacking on them stops them.

They're subject to the second principle of thermodynamics like everything else, you can vaporise X, it's just a matter of firepower.
Samus arm cannon and missiles aren't powerful enough, blowing up a planet is, it's unknown where the line is between these two extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There's only one way that we know of, but there's obviously other ways to take care of them since Raven Beak and his followers successfully managed to contain them without the help of Samus or Metroids.

e: Yeah, Samus' arm cannon isn't enough, but as Dread shows us, her arm cannon also isn't capable of damaging robots or strong enemies like Kraid (unless it's charged or has plasma beam). The fact that she can't just shoot X with her weapons doesn't mean that they could stand up to ship level weaponry, and X clearly can't survive in the vacuum of space and might not be able to withstand high temperatures either, since blowing up a planet is enough to kill them.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 14, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

The X can go through metal just fine, it's how they infected Samus even though she was wearing her Varia Suit, and there's also a big robot with an organic brain in Fusion that the X infect. There may however be a limit to how much metal they can go through, like radiation, and Elun did have a huge security system that scanned Samus when she first entered. It's likely that those scanners are all over Elun, and if an X got too close to the wall, it would get vaporized.

The Varia suit is partially organic which is how the X infected it. They seem to be able mimic metal and travel through it only if it has organic components. They are noted as being Gelatinous, I assume that normally they just squeeze through cracks and openings. (In Fusion they were also noted not to be able to get to other parts of the Lab until the doors were unlocked for them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 14, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The X can go through metal just fine, it's how they infected Samus even though she was wearing her Varia Suit, and there's also a big robot with an organic brain in Fusion that the X infect. There may however be a limit to how much metal they can go through, like radiation, and Elun did have a huge security system that scanned Samus when she first entered. It's likely that those scanners are all over Elun, and if an X got too close to the wall, it would get vaporized.

The security robot, "BOX" is not infected the first type it attacks Samus. Its armor is damaged in the battle, exposing the organic brain. It is only after this that it gets infected by the X and it has already been infected by the time of the second battle. X can't fight the robot masters on its own.

Omobono posted:

In Metroid 2 Samus had to deal with a long established Metroid infestation, no way any X could be there in the nest. They're way more intelligent than what they seem at first, they knew to steer well clear of the zone.

They're subject to the second principle of thermodynamics like everything else, you can vaporise X, it's just a matter of firepower.
Samus arm cannon and missiles aren't powerful enough, blowing up a planet is, it's unknown where the line is between these two extremes.

Are we sure about this? I'm tickled by the idea of there being a massive cloud of X, just floating in space where SRX-388 was.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 14, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My (extremely limited) understanding was that the reason you can't shoot parasite-form X is that they just choose not to interact with your bullet. They have to take physical form to do anything, and you can shoot that, but doing so just forces them back into parasite form where they are once more invulnerable.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Samus might not have a big enough gun, but maybe that custom arm cannon Raven Beak has outputs enough juice to fry an X.

Also for why Raven Beak let out the X? Probably LITERALLY so they would infect Quiet Robe's corpse and turn the EMMI back on. Quiet Robe probably cut Raven Beak out of the control loops so he couldn't do it himself. And it isn't like there is anyone but Raven Beak left in his faction so he doesn't have to be concerned about an X getting to any of his allies, since he has nobody but robots left.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nebrilos posted:

Are we sure about this? I'm tickled by the idea of there being a massive cloud of X, just floating in space where SRX-388 was.
That's an horrifying thought, not gonna lie.

The Lone Badger posted:

My (extremely limited) understanding was that the reason you can't shoot parasite-form X is that they just choose not to interact with your bullet. They have to take physical form to do anything, and you can shoot that, but doing so just forces them back into parasite form where they are once more invulnerable.

