Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

I've now internalized people pronouncing 'Macan' in all the ways they pronounce 'Pecan'.

The name is derived from the Malay/Indonesian language in Southeast Asia and the 'c' is pronounced as a 'ch'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ranzear posted:

I've now internalized people pronouncing 'Macan' in all the ways they pronounce 'Pecan'.

You mine passin macan of beer to me?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Gatts posted:

Parents might be getting a Porsche McCaan because there are no other cars anywhere else apparently. Is it good?

EDIT: Dealership wanted us to put $7500 down, pay $1000 a month, for 12,000m/yr for 39 months for a 2021 v4 when 2022 are coming in January. I guess they didn't want the business.

Ours is coming up on 130k miles. So far, so (pretty much) good!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Will be packing it away for winter in not too long here. Sad times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I backed mine into the garage. It's not on the quickjacks yet so I can break it out in 5 min if I want to, but yeah, late November so it could be -25 and 1' of snow anytime now.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Do you do anything else for the storage? I have a battery tender and am planning on putting carpet squares or similar under the tires.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

As I enter the first winter in the PacNW with my Boxster, as long as I drive it like once a month, do I need to do anything else? It lives in the garage happily, so no extended exposure to the evil rain and snow.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Battery tender so you are not having to dig around trying to find the cable to open the frunk when the battery dies. It is as fun as it sounds.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Battery tender is minimum, I also like to pump the tires up to ~40psi if it's going to be sitting for a while and ethanol free gas doesn't hurt.

Cayman still fun and I'm almost to 3k miles since purchase, mid June, which will be twice what I put on the i3 in the ~13 months I owned it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I still try to fire the bike/car up once every month or so and let them get up to temp. Not sure if that's an option for you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

I'm going with McCaan from the original post. Maybe McCanaan

Motronic posted:

Sometimes change is just what you need to make things feel new again. Sometimes there's not enough change to be done to scratch that itch.

If you're getting bored with the NB trying something completely different might help you decide what you really want.

Got anything interesting near you on Turo or some other car rental site so you can try something out for a few days at a time?
Yeah maybe worth trying something like that. I'm always a bit paranoid about wrecking an unfamiliar car but I guess it's more about the overall feeling than just driving it at 10/10th in the mountains.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh man that GT4 RS is looking good.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It reminds me a little of the Carrera GT from some angles.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

BigPaddy posted:

It reminds me a little of the Carrera GT from some angles.

There's a bunch of stuff I can point to in the 981 that came directly from the 980 and was inherited by the 718, like little false triangle shaped cutouts under the raked center console emulating the hole in the Carrera's. A whole lotta motif that they brought down from the halo car and took a lot longer for the 911 to adopt.

The straight line across the back definitely goes back to looking more like the Carerra's rear though.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Okay Porsche make this you cowards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWXk4YJrUCa/?utm_medium=copy_link

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I wonder how a 993 and a GT4RS would fit on a lift. :getin:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

TheBacon posted:

Okay Porsche make this you cowards

I'll be honest, I thought the Panamera was rear-engined for the longest time, like it was a stretched 911 wagon with everything nicely packed under the floor in the back. New Taycan wagon fits the bill.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ranzear posted:

I'll be honest, I thought the Panamera was rear-engined for the longest time, like it was a stretched 911 wagon with everything nicely packed under the floor in the back. New Taycan wagon fits the bill.

I do like the sport turismo a lot, the taycan one sucks though because it is the slightly lifted + black plastic cladding "off road" cross turismo :/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

I do like the sport turismo a lot, the taycan one sucks though because it is the slightly lifted + black plastic cladding "off road" cross turismo :/

Check again!

Starting at only $133k

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Check again!

Starting at only $133k

DO HO HO I have been corrected! Well poo poo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Oh man that GT4 RS is looking good.

