Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JayKay posted:

You know what, I think you're right. I've noticed flights where I start on the runway, during the taxi/loading part you hear the AI Pilot talking to ATC and those were counted.

Flights where I start cold/dark on the ramp it doesn't count as I don't use the ingame ATC at all besides maybe getting the ATIS.

Yep, basically when I do a cold and dark at the gate I go through the takeoff request at ATC and then once I'm in the air cancel IFR and just fly until I am close enough to the destination airport to request a landing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Shipon posted:

I think I figured out a pattern as to it recording takeoffs/landings. You have to interact with the ATC for it to count. Given how awful the ATC is at actually working, that's not always a given.

I'm not sure. When I'm flying the CJ4 I never interact with ATC at all and it always records my landings and maybe 20% of my takeoffs. I did my type qualification in Neofly last week in it and it showed 0 takeoffs and 2 landings: the touch-and-go and full stop. Didn't touch ATC once.

E: Just did a test flight where I didn't request takeoff but did request landing and the log only counted the takeoff. Also the ATIS at the arrival airport was completely wrong, gave the wrong active runway and had the wrong wind info.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 7, 2021

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I despise the log with the passions of a thousand suns! Not because I'm anti-log but because the drat thing pops up and takes away all input after every flight and it sucks. No way to shut down the airplane properly without that thing popping up. And I enjoy doing a proper shutdown :(

With update 6 they made it even more obtrusive in VR because it will throw you into the loading screen environment with a flat projection of the cockpit, which is horribly jarring and makes it stutter like crazy while it populates the log. I know I can hit "continue" but by then I don't care anymore.

It's become my single greatest annoyance with the sim, especially now that they've inexplicably made it even more obtrusive (in VR at least). This is not the sort of game where anything should take control away completely without it atleast being an option, in my opinion. Feel free to log the flight but you can just show it on the ESC menu screen when I quit the flight, or in the actual main menu where there's already a specific button to display the log.

Does the log go away completely in dev mode? Or is it just that it doesn't register your flight, but still pops up? Because I would literally pay money at this point for that drat screen to go away

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think they're looking at fixing that issue for SU7, though I don't know what that fix entails.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Haven't played in a while but I have this bug with the g1000 at least where the gps on the cdi is stuck pointing north no matter what I do with setting the flight plan on the world map or in the plane. Any one heard of this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
SU7 is bringing supersonic physics, which I assume are integrated into the general model. Can't wait to see what funny regressions that'll create.

They shouldn't even have announced the F/A-18 and said physics, because Indiafoxtecho has the F-35 done and is delaying it because of SU7 and eventually surprises. :mad:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The F-35 done and is delaying it

Incredible realism.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bug report: F35 turns off crossing international date line.

I know these are low hanging fruit but the idea still makes me smile.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Just got Il-2 on sale. Any recommendations for tutorial reads & videos for getting started?

vvv thanks just what i was looking for

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 9, 2021

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

guidoanselmi posted:

Just got Il-2 on sale. Any recommendations for tutorial reads & videos for getting started?

https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725484620727976227/725486766286700584/The_Basics_with_Bonkers.pdf

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 8, 2021

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

I'm not sure. When I'm flying the CJ4 I never interact with ATC at all and it always records my landings and maybe 20% of my takeoffs. I did my type qualification in Neofly last week in it and it showed 0 takeoffs and 2 landings: the touch-and-go and full stop. Didn't touch ATC once.

E: Just did a test flight where I didn't request takeoff but did request landing and the log only counted the takeoff. Also the ATIS at the arrival airport was completely wrong, gave the wrong active runway and had the wrong wind info.

I too sometimes get no landings, or no takeoffs, or no anything, even though I've clearly both taken off and landed, sometimes more than once!

I always suspected it had to do with if you 'park' off the taxi-way to count as a landing or not? Since I sometimes just slam on the parking break in the middle of the runway when doing a quick Neofly

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I need to stop buying dumb peripherals but preorders went live yesterday for the Thrustmaster TCA Yoke and...

