Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zotix posted:

I seriously don't get the bitching about a leveling experience that takes 10h to get to max level.

Cause it's not fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

...why would slowing advancement be the right direction?

All gear/content finished in a day or two? You do need some sort of hamster wheel/chase for people to keep playing the game. My understanding (I didn't play RU) from the podcast and other news sources that did is that islands were giving almost 10x materials and the community manager said the store was refreshing way too often with way too many materials. You're supposed to farm some, it's part of the game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Sintor posted:

I'm curious if people who take that long did any side quests? They're definitely a trap if you want to push through asap.

Ochowie posted:

I’m sorry but if it took you 8 hours to get to 22 that’s not the games fault. I don’t even know what you could have been doing to take that long to do 12 levels.

Zotix posted:

My first play through took me 13h to hit level 50. You were doing something wrong.

Yeah I was actually playing the game naturally rather than deliberately skipping everything outside of the main quest. Most people are not going to play like that coming into the game blind. I did most of the sidequests up through the salt desert and killed a world boss.

I will be better prepared for the actual launch now that I know all the side stuff is braindead MMO chores that actually penalize your time.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 15, 2021

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

...why would slowing advancement be the right direction?

They weren't referring to slowing the leveling process. More of slowing the progression of gearing at end-game. The NA/ EU client is a frankenstein client. It basically has all of the catchup stuff that current Korea has, but they are stripping out T2/T3 end-game content. In the beta you could hit like 5 islands and be able to gear up to itemlevel 500-600 in like 2 days. That's not intended progression. They will likely tweak those 5 islands and a few other things to bring the end-game progression in-line. Most of the experienced players don't expect T1 to last beyond a month or two anyway.

If anything the 1-50 leveling is getting faster and faster.

Cinara posted:

Cause it's not fun?

And your only argument at this point is that the leveling isn't like PoE and is like an MMO, which is funny because it's an MMO, not an ARPG. A bit of research before playing would probably lead you to less of a reaction.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zotix posted:

I seriously don't get the bitching about a leveling experience that takes 10h to get to max level.

:thunk:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

"This MMO doesn't take very long to get to max level, as compared to other MMO, and therefore you can get to the fun part of the game faster" and "Having to put time and effort into a comparatively boring levelling experience is bad game design" are two opinions that do not contradict each other.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
and it's a very, very boring leveling experience. it's almost entirely focused on teaching you the ways to interact with its various currencies and tasks, and not at all introducing you to anything nuanced or interesting about actually playing your class. it's not fun to start a class and realize you won't actually get to know if you like it until after hours of tedium. it may go faster the second time, but it's worse because it's not even novel at that point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zotix posted:

And your only argument at this point is that the leveling isn't like PoE and is like an MMO, which is funny because it's an MMO, not an ARPG. A bit of research before playing would probably lead you to less of a reaction.

Nah, this is bullshit. Those other MMOs with super tedious leveling are bad too. Wow's leveling is insanely quick even if you're just fooling around because there isn't a main quest you have to get through, and the beginning of FF is slow because it serves the actual purpose of onboarding people who have never played MMOs before.

Lost Ark requires MSQ completion while also having a bunch of insanely tedious quests that don't actually teach players much of anything. You get a tutorial quest for this or that thing and then the other 95% of the sidequesting is just bullshit that doesn't matter and should probably just get deleted from the game so new players don't fall for the trap. The only thing LA teaches new players about mmos is that they suck, which isn't actually true but is definitely the conclusion I would get from the sub-20 experience if it was the first MMO I'd played.

Your only argument for this is "suck it up bitch, the MMO market is like this" when it is demonstrably not, and you should probably shove the attitude about doing research if you're gonna say wrong poo poo in the forum for MMOs. We're all brokebrained weirdos in here. Lmao "do the research" what the gently caress?

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
This game has some insanely fun raids with cool mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHiJToAhGZ0

Check this out for example. you straight up play a platformer as one of the gimmicks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Your only argument for this is "suck it up bitch, the MMO market is like this" when it is demonstrably not, and you should probably shove the attitude about doing research if you're gonna say wrong poo poo in the forum for MMOs. We're all brokebrained weirdos in here. Lmao "do the research" what the gently caress?

