Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
On the bright side I like some of the social aspects shown off. They chat and recruit Yue Jin in town (I guess it could just be a cutscene). There's marriage? Some sort of home life. Sun Ce and Zhou Yu become oath brothers. I think it's a good idea to create more interactions and cutscenes involving CAWs l, especially with how detailed character creation is. I just hope it's in service of more fulfilling campaigns instead of being fluff.

Would have been nice to see some of the strategic elements shown off. Gameplay from TGS shows you can field specific troops and can control units like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Guess the hack'n'slash aspect hasn't changed huh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do like that castle sieges are part of it, I'm a sucker for those. Hope they're fun

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Drakenel posted:

Like, I would love for this to not suck, but Its hard to shake the issues around the base game.

I'm more in this camp myself. 9 in general did way too much that I just cannot bring myself to enjoy or support.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Does anyone know a place to watch Three Kingdoms 2010 HD English Subs. It's on youtube in 360p, but already watched it years ago like that, wanna watch it in a bit more quality, but it's hard to find. Can't get the boxset sent where I am.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Manic X posted:

Does anyone know a place to watch Three Kingdoms 2010 HD English Subs. It's on youtube in 360p, but already watched it years ago like that, wanna watch it in a bit more quality, but it's hard to find. Can't get the boxset sent where I am.

I got them through :filez: so you could look in the usual spots.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

kdrudy posted:

I got them through :filez: so you could look in the usual spots.

I did so a couple of months ago as well, though admittedly it took a bit of searching.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There's been some DW9E updates.

Officers are assigned to specific provinces and only local officers participate in attack/defense
Apparently there will be a chain of command going on where you can only give orders to those below you (unless you have trust).
Using battle skills together results in coordination bonuses
There's a freeroam thing where you can wander around the full map (?) and also recruit dudes there instead of from menu?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DW9 Complete is like $33ish bucks on sale on PSN right now. I had a REAL bad feeling about the changes described during development, and just stayed away from it when players whose opinions I trusted were also sour on it around launch period. But I acknowledge that over two and a half years is a lot of time for patching to occur, and the sale price for all the poo poo that's packed in with it looks pretty good too. Would folks here say 33 is worth it?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

5er posted:

DW9 Complete is like $33ish bucks on sale on PSN right now. I had a REAL bad feeling about the changes described during development, and just stayed away from it when players whose opinions I trusted were also sour on it around launch period. But I acknowledge that over two and a half years is a lot of time for patching to occur, and the sale price for all the poo poo that's packed in with it looks pretty good too. Would folks here say 33 is worth it?

No. Two and a half years have not been as kind to the game as you hope.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Last time I checked DW9 still has a demo on the PSN and it's a pretty good indicator of how the game is. I played it about 2 years ago after some big patching and talked at lengths about it in this thread but ehhh I dunno I gotta say no it's not worth it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't played the complete edition, so I don't know what they fixed or added, but unless they seriously ripped it apart and put it back together again, I wouldn't pay more than $5-10 for this game, it's really uninspiring.

Like there's a guy who did a youtube lets play of it with something like 100 episodes, and I was clicking around in it to see if the game ever gets more interesting and in one of the later episodes even he's like "this game isn't very good, i'm not having fun"

Maybe empires will be better

e: this is the LP, if you want to click around and get a feel for what the game's like yourself: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLktZQBrBlaHZStpBw2KxJTCx4MUGrHlXe

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Locke posted:

No. Two and a half years have not been as kind to the game as you hope.

Policenaut posted:

Last time I checked DW9 still has a demo on the PSN and it's a pretty good indicator of how the game is. I played it about 2 years ago after some big patching and talked at lengths about it in this thread but ehhh I dunno I gotta say no it's not worth it

Stay the course, it is then. Thank you, fellow citizens.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I would just like to say that I am playing Samurai Warriors 1 XL right now oh god I hate Yoshimoto so much why are you so stupid aaaaaa

I don't even hate his moveset as much as some other characters just... AUGH

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What, you don't like kemari? :suicide:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

What, you don't like kemari? :suicide:

I just did his lower path. The blind mimicry of Kenshin. Kenshin tries so hard to teach him, bless his heart but Yoshimoto learns nothing. And just continues to mindlessly mimic him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All this just makes SW5 Yoshimoto even funnier.

It's pretty wild that they make him the original owner of a legendary sword, refer to him as the Greatest Archer in Tokaido, and make his only signature weapon a giant fuckoff hammer, though. You'd at least expect him to have a proficiency bonus for bows and katanas.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Alright, so, I reached the point where I'm satisfied that I've "finished" with Samurai Warriors 1/XL. Got both/all endings for every character, and got every 5th weapon as well, though in that case only really because XL lets you unlock the ability to grab 5th weapons in Normal difficulty.

Moving on to 2, my immediate initial thought was: "Oh god, what the gently caress did they do to Keiji's voice". Any thoughts or comments on Samurai Warriors 2 as I jump in? (I'm gonna move onto Warriors Orochi 1 afterward, unless my interest wanders away from Warriors games first, which admittedly isn't unlikely)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Alright, so, I reached the point where I'm satisfied that I've "finished" with Samurai Warriors 1/XL. Got both/all endings for every character, and got every 5th weapon as well, though in that case only really because XL lets you unlock the ability to grab 5th weapons in Normal difficulty.

Moving on to 2, my immediate initial thought was: "Oh god, what the gently caress did they do to Keiji's voice". Any thoughts or comments on Samurai Warriors 2 as I jump in? (I'm gonna move onto Warriors Orochi 1 afterward, unless my interest wanders away from Warriors games first, which admittedly isn't unlikely)

Mute the voices.

