Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So, normally I dont have issues with Sealed, but this time I ended up playing U/R aggro..ish? and it went 2-2 out which was okay but not great. Should i have been playing green? I think Oddity is top tier, and Colossus/Cadet/Hunter are all pretty good. Or does anyone have a U/R list to share, since maybe I'm playing bad cards.

http://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_VOW&pool_id=k22x6XWQJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
They released the set list for the Innistrad Double Feature draft box: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/innistrad-double-feature-product-overview-2021-11-15

For some reason, I had thought all the cards would be in the eternal night showcase treatment, but instead it's just B&W versions of the regular art.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So, normally I dont have issues with Sealed, but this time I ended up playing U/R aggro..ish? and it went 2-2 out which was okay but not great. Should i have been playing green? I think Oddity is top tier, and Colossus/Cadet/Hunter are all pretty good. Or does anyone have a U/R list to share, since maybe I'm playing bad cards.

I feel confident saying you should've been playing UG with the 5 good to great fliers or G/R.

This is how I'd build, at a glance

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok so between MID and VOW how many did you get

So I started playing arena seriously at the beginning of MID. I have had an account since beta though not with much stuff on it. I think I started with 25k gold, 8k gems, 5 mythic WCs and 15ish rare WCs. I did 24 MID drafts over the season, and played a bit of standard using the welcome deck to get to plat and mostly brawl to hit 4 wins most days. I ended up buying the season pass and then cracking all my packs at the end. I got a helpful email saying that amounted to 147 packs and I am now at 60k gold 9k gems after buying the VOW pass, with I'd say 60% rare & mythic coverage from MID and my WCs are at 26/53. So if you buy a lump of gems once and draft reasonably well and hit your dailies it's not actually that bad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I started playing arena seriously at the beginning of MID. I have had an account since beta though not with much stuff on it. I think I started with 25k gold, 8k gems, 5 mythic WCs and 15ish rare WCs. I did 24 MID drafts over the season, and played a bit of standard using the welcome deck to get to plat and mostly brawl to hit 4 wins most days. I ended up buying the season pass and then cracking all my packs at the end. I got a helpful email saying that amounted to 147 packs and I am now at 60k gold 9k gems after buying the VOW pass, with I'd say 60% rare & mythic coverage from MID and my WCs are at 26/53. So if you buy a lump of gems once and draft reasonably well and hit your dailies it's not actually that bad.
If I'm reading this correctly though you only got about 10, plus 60% coverage. That coverage isn't 4-of right? 1 is the same as 100?
That sounds awful to me and seems to support my "you couldn't build a new deck for the new set, only improve an existing one" belief.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The advice "just have a winning record in draft" forgets that there are two players in every draft game, and that for people to have winning records other people must have losing records. I don't think you can ignore how the Arena economy feels to those people.

If you've been playing in GPs for years, your experience might not be representative of someone who's been playing the game for a year and hasn't devoted themselves to getting better and playing at a high level.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 15, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

i went with this...

into the night might be too expensive though but seems like the werewolves in this deck will ping out 1/2 toughness creatures, while howling moon giving +2/+2 to a wolf each turn is pretty crazy and if they try to go back to day you get a free 2/2 wolf. i dropped cloaked cadet because his cost and his 2/4 didn't seem good when you're trying to just get to one of your bigger creatures and by the time you get to those you probably don't need the training... ancestral anger could probably be traded out for other things too but it at least draws a card.

but who knows... i built a B/R vampire deck yesterday with tons of them having blood token abilities and the best i could hold was 5.. and went 0-3 so yeah..

edit: just realized only not enough non-creature spells to play kessig.. so maybe switch that out for dawnhart disciple or just use as a blocker

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 15, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

If I'm reading this correctly though you only got about 10, plus 60% coverage. That coverage isn't 4-of right? 1 is the same as 100?
That sounds awful to me and seems to support my "you couldn't build a new deck for the new set, only improve an existing one" belief.

No that is coverage-of-playsets. I can check after work but without purchasing any packs or redeeming any WCs I ended up net WCs and am most of the way to getting every/rare mythic, so that if I DID want to redeem a WC I am more likely than not half or mostly there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TacoNight posted:

They released the set list for the Innistrad Double Feature draft box: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/innistrad-double-feature-product-overview-2021-11-15

For some reason, I had thought all the cards would be in the eternal night showcase treatment, but instead it's just B&W versions of the regular art.

the weird thing is that the set list is just "everything from MID and VOW." I could've sworn they were saying this would be a curated list

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I believe the math still bears out that it makes sense to use all your gold and gems on drafts even if you’re very bad at them. It of course may not be all that fun to slog through them if you aren’t having a good time (and are under no obligation to draft)

The economy is pretty punishing and it’s pretty hard to get established and yeah I do think it takes several sets to build up enough wildcards to have multiple competitive decks going in standard. Once you’re up and running though it’s fairly easy to maintain and adjust and even branch into new deck archetypes.

Probably the worst thing Wizards has done is make rare dual lands a staple of most sets. It’s punishing to make 40 rare cards every set necessary to have all the colors you need to play every deck. And also….boring.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And also painful to pass them in draft.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Probably the worst thing Wizards has done is make rare dual lands a staple of most sets. It’s punishing to make 40 rare cards every set necessary to have all the colors you need to play every deck. And also….boring.

Your point is well-taken but it's 20/set, as they rarely (ever?) do full 10-guild (or 10-tri color) cycles of lands.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

TipTow posted:

Your point is well-taken but it's 20/set, as they rarely (ever?) do full 10-guild (or 10-tri color) cycles of lands.

Iirc last one was Kaldheim, and they made them common.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thranguy posted:

Iirc last one was Kaldheim, and they made them common.