Lmao. I didn't know much about the beta, but 15 minutes of researching the game before-hand and I knew to skip the side quests. This isn't some super big secret, and most people in almost every other community I've frequented knew to skip the side quests. I'm not saying that having the side quests is great game design. What I did say is that power leveling through the level's is possible in 10 hours if you know what you're doing, and is possible even by non-speed runners in 12-15 hours.

If someone can't look up information about a game that's been out for 3 years for optimal leveling that's on them. Also, this ties into thinking it's closer to Diablo/ PoE as an action RPG than an MMO. A simple 5 minute google search and a video watch about the game reveals that the action RPG basically just applies to the combat, but all of the supporting systems are an MMO.

It's 2021, I understand that effective googling is a marketable skill in the workforce, but this isn't using some complex Boolean operators in their searches to gather this info.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 15, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zotix posted:

What I did say is that power leveling through the level's is possible in 10 hours if you know what you're doing, and is possible even by non-speed runners in 12-15 hours.

you do get why people might not be down with 10 hours of tedium plus X amount of time doing research on how to streamline a run, right

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Zotix posted:

It takes 10h to go from 10-50 the first time on an account with cut scenes that aren't skippable the first time.

It takes like 3h to get to level 30.

The fastest fresh account leveling speedrun I am aware of is a 10:13 russian server gunslinger run, which is on a max mobility, high damage class with immediate access to excellent clear and single target skills, and with a player knowing exactly where to go, skipping all cutscenes, knowing what dungeon trash is needed for triggers and what can be skipped, an exact plan for leveling skills, etc. I think anything under 15 hours for a new player has to be considered extraordinarily fast. Claiming that it takes 10h to get to max level and pretending that a person who isn't already heavily invested will have anything close to that experience is extremely disingenuous. And the difference between this game and New World is that the start of New World puts you right into the core gameplay loop rather than starting with hours of delivery quests and cutscenes before you get to see it. imagine Warframe or Destiny not letting you shoot anything until you spent a couple hours doing fetch quests on a station to craft a weapon, that's about how dumb the start of Lost Ark is.

If it took just as long to level but you were dumped out of the tutorial at the LOTR castle siege scene instead at least a new player would be seeing content the game does well and not start out slogging through 4+ hours of the worst, most dated, generic stuff in the game. You can say 'it' isn't like poe' all you want but they are marketing it as an 'MMO Action RPG' and going after those players. Assuming that players from a genre that's about killing monsters are going to spend hours spamming G, one shotting trash, and sitting through generic unskippable cutscenes to get to the 'good part' instead of quitting is crazy, and if you read the thread you have seen how many people tried the beta and quit before level 25, rightly saying they don't understand why anyone would be excited about the game.

I did actually time my beta leveling. I had done 1-25 in the alpha on a different class, did the main quest + stat unlock quests, soloed the dungeons on hard (slower), watched some of the skippable cutscenes that looked cool, and it took me just over 20h to hit 50 on an artillerist (which does have poor movement and delayed damage but excellent AE).

I also did a couple test runs actually trying to go fast on other beta servers (so this includes unskippable cutscenes and pet unlock/stronghold quests) and was able to finish King's Tomb, hit level 30 and unlock the class testing tool in just over 4h on a soulfist and 4:30 on a paladin. (The 10:13 speedrun does this at around 3:30.)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cyrn posted:

The fastest fresh account leveling speedrun I am aware of is a 10:13 russian server gunslinger run, which is on a max mobility, high damage class with immediate access to excellent clear and single target skills, and with a player knowing exactly where to go, skipping all cutscenes, knowing what dungeon trash is needed for triggers and what can be skipped, an exact plan for leveling skills, etc. I think anything under 15 hours for a new player has to be considered extraordinarily fast. Claiming that it takes 10h to get to max level and pretending that a person who isn't already heavily invested will have anything close to that experience is extremely disingenuous. And the difference between this game and New World is that the start of New World puts you right into the core gameplay loop rather than starting with hours of delivery quests and cutscenes before you get to see it. imagine Warframe or Destiny not letting you shoot anything until you spent a couple hours doing fetch quests on a station to craft a weapon, that's about how dumb the start of Lost Ark is.

