Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the bit about Oumuamua first observed at an 'at rest' speed was the stunning bit for me.

he tells you to be a bird above a very freeway observing the speed of each car compared to the cluster of cars around it. some of these cars will be hitting the exact average speed and so, in relation to the faster or slower ones its 'at rest'

the odds of a random bit of shiny rock hitting our solar systems 'at rest' speed are really loving stupid. and then it speeds up

i dont suppose anyones had a serious looksee along its exit trajectory? maybe its off to the auto-tune shop or to snoop on another interesting planet/system

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 10:21 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sleekly posted:

the bit about Oumuamua first observed at an 'at rest' speed was the stunning bit for me.

he tells you to be a bird above a very freeway observing the speed of each car compared to the cluster of cars around it. some of these cars will be hitting the exact average speed and so, in relation to the faster or slower ones its 'at rest'

the odds of a random bit of shiny rock hitting our solar systems 'at rest' speed are really loving stupid. and then it speeds up

i dont suppose anyones had a serious looksee along its exit trajectory? maybe its off to the auto-tune shop or to snoop on another interesting planet/system

e: yeah this, weird.

it dont matter has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Nov 16, 2021

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Objurium posted:

what's strongly implied to be the Roswell crash site with him for meta materials. It's Chapter 2 lol.

Isn't it definitely not Roswell? It's been a little while since I read it but my memory was that it was another alleged crash site in New Mexico from around the same time, which only a few people knew about and was being purposefully kept secret.

I wonder if it's related to the thing in Vallee's latest book, Trinity. I'm only a little way into that so far but it's talking about another incident from 1945.

American Cosmic is fun but I found it slightly frustrating too as it drops loads of interesting tidbits but never explores them in more detail. Which is fair enough I guess, it isn't the main point of it, but still, I'd like someone else to pick up the threads she leaves dangling and run with it.

The stuff about people getting sudden inspiration for new technology and avenues for research is fascinating. The same thing pops up in Annie Jacobson's Phenomena, and I think it's mentioned in Nick Cook's Hunt for Zero Point, too.

it dont matter has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Nov 16, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sleekly posted:

what I'm wondering is what has been determined about the direction it came from. conspicuously missing from anything I've seen so far. it shouldn't be difficult to track back it's path... perhaps the James Webb telescope will be pointed there after it's ready lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

what I'm wondering is what has been determined about the direction it came from. conspicuously missing from anything I've seen so far. it shouldn't be difficult to track back it's path... perhaps the James Webb telescope will be pointed there after it's ready lol

yeah that too actually! so carried away in the mystery of the thing no ones done the basic detective work

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Isn't the idea that the O came from the Oort cloud? And therefore an 'at rest' speed is expected. And then it accelerates because it's barrelling towards the sun. I don't know, I need to read the book. Also, plus one rec. for American Cosmic. There is an excellent podcast with the author.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

Isn't the idea that the O came from the Oort cloud? And therefore an 'at rest' speed is expected. And then it accelerates because it's barrelling towards the sun. I don't know, I need to read the book. Also, plus one rec. for American Cosmic. There is an excellent podcast with the author.

im not a scientist but as i understand it the boost it got from the sun is very much faster than it should be, assuming its an asteroid type object.

that was part of the reason for the "its made of nitrogen" hypothesis because that would act as a fuel to be providing the boosted speed as it burns off, it would also not be visible to us unlike a comets tail

not knowing its shape or dimensions means we also cant really examine the turn it did in much detail, anything going that fast near such gravity wells would have done a similar turn. our spacecraft use that mechanic often but it would look a lot like any other asteroid at a glance

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

isnt the Oort cloud one of those theroetical bodies that would explain some things but is itself mostly unknown? it seems kinda like "wizard did it" but to its used to explain any sort of not-from-round-here object that wanders in?

edit: if it is real im choosing to believe its a prison and this is the galactic version of old time australia for criminal souls

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 11:35 on Nov 16, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the oort cloud is where rorschach lives

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

The wikipedia article has a fairly up to date section on what's been ruled out and what's still in the maybe pile. Plenty more to work on, but there are four potential star systems compatible with it having approached us starting a million years ago.If it was intelligently built and launched probe or ship, we definitely had an atmosphere indicating life back then. Also worth nothing that disc shaped or highly oblate spheroid seems to be the likely shape according to Wikipedia.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The rational, scientific explanation is that it's an asteroid of a shape we've never seen before, composed of an abundance of material which 1) we have also never seen before and 2) seems to be mathematically impossible, and it moved in ways that natural objects have never been observed to have done so before