Forgot all about the snow tap lands, was thinking more about rare duals. Though that does bring up that they did 6/10 pathways for Zendikar and the other 4 in Kaldheim.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Trioms are great lands and I am a little shocked it took them this long to make. I feel like a fetchable, cycle land just checks all the boxes for me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Trioms are great lands and I am a little shocked it took them this long to make. I feel like a fetchable, cycle land just checks all the boxes for me.

There were typed cycling duals in Amonkhet, too. I'm surprised that the triomes saw print because they're really strong and a huge step up from the uncommon trilands from khans/alara, but hey I'm def not complaining.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The arena economy is super easy to understand. Any given rare costs a little less than 1200 gems, the price for 6 packs to guarantee a wildcard. You have a tiny chance of opening the card you want in one of those 6 boosters, making your next rare free technically. As you fill out more playsets duplicate rares will give you 1/10th of a pack in gems so the price goes down a little bit more, but yeah, if you buy gems $99 at a time each rare, whether its jank or meta-defining is worth roughly $6 apiece

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

Wotc needs to reprint the Lairs in Brothers War and complete the cycle in Dominaria Reborn or whatever it's called

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Sickening posted:

We only have half the triomes too right? I wonder if we’ll see the friendly versions…

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I have been waiting with bated breath for my Bant, Esper, Grixis, and Jund tricycles. Give them to me now!!!

Naya would be fine too but I don't see myself ever playing taplands in a Naya deck

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you play to 4 wins a day, you get enough gold for 20 bot drafts each set, plus your winnings from those feed back in to more drafts. Even if you mostly end up 2-3, that's still more drafts than most people played in paper of each format. Drafts against other players are even better value if you get a few wins but there's a steeper reward cliff, you really really don't want to go 1-3 in them.

If you get baited into throwing your gold at the worthless cosmetics instead of the things that get you cards then yeah, your rate of card acquisition will be slower and you might have more need to spend money to get the cards you want. That's the entire reason they sell you the cosmetics.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But drafting is such a chore when I only have like twenty minutes after work before I have to go make dinner, but it looks like that's the only way not to pour money into this game and get a decent deck.

Also I just generally hate limited.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Also I just generally hate limited.
Mods!?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love limited but not for how much they charge vs how badly you can dud out at 3 or fewer wins. What's the term for a free version with drastically reduced or nonexistent prizes? Shadow? I'd like a like 500 gold practice draft that you can get a rare or two from and don't get to keep the stuff you draft, just to have a cheap draft option tbh

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I love limited but not for how much they charge vs how badly you can dud out at 3 or fewer wins. What's the term for a free version with drastically reduced or nonexistent prizes? Shadow? I'd like a like 500 gold practice draft that you can get a rare or two from and don't get to keep the stuff you draft, just to have a cheap draft option tbh

It's phantom draft, and the good news is that free phantom drafting Crimson Vow is the midweek magic this week.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

It's overpriced for sure, but I can tell myself it's cheaper than the lgs would be, not even factoring in the beer and tacos that would involve.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's overpriced for sure, but I can tell myself it's cheaper than the lgs would be, not even factoring in the beer and tacos that would involve.

Ok but the beer and tacos should be a mark in the LGS’s favor

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ok but the beer and tacos should be a mark in the LGS’s favor
yeah like my LGS I played at as a kid(RIP The Sylvan) was right next to one of my favorite pizza shops ever, being able to walk 30 feet and get a slice of chicken pizza then a soda at the mart next door was amazing

it also funded many, many booster packs for a poor kid such as me because I would do pizza + soda runs for tournaments, charging 5 bucks for a slice and a soda(when it cost me about a third of that). effort tax!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Silhouette posted:

Wotc needs to reprint the Lairs in Brothers War and complete the cycle in Dominaria Reborn or whatever it's called

Wotc needs to print the other 16 lands in the megacycle that Torment started with those 4.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wizards should reprint the original dual lands at common

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thranguy posted:

Wotc needs to print the other 16 lands in the megacycle that Torment started with those 4.

:hmmyes:

Finish the "tainted" cycle you cowards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

:hmmyes:

Finish the "tainted" cycle you cowards

It's already finished.
Tainted Field, Isle, Peak, Wood.
And Everglades. :getin:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Wizards shouldn’t reprint the ABUR duals, but they should send me some Alpha copies for my years-long loyalty to this game.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Really growing to hate the free pitch elementals, there should be a risk to tapping out lmao. Also elementals and ephemerate make for some rancid feels in certain games.

If anyone was looking for a cheap standard deck to dropkick best of one, here’s a good one.

(I was playing uw magecraft delver before VOW came out)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

Really growing to hate the free pitch elementals, there should be a risk to tapping out lmao. Also elementals and ephemerate make for some rancid feels in certain games.

It's a two for one almost every time I think they're fine (except fury, the only one that can be card advantage for free).
What i don't like is that their ability is a straight up ETB so that you can ephemerate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here for the quarterly update: How were/are the two Innistrad sets?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Rinkles posted:

Here for the quarterly update: How were/are the two Innistrad sets?
Good. Limited's great, Standard is mostly fine-ish aside from Alrund's

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MID is a fun draft environment that made Izzet Turns even more oppressive and consistent, and VOW is a bomb-heavy format that won't change the fact that alrunds epiphany needs a ban in standard

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I'm enjoying VOW limited a little more than MID even when I lose, it seems like there's a little more variety in viable archetypes besides gently caress You Blue/Black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Mezzanon posted:

Agreed. A local plays greifblade in modern almost exclusively and T1 greif/ephemerate, T2 stoneforge, T3 kaldra complete is a completely miserable play pattern. When it happens