If it took just as long to level but you were dumped out of the tutorial at the LOTR castle siege scene instead at least a new player would be seeing content the game does well and not start out slogging through 4+ hours of the worst, most dated, generic stuff in the game. You can say 'it' isn't like poe' all you want but they are marketing it as an 'MMO Action RPG' and going after those players. Assuming that players from a genre that's about killing monsters are going to spend hours spamming G, one shotting trash, and sitting through generic unskippable cutscenes to get to the 'good part' instead of quitting is crazy, and if you read the thread you have seen how many people tried the beta and quit before level 25, rightly saying they don't understand why anyone would be excited about the game.

I did actually time my beta leveling. I had done 1-25 in the alpha on a different class, did the main quest + stat unlock quests, soloed the dungeons on hard (slower), watched some of the skippable cutscenes that looked cool, and it took me just over 20h to hit 50 on an artillerist (which does have poor movement and delayed damage but excellent AE).

I also did a couple test runs actually trying to go fast on other beta servers (so this includes unskippable cutscenes and pet unlock/stronghold quests) and was able to finish King's Tomb, hit level 30 and unlock the class testing tool in just over 4h on a soulfist and 4:30 on a paladin. (The 10:13 speedrun does this at around 3:30.)

No. New World was incredibly devious in dragging out the leveling experience to 100 hours before players got to embark on another 50-100 hours of Watermark grinding.

One game has a boring leveling experience that takes 10-15 hours, and has years of content build in. Another has 100 hours of leveling and zero to do at end-game. Oh and Dupes, extreme de-sync, an ever changing weekly meta due to bugs dictating everything.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 15, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zotix posted:

No. New World was incredibly devious in dragging out the leveling experience to 100 hours before players got to embark on another 50-100 hours of Watermark grinding.

One game has a boring leveling experience that takes 10-15 hours, and has years of content build in. Another has 100 hours of leveling and zero to do at end-game. Oh and Dupes, extreme de-sync, an ever changing weekly meta due to bugs dictating everything.

You’re being so insanely disingenuous that I have to just assume you’re doing a dumb bit.

You asked why people were complaining about the tedious leveling and got an answer. Not liking it is your problem, not anyone else’s. Go be a pissbaby about it somewhere else.

Lmao “do the research”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if i had done the research and found that lost ark had a dozen plus hours before it got entertaining at all, i would have simply not tried it in the first place

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You’re being so insanely disingenuous that I have to just assume you’re doing a dumb bit.

You asked why people were complaining about the tedious leveling and got an answer. Not liking it is your problem, not anyone else’s. Go be a pissbaby about it somewhere else.

Lmao “do the research”

Nobody in the thread has been able to even begin to describe good MMO leveling, yet they are the first to complain about bear asses lmao. I guess we could scatter 500-1000 lore pages around the world so everyone can run up to it and hit E, and then at end game go "What's the Lore anyway? lel."

Smilegate has made the leveling experience faster and faster throughout the years, and that's still not good enough for some people. Oh wait, the game sits as 'Overwhelmingly positive' on Steam(Do your research).

It's also one of the highest viewed MMO's on Twitch, on a platform located where the game doesn't even have a localized version yet.

Cease to Hope posted:

if i had done the research and found that lost ark had a dozen plus hours before it got entertaining at all, i would have simply not tried it in the first place

That's on you.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 15, 2021

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
At the risk of being that idiot that played it wrong - I tried this out last week, having only just heard of it from a mention in another thread here, and put in maybe 15-ish hours getting to the low 20's playing with a friend, doing side quests, not skipping cutscenes, and we had a lot of fun with it, and are now looking forward to playing it when it releases. The story isn't high art or anything, but it was entertaining, and when I was making jokes at its expense it felt more like I was joking with it than tearing it to pieces. Quests might not be anything amazing, but they're over in 30 seconds and you're on to the next thing before I had time to hate any of them.

We got as far as a dungeon before the beta ended - I don't remember the name, it was an underground city ruin with a final boss fight that involved reflecting a light beam at it - and that seemed pretty awesome as well, and a step up in spectacle from those before, so I was left feeling pretty excited about what's to come.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
This poo poo's getting wild.

