Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What is this, a fancy drip maker? Is it really worth it vs my $40 Hamilton beach? Asking sincerely, as I am always pro-better coffee as long as I don’t have to clean out my French press every morning.

Yes, it is just a fancy drip maker. I have a 5 cup coffee maker similar to this made by Bonavita, where the filter basket is external to the machine. It was well reviewed, and I do like the coffee made from it, but I'm not sure if there is huge benefit relative to a Mr. Coffee.

I suspect that most of the benefit of this kind of machine and manual pour-over setups over a Mr. Coffee is that you probably tend to clean the coffee crud off of the carafe & basket more often. Maybe the water temp is better too? I have noticed that the coffee coming out of the device isn't boiling hot like in many other drip machines I've used.

edit: Nephzinho is right in that a relatively more important thing for improving coffee quality is getting a coffee grinder which produces a consistent grind.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I am struggling with the fact that I want a fancy moccamaster sort of thing but it doesn't have timer-on like my $40 Hamilton Beach.

Well the thing is you should be grinding your beans a la minute with that thing, it’s not really designed to be set up the night before. So I’m guessing that’s why there’s no timer.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
My quality of life improved significantly when I went back to pre-ground and a French press. Ill microwave my coffee sometimes when it gets too cold. Come at me cork sniffers.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
French press is way more work than a drip machine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love my pre-ground beans

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My quality of life improved significantly when I went back to pre-ground and a French press. Ill microwave my coffee sometimes when it gets too cold. Come at me cork sniffers.

:shrug: Coffee is subject to taste! If pre ground microwaved coffee works for you, more power to you. If you're spending November comparing black friday deals trying to convince yourself you can afford a Rocket, you have my sympathy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You like what you like. It’s fine. Drink keurig coffee with butterscotch creamer if that’s your thing. Or roast your own beans and carefully weight and time a cup of pour over. You do you.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I have 2 kids and I work from home so the probability of me forgetting I made a pot or poured a cup is very high, leading to a lot of wasted coffee. That’s why I just buy the big tub of Folgers from Costco.

I do keep some nice stuff I grind on demand if I feel like using the French press.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

silence_kit posted:

Eh, its not in my experience. A splash of water, swish it around, dump the grounds in the trash and rinse it out. It takes up less space and I don't need to buy filters or clean out the gold filter. You do have to occasionally pull the plunger apart to clean it, I guess. I can take it with me when I'm camping though, so thats a bonus.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You like what you like. It’s fine. Drink keurig coffee with butterscotch creamer if that’s your thing. Or roast your own beans and carefully weight and time a cup of pour over. You do you.

I would actually love to roast my own to be honest. I have a friend thats super into roasting and its really tasty. I already have a lot of dumb expensive hobbies though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I have 2 kids and I work from home so the probability of me forgetting I made a pot or poured a cup is very high, leading to a lot of wasted coffee. That’s why I just buy the big tub of Folgers from Costco.

Foofy coffee is so cheap relative to the cost of raising a kid

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eh, its not in my experience. A splash of water, swish it around, dump the grounds in the trash and rinse it out. It takes up less space and I don't need to buy filters or clean out the gold filter. You do have to occasionally pull the plunger apart to clean it, I guess.

You have to clean the plunger pretty often IME. And you are leaving out a great convenience of the drip machine—you don’t need to wait for water to heat up and THEN pour it into the coffee. The drip machine does it for you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well the thing is you should be grinding your beans a la minute with that thing, it’s not really designed to be set up the night before. So I’m guessing that’s why there’s no timer.

I know. But I would spend too for it if it had that feature.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

H110Hawk posted:

I know. But I would spend too for it if it had that feature.

I can't vouch for this product, but I'm posting this to say that a similar kind of product DOES exist, without an external filter basket:

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC...&language=en_US

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Buying beans and grinding them yourself saves you money in the long run as well.
I picked up an OXO burr grinder last year and it's great, I buy a 2lb bag of beans from costco for the same price as a pound of pre-ground from the same company.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I use Chemex daily, and that gets tiring when family are in town, and all want a cup at different times. Had a Cuisinart Grind & Brew for years, but prefer the consistency of grind I get from my burr grinder vs the blade grinder in the Cuisinart. Plus this new machine has the option for half/full pots (you could definitely do it before, but this one allegedly works better?), and with it getting colder, I'll likely boost my daily cup count. Based on all the videos I watched, the Moccamaster is as close as you can get to pour over, so here we are.

Plus it looks neat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah I don't want a grind n brew. I want a moccamaster with timed on. They can just charge me an extra $50 or $100 for smugness or whatever. I want to wake up at 6am and have a pot of coffee waiting for me. I also need 10+ cups for when company is over.