Wife hasn't said no. :aaa:

There's no way I get one at MSRP.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheBacon posted:

The Taycan Sport Turismo was announced yesterday. Looks great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Wife hasn't said no. :aaa:

There's no way I get one at MSRP.

Lmfao 56 people on the list.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In all fairness if now is the first time you’re inquiring about it was already too late, I’m sure people have had deposits or agreements of some kind for years now for the GT4RS.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

RoyalScion posted:

In all fairness if now is the first time you’re inquiring about it was already too late, I’m sure people have had deposits or agreements of some kind for years now for the GT4RS.

Third dealer’s the charm!

:getin:

I’ve got plenty of time to convince myself buying this would be super dumb.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Best of luck then; kind of wonder what the production timelines will be like.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Battery tender so you are not having to dig around trying to find the cable to open the frunk when the battery dies. It is as fun as it sounds.

I relocated mine to the tow hook hole. Makes this process much easier (for burglars).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mission-R concept car

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-porsche-mission-r-concept-review

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

does it have a latch system so I can take the kids to daycare?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can't see much boot space

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hey look, a fully functional VM of PIWIS 38.4.

This won't get me in to trouble in combination with the Durametric cable. I wonder if I can enable the higher spec vehicle menu display options like the boost gauge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Hey look, a fully functional VM of PIWIS 38.4.

This won't get me in to trouble in combination with the Durametric cable. I wonder if I can enable the higher spec vehicle menu display options like the boost gauge.

Doesn't Durametric let you do that already? It did a lot of that kind of thing on the lower Boxster trims at least.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Doesn't Durametric let you do that already? It did a lot of that kind of thing on the lower Boxster trims at least.

I think Durametric is pretty much a glorified OBD2 reader for recent Porsches, if it works at all. Coding is definitely a no.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The enthusiast version is, the pro version gets you a little more, I know it'll do coding for DRL enable or disable, but otherwise it doesn't do the fun stuff like coding modules to the vehicle, or coding a radio to the vehicle, or coding keys to a vehicle, or...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

As Bajaja said, there's the enthusiast vs Pro differences. Plus, Durametric support ends after the 2015 model year. Since our Macan is a 2017, even simple service reminder resets are not officially supported. (Unofficially, they do work after a couple tries.) Even if you do have the PIWIS software, you still need the correct USB to OBD cable and Durametric is the cheapest way to get it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I think Durametric is pretty much a glorified OBD2 reader for recent Porsches, if it works at all. Coding is definitely a no.

Yeah, I have to pro version, and can code limited things. And do important things like recalibarate the air suspension. I haven't figured out how to make it stop dropping from "terrain" level when I exceed 50 MPH though.....which is a problem because with the KO2s on there I can't make a hard left below that setting without rubbing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

The enthusiast version is, the pro version gets you a little more, I know it'll do coding for DRL enable or disable, but otherwise it doesn't do the fun stuff like coding modules to the vehicle, or coding a radio to the vehicle, or coding keys to a vehicle, or...

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I have to pro version, and can code limited things. And do important things like recalibarate the air suspension. I haven't figured out how to make it stop dropping from "terrain" level when I exceed 50 MPH though.....which is a problem because with the KO2s on there I can't make a hard left below that setting without rubbing.

On older Porsches yes, but for anything recent (981/991 generation and up), they haven't broken the encryption or whatever that allows them to code things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

On older Porsches yes, but for anything recent (981/991 generation and up), they haven't broken the encryption or whatever that allows them to code things.

That's a shame. We need right to repair, dammit! How else are we going to mod our bougiemobiles?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I went and got keys done already for cheap but where would you recommend one purchase this software and cable if so inclined, since my 01 is older and likely supported?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

That's a shame. We need right to repair, dammit! How else are we going to mod our bougiemobiles?

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Por...38485144&sr=8-2

This thing will at least allow you to reset service/oil reminders on more recent cars, and may potentially allow for a few more things.

The Durametric folks don't seem particularly motivated to make things better.