As far as "knowing to skip side quests" I didn't watch a video, I did the math after seeing MSQ give me 40% of a level and a side quest giving me 6% but taking as long or longer. About the only non MSQ questing I did was the "Urgent" area popup or whatever the gently caress those were called. I did the first "make an npc love you" quest, it gave gently caress all so I skipped those too. I also tried blowing up mobs in an area repeatedly to see if grinding was worth it and it wasn't. Those are the typical ways to level in an mmo and an arpg, if you wanted to level fast then that's pretty much how you evaluate it in nearly every game. If someone wants to flagellate themselves with awful quest rewards and yell about the "spirit of the game" that's cool, just not an experience I'm into so I moved on to the most efficient leveling.

I gotta say I'm a little confused about all the dithering over even what looks like a 20 hour leveling cycle (to max mind you, most say the game is interesting after a few hours) for your first character if you pace yourself, in the MMO HMO subforum. Hit me with the games that don't have inane first leveling experiences according to some. Even the critically acclaimed copy-pasta-here FF14 has sections that make me want to throw myself off a bridge. Post-ARR/post-expansion quest lines you can't skip that take ten hours and neither reward XP on an unleveled job nor any meaningful character progression... that's a real slog. Except, some people actually like that story and I just want to endgame. Different strokes. Your second character? Hope you like daily roulette for weeks or even-longer-than-Lost-Ark in procedurally generated boredom like POTD and HOH. I was one of the first 60s for east coast goons on New World and you want to talk about a poo poo tier leveling experience, my god. Turns out the fastest way to level was to run in a triangle between starting towns hitting up task boards endlessly. Even the incredibly crystallized version of tasks (loot 6 chests, kill 9 dudes) felt insanely repetitive. Doesn't take 100 hours at all, but it feels like 1000 hours. POE feels pretty odd your very first time through, or at least it did for me, having no skill gems and not knowing to look up certain crafting recipes or to just sprint past poo poo endlessly cause #darksouls. My incredibly verbose point, I suppose, is that Lost Ark isn't committing some grave new sin, the amount of slog time is more like a show taking a couple episodes to get started instead of your friends saying "Yeah, but Agents of SHIELD gets really loving good in season three, just gotta get there bro!" Leveling timing for LA is also well known, game is 3+ years old.

It's totally cool for people to bounce off that early leveling experience, every game isn't for every person. Academically I'm curious what MMO they played that didn't have a slow start, but that's curiosity not an accusation. At the end of the day, we're all broke-brained for playing MMOs anyway, it's just what flavor of purple you wanna lick off the windows.

On to more entertaining and incredibly cringe poo poo: Rox (female community manager) on that same podcast later in the video apparently had to defend their choice to add different starting outfits because it changed the, and I quote, 'default amount of booba' and then they devolved into a weird censorship debate that ended in her with a semi-apology and a guarantee that you could inspect your pixels as half naked as Koreans, it was just different starting gear. Hearing her and the streamers constantly use the word booba was rough enough, but getting the weird half-apology was ... woof.

Sintor fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 15, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

Nobody in the thread has been able to even begin to describe good MMO leveling, yet they are the first to complain about bear asses lmao. I guess we could scatter 500-1000 lore pages around the world so everyone can run up to it and hit E, and then at end game go "What's the Lore anyway? lel."

Smilegate has made the leveling experience faster and faster throughout the years, and that's still not good enough for some people. Oh wait, the game sits as 'Overwhelmingly positive' on Steam(Do your research).

It's also one of the highest viewed MMO's on Twitch, on a platform located where the game doesn't even have a localized version yet.

That's on you.

So are getting paid to simp for this game or is your personal identity tied to its perception of being good or some poo poo?

Leveling in most MMOs generally serves a tutorial function. Lost Arks leveling is unimportant and full of terrible UX. Hands waving away 15 hours of leveling as, 'not that bad' is worth the classic, 'well, how would you make it better then?' is kinda dumb.