At this time of year
At this time of day
localized entirely to your kitchen
may I see it?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

for anyone not checking out avi loeb's book yet, john michael godier basically got his event horizon channel started covering oumuamua. here's an interview with a dude that did a bunch of modeling to determine its properties. long story short- we don't know lol. BUT his model best fits a 1:7 aspect ratio disk, and an arbitrarily thin disk (light sail) fits the data reasonably well. cigar-shaped thing is highly unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cowpWhYuY8

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
just wait until we find planet 9 and it’s revealed to be an old space prison from which the originator of life escaped (crime fungus)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
there is a reason we’re destroying the planet with non fungal tokens. it’s because fungus is known to be criminals in the rest of the universe and they don’t want fungus tokens if they’re to sell us the warp drive plans

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

More like the fart cloud lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

endocriminologist posted:

just wait until we find planet 9 and it’s revealed to be an old space prison from which the originator of life escaped (crime fungus)

hp Lovecraft's aliens from Pluto were fungoids. he knew :tinfoil:

ordered the Loeb book, I've been blitzing through CHAOS and crack pinging several times (just got to Jolly West lmao) so can't wait to keep this train going

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

the virgin debunker: Kramer’s into thread, hasn’t looked at evidence since watching Men in Black in 1999, “jet pilots are morons, lol, they have no ability to track the speed of anything in the air”

the chad thread lurker: already remote viewing the fungi based intelligent life to ask them who really established the Manson family

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if the military has high res alien pics wouldn’t trump have seen them and told us about them?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cool av posted:

if the military has high res alien pics wouldn’t trump have seen them and told us about them?

he made some noises to the effect that he doesn't care about ufos when he was asked one time, so the funniest interpretation is that they tried and he didn't give a poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they tried to show Biden the pics of 3.5 - 4.5 ft tall grays but he just kept trying to smell the pics

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I did the hemisync intro and as soon as the sound started (well, shortly after but soon enough after the warbling started) I was taken back to when I used to meditate.
I recall the book I was reading from said to look for many points of light, like fireflies and so that's always how I would start. Sure enough, I saw points of light zipping around but they were more like shooting stars or flurries of snow swirling around at night. It was fascinating to see the same thing evoked but in a slightly different way.

After you focused on the many points you were meant to focus on a singular point, like a candle flame, and sure enough the many points soon went away and I saw instead a pulsing figure like a nebula, but the energy seeming to pulsate inward to the core like a heartbeat.

I think this may be a real thing. I don't know what sort of real thing but... real.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

if you’ve tried this stuff before but bounced off or otherwise didn’t get anywhere, the real deal of the aiteeth was they changed the dip switches so some stuff is easier now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

my bony fealty posted:

they tried to show Biden the pics of 3.5 - 4.5 ft tall grays but he just kept trying to smell the pics

No hair, do not care to sniff.

Next item on the agenda,

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Sextro posted:

if you’ve tried this stuff before but bounced off or otherwise didn’t get anywhere, the real deal of the aiteeth was they changed the dip switches so some stuff is easier now

Oumuamua was a service call

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

it dont matter posted:

Isn't it definitely not Roswell? It's been a little while since I read it but my memory was that it was another alleged crash site in New Mexico from around the same time, which only a few people knew about and was being purposefully kept secret.

Oh poo poo, maybe? I forgot Skinwalkers at the Pentagon on this road trip I'm on right now so I Kindled American Cosmic and was half nodding off for parts of it (cars and phone reading make me sleepy af)

For the hemisync stuff - is this something you could reasonably take a shot at while winding down for the night or slipping into a hypnagogic state? Or would it be better off attempted with intention during waking hours?

lmao that nerds are wandering in trying to start arguments and everyone's like "not now loser we're binaurally OPing ourselves"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Objurium posted:

Oh poo poo, maybe? I forgot Skinwalkers at the Pentagon on this road trip I'm on right now so I Kindled American Cosmic and was half nodding off for parts of it (cars and phone reading make me sleepy af)

For the hemisync stuff - is this something you could reasonably take a shot at while winding down for the night or slipping into a hypnagogic state? Or would it be better off attempted with intention during waking hours?

lmao that nerds are wandering in trying to start arguments and everyone's like "not now loser we're binaurally OPing ourselves"

I do it right before going to sleep and elements of it have started appearing in my dreams. I don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it but it's fun so far.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Objurium posted:

Nerds: "The sky snake isn't real what the gently caress are you all talking about look at these charts"

Me, to the sky snake: "Get a load of this jackass, huh?"

