Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

'They are unwilling to pay a higher price for the bread rolls' would be my take on things.

Regarding here in N.I. things look to be fairly good, we won't starve and the food selection is still better than i had available in the 1970s.

I'll take some pork, leek & honey sausages from McAtamney's Butchers over any imported ones from the UK every single time. :colbert:

The butcher in the Spar in my local petrol station does better sausages than you’d ever find in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

smellmycheese posted:

What the DUP and the UKGov don’t want to admit is that things are actually working well here.

I was under the impression that the protocol working well is the problem for them. The better NI looks with its access to the EU's market, the worse it looks for Brexiteers.

Which is hosed if you think about it for a few seconds, but also extremely funny.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Just Another Lurker posted:

'They are unwilling to pay a higher price for the bread rolls' would be my take on things.

Regarding here in N.I. things look to be fairly good, we won't starve and the food selection is still better than i had available in the 1970s.

I'll take some pork, leek & honey sausages from McAtamney's Butchers over any imported ones from the UK every single time. :colbert:

No one's going to starve in the rUK, we're just going to be driven insane through misery

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

I was under the impression that the protocol working well is the problem for them. The better NI looks with its access to the EU's market, the worse it looks for Brexiteers.

Which is hosed if you think about it for a few seconds, but also extremely funny.

Yes absolutely. They both have to pretend the protocol is bad for NI when in fact the opposite is becoming clear for all to see

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

No one's going to starve in the rUK

No one *with money* is going to starve.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There is very little slander of England I will not accept as accurate but the idea that we have bad sausages cannot stand unchallenged.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah Brexit is doing wonders for relations between Ireland and NI

quote:

Brexit minister David Frost has admitted trade between Northern Ireland and Ireland has gone up since Brexit – but suggested it cannot keep benefitting from the EU’s single market, as this would hurt the UK.

Speaking on Policy Exchange’s Brexit Panel on the fringes of Tory party conference, Frost admitted supply chains are being “reordered quite quickly” and trade between Northern Ireland the the Republic has increased in both directions based on both British and Irish figures.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/northern-ireland-protocol-brexit-eu-frost-david-293967/amp/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean the manchester arena bombings were only a few years ago.

Sure, and I don't have a problem with them saying this individual was a terrorist because using a bomb is inherently an act of terror. What I have a problem with is them not saying so from the off because nobody who uses a bomb is anything other than a terrorist. But they didn't, and by saying they had to wait to "examine his methodology" when his methodology was literally the first and only thing we knew it's transparently obvious that it was because they didn't want to say it until they were sure that the bomber either failed the paper bag test or was Irish. It just happens to be exceptionally bad here because when they know up front that the guy with a knife had brown skin they have no problem in dubbing him "terrorist" on the instant even though knives are far from exclusive to terrorists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Funny how that works in the UK given that the vast majority of adults should have living memory of a campaign of terrorist bombing conducted by the whitest motherfuckers on the planet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thank you for the additional Article 16 explanations! So it sounds like the status quo (in this limited aspect) is basically fine for people in NI in practical terms, but ideologically unacceptable to the Conservative and Unionist Party and their political allies?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Frost openly admitted this in a panel recently, weirdly not widely covered.

I downloaded and saved that whole meeting. :agesilaus:

You're damned right it wasn't covered, they were discussing things without any 'spin' and you don't want the general public to see that if it can be avoided.

edit:

big scary monsters posted:

Thank you for the additional Article 16 explanations! So it sounds like the status quo (in this limited aspect) is basically fine for people in NI in practical terms, but ideologically unacceptable to the Conservative and Unionist Party and their political allies?

That's a valid assessment.

Things were good without the border.... nobody cared too much and we just lived our lives.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 16, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Funny how that works in the UK given that the vast majority of adults should have living memory of a campaign of terrorist bombing conducted by the whitest motherfuckers on the planet

Tony Blair & GW Bush?