And the Overwhelmingly Posititve rating exists because they opened up the ratings for the game for a couple hours and all the fans spammed ratings on the game

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 15, 2021

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Oh awesome I was looking for where the next meltdowns would be happening after the New World thread was starting to settle down. Thanks everyone.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
All we need now is the next Showtime to have a meltdown, banme and then steal a goon guild's name at launch out of spite.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Leveling in most MMOs generally serves a tutorial function. Lost Arks leveling is unimportant and full of terrible UX. Hands waving away 15 hours of leveling as, 'not that bad' is worth the classic, 'well, how would you make it better then?' is kinda dumb.

just imagine that people may not have played mmo-arpgs before (i hadn't) and may be unfamiliar with the controls, the playstyle, and the entire concept of not being able to use all your abilities

every game is someone's first game. you can ignore that, but it's stupid to do so

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dynamite Dog posted:

just imagine that people may not have played mmo-arpgs before (i hadn't) and may be unfamiliar with the controls, the playstyle, and the entire concept of not being able to use all your abilities

every game is someone's first game. you can ignore that, but it's stupid to do so

Yep - that's actually a really interesting discussion: "How do we setup the story of our world, and successfully tutorialize the game with [these targets] in mind?"

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
Game's pretty good from the first time playing in the recent beta, the hype seems on point; plays well and its pretty fun. Got post 50 on the RU server and figuring out what end game with gearing/dungeons/raids the past few days.

A lot of strong Urianger FF14 style 'ACKSHHULLLLLYYY' style posting but ya know if you don't like it play if you don't.. don't?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My problem with leveling in both MMOs and ARPGs is that everything that happens before max level is inconsequential. Any loot you find will be objectively worse than loot you will find in 30 minutes when you're a level or two higher, any skill build you plan out and implement will be replaced a few hours later with more skill points, nothing has a lasting impact on your character and everything you do will be replaced ASAP. It's like a time tax on a new character before you can start participating in the fun parts of the game with it. So because of that there's absolutely nothing engaging about any of it. I don't want to even look at gear that drops before max level because time spent contemplating its stats is time spent slowing down the leveling process for no tangible gain.

If a new player needs a tutorial that explains the genre, controls and objectives to them they should be able to optionally select it instead of having it tied to every character they create. How many new players still need that tutorial on their second character, or third?

What benefit does making a ~10+ hour tutorial full of inconsequential content mandatory as part of every new character you create have? Is there any tangible net positive to having to go through the leveling process as every new class you want to play?

How is it better than starting me at max level and letting me learn my class's skills while I already have them all and can earn valuable long-term gear?

Like someone mentioned earlier they have boosts and occasionally give them away so that's cool and hopefully I won't need to spend 40 hours leveling through snoozefest content to have 4 characters but it sounds like literally the only reason the leveling process exists is to sell boosts and to make you stick with a game that you sunk a bunch of time into so that you don't feel like that time was wasted.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So are getting paid to simp for this game or is your personal identity tied to its perception of being good or some poo poo?

And the Overwhelmingly Posititve rating exists because they opened up the ratings for the game for a couple hours and all the fans spammed ratings on the game

I don't base my overall impressions of a game based on leveling process that can be completed in half of a day.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zotix posted:

I don't base my overall impressions of a game based on leveling process that can be completed in half of a day.

i feel like looking at a 12-15h leveling process and calling it "half a day" says a lot more about you than this game, lmao

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

i feel like looking at a 12-15h leveling process and calling it "half a day" says a lot more about you than this game, lmao

12 hours is half a day, but nice that we are resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 15, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So I play a lot of ARPG games and have played a bunch of MMOs and the leveling design is the most streamlined I've ever seen in any game ever. I did get to max level over the course of a few days but I was doing all the side quests. I didn't feel like the side quests slowed me down because the game literally aligns all the quests to be a straight line through the zones. There was zero backtracking needed ever. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air after playing New World and having to spend the majority of your time running around. I didn't realize you could go even faster skipping all the side quests which is probably what i'll do on release. I don't think I've ever cared about any lore in any game besides Diablo so I tend to just skip all the quest lore and do the objectives in every game. I'm totally happy with how the quests are set up in Lost ARK. I never felt like I was wasting my time because I was always like 15 seconds from the next objective, and I never had to stop and plan my route to do the quests efficiently because they all started and ended in the same places. I can't think of any other MMO or ARPG I've played where I could hit end game within 3 days besides Path of Exile and that's only after playing 8 or so seasons in a row and understanding the fastest way to go.

