Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

astral posted:

For example, this may have already been resolved by now, but I believe at one point one of them determined the total number of pages by counting the number of elements in the popup. :psyduck:

Normally I'm really on the side of maintaining compatibility, keep things working for modders, have a dialogue between devs and third party guys working on stuff, but seriously? :psyduck: indeed

Also that also makes sense if there was a rush after things got settled to allow thousand page threads in the first place and this was a footnote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm honestly more shocked that there are apparently serious performance problems with a dropdown menu that is just a bloody list of a few hundred short strings. I might understand if every entry had a fat object attached to it, but it's just a plain string, it ain't exactly Excel.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just increase the page size to 1000 - problem solved.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hmm, a few months ago when the forums added dark mode I used these instructions to stop Firefox from flashing white every time it loaded up a thread. Since the most recent update that problem's back, though... anyone else? The css file that I added per those instructions still looks right and the setting in about :config is as I had it before (changed the color to #000000), but it just doesn't work anymore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

Hmm, a few months ago when the forums added dark mode I used these instructions to stop Firefox from flashing white every time it loaded up a thread. Since the most recent update that problem's back, though... anyone else? The css file that I added per those instructions still looks right and the setting in about :config is as I had it before (changed the color to #000000), but it just doesn't work anymore.

set ui.systemUsesDarkTheme to 1 if you haven't

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

astral posted:

In about :config, right? That doesn't show up on its own... I can add it manually and set it to 1 but it doesn't help sadly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

In about :config, right? That doesn't show up on its own... I can add it manually and set it to 1 but it doesn't help sadly.

Yep. Did you relaunch the browser afterwards?

e: And you added it as a number and not a string, right?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yes, both. Weird. And all the websites that were broken (read: their background turned black) by the fix in that link have been unbroken, too, so it's not just the forums specifically.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

Yes, both. Weird. And all the websites that were broken (read: their background turned black) by the fix in that link have been unbroken, too, so it's not just the forums specifically.

That is strange; something must have been broken or removed. You could try the slightly different, more recently posted userchrome/usercontent CSS posted in https://quasiengineer.dev/tech/guides/fix-white-flash-in-dark-mode-in-firefox/ but I've not tested it myself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

astral posted:

It's so bizarre that it's a boolean choice, but it uses an integer as its datatype.
justmozillathings.txt

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

astral posted:

That is strange; something must have been broken or removed. You could try the slightly different, more recently posted userchrome/usercontent CSS posted in https://quasiengineer.dev/tech/guides/fix-white-flash-in-dark-mode-in-firefox/ but I've not tested it myself.

Still no... maybe I'll try a profile refresh, or else sit tight and hope the next update fixes it. Appreciate the help though!

edit: My eyes are saved and all un-borked websites have been re-borked! Solved by unchecking "Use system colors" here:

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 5, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's so bizarre that it's a boolean choice, but it uses an integer as its datatype.
justmozillathings.txt

In a lot of database systems true is negative one. Computers, man.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In a lot of database systems true is negative one. Computers, man.

I mean thanks to two's complement, -1 is much more one-y than 1.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nth Doctor posted:

I mean thanks to two's complement, -1 is much more one-y than 1.

Yeah, it makes sense, it's just kinda funny how often software casually exposes that implementation detail.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So Firefox is now available via the Microsoft Store.

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/web-browsers/mozilla-firefox/259087/mozilla-firefox-is-now-available-in-the-microsoft-store

What advantages, if any, would there be to using this over the regular installer?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So Firefox is now available via the Microsoft Store.

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/web-browsers/mozilla-firefox/259087/mozilla-firefox-is-now-available-in-the-microsoft-store

What advantages, if any, would there be to using this over the regular installer?

I don't see this info in the articles anywhere, but does the MS store version get updated via the store rather than its normal self-updater? That might be an advantage to someone in some particular circumstance. (Or a disadvantage, if your MS store is as unreliable about updates as mine is.)

OTOH I also see a list of things that are worse about the MS store version, including a harder-to-find profile location and the fact that they stripped out the one-click set as default web browser for W11.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Microsoft's messing around with not letting people get away from Edge again, so that's not surprising.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/11/latest_windows_11_build_enforces_edge_links/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's probably worth being precise here: they try really hard to make links opened from most new Microsoft apps open in Edge. This includes Start menu searches, help links, News and Interests, Mail, that phone link thing, the widgets, and probably a bunch more - but not things opened from any third party software (or Office).

Of course, that's still quite bad.

The original article leans even harder into the "this has got to be some sort of antitrust violation" angle. (Daniel's an old Opera employee, so I suspect he's slightly bitter.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bitter or not he's right

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Microsoft should just force all browsers to use Edge under the hood, works for Apple.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thousands of Firefox users accidentally commit login cookies on GitHub

quote:

There's a theoretical complication. Firefox offers an option to protect logins and passwords. But as far as we can tell, that doesn't apply to the cookies.sqlite file. The Register was able to examine multiple Firefox cookie databases with Marlin's guidance.

When the visibility of cookies came up five years ago as a Firefox macOS bug submission, it was closed.

Oopsie!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Can I get a bug bounty from MS if I use notepad to save passwords.txt to a public github?

Chrome protects cookies by encrypting them with OS-provided functions -- on windows, this is a simple encryption where they key is on your user account. It's good protection against this type of user stupidity, but not inviolable.