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
Mix in some wealth generation disruption due to the impact on trade from NI <> rUK and you get to where we are now.
And that's pretty much having to threaten to blow our own balls off if the EU does not give us some more concessions.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

items unavailable:

no cheesy chips

So are they available or not? Seems like this could be a matter of great concern for you, smellmycheese.

If you can get 'no cheesy chips' and 'cheesy chips' in your inventory at the same time you win the game.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oooh

https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1460389646400163849

https://twitter.com/killingbritain/status/1460571223180693504

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

The status quo is somewhat illusory - NI is currently thriving in the absence of any real imposition of customs tariffs, and though the EU is just extending the grace period for the UK to sort their poo poo out it's not looking like that homework is ever getting done in Westminster. How long can that circle remain unsquared is an open question

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stanley Johnson who used the drought in the 70s to force au pairs to work naked? Surely not!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The UK gov is putting a lot of faith in plans that end with "and then they'll look bad!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

Stanley Johnson who used the drought in the 70s to force au pairs to work naked? Surely not!

:staredog:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

using a bomb is inherently an act of terror.
I was arguing about this with someone a while ago - is it? If I murder someone with a knife because I think they're a dick, that's just murder, but if I blow them up it's terrorism?

Terrorism is actually extremely difficult to define, & international discourse on the subject is kinda toxic due to countries like the US refusing to accept any definition that could conceivably apply to state terrorism. Imo it's actually a fairly pointless label, applied selectively to stigmatise certain groups. There are valid reasons to treat indiscriminate violence perpetrated against the general population for political reasons differently to "ordinary" violence, just the same as we treat hate crime differently to regular crime, but nobody can come up with a sensible definition that catches that without also catching state violence, our own security services & whatever overseas freedom fighters support the state's interests this week.

So instead we have terrorism = the violence done by the bad people, who we know are bad because they're terrorists.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

peanut- posted:

There is very little slander of England I will not accept as accurate but the idea that we have bad sausages cannot stand unchallenged.

England doesn't do bad sausages per se, but the sheer amount of producers means you'll find a greater number of poor quality ones compared to Ireland. Tho personally my meat tier is

Ireland > UK > 150 other countries > US > countries without meat

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is that Stanley Johnson the loveable eccentric grandad, daytime TV pundit, and 'environmental campaigner'

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

He also had an "affair" with one of the au pairs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We regret to inform you that milkshake dad is a nonce.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Can we smuggle some white pudding back to the UK via Norn Irn? As long as that's not affected I'm happy.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 16, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

"The villain of the piece is Stanley Johnson.

Bower portrays him as an absent father and violent husband, who punched his wife so hard he broke her nose. Johnson Snr is faithless and a creep: in the parched summer of 1976, he told the family’s two au pairs that the water shortage made washing clothes impossible and therefore they would have to follow the lead set by him and his wife and walk around naked, which they duly did. Naturally, Stanley began sleeping with one of the two young women, in full knowledge of his children."

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ey up miami vice

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also church militancy isn't good, the crusades were very needlessly bloody cruises

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
thankfully the gift shop was invented to put an end to all that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I was arguing about this with someone a while ago - is it? If I murder someone with a knife because I think they're a dick, that's just murder, but if I blow them up it's terrorism?

When was the last time you read about someone using a bomb to murder one person they don't like? I'm not scared of the thought of someone coming at me with a knife or a gun because I haven't done anything to warrant being killed. But bombs are indiscriminate. I can be killed by a bomb simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with no personal animus against me or even a knowledge of my existence. And unless it's some frothing nut who just wants to kill random people, then the intent is not to kill me but to make me fearful at all times that I might be killed. That's the literal definition of terrorism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Terrorism is actually extremely difficult to define, & international discourse on the subject is kinda toxic due to countries like the US refusing to accept any definition that could conceivably apply to state terrorism. Imo it's actually a fairly pointless label, applied selectively to stigmatise certain groups. There are valid reasons to treat indiscriminate violence perpetrated against the general population for political reasons differently to "ordinary" violence, just the same as we treat hate crime differently to regular crime, but nobody can come up with a sensible definition that catches that without also catching state violence, our own security services & whatever overseas freedom fighters support the state's interests this week.