I look forward to doing end game stuff with goons on launch.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Sintor posted:

It's totally cool for people to bounce off that early leveling experience, every game isn't for every person. Academically I'm curious what MMO they played that didn't have a slow start, but that's curiosity not an accusation. At the end of the day, we're all broke-brained for playing MMOs anyway, it's just what flavor of purple you wanna lick off the windows.

From an MMO vet's perspective, the leveling is great and lets you rush to endgame and get to the good stuff very quickly and painlessly. From an uninvested player's perspective the first few hours are completely unrepresentative of even the later leveling experience. The alpha class prequels they cut (the ones I played at least) addressed this problem elegantly in ways the new prologue does not. Those scenarios were original non-generic fantasy, had significantly higher production quality and were obviously made later in the dev cycle and designed to preview the cool poo poo they do with the engine later on to new players. And for the story people it gave a much stronger narrative impetus than the new "bad guy tricked us and stole some.... magic treasure?" tutorial to launch you into the MSQ (and probably a later payoff when you hit the continent that ties into your origin story). So this was to me a jarring regression from the alpha and problematic for a game that wants to (and could) pull in players outside the core MMO audience. Once you get around level 25 leveling is both blessedly brief and pretty fun, but those first few hours are a slog now starting without a preview of cool stuff to come . My big concern is that the tens of thousands of people whose only exposure to the game will be from watching a non-invested streamer being paid to try it for a few hours are going to see the absolute worst the game has to offer, which will be bad for every brokebrain MMO player who is ready to lick the paint off a new wall and would benefit from the game pulling in a broader audience.

Also 100% agree, watching Amazon try to deal with the racists who are upset non-white NPCs are being put into the game and the other people who are upset you might be able to create a female character with an outfit you'd see outside the bedroom is... not a good look.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

poemdexter posted:

I look forward to doing end game stuff with goons on launch.

:same:

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

cyrn posted:

From an MMO vet's perspective, the leveling is great and lets you rush to endgame and get to the good stuff very quickly and painlessly. From an uninvested player's perspective the first few hours are completely unrepresentative of even the later leveling experience. The alpha class prequels they cut (the ones I played at least) addressed this problem elegantly in ways the new prologue does not. Those scenarios were original non-generic fantasy, had significantly higher production quality and were obviously made later in the dev cycle and designed to preview the cool poo poo they do with the engine later on to new players. And for the story people it gave a much stronger narrative impetus than the new "bad guy tricked us and stole some.... magic treasure?" tutorial to launch you into the MSQ (and probably a later payoff when you hit the continent that ties into your origin story). So this was to me a jarring regression from the alpha and problematic for a game that wants to (and could) pull in players outside the core MMO audience. Once you get around level 25 leveling is both blessedly brief and pretty fun, but those first few hours are a slog now starting without a preview of cool stuff to come . My big concern is that the tens of thousands of people whose only exposure to the game will be from watching a non-invested streamer being paid to try it for a few hours are going to see the absolute worst the game has to offer, which will be bad for every brokebrain MMO player who is ready to lick the paint off a new wall and would benefit from the game pulling in a broader audience.

Also 100% agree, watching Amazon try to deal with the racists who are upset non-white NPCs are being put into the game and the other people who are upset you might be able to create a female character with an outfit you'd see outside the bedroom is... not a good look.

They talked about how some people preferred the subclass campaigns being actual played out items, but the podcast crew was split about 50/50 since some of them were apparently a real slog as classes that didn't have good early abilities. I doubt there's an answer that satisfies even close to most people here, outside of creating pretty elaborate choices and putting a ton of work into that intro experience. I also don't know what the code variance tolerance is for deviating from the Korean mothership. One thing Rox did make clear was that they aren't looking to delay again, so it seems it's gonna be this with some fixes (and apparently they're adding sorceress in, but that's not confirmed fully yet). The pvp centric guy on the pod also said gunner was something like 5 patches behind RU and that itself was 3 or 4 patches behind KR. Rox wasn't sure where we were launching balance wise. That's why I mentioned that I don't know if this is the right hill to die on for Lost Ark, it seems like it's always a risk when you import an MMO -- you can play with values and easily tweaked things (cash shop, xp rates, etc) but deviating greatly from the source is loving yourself over. Counter counter point, if anyone has the money to throw at it, surely AGS does.

