Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Silco's signature move at this point is setting up a dramatic scene behind a door, waiting for someone to walk in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
1. character experiences trauma
2. character has mental illness because of untreated trauma
3. character starts trying to murder people with giant machine gun while hallucinating.
4. Show implies mental illness == violently dangerous

That isn't a deeply complex read full of subtlety and nuance, that's textbook ableism. Are their literally ANY disabled characters who aren't villains, outside of Viktor, who is absolutely on track for a heel turn in act 3? Viktor, someone super obviously villain coded. The way that he's so often framed in shadow, the way that the music often plays dissonant, menacing notes when he's introduced to the frame. Absolutely villain coded.

The way the show portrays people addicted to mutation causing purple war drugs is pretty gross as well.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 16, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Rob Filter posted:

1. character experiences trauma
2. character has mental illness because of untreated trauma
3. character starts trying to murder people with giant machine gun while hallucinating.
4. Show implies mental illness == violently dangerous

That isn't a deeply complex read full of subtlety and nuance, that's textbook ableism. Are their literally ANY disabled characters who aren't villains, outside of Viktor, who is absolutely on track for a heel turn in act 3? Viktor, someone super obviously villain coded. The way that he's so often framed in shadow, the way that the music often plays dissonant, menacing notes when he's introduced to the frame. Absolutely villain coded.

The way the show portrays people addicted to mutation causing purple war drugs is pretty gross as well.

jinx having ptsd isn't why she's violent, silco explicitly raised her to be violent and pushes her to be violent

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rob Filter posted:

This is a pretty weird take too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jayce's mom is missing fingers, which is probably about as severe as Silco's eye. Vander had a bad arm that needed a brace. As for Viktor, the way he's being written is clearly someone desperate not to DIE, whose illness and limp is caused by the literal toxic atmosphere he lived in as a child due to Piltover. Also the Enforcers are clearly a non-heroic force of brutes so far, even if individuals (Grayson/Caitlyn) are trying to be good.

Also what is likely one of the biggest villains in the show is perfectly able, whether it's Mel or Singed.

Also, also, Silco is intentionally getting those people addicted, and trained Jinx to be a violent person instead of getting her help.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
silco is a weirdo fuckin groomer slash crime syndicate boss and if you seriously think that the intent of this show is to equate disability with villainy you need to turn down the lamp brightness because you're projecting so hard they can see you in the next county over

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the mechanical arm lady was already a villain before she lost her arm.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Rio was dying and isn’t a villain :colbert:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
to be fair all of the human characters in league that explicitly have artificial limbs or bodies are fairly villainous people.. take your pick out of Jhin, Viktor, Urgot, Camille and Gangplank.

I guess Orianna is a fully artificial body and seems reasonably virtuous. And Rengar is missing an eye and he is a cool cat!

There are also of course incredibly evil characters with fully able bodies, such as Teemo, Yuumi and Seraphine.

**dunno if spoiling that means anything, but I guess for the sake of people coming in fresh to the show.

VVVV Fair point on Jhin, I was just scrolling through the champions page to refresh my memory and the portrait of Jhin they use makes it look like he has a robot arm https://www.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/champions/jhin/ and when I looked at his character page it said something about a "gun hand" that I misinterpreted. all his other skins make it obvious he has both arms.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 16, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Viktor in League is not really a villain (anymore, and Arcane is his new backstory), Jhin is crazy but is not actually missing a limb (he’s wearing protective gear because of his weapon), Urgot was a cruel and violent executioner before he got shipped to Zaun and chopped up to become a mining robot, Gangplank was an rear end in a top hat before he lost his arm. Camille I got nothing, she actively replaced limbs and her heart to make herself a better enforcer of the classism of Piltover/Zaun.

Orianna is definitely a counterpart here. As she would be dead if not for the body replacements and was dying because she tried to save Zaunites from toxic gas. Lee Sin is blind and an explicit heroic individual.

**Also spoilered ^

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 16, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's uh, probably the most nightmarish human villain in League by my last review of all the playable champions.