So instead we have terrorism = the violence done by the bad people, who we know are bad because they're terrorists.
I'd argue that hate crime is similarly restricted. I get the rationale, that if you murder someone with a knife because you think they're a dick, that's an attack on them, whereas if you murder someone with a knife because you think they're a Jew (regardless of whether they are or not) then that's an attack on a community, with a chilling effect on community life, but for some reason it never gets applied to murdering someone walking alone at night because you think they're a woman walking alone at night, when that has similar group chilling effects on community safety.

With bombs I think there's a group effect inherent within them. Like if you mantrap the door of a, idk, women's clinic, LGBT centre, Saree business, or so on, whether you intended it as a personal vendetta against the owner or a violent attack on the community who tends to use them, it's going to be seen in some way as the latter, because it's perceived as that it could have been anyone opening up. Same goes for the Brixton/Brick Lane/Admiral Duncan bomber, it was speculated at first that they were just some kind of extortionist or general misanthrope, but it quickly became clear that there was an intended effect, and the targeted communities perceived that effect long before that became clear.

I guess what I'm going for is that identity based violence -> hate crime -> terrorism ought to be a continuum and something like a bomb which, by its nature of attracting a lot of attention and having a high "it could be you next" factor, regardless of the stated intent, ought to place it higher.

Unless you're so bad at bomb that you just kill yourself and arson a taxi I guess, but that still attracts more attention than being so bad at knife that you stab yourself to death.

josh04 posted:

The UK gov is putting a lot of faith in plans that end with "and then they'll look bad!"
Collective narcissism as state policy, especially the bit where it counterintuitively makes you more likely to be disloyal for self-interest as long as you can do it by making other outgroups look bad.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

What the DUP and the UKGov don’t want to admit is that things are actually working well here. Businesses are adapting and shifting their supply chains to get stuff from the ROI and EU rather than the UK and we are not seeing empty shelves or petrol queues here in NI. The way the story was tried to be spun to be about “sausages” was particularly funny as if there’s one thing Ireland isn’t short of it is excellent sausages. There are however some bizarre exceptions like this Premier Inn I stayed at in Derry last week. They’ve clearly refused to adapt their England based supply chain for their crappy microwave meal menu and so 3/4 of their menu is currently unavailable.
Including , bizarrely, bread rolls. They are claiming they cannot find someone to supply them a bread roll in Northern Ireland lol.

and the timing of this posturing really couldn't be more daft because the census results next year are almost certain to show catholics outnumbering protestants in NI for the first time and we're also likely to see a sinn fein first minister after next may's assembly elections

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the tide has a'turned and they are pretending it is the 1970s

why do people keep pretending it's the 1970s, the loving bins are okay and they have been for 50 years

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the DUP indulged themselves in the fantasy of brexit and it's hard to think of how it could have backfired on them more spectactularly

johnson would sign away NI this afternoon to be rid of the headache, if he could

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

the tide has a'turned and they are pretending it is the 1970s

why do people keep pretending it's the 1970s, the loving bins are okay and they have been for 50 years

Because the Tories are about to start checking their car ignition for the additional wires that their Irish mechanic gave them as a free gift?

Nah, it's as simple as the thing about how the best music is the music from when you were 15. In the 70s they were young and could look forward to the future; why don't the ungrateful youth realise that if things were like the 70s again, they could look forward too?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1460576089433165829?t=_FG_-1BMCGlBVdJXYmf8VQ&s=19

:getin: :smaug: :smugwizard:

I'm w00ting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm hesitant to judge a man based on his father's actions, but hearing this stuff about the elder Johnson does rather shed light on some aspects of the PM's attitude to relationships for me.