But cookies and other profile data being portable is also a feature. With firefox you can do things like have a single profile that you use on a windows/linux dual boot, or other useful things. And moving your profile to a new machine / restoring after HD death is simple.

I dunno, every other week there's a security story about some security-compromising poo poo that's searchable on github. I think one answer is some people have decided github is a good place to use for free cloud backups, and they don't understand that it's public.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol now if you want something to drag mozilla over, this is the good poo poo: End of support for Firefox Lockwise

Lockwise is being killed as an independent password manager app, just 3-4 years after they announced it with much hoopla. It was never anything but a new skin on the same terrible firefox saved passwords, and they utterly failed to do anything to improve it. Compared to standard password managers, it was completely poo poo at the basic task of managing passwords.

Firefox saved passwords still suck, none of that big initiative from 2018-19 (launching new apps like lockwise, firefox focus, etc, with all-new branding) panned out or had any follow-through.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
why are people committing their firefox profile dirs to github
edit: oh it's linux users committing their home directory. lol

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

why are people committing their firefox profile dirs to github
edit: oh it's linux users committing their home directory. lol

Right, it isn't particularly novel or specific to Firefox or anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's still exceptionally dumb, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Right, nobody should commit their home directory to a public repository.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

astral posted:

Right, nobody should commit their home directory to a public repository.

Yeah, this seems more like a user problem than a firefox one (even if ff does things in a stupid way too).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm trying out Firefox again and I'm wondering if there's a way to disable form history without also disabling search history?

They're tied together in settings.

and I absolutely hate form history but find search history pretty essential.

Feels dumb to say but this is pretty make or break for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

101 posted:

I'm trying out Firefox again and I'm wondering if there's a way to disable form history without also disabling search history?

Doesn't look like it, those tie to the same about :config pref. There's a setting called browser.formfill.expire_days that you could could use to make saved forms go away faster, but I'd have to assume it makes search history similarly short-term.

If you give in to using the main urlbar for everything including search, it means you get search history the other way around by url history.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

lol now if you want something to drag mozilla over, this is the good poo poo: End of support for Firefox Lockwise

Fool me once, but this part is potentially interesting:

"Check back for updates in December 2021 on how to use Firefox for iOS as your system-wide password manager. "

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

101 posted:

How would Firefox know whether a text box in a form is a search box rather than anything else?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

lol now if you want something to drag mozilla over, this is the good poo poo:

Are you surprised by this? Firefox + Some service = Do not invest! It will be killed off faster then Google kills off their services, which is one of the more impressive things Mozilla does.

But ya know, you gotta take the good with the bad sometimes. So I'm okay with this.

whip the llamas rear end?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Im_Special posted:

But ya know, you gotta take the good with the bad sometimes. So I'm okay with this.

whip the llamas rear end?

Cool, hopefully they release something that looks like a modern app, and an Android version too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

...looks like a modern app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hargrimm posted:

How would Firefox know whether a text box in a form is a search box rather than anything else?

I'm talking about searching using the url bar vs any field on a website.

I want search history in the url bar. I don't want those annoying dropdowns when you click on a field on a website

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hargrimm posted:

You can explicitly mark a text box as a search box in html nowadays. I don't know if this affects how firefox tracks history, but it is not impossible:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/search

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks like Firefox 96 beta is going to break a bunch of the userchrome.css fixes people have been making for Proton. Luckily, a lot of the fixes can be re-enabled by removing the @media (-moz-proton) { } blocks that a lot of the workarounds had been using.

If you also wanted square tabs, --user-tab-rounding no longer works. Just use --tab-border-radius now.

For reference, this is my userchrome.css:

code:
/* Adjust tab corner shape and remove space below tabs */
#tabbrowser-tabs {
    --tab-border-radius: 0px;
}
.tab-background {
    border-radius: var(--user-tab-rounding) var(--user-tab-rounding) 0px 0px !important;
    margin-block: 1px 0 !important;
}
.tab-background[selected=true] {
    border-bottom: none !important;
}

/* Inactive tabs: Separator line style */
.tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]):not([beforeselected-visible="true"]) {
    border-right: 1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, .20) !important;
}
/* For dark backgrounds */
[brighttext="true"] .tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]):not([beforeselected-visible="true"]) {
    border-right: 1px solid var(--lwt-selected-tab-background-color, rgba(255, 255, 255, .20)) !important;
}
.tab-background:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]) {
    border-radius: 0 !important;
}
/* Remove padding between tabs */
.tabbrowser-tab {
    padding-left: 0 !important;
    padding-right: 0 !important;
}

/* Fixes the highlight on the new tab button. */
#tabs-newtab-button {
    --toolbarbutton-hover-background: color-mix(in srgb, currentColor 22%, transparent);
}

/* Enlarge the tabs very slightly. */
:root[uidensity="compact"] {
    --tab-min-height: 30px !important;
}

/* Fix tab height when the tab scroll buttons appear. */
#scrollbutton-up, #scrollbutton-down {
    padding: 0px var(--toolbarbutton-inner-padding) calc(var(--toolbarbutton-inner-padding) - 6px) !important;
}

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Im_Special posted:

Are you surprised by this? Firefox + Some service = Do not invest! It will be killed off faster then Google kills off their services, which is one of the more impressive things Mozilla does.
In this case functionality is being put into main firefox app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why are a bunch of sites suddenly defaulting to dark mode, I didn't ask for this