I mean, there IS a Fear Elemental or whatever Fiddlesticks is, and also the literal Creature Made of Nightmares, Nocturne. But yeah, Singed is probably the most like, humanly evil, the other two are just spooky monsters pretty much.

Starsfan posted:

to be fair all of the human characters in league that explicitly have artificial limbs or bodies are fairly villainous people.. take your pick out of Jhin, Viktor, Urgot, Camille and Gangplank.

I guess Orianna is a fully artificial body and seems reasonably virtuous. And Rengar is missing an eye and he is a cool cat!

There are also of course incredibly evil characters with fully able bodies, such as Teemo, Yuumi and Seraphine.

**dunno if spoiling that means anything, but I guess for the sake of people coming in fresh to the show.

Lee Sin is blind and afaik is not evil

Camille also? I think? She has artificial most-of-her-body and I think she's like a neutral-ish spy/assassin EDIT: oh lol ok nevermind, classist

OH, also Yorick has a limp but he's not evil, he's trying to un-curse the shadow isles nevermind they removed his hunched back and limp in his big visual/mechanics overhaul

Xad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 16, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah Camille’s deal is she enforces the status quo of Piltover and Zaun, anyone who tries to rock the boat and destroy the literal capitalist metaphor is someone she might target to keep the cities “proper”.

The example given is she slaughters a Zaunite Chen-Baron for trying to marry a Piltover Noble Daughter (and it’s actual love, he’s not manipulating her at all). Then ensuring the noble is isolated and has someone else perform all business transactions on her behalf.

Yorick still has a hunch, it’s just not as severe as it used to be. But his head and neck are pushed pretty forward in his neutral stance so he has to have some sort of natural hunch that he can stretch out.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 16, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vermain posted:

I'm glad they're gonna address that in part 3, since I've been curious about where we're supposed to be in the timeline. Singed's lore as-is had him making chemical weapons for Noxus during the Ionian Invasion, the proceeds from which allowed him to be self-funded, so my assumption has been that this has all been during Darkwill's time and Swain is still just a regular ol' general.

I don't think current lore should be considered much of a guide. Arcane diverges pretty heavily from the backstories already written for Vi and Caitlyn, and presumably will continue to do so for other characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Riot is in the process of doing some lore revamps once again in preparation for the MMO and Arcane is the first wave of that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lee Sin being blind is in itself pretty problematic, in the traditional sense of "blind person gets superpowers through Asian mysticism".

(Note I don't really think that - this show is clearly playing with all these sorts of lazy tropes and trying to add nuance to them, which is fine and good, but it doesn't really erase the tropes being there, so I can see why it would rub some people the wrong way)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hakkesshu posted:

Lee Sin being blind is in itself pretty problematic, in the traditional sense of "blind person gets superpowers through Asian mysticism".

(Note I don't really think that - this show is clearly playing with all these sorts of lazy tropes and trying to add nuance to them, which is fine and good, but it doesn't really erase the tropes being there, so I can see why it would rub some people the wrong way)

Lee Sin is in fact Ionian now, and was born with the talent/access to the spirit of the Dragon but was too proud and aggressive to safely use it according to his masters. He paralysed his trainer the first time he used the techniques he's found by sneaking into forbidden archives. He then went on a spiritual journey away from Ionian (League Asia mashup, actually possibly a bit problematic) and made it to the Freljord where he trained with Udyr (who also struggles with controlling the animal spirits he can connect with).

They return to Ionia and Lee successfully channels the dragon spirit to defend his monastery from invasion, but in doing so the burning wrath of the dragon he unleashes sears his skin and blinds him. In effect the super powers blinded him as the price for using them, which is a different trope entirely.

1stGear posted:

I don't think current lore should be considered much of a guide. Arcane diverges pretty heavily from the backstories already written for Vi and Caitlyn, and presumably will continue to do so for other characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Riot is in the process of doing some lore revamps once again in preparation for the MMO and Arcane is the first wave of that.