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

jizz bozos lmao

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Sleekly posted:

Well, that's kinda what I'd expect of a random bit of interstellar debris that's had time to virialize within the milky way disc.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

It's wild that we dream for 1/3 of our lives or so and science is like :shrug:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nerds: "The sky snake isn't real what the gently caress are you all talking about look at these charts"

Me, to the sky snake: "Get a load of this jackass, huh?"

Oh poo poo you've seen that homie too? I made this after a visit to the mycelium dimension a few months ago lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i thought american cosmic was kinda bad and palsulka comes of as a credulous tourist in a world of hustlers

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Oort cloud origin is unlikely because the kinetic energy of the object indicates a hyperbolic trajectory, i.e. not bound by our solar system but from outside of it. That's what got everyone's attention. Yes it accelerated due to gravity but we also observed "non-gravitational acceleration" as it *left* the solar system, without any observed outgassing!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Saw a hosed up object in focus 12 and at the time I was like lol wtf is that that's not possible and only later learned what I saw was a torus

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

skewetoo posted:

It's wild that we dream for 1/3 of our lives or so and science is like :shrug:

How about the existence of consciousness, a fundamental and inescapable fact of reality, the only thing we know with certainty, something ontologically distinct from literally all of physical science? Science is a grand project for producing knowledge, and the importance of it cannot be overstated, but this project takes place within a larger context, that of being an incarnated human being on planet earth.

Rickshaw has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Nov 16, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i thought american cosmic was kinda bad and palsulka comes of as a credulous tourist in a world of hustlers

same, honestly. The guy she meets that takes them to the "secret" debris field hits every cliche, including "I invented so many amazing things no you can't see them they're secret." She brings along a supposed expert scientist to examine the debris, but all she relays of his data is poo poo like "It's so amazing, I have no idea what it is." I do material characterization work and there are no details, let alone anything that actually sounds credible about it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What's funny about the gateway/hemisync thing is that I am seeing the repetition of that swirling/crashing wave movement that was the shooting stars in my mind's eye everywhere now this morning
the way the leaves sway and fall, birds swooping around, bugs, the wind and clouds
that motion is everywhere

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Here, I have a post where I quoted bits of American Cosmic: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914&userid=143367&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post515323882

The one that really bugs me I'll re-quote here, because

quote:

James and Tyler believed they had evidence, not just faith, to support their belief in the extraterrestrial source of the artifacts and the authenticity of the crash site. Prior to this trip, Tyler had given James an analysis of some of the parts. James knew what he was looking at, and, according to him, if this analysis actually corresponded to the makeup of the artifacts, then they were one of two things: they were something that someone paid millions, if not billions, of dollars to fabricate or “something” made them somewhere other than on Earth with technologies we did not understand.

there's no detail. Just a claim that these materials are incredible. Tell me how. I don't need a whole scientific paper, but if you're making that claim, at least give me the overview.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

How about the existence of consciousness, a fundamental and inescapable fact of reality, the only thing we know with certainty, something ontologically distinct from literally all of physical science? Science is a grand project for producing knowledge, and the importance of it cannot be overstated, but this project takes place within a larger context, that of being an incarnated human being on planet earth.

bah gawd, that's david hoffman's music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Log082 posted:

Here, I have a post where I quoted bits of American Cosmic: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914&userid=143367&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post515323882

The one that really bugs me I'll re-quote here, because

there's no detail. Just a claim that these materials are incredible. Tell me how. I don't need a whole scientific paper, but if you're making that claim, at least give me the overview.

Yeah that's fair. I suppose the level that I engage with most of the fringe parts of ufology is essentially like "whoa that's neat to think about" rather than something more clinical, but even even the author's stated hesitance to engage with Tyler because he was rumored to be "an agent" followed by subsequently being won over when he shows how charismatic he is through a series of non-consensually filmed video interviews was pretty cool lmao