For now this Hamilton Beach thing is fine enough.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Technivorm can also be purchased in racing colours.

https://www.drivecoffee.com/collections/tools-1

If I had the space for one, I'd 100% be rocking a matching Martini coffee grinder/maker.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah I don't want a grind n brew. I want a moccamaster with timed on. They can just charge me an extra $50 or $100 for smugness or whatever. I want to wake up at 6am and have a pot of coffee waiting for me. I also need 10+ cups for when company is over.

For now this Hamilton Beach thing is fine enough.

I'd just get one of those clock thingies that you put in the outlet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd just get one of those clock thingies that you put in the outlet.

I presume the "brew" button is momentary. A timer won't do it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

It doesn't seem like it has a brew button based on https://www.williams-sonoma.com/netstorage/pdf/Technivorm-Moccamaster-KBG-Select-Manual.pdf, just a power switch.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

mystes posted:

It doesn't seem like it has a brew button based on https://www.williams-sonoma.com/netstorage/pdf/Technivorm-Moccamaster-KBG-Select-Manual.pdf, just a power switch.

If that’s the case, leave the switch on and get a wemo wall socket smart switch (or some other brand). They all have time related settings you can use.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mystes posted:

There you go, I had just assumed that it was momentary. Could someone with one trip report if that works? I don't know if it would be something I'm willing to have to fiddle with to make the afternoon cup of coffee. It probably also won't pass the wife test.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If that’s the case, leave the switch on and get a wemo wall socket smart switch (or some other brand). They all have time related settings you can use.

I don't have iot poo poo in my house. Neither should you. :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Use one of these then?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ok, if you’re going to do it the boomer way: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-One-Outlet-Indoor-Timer/1002782760

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah that's what I was going to use, just have to figure out if I would be OK with it and if the wife would. I have one in my nightstand drawer I believe.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I do not care for coffee. Is it so very hard to make? Just get up in the morning and make some coffee, no?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

silence_kit posted:

Really? I just dump the grinds into my compost bucket, give it a quick rinse when I'm done, and it's ready to go again. An electric kettle does make a world of difference though, my water is heated and ready by the time I'm done grinding the beans, so it's just set and forget while I make the rest of my breakfast.

I'm always annoyed about what a pain in the butt it is to use a drip maker whenever I'm traveling. Having to take it apart, rinse all the stupid parts out, splash water everywhere trying to fill up the tank, then dump the rest because I inevitably make too much, drip the leaky used filter and grinds everwhere taking it to a trashcan... I just hate everything about the experience vs the simplicity and laziness of french press. And that's not even mentioning the lovely brew I have to force down at the end of it all

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

gleebster posted:

I do not care for coffee. Is it so very hard to make? Just get up in the morning and make some coffee, no?

No, but all the various ways to make it and beans to make change things up drastically so people have a lot of opinions and varying taste. Same with any food or beverage hobby really.

Like, a dollar burger from McDonalds is cheap and easy, but a perfectly grilled burger over charcoal is a different world.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

I don't have iot poo poo in my house. Neither should you. :v:

I have one smart device in my house and it's a smart plug for my espresso machine. It turns on 30 minutes before I wake up of a weekday so my machine is nice and hot and ready to pull a shot then I toggle it on before I leave to drive home from work for my afternoon espresso and it's the fucken best.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm always annoyed about what a pain in the butt it is to use a drip maker whenever I'm traveling. Having to take it apart, rinse all the stupid parts out, splash water everywhere trying to fill up the tank, then dump the rest because I inevitably make too much, drip the leaky used filter and grinds everwhere taking it to a trashcan... I just hate everything about the experience vs the simplicity and laziness of french press. And that's not even mentioning the lovely brew I have to force down at the end of it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4zMofsI7w

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

H110Hawk posted:

It will, i tested it on my own machine

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

It will, i tested it on my own machine

Well poo poo. Why did you have to go and ruin my flimsy excuse not to investigate this further?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I also recently bought a new coffee maker

It's a Breville BDC450BSS. I wanted a few things the moccamaster doesn't have (like a timer and options for brewing).

Cheap drip makers use a bubble pump. The bubbles formed by boiling the water actually push it up in packets, which means that the flow is inconsistent and too hot. Also slow.

Good coffee makers use a pump and can brew a full pot in 5 minutes or so with consistent flow rate and temperature that's lower (~200 F vs ~212 F). They also do a better job evenly dispersing the water over the grounds.