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tca-yoke-pack-boeing-edition

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

$500 for the set seems steep considering that's the price of the honeycomb alpha and bravo together. Having an actual control column neat differentiator, but feature-wise it seems lackluster compared to Honeycomb products. Not as many switches and knobs and other such stuff. And only three axes on the quadrant? Really? Though I do like how they've taken a cue from Honeycomb and slapped an autopilot control system on there.

I guess I'd care more about this if I flew more planes with column-style yokes, but somehow almost nothing I like to fly has such a control system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 10, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I definitely appreciate that more vendors are incorporating spots for phones/tablets in their setups now that companion apps are such a common thing.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just received my new VKB stuff and initial impressions are great. It's all modular so you can pick and choose what to get and how to put it together.

I went with a throttle quadrant and two button boxes and so far it seems like an awesome addition to my setup. It's got enough buttons and knobs that I no longer need to remember any of the weird DCS keybinds like shift+home, alt+', etc, plus now I've finally got a way to quickly adjust mixture/radiator in a warbird or Cessna.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not gonna lie, that looks sick. But I already have enough stuff...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Said no one ever

Biberkopf
Aug 15, 2013

My son got a session in a big simulator for his birthday. I enjoyed my time a lot there, it was really fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just got a VR headset, and... it's a gamechanger, holy poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I just got a VR headset, and... it's a gamechanger, holy poo poo.

Yeeesssssssss

One of us. One of us. One of us.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

same.

I bought one of the crappy old oculus headsets a while back to see if my laptop could handle VR (it couldn't) and it sat in my cupboard since. I got a new pretty decent PC this week and did my first VR flight with it yesterday, despite the low resolution it was incredible. A decent current-gen VR hat is definitely next on my shopping list although it'll be a while off as I'm feeling a bit poor at the moment.

I don't know if it's a settings thing or if that's just how it is but the cockpits felt a bit small, like 90% scale. I flew the DR400 and CJ4 and they both felt off by about the same amount. It's amazing how much better you can sense the aircrafts movement though and landings are so much easier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The cockpits definitely feel cramped in VR. Since I'm a sim-only admirer of planes, I have no idea how the VR scale compares to real life, but I imagine most GA plane cockpits are much smaller than they typically appear on 2D screens. That said, I've seen a couple people mention before that the VR cockpit scale might be off.

Also be aware that driving high-resolution headsets is no easy task in demanding games like MSFS. I can't even hit 45fps with a 3080 Ti and Reverb G2.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 13, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the game also has issues with VR in particular wrt encoding being bound to the same thread as the engine renderer. Hoping for a patch every day

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, light GA is pretty tight. I can’t generally comfortably sit next to someone in a 172 if their seat is in the same place longitudinally; our shoulders won’t fit.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm 6' and the 152 cockpit is tiny irl

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

It might be a lensing effect in VR that makes it feel smaller since if I push my face up in the dials they feel properly sized but the regular head position makes everything feel small like a wide-angle effect. I've flown a Robin HR200 IRL and the DR400 in the sim has an identical cockpit, it feels a lot smaller in the sim but yeah they don't have a lot of room IRL.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve flown everything from 172s to wide bodies IRL, everything feels about right in VR.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The fun one for me was a Bf 109 in IL-2: Sturmovik. I've seen more spacious literal coffins.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

VR is neat but the only sim that runs with acceptable frametimes at all times on my 5900x/3080 is IL-2. I think after another two years of patches and new hardware it will finally be ideal.

The most fun cockpit I’ve experienced in VR is the F-16 in DCS. You really feel like you have the jet strapped on to you, it’s a small cockpit but you sit high and have amazing visibility with the bubble canopy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I find that the GA planes have about the right scale in VR. Most people are surprised by how small a Cessna 172 is, let alone a 152, the first time they climb into one in real life, too. I think maybe people are mentally expecting it to be about as big as the inside of their car? But by the spec sheet, a 172 has less cabin volume than a Geo Metro.

The fighter jets in DCS were the real surprising thing though yeah. A MiG-21 cockpit is tiny. I totally understand why fighter pilots are all little guys now -- anyone even a little taller than average will hit their head on the canopy or get their legs torn off in an ejection.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 13, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So where's the plane for us non-midgets, eh? Where's my flying equivalent of a luxury SUV?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mailer posted:

So where's the plane for us non-midgets, eh? Where's my flying equivalent of a luxury SUV?

