Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Thr Book Barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Syncopated posted:

Thr Book Barn

:argh:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Der Buchen Scheune

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'd like to remind all that the 2021 Secret Santa is open for anyone interested in giving and getting cool books. I've streamlined things a bit for this year to make it as easy and welcoming as possible. Don't be shy!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1455706538916651008?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

im not cool also im a bad mod

Reported for posting about posters.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Reported for mod sass.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve never read Dune but I want to give it a shot before I watch the movie. Am I good just reading the first book? I’m hoping it’s more like Ender’s Game in that I can just read the first book, then continue until I’m tired of the series. I don’t always like committing to 5+ books just to finish a single story.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Dune is very good for that. Each of the books (the first 4 anyway) end at a spot that could be the end of the series, and there's no obligation to read any more. I read up through the 4th book (God emperor) and settled there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's never too soon to stop reading Dune sequels

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok great. Sometimes I want to keep going, I went straight into The Lost World after JP, but with Ender’s Game I felt better calling it after book one. I like the option to call it on that universe without a massive cliffhanger or committing a month.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I remember hearing that Ender’s Game started out as a prologue/background chapter of what was eventually Book 2 in the series, which was the book Card really wanted to write. Explains the shift in tone, for me.

I also remember in the mid-2000s he started coming out with some more books in the series that told the events of Ender’s Game from the perspective of other characters. I liked them more but it’s been a while since I read them and I’ve learned enough about the author now that I don’t really care to seek them out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

wizzardstaff posted:

I remember hearing that Ender’s Game started out as a prologue/background chapter of what was eventually Book 2 in the series, which was the book Card really wanted to write. Explains the shift in tone, for me.

I also remember in the mid-2000s he started coming out with some more books in the series that told the events of Ender’s Game from the perspective of other characters. I liked them more but it’s been a while since I read them and I’ve learned enough about the author now that I don’t really care to seek them out.

they rapidly spiral into fascist apologia as I recall

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Do note with Dune however that the sixth book (Chapterhouse) does end on a cliffhanger and Frank Herbert died before he could resolve it. His son and Kevin J. Anderson started writing Dune sequels and prequels and I've heard they're really bad and not worth reading.

Although some people say that about Frank's books after the first/third/fourth so take it as you will.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My local mom n pop has the mass paperback that isn’t a movie poster so I’m gonna go get it and start it tonight. Sucks I missed a lot of these books when I was younger but now I get to experience them for the first time so :shrug:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bilirubin posted:

they rapidly spiral into fascist apologia as I recall

Also really weird “must have children” fixations by all main characters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
:chloe:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know who Paul is but now I know he doesn’t die.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rolo posted:

I don’t know who Paul is but now I know he doesn’t die.

If you've seen a trailer for the move you know who Paul is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A boy sticks his hand in a box and it looks like it hurts. There is sand. Maybe big worms but I might be thinking of beetlejuice.

That’s what I know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

A boy sticks his hand in a box and it looks like it hurts. There is sand. Maybe big worms but I might be thinking of beetlejuice.

That’s what I know.

Just say "is that a gom jabbar in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?" and people will know you're hip to the new cool sci-fi scene.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just say "is that a gom jabbar in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?" and people will know you're hip to the new cool sci-fi scene.

Also don't do this

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The gom-jabbar is the needle, not the box, so you would be calling someone a needle dick

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Poison needle dick yes that is the joke

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The ten day difference in tone about the Canadian 2021 elections by the Project Gutenberg Canada person is truly majestic.

2021/09/14: ON SEPT 20, VOTE THE LIBERALS OUT OF OFFICE. THIS IS THE FIRST STEP IN CANCELLING THEIR COPYRIGHT EXTENSIONS, AND ENDING CANADA'S STATUS AS A U.S. PUPPET STATE !!

THESE DAYS, CANADA'S PUBLIC DOMAIN FEELS LIKE KABUL'S AIRPORT. WE'RE TRYING TO RESCUE THE FINAL AUTHORS AVAILABLE BEFORE THE TR*MP/TRUDEAU COPYRIGHT EXTENSIONS DESCEND ON US, AND JUSTIN TRUDEAU SLAMS THE DOOR SHUT FOR TWENTY YEARS!

THE ENGLISH NOVELIST E. M. FORSTER IS ONE OF THE FINAL REFUGEES WHO MADE IT TO THE AIRPORT. TODAY'S EBOOK WAS PUBLISHED IN 1908, AND HAS BEEN UNDER COPYRIGHT FOR AN INCREDIBLE ONE HUNDRED AND TWELVE YEARS.

OF COURSE, IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE. UNDER THE PREPOSTEROUS TR*MP/TRUDEAU NAFTA SCHEME, IT WOULD BE UNDER COPYRIGHT FOR ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-TWO YEARS -- UNTIL 2041 !

COPYRIGHTS SHOULD BE SHORTER, NOT LONGER. AND THEY SHOULD CERTAINLY NOT BE IMPOSED ON CANADIANS AGAINST OUR WILL, BY JUSTIN TRUDEAU AND THE WHITE HOUSE AUTOCRAT TR*MP.

10 days pass

2021/09/24: THE ELECTION'S OVER! IT (1) SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN HELD, (2) CHANGED NOTHING, AND (3) SHOWED US SOME UNFORTUNATE ASPECTS OF CANADIAN POLITICAL CULTURE.

IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE! LET'S HEAD BACK TWO CENTURIES, TO A NOVEL THAT HAS NEVER LOST ITS FRESHNESS AND NEVER WILL: JANE AUSTEN'S PRIDE AND PREJUDICE !!

On a more positive note, I sort of admire the PGC site maintainer for sticking with a year 1997 website design.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
My brother is into buying really old books that have occult themes, demonic themes, etc. For example he has a book completely written in French from the 1700's or 1800's and it has some cool illustrations of demons. He has some old books that supposedly have magic spells. He has Praxis Magica which apparently is some kind of demon summoning manual written in German. He has an Oahspe that's a bible rewritten by a dentist in the 1800's, apparently dictated in a trance through angels or something. And this copy also happens to have the scribblings and notes from the completely insane previous owner of the copy of the book.

He mentioned he would like to get a old version of Aleistar Crowley's book of the law or 777, and also something from Kenneth Grant who was some other thelemic magician, and Jake Stratton-Kent who apparently is some other magician. I'll definitely grab him these, but was wondering if anyone had any good sources to look for any other old, unique books that have an occult theme with magic, demonology, or other something else along these lines. He's not someone who actually "practices" magic, collects crystals or reagents or some other poo poo. It's just for collecting them and displaying them. Also he already has more well known stuff like the Voynich manuscript and stuff like that.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

nosleep posted:

occult themes, demonic themes [...] a book completely written in French

:D

(sorry, can't help with your actual question!)

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Lex Neville posted:

:D

(sorry, can't help with your actual question!)

Hah. I guess I was just trying to point out that it doesn't even matter if he can read the book, as long as it's old and cool.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

nosleep posted:

My brother is into buying really old books that have occult themes, demonic themes, etc. For example he has a book completely written in French from the 1700's or 1800's and it has some cool illustrations of demons. He has some old books that supposedly have magic spells. He has Praxis Magica which apparently is some kind of demon summoning manual written in German. He has an Oahspe that's a bible rewritten by a dentist in the 1800's, apparently dictated in a trance through angels or something. And this copy also happens to have the scribblings and notes from the completely insane previous owner of the copy of the book.

He mentioned he would like to get a old version of Aleistar Crowley's book of the law or 777, and also something from Kenneth Grant who was some other thelemic magician, and Jake Stratton-Kent who apparently is some other magician. I'll definitely grab him these, but was wondering if anyone had any good sources to look for any other old, unique books that have an occult theme with magic, demonology, or other something else along these lines. He's not someone who actually "practices" magic, collects crystals or reagents or some other poo poo. It's just for collecting them and displaying them. Also he already has more well known stuff like the Voynich manuscript and stuff like that.

The answer to my upcoming question probably is a Yes, but has your brother checked out any of Montague Summers work like The History Of Witchcraft And Demonology or his Compendium Maleficarum?

If your brother hasn't (and those people interested in similar themes), those Montague Summers books are definitely filled with occult themes, weird myths, etc; are old enough to be completely copyright expired(internet archive hint-hint), and finally are interesting enough to have been republished a few times over the past 4o yrs.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

nosleep posted:

more angelic than demonic but i imagine you could pick up a nice old copy of stuff by john dee like the monas hieroglyphica. agrippa's 3 books of occult philosophy might also be one it's not too difficult to get a nice oldish copy of. this guy on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/ESOTERICAchannel does academic study of occult manuscripts, and it might be worth just looking at any videos that seem like something your brother would be into and then trying to find a copy of the book he's talking about? also i just looked and he has a video from 2 weeks ago about collecting occult books so thatd probably be helpful idk i havent watched it

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just played a Call of Cthulhu scenario that was based around someone loving up the rituals from this book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Abramelin

He might have a copy already, though.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions so far, these are all pretty cool options. I see there are some vintage copies of the Book of Abramelin and a couple of the others that I might be able to swing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Secret Santa has a week left to sign up. Really excited for this one.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
would anyone be interested in a let's read of the destroyermen series?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

would anyone be interested in a let's read of the destroyermen series?

:justpost:

I don't comment much but I'll read most any such thread that gets posted.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Anyone interested in reading me blog out the highlights and lowlights and extreme libertarianism and insanity of the Cypherpunks mailing list readthrough I just started? It's already at a 9/10 libertarian scale and I'm barely into late october 1992 in it(the Cypherpunks mailing list officially got created september 21 1992) .

Was going to ask this question on the book barn discord server, but apparently I got kicked from it sometime in the past week for going "WTF" when hitting page 120 of the current PYF SA sagas thread and/or not knowing who the hell Prester Jane is (SAclopedia shows nothing).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

start a new thread for it would be my vote

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

buffalo all day posted:

start a new thread for it would be my vote

That makes sense.
Seeing Jim Bell, author of Assassination Politics going full mask off sovereign citizen slash domestic terrorist is what I'm waiting for. Just marvel at the insanity contained inside this highly sanitized synopsis of Jim Bell's life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quantumfoam posted:

Was going to ask this question on the book barn discord server, but apparently I got kicked from it sometime in the past week for going "WTF" when hitting page 120 of the current PYF SA sagas thread and/or not knowing who the hell Prester Jane is (SAclopedia shows nothing).
I wanted to send you a message, but you have PMs disabled.