The gameplay and music is as enjoyable as ever and tearing through the game is an absolute riot, but the voices... "I aM kEiJi MaEda, SeRvAnT oF tHe OdA!!"

:gonk:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll also note that I'm astounded by the AI in this game. I'm used to generic soldiers getting less aggressive as the series went on due to Dynasty Warriors, but not only are the regular soldiers the most aggressive I've ever seen, but the Officers are also impressively aggressive and generally smarter in combat than I'm used to, considering I always play on normal.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I may be very wrong on this because it's been such a horribly long time, but IIRC but the early SW games generally had more aggressive enemies compared to their contemporary DW equivalent (i.e. the pitiful sword-wielding DW4 mooks didn't have the balls to go through with an attack whereas SW troops were varied and attacked as they saw fit, and DW5 generic officers spoke a load of high and mighty bullshit but wore foam gloves compared to the SW2 offerings), but then the Orochi stuff somewhat lobotomised them all across the board and from that point on if it wasn't a notable character poo poo-talking you then it might as well have been nothing at all.

Anyway, while I don't recall the SW2 pleb-tier enemies doing all that much more than the DW5 throwaway units, the SW2 officers would come at you screaming for blood. Or maybe it felt that way because levelling up took longer and I felt more confident in my button-mashing musou powers to play on harder difficulties from the get-go. I can't remember, but what a great time I had with SW2 anyway.

(Meanwhile, DW8/SW4II have unbelievably pathetic mooks, but on higher difficulties the playable officers will happily OHK you with a sudden Musou out of nowhere.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't think I ever got far in SW1, because the castle stages were an insane load of bullshit due to there being almost no health pickups whatsoever, so it essentially became a "don't get hit" challenge and gently caress that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, are Dream Stages in SW2 supposed to be "gently caress YOU" incarnate, or is it just Yukimura's, or am I doing something horrendously wrong?

Even when I do manage to bring down the unholy juggernaut that is Tadakatsu (which takes several minutes in and of itself, and I had to make sure he was absolutely 100% alone to pull it off), I end up having to race back to the Main Camp and get decimated by 6 officers all pulling me apart atom by atom without ever giving me a chance to so much as get back on my feet.

Alternatively, is this one of those games that goes against literally every other Warriors game I've ever played and *DEMANDS* that you start on Easy instead of Normal, and that's what kicking my poo poo in? There was a bit of struggling in some of the others levels, particularly Ueda and Osaka, but this is just obscene.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 16, 2021

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Not all the dream stations are ballbusters but they tend that way, yes. You don't technically get anything beyond the usual for clearing them not even more cutscenes, so if you want to kick them down the road you can. They're all completely ahistorical and tend to fall into 'goofy as gently caress' or 'you vs. the world.'

I'm pretty sure I cleared Yukimara's musou on Normal at least, but then again, I'll step back and grind a bit than smash my head over and over again into a hopeless level. SW2 at least does let you keep some of the exp you get on the stage even if you die.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 16, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, I'm just doing a second run through Yukimura's Musou, then I'll give it another try, and if it still feels like smashing my face against a spiked wall, I'll come back to it later.

EDIT: As an aside, I find it amusing that it appears most of the characters returning from SW1 seem to have their SW1 3rd-through-5th weapons as their 1st-through-3rd in SW2 in terms of appearance.

EDIT 2: I'm started to get actually angry at how good the AI is, to the point of spam-rolling away from my musou attack like they're in loving Dark Souls. I'm just going to reiterate, I have NEVER seen AI this aggressive in ANY Warriors game. This is un-loving-precedented. I'm not playing on Hard difficulty.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 18, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I loving choked on my coffee when I saw that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
huh. that is a price point.

also English language is coming in 2022 iirc from some previews

E: should be 2/15/22 from the trailer, so can play JP 2 months early if you can read

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 21, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lurksion posted:

huh. that is a price point.

it looks like it's $60 USD on my steam store, which is more typical (though still way too much based on what I've played of DW9 vanilla)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

it looks like it's $60 USD on my steam store, which is more typical (though still way too much based on what I've played of DW9 vanilla)

That's even more bizarre.
Why is it 60$ and 70€?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

That's even more bizarre.
Why is it 60$ and 70€?

Cuz American market needs one localization (English, maaaaaaybe Spanish) and Europe needs five of them (British English, French, German, Spanish, Italian)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

HenryEx posted:

Cuz American market needs one localization (English, maaaaaaybe Spanish) and Europe needs five of them (British English, French, German, Spanish, Italian)

French Canadian my dude.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha, yeah, good one.

I mean technically there's people in Texas speaking German, too, but i wouldn't count on Koei even knowing about that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I literally never seen abase version of a game cost more than 60€.
I'm not a fan of this new trend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the Japanese/Asian release on Steam, the western release is Feb 15th and will likely have a more reasonable price point unless Koei have gone insane and think they can charge that just because Sony do for their first party PS5 stuff.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

HenryEx posted:

In case you are serious, Koei only does English localization.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I literally never seen abase version of a game cost more than 60€.
I'm not a fan of this new trend.

new ps5 games range from 70 (bf2042) tot 85 euro (horizon forbidden west, gta5, etc) here. with playstation getting away with that i've seen it seeping into other platforms as well

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's normal that PAL territories get hosed on game prices, especially Australia

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

I loving choked on my coffee when I saw that.

loving :laffo:

I love binging on some musou action but for this price it can gently caress right off.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently the DW9E demo is out for Xbox and PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lurksion posted:

Apparently the DW9E demo is out for Xbox and PS5

PS4 and Switch too, but the demo is only out in Japan right now.