Just buy an Airbus? Or are you some sort of poor?!?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A Diamond Da-40 is more of a compact car. Two normal sized adults will not touch shoulders in the front or back. The seats are very car-like, as is the car type seatbelt.

Not roomy by any standards but roomier than any other GA plane I’ve flow.

Having been in an F-16, the ICP is basically in front of your face. It is tiny as hell to be in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

A Diamond Da-40 is more of a compact car. Two normal sized adults will not touch shoulders in the front or back. The seats are very car-like, as is the car type seatbelt.

Not roomy by any standards but roomier than any other GA plane I’ve flow.

Ya, anything of even remotely modern design is automatically quite a bit roomier. One of the big design goals of the Cessna 177 (which was expected to replace the 172 in the late sixties, but didn’t,) was cabin width. (172=40in, PA-28=40in, 182=42in, 177=48in)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Ya, anything of even remotely modern design is automatically quite a bit roomier. One of the big design goals of the Cessna 177 (which was expected to replace the 172 in the late sixties, but didn’t,) was cabin width. (172=40in, PA-28=40in, 182=42in, 177=48in)

The 177 was the greatest plane that never really was. The best explanation I've ever seen is:

Joe Christy posted:

We liked that airplane, and found almost nothing to pick at. However, owners soon discovered to their horror that it didn't fly or land exactly like a strutless Skyhawk, and some heavy-handed Super-Car drivers managed to smash the Cardinal tail into the pavement on landing, knock-off a few nose-wheels, etc. (apparently, this was possible if one closed his eyes, used full back-pressure on the wheel at the flare and then sat rigidly waiting for the crashing noises to subside). Cessna accepted the blame gracefully. That was proper because, after all, they had lulled a generation of Cessna pilots into near-effortless flying with the extremely forgiving 172 series, and it probably wasn't ethical to suddenly offer, to many of those same customers, a Cessna that didn't handle exactly like a Cessna. The company therefore picked up the tab for a list of modifications that gentled the Cardinal and returned the smiles to the faces of dealers and customers

It's quite poo poo that it never worked out, because everything I've heard is that it's a far better plane than the 172.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

The 177 was the greatest plane that never really was. The best explanation I've ever seen is:

It's quite poo poo that it never worked out, because everything I've heard is that it's a far better plane than the 172.

:hmmyes:

It doesn’t hurt that it’s loving beautiful, as well.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

First time I climbed into a 172 I was also surprised at how tiny it is, and I'm not a shorter guy myself. The yoke felt like a toy, I was surprised you could actually control the plane with that. More modern sports planes are definitely roomier.

The bf109 was mentioned and how small it is. It's not only small to us modern oversized humans, even at the time it was considered small. Allegedly, allies pilots felt cramped inside there while Axis pilots who were used to it, liked it. Said it felt snug, everything on reach all the time, have a sense of safety, like it was made for your body.

My pet theory is that the small cockpit was a leftover from the plane originally being built for racing (me108). It was a very compact and sleek design anyhow, basically just a very powerful engine with the least possible amount of plane attached.

I've always wanted to take a ride on a Diamond, I love them in msfs.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Any goon that comes to Charleston will be provided a Diamond 20 or Diamond 40 ride, courtesy by me. Spare Bose A20 headset provided as complimentary service. The -20 is tight as all loving poo poo. We will be side-spooning.

Bonus is that we can take off between C-17s and Hornets.

Hasty edit: Offer void for goons over 235lbs or maybe a bit more if fuel is dumped

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 16, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Any goon that comes to Charleston will be provided a Diamond 20 or Diamond 40 ride, courtesy by me. Spare Bose A20 headset provided as complimentary service. The -20 is tight as all loving poo poo. We will be side-spooning.

Hasty edit: Offer void for goons over 235lbs or maybe a bit more if fuel is dumped

I'm there every other month my new friend.

I like getting the "good" taxi on my flights where I can review the fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I'll be your RIO