No, in Fusion the arm cannon briefly stunned X in jelly parasite form, they're just really resilient.
They ignore wall collision in the games but (in my opinion) that's half tech limitations half stylistic choice.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Actually, why did Quiet Robe-X reactivate the Emmys? My first thought was that Quiet Robe-X would know everything that Quiet Robe knew, so it would know that Samus is part metroid and is the greatest threat to X and that the Emmys are trying to kill Samus, so reactivating them makes sense. But it would also know that the Emmys are trying to harvest the metroid DNA from Samus, presumably to clone more metroids, so reactivating them seems like a bad idea.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Actually, why did Quiet Robe-X reactivate the Emmys? My first thought was that Quiet Robe-X would know everything that Quiet Robe knew, so it would know that Samus is part metroid and is the greatest threat to X and that the Emmys are trying to kill Samus, so reactivating them makes sense. But it would also know that the Emmys are trying to harvest the metroid DNA from Samus, presumably to clone more metroids, so reactivating them seems like a bad idea.

They can turn the Emmi back off when Samus is dead,

Raven Beak probably feels he is bad rear end enough to make his way down to the EMMI and grab the DNA at that point then scamper off the planet while blowing it up to finish off the X

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

They can turn the Emmi back off when Samus is dead,

Raven Beak probably feels he is bad rear end enough to make his way down to the EMMI and grab the DNA at that point then scamper off the planet while blowing it up to finish off the X

I mean, he punked Samus so hard her powerups popped out like she was a blue hedgehog, the arrogance is not without some basis.

Although he should have just killed her instead of whatever harebrained plan he concocted. You come at the queen you better not miss.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Varia suit is partially organic which is how the X infected it. They seem to be able mimic metal and travel through it only if it has organic components. They are noted as being Gelatinous, I assume that normally they just squeeze through cracks and openings. (In Fusion they were also noted not to be able to get to other parts of the Lab until the doors were unlocked for them.

I was going to say I don't remember anything implying the Varia suit is partially organic, but after looking it up apparently it's right there in the intro to Fusion where she says that the organic parts of the suit were infected which is why they had to be surgically removed. That, along with someone pointing out that the security robot wasn't infected until after it cracked open, yeah I think you're right. The X can't actually phase through metal. So keeping them sealed up in Elun works fine as a containment method, especially since as you noted they couldn't get through certain doors in the BSL.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

I mean, he punked Samus so hard her powerups popped out like she was a blue hedgehog, the arrogance is not without some basis.

On the other hand, this isn't really that hard to do. It seems to happen to Samus a lot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

Although he should have just killed her instead of whatever harebrained plan he concocted. You come at the queen you better not miss.

At the moment, Raven Beak probably doesn't feel like he did miss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

On the other hand, this isn't really that hard to do. It seems to happen to Samus a lot.

I'm not sure if it's intrinsic to Chozo technology, or whether it's her jury-rigged heavily-modified suit that keeps experiencing warranty-failure.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

At the moment, Raven Beak probably doesn't feel like he did miss.

I'm sure he doesn't.
Let's ask him again after the boss fight*, shall we?

*and/or getting X'd in a cutscene and/or whatever could happen that'd make him not a boss fight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was going to say I don't remember anything implying the Varia suit is partially organic, but after looking it up apparently it's right there in the intro to Fusion where she says that the organic parts of the suit were infected which is why they had to be surgically removed. That, along with someone pointing out that the security robot wasn't infected until after it cracked open, yeah I think you're right. The X can't actually phase through metal. So keeping them sealed up in Elun works fine as a containment method, especially since as you noted they couldn't get through certain doors in the BSL.

Fun fact the reason the suit looks different in this game from the Fusion one, is because it’s starting to regrow it’s missing parts.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Which then raises interesting questions about missile and energy tanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nebrilos posted:

Given it mimicking QR's last words, my read on it was copying his actions without intent. We've seen that the X are intelligent in SAX from Fusion, but I figure they'd still be groggy after just taking someone over.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You keep firing the omega beam for too long after the EMMI has already gone into his animation for his face armor breaking off. You could have avoided that whole runaround. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

16:00 -- Doable, yes. Unintended, no. It's one of the intentional skips in the game to get out into a much later area. Well done.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

That last puzzle requires an item you haven’t got yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So I am pretty sure on that Shinespark Puzzle, could they not just slide. I think sliding in Speedboster breaks blocks. No need to shoot.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Oberndorf posted:

That last puzzle requires an item you haven’t got yet.

No you can do it without that.

The way to do it is by Speed Boosting from the outside and wall jumping into slide. You need to slide the second you hit the ground, and once you get into the bigger room at the end you start the Shinespark and you'll have just enough time to drop the bomb and launch yourself.