I think the "are levels actually needed" debate is probably the next step in discourse, but I fall pretty hard on the side of "there has to be a hamster wheel." Number go up is a very important flavor for a lot of folks, especially in this genre/cross genre. Even in MMOs that didn't use levels like UO, it's not like trapping a bear behind some boxes in your house and running tame macro on it was fulfilling gameplay. I definitely think things can get better, in that regard, but I don't have the answer. WoW's insistence on "engagement metrics" over fun has made the bare metal of the hamster wheel so visible I can't stand it, where something like GW2 where you don't really have progression just feels meaningless.

I'm excited to see where Riot lands on this spectrum when their MMO launches in a few years. I suspect it'll use levels but they'll likely make the early game engaging.

On a side note, I literally thought you were dead!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
I thought the whole starting at level 10 was to speed up the leveling process so you could get to the end game quicker during the beta. My interest in the leveling mechanics, end game and just wanting to try out more classes led me to the Russian client.

The Russian client starts you at level 10 also.... :psyduck:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mjolnerd posted:

I thought the whole starting at level 10 was to speed up the leveling process so you could get to the end game quicker during the beta. My interest in the leveling mechanics, end game and just wanting to try out more classes led me to the Russian client.

No. It's one of the changes to speed up leveling that's on all of the platforms and isn't unique to NA.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Zotix posted:

12 hours is half a day, but nice that we are resorting to ad hominem attacks.

For a lot of people it’s at least a week’s worth of playtime is the point I think you’re intentionally ignoring to stan extra hard for a boring mindless introduction to the game based on the opinions you’re responding to. Idk how “hey, this could be better” is a controversial take.

A few people have mentioned leaning harder into the ARPG aspect of it would make it a more fun intro, and I agree. Focus on the things that make the game cool by having fewer dumb quests that have you kill 3 mobs made of paper. It doesn’t have to be an arpg with no quests but it certainly could bridge the gap a bit better to show off its great combat system.

Also loling at the “do some research” comment, thanks for that one.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

You always got let out into the world at level 10. Prior to the Astalgia update (now live in RU and the basis for the beta client) you "leveled up" to 10 in the prologue and then got dropped into the main game and now you first get leveled to 10 and then sent to the prologue. I agree that the mechanics and leveling around the prologue are a bit awkward but the end result is the same between both iterations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zotix posted:

That's on you.

In case you didn't realize it, you're still being a pissbaby lmao

The first thirty levels aren't suddenly better because Zotix decided to defend them. Saying "leveling in everything is poo poo!!!" misses the point so hard I'm still assuming you're doing a bit.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tunzie posted:

At the risk of being that idiot that played it wrong - I tried this out last week, having only just heard of it from a mention in another thread here, and put in maybe 15-ish hours getting to the low 20's playing with a friend, doing side quests, not skipping cutscenes, and we had a lot of fun with it, and are now looking forward to playing it when it releases. The story isn't high art or anything, but it was entertaining, and when I was making jokes at its expense it felt more like I was joking with it than tearing it to pieces. Quests might not be anything amazing, but they're over in 30 seconds and you're on to the next thing before I had time to hate any of them.

We got as far as a dungeon before the beta ended - I don't remember the name, it was an underground city ruin with a final boss fight that involved reflecting a light beam at it - and that seemed pretty awesome as well, and a step up in spectacle from those before, so I was left feeling pretty excited about what's to come.

I got further than that but pretty much my takeaway, that one dungeon convinced me I wanted to play more and, yeah, from there on theres a big quality improvement in the set pieces and dungeons in particular

tbh the biggest beef I have with the game is literally every playable female character is always wearing 6" heels and lovely pandering outfits for the single handed brigade

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2021

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

In case you didn't realize it, you're still being a pissbaby lmao

The first thirty levels aren't suddenly better because Zotix decided to defend them. Saying "leveling in everything is poo poo!!!" misses the point so hard I'm still assuming you're doing a bit.

Is there really a need for this? Multiple people have come in and said they've enjoyed the leveling including one person that spent a lot of time in the early leveling doing it with a friend. If anyone is doing a bit right now it's you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
hey uhhhh chill the heck out in here please, thank you