Also they straight up have changed the lore for all of Piltover and Zaun in Arcane, by changing the discovery of Hextech to be something Jayce and Viktor did, instead of already existing for 50 years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Starsfan posted:

Oh, sure, Veigar ACTS like he's the evil Yordle but it is in fact Teemo, which anybody who has to go against a Puffcap deck will attest. And isn't there a thing about Seraphine that her floating performance rig is powered by the souls of an enslaved race or something?

Xad posted:

Lee Sin is blind and afaik is not evil

Well SOMEbody's never played against him in Runeterra. He is definitely evil.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dawgstar posted:

And isn't there a thing about Seraphine that her floating performance rig is powered by the souls of an enslaved race or something?

Yeah it’s powered by crystals from Skarner’s race.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, sure, Veigar ACTS like he's the evil Yordle but it is in fact Teemo, which anybody who has to go against a Puffcap deck will attest. And isn't there a thing about Seraphine that her floating performance rig is powered by the souls of an enslaved race or something?

In League Lore all Hextech is powered by the crystallised souls of a sentient species of crystal scorpion (unless they're using a new synthetic crystal made by Camille's family when they ran out of scorpion corpses to mine). I suspect this is not true anymore because that would make Jayce discovering Hextech in Arcane supremely hosed up.

Seraphine's issue was that in her original lore she was able to explicitly hear the songs of souls, and as such could hear all hextech sing. She no longer can hear Hextech sing as clearly, and assumes she's just listening to magic happen in general. Also again they're probably removing this lore because Arcane so far has nothing even hinting at it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wait, didn't Seraphine just debut recently? They've already changed her lore?

They must've really not been fans of the kpop war criminal jokes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Bee posted:

Wait, didn't Seraphine just debut recently? They've already changed her lore?

They must've really not been fans of the kpop war criminal jokes.

They changed the lore within a month because everyone had the knives out for her from the beginning. Also she was over a year ago now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

njsykora posted:

They changed the lore within a month because everyone had the knives out for her from the beginning. Also she was over a year ago now.

Well, poo poo, you're right. Jesus, time flies lately.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

They changed the lore within literal days, as soon as it came out people were making war criminal jokes and it changed that week as far as I remember.

The original version was she could understand the soul of the Crystal Scorpion and it taught her music and she wanted to share that music with the world. Note, Skarner's lore is that he can hear these crystals from across the continent singing for him to come save them. She, knowing that Hextech crystals are living souls, then puts hers in her stage/hoverboard and also doesn't tell anyone at all about these souls in crystals and instead uses it to became "Runeterra's first Pop Idol" (in of itself a really stupid idea, and basically proof they designed Seraphine for the K/DA skinline first).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honestly, I liked her original lore better. A pop star who becomes acutely aware of the fact that her fame and fortune (and the fame and fortune of the society she lives in, by proxy) is built on the back of immense suffering and death, and how she chooses to deal with that knowledge, is a far more interesting story hook compared to what they have now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vermain posted:

Honestly, I liked her original lore better. A pop star who becomes acutely aware of the fact that her fame and fortune (and the fame and fortune of the society she lives in, by proxy) is built on the back of immense suffering and death, and how she chooses to deal with that knowledge, is a far more interesting story hook compared to what they have now.

They never would've explored what you're saying with her original lore, because part of the issue was it was incredibly tone deaf and was making her out as being a good and loving person completely unbothered by the situation with the crystals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the other hand, MORE has a good beat and you can dance to it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I would be totally fine with 'protest singer trying to draw attention to widespread exploitation' or 'privileged wealthy singer exploits underclass in order to power her rise to stardom', but Seraphine isn't trying to be either of those, so it's not great.

Also not related to Arcane, except that Caitlyn likes her music. I assume Vi needles her about this constantly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hellioning posted:

I would be totally fine with 'protest singer trying to draw attention to widespread exploitation' or 'privileged wealthy singer exploits underclass in order to power her rise to stardom', but Seraphine isn't trying to be either of those, so it's not great.

Also not related to Arcane, except that Caitlyn likes her music. I assume Vi needles her about this constantly.