Otherwise yeah you can come back with a future upgrade.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Those brain fights you need to do to kill the EMMIs have a very NES feel to them. Don't know how better to describe that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So regarding that speed booster puzzle:

You can slide while running with the speed boost. Doing so will break through beam blocks.

The way that puzzle works is you're meant to slide through those blocks and over the pit blocks. You'll be forced into morph ball form while boosting and should continue to the small room on the left; then, come out of morph and store a spark. Then, re-enter morph, backtrack, lay a bomb at the bomb blocks, and ballspark.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The shinespark puzzle question has already been answered here (I did it by coming back with a later item the first time, but there is a way to do it now; it requires figuring out some properties of the slide that aren't immediately obvious).

As for the infinite bomb jumping one, it is absolutely possible to do it that way (I've seen someone pull that off in a stream), but I don't recommend it. I think you need space jump and possibly power bombs to get up there without infinite bomb jumping, though? Regardless, it's for something minor (a small missile pack)so I don't recommend practising bomb jumps to get it now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Regardless, it's for something minor (a small missile pack)so I don't recommend practising bomb jumps to get it now.

That's not true, actually. If you get that missile tank at the point Nat is now, there's a pitfall block beneath it - you are redirected immediately into the item room containing the Space Jump.

Now, how to IBJ: Use controller rumble. Right when you feel the bomb go off, press the button again. When you feel that bomb go off, press the button again. And so on. You will quickly and easily get into a rhythm.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

That's not true, actually. If you get that missile tank at the point Nat is now, there's a pitfall block beneath it - you are redirected immediately into the item room containing the Space Jump.

Heh, don't think I realised that. I think the person I saw do it must not have gone past the missile pack, which is pretty funny. Of course, given... certain things... I stand by my statement that Nat shouldn't try ;)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

The bomb block was referred to as possibly an infinite bomb jump puzzle and I want to make clear that the ibj is never ever an "intended" solution to a powerup.

It is an advanced movement technique and can definitely be used to reach otherwise inaccessible areas and powerups earlier but I don't want to see Nat go through the pain of trying to perform an unfamiliar technique.

Otherwise, good job on that morphball shinespark missile powerup, wow.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Obvious in hindsight, but this just occurred to me - the new Aeion upgrades all come from very distinctly different-looking Chozo statues than the older upgrades that are the ones Samus has had in the past, which use the same style of Chozo statues as previous games. Is this just an indication that they were designed by different groups of Chozo - perhaps the Thoha and Mawkin, respectively?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For anyone not following the Metroid Dread thread, Dread got nominated for GOTY. Get your votes in: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Otherwise yeah you can come back with a future upgrade.

It should be noted that I actually did it that way but the timing is extremely strict, since you're storing the spark before you enter the tunnel, so you have to shoot the blocks, use that item, then bomb the blocks and shinespark up. That takes a lot of time and it took me nearly half an hour, you're basically trying to shinespark on the very last frame before it disappears which is rough. The intended way is much, much easier.

At any rate I was really impressed with Nat getting that missile expansion on the slope. I would've never thought of that, I'm pretty sure I just came back later from the other side.

TaurusOxford posted:

For anyone not following the Metroid Dread thread, Dread got nominated for GOTY. Get your votes in: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

I guess Dread is the only one I care about on that list, since my actual GOTY wasn't nominated (it was Persona 5 Strikers).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

And now we have my favorite power up in the game, the Storm Missiles! How can you not love a charge up barrage to use that massive stockpile of missiles you've built up all at once? The fact it hits like a freight train only adds to the fun.

As for your argument on missiles being on another fire button, I disagree. The way it is now is perfect for how the 2D series is suited, and an alt fire works much better for Prime than it does for Dread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Storm Missiles completely change up the way you can fight bosses. Instead of having to get a full firing opportunity at bosses going forward, you just have to not get hit until you can lock on enough. The barrage will auto-aim while you're getting out of the way.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 18, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I see you guys forgot about the Pulse Scan, and that melee kills frozen enemies.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i cant wait for another ep talking about how the missiles work.

also the space jump.

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 18, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Escue is always a pain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Golux posted:

Escue is always a pain!

Unless you shinespark into him at the start of the fight (you can charge from outside the boss room). Then he's easier.