I buy whole beans because I prefer a courser grind compared to what you'd get in the pre-ground stuff. Tends to be more mellow that way.

I use it every day and always drink my coffee black so it's worth it to have better tasting stuff. If you buy coffee at a shop daily they pay for themselves in a few months and instead of a cup you get a whole pot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

YES! Unironically this is exactly what it feels like. Pouring an awkward pot into the back corner tank without dribbling water everywhere is impossible. It's like lovely coffee makers are explicitly designed to induce irritation

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I also recently bought a new coffee maker

It's a Breville BDC450BSS. I wanted a few things the moccamaster doesn't have (like a timer and options for brewing).

Cheap drip makers use a bubble pump. The bubbles formed by boiling the water actually push it up in packets, which means that the flow is inconsistent and too hot. Also slow.

Good coffee makers use a pump and can brew a full pot in 5 minutes or so with consistent flow rate and temperature that's lower (~200 F vs ~212 F). They also do a better job evenly dispersing the water over the grounds.

I buy whole beans because I prefer a courser grind compared to what you'd get in the pre-ground stuff. Tends to be more mellow that way.

I use it every day and always drink my coffee black so it's worth it to have better tasting stuff. If you buy coffee at a shop daily they pay for themselves in a few months and instead of a cup you get a whole pot.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that about the bubble pump. I also thought one of the issues with drip coffee makers was the heater element, makes the pot too hot and breaks down the caffeine and other compounds contributing to the bitter taste. Does that one brew into a carafe, or is oversteeping/too hot on the brew side more of the issue that creates a bad cup?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

YES! Unironically this is exactly what it feels like. Pouring an awkward pot into the back corner tank without dribbling water everywhere is impossible. It's like lovely coffee makers are explicitly designed to induce irritation

I love that YouTube video. Infomercials are a fun part of American Culture.

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's really interesting, I didn't know that about the bubble pump. I also thought one of the issues with drip coffee makers was the heater element, makes the pot too hot and breaks down the caffeine and other compounds contributing to the bitter taste. Does that one brew into a carafe, or is oversteeping/too hot on the brew side more of the issue that creates a bad cup?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the pot heater element if it isn't too hot.

My $70 Bonavita BV1500TS machine was less fancy and doesn't have the pot heater element. I don't think you really need the pot heater if you only brew what you want to drink or put into a thermos immediately. Also, good black coffee tastes better when it is cooler, IMO.

I also replaced the metal carafe which came with the Bonavita machine with a glass one because the Bonavita metal carafe design was really terrible.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Nov 16, 2021

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
On my days off I make a full pot of coffee and then, over the course of the morning, drink the entire pot of coffee.

Life owns.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

We fill our coffee maker with the novelty plastic theater cup from the Disney movie that had the audacity to have a gay character. It's sturdy, yet squishable enough to direct the flow. This was not meant to be a euphemism, but here we are.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OGDanDogg posted:

We fill our coffee maker with the novelty plastic theater cup from the Disney movie that had the audacity to have a gay character. It's sturdy, yet squishable enough to direct the flow. This was not meant to be a euphemism, but here we are.

I have a Ninja coffee maker that has a REMOVABLE tank. I just lift it up, fill it up at the sink, and plot it back into place. So much easier and less prone to spills.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I used to joke that, in college, you could always tell I had a paper due if I had an XL black coffee from Dunkin Donuts, as it helped me concentrate. After I graduated, I used to drink a pot of coffee every day, but since starting on Adderall I can only handle a cup before I start getting jittery. Now I understand why they make decaf coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have a Ninja coffee maker that has a REMOVABLE tank. I just lift it up, fill it up at the sink, and plot it back into place. So much easier and less prone to spills.

Mine's removable too. The cup is just easier to fit under the fridge water dispenser. Also, to horrify the thread, it's a Keurig. I use refillable cups though. Protip/lifehack/WTF: if you don't rinse the cups out after you dump them the coffee tastes better. I was lazy for a few days and my wife commented on the coffee tasting better. She's in the know now, but it was still a weird discovery.

To get back to the spirit of the thread, I bought a new modem (Motorola MB8611) and router (NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P)) since I saw Xfinity digging in my neighborhood. I actually got my current ISP to upgrade from 30Mb to 1Gb for a year for not switching. Still wishing Google Fiber comes here, since upload speed is still terrible. It's my understanding that all of their expansion activities stopped though.

For my birthday, I also bought a BC Rich Ironbird Extreme that's been on order since March 2020. I guess COVID, manufacturing issues, supply chain, etc., has delayed things. It's a legit company that is willing to refund at any point, but I'm still just holding out for surprise guitar on the porch.