Everyone likes Seraphine’s music, because she can read your soul song and play it back to you mixed into her music. No this isn’t manipulative at all she’s pure and good and loves the world so much please why are you laughing at us accidentally making a super scathing take down of pop industry whilst trying to make a sweet and cute inoffensive pop idol.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everyone likes Seraphine’s music, because she can read your soul song and play it back to you mixed into her music. No this isn’t manipulative at all she’s pure and good and loves the world so much please why are you laughing at us accidentally making a super scathing take down of pop industry whilst trying to make a sweet and cute inoffensive pop idol.

honestly it felt to me like a "design by committee" thing where some writers legitimately wanted to write her as a selfish person making post-hoc justifications for capitalizing on her privilege while other writers and probably the higher-ups too just wanted a cute pop star

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
tall sona will pay for her crimes

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
I'm calling it now before it's absolutely too late to call it: Mel is Leblanc.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think Mel is secretly any of the ingame white characters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I personally think she's definitely not and furthermore she's not even a member of the Black Rose, she's a spy for Swain. Hence all the ravens that showed up more and more over these 3 episodes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like openly painting Noxus would be dumb if she was a spy. Someone in her retinue however...

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
If anyone, Mel is Orianna but I think Sky is a more likely candidate to be Orianna. I could see a situation where either Mel or Sky are critically poised by Silco with Shimmer and start the journey to be augmented with Hextech. I think that’s a long game term plot though if it happens at all.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like openly painting Noxus would be dumb if she was a spy. Someone in her retinue however...

It's a character show, every needs hobbies especially if they help hook your audience on couple of things.

and I don't know Leblanc is a master of illusions so i think she could get away with it though the general audience might uproar

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

The increasing Ravens and the constant mention of Noxus and her clearly being manipulative and "seducing" Jayce away from the purity of science with Viktor makes me think she's definitely intended to be a bad guy, and painting the capitol of Noxus is uhhhhh questionable at best if she has no connection to it.

Lawlicaust posted:

If anyone, Mel is Orianna but I think Sky is a more likely candidate to be Orianna. I could see a situation where either Mel or Sky are critically poised by Silco with Shimmer and start the journey to be augmented with Hextech. I think that’s a long game term plot though if it happens at all.

As for this one I'm almost certain zero champs with actual original names are going to be anyone new in Arcane. Powder becoming Jinx is one thing, Vander being reborn as Warwick is another, but Orianna has her original name in the lore and whilst they've chopped and changed stuff they've tended towards keeping the essence of the champions, and the essence of Orianna is that she goes down into Zaun because she has nothing else she can do to help out during a toxic gas spill that poisons her organs and leaves them slowly destroying themselves over time. Sky I think might actually be the new Piltover/Zaun ADC using her Firelight look, as she's probably one of the Firelights.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, I've seen a couple people bring this theory up, I guess there's some shapeshifting character in LoL (I didn't know who the specific character was) and I think that would be a pretty bad move. If she's working for that particular faction that's perfectly fine, I have to imagine they would see what a terrible idea it would be to have the major black woman character on the show be secretly white.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lord_Magmar posted:

The increasing Ravens and the constant mention of Noxus and her clearly being manipulative and "seducing" Jayce away from the purity of science with Viktor makes me think she's definitely intended to be a bad guy, and painting the capitol of Noxus is uhhhhh questionable at best if she has no connection to it.

As for this one I'm almost certain zero champs with actual original names are going to be anyone new in Arcane. Powder becoming Jinx is one thing, Vander being reborn as Warwick is another, but Orianna has her original name in the lore and whilst they've chopped and changed stuff they've tended towards keeping the essence of the champions, and the essence of Orianna is that she goes down into Zaun because she has nothing else she can do to help out during a toxic gas spill that poisons her organs and leaves them slowly destroying themselves over time. Sky I think might actually be the new Piltover/Zaun ADC using her Firelight look, as she's probably one of the Firelights.

I'm not saying she has no connection, my guess is that she was telling the truth about being an exile from her family, which was in Noxus but she brought a retinue and has a spy among them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMYpAuxqbk

Get Hype :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

So Mel is definitely Noxian.