Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it is better to be in some marginally worse climate spot where you know people, you know politics, and you know the landscape than in some place where you're a complete outsider.

like getting marginally better weather or having slightly fewer days with killer heat doesn't help you as much as have social networks you can rely on and street smarts to avoid social risks.

now sure, if you live in Miami or Phoenix, gtfo because that's not marginally worse, that's considerably worse.

but if you live in Merced or Dallas or Raleigh etc don't leave just for climate unless you have a social situation you can drop into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cold on a Cob posted:

wherever we end up gonna try to live on a hill
all tree cover around my house on a hill dies and i slowly bake to death in the great 2028 heatwave

living on a hill or a ridgeline is the absolute worst case scenario for wildfires, the firefighters don't even waste time trying to save those houses

I don't think fires are a huge problem in the pac nw but lots of humid places seem to be drying out and burning in recent years :shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXvG0SMP7tw

(and also, Madagascar was joke, don't go there)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Trabisnikof posted:

it is better to be in some marginally worse climate spot where you know people, you know politics, and you know the landscape than in some place where you're a complete outsider.

like getting marginally better weather or having slightly fewer days with killer heat doesn't help you as much as have social networks you can rely on and street smarts to avoid social risks.

now sure, if you live in Miami or Phoenix, gtfo because that's not marginally worse, that's considerably worse.

but if you live in Merced or Dallas or Raleigh etc don't leave just for climate unless you have a social situation you can drop into.

actually you can move anywhere

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tabletops posted:

actually you can move anywhere

when it comes to miami, not for long baby!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Y'all told me PNW is climate-safe while saying Miami is climate-unsafe. I'm moving to Miami.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think fires are a huge problem in the pac nw but lots of humid places seem to be drying out and burning in recent years :shrug:

LOL wut.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

we're honestly trying to figure out where we want to move to while we ride out the last 30* years or so of our lives because staying in the toronto suburbs seems like a bad idea

*optimistic i know

windsor is cheap and you can go to Detroit for big city stuff. it is also strategically located and will become the new Constantinople of the great lakes empire

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tectonic activity raises florida the perfect height to mitigate sea level rise while a new jet stream forms to give them a cooler, relatively temperate climate proving goons wrong yet again

Bitcoin millionaires laugh at the miserable on-fire PNW from their cool cool beach houses

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Y'all told me PNW is climate-safe while saying Miami is climate-unsafe. I'm moving to Miami.

as it turns out the only climate safe place on the planet is the distant past

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blatman posted:

as it turns out the only climate safe place on the planet is the distant past

There's a place I'd like to go somewhere out west. It's not specific, and the pictures show it best. I know there's trees, I know there's sand, I know there's grass.

I know it's somewhere in the past.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

for my climate safety plan, i will Vote

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Lost Time posted:

Related to emissions talk and dick measuring

https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1457647344292352009

tldr; shut the gently caress up, America. Lol
maoism third-worldism is the light

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dog Case posted:

Disposable plastic bags are banned, but that's ok if you use more plastic in each bag it's "reusable" and you can give away all of those you want!

i noticed this a couple days ago at the grocery store

all the plastic bags that are given out now are just....more plastic

for a while here in nyc there were paper bags everywhere, post the plastic bag ban in ~march 2020

now...ah, we have these

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at the idea that bag is reusable 125 times.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it's been a wild ride, but over yesterday evening and this morning, i've caught up on the last ~45 pages

thank you everyone, it's been fun

'lol' you might even say

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
something a bit personal, i quit my oil and gas job 8 months ago because I hated my managers and the industry. Wish I could say it was for purely ethical reasons but tbh if I had had good managers i probably would have stayed. In any case, i can say that i haven't applied to any new oil and gas jobs for entirely moral reasons. I've got an interview next week at a biosphere collapse adjacent department at a university doing more or less data science. Pls pray to Satan for me ty i would love to get paid to help bear witness to how unbelievably hosed we are

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
if i were a city cut off from the rest of the world by the ravages of climate change, i would simply move the entire city to a new and more resilient location

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao at the idea that bag is reusable 125 times.

Imagine how many microplastic particles it would shed over 125 trips to the store

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hey Thread, I've pretty much avoided reading thread for my mental health. Recently, however, I've embraced the crack-ping on this and have been reading regularly lol

Even though I know my actions as an individual won't really make an appreciable difference, I am curious about putting solar on my house. I figured I'd ask the thread if this is a net positive or if there are hidden issues that actually make it detrimental for the environment.

We seem to lose power a decent number of times a year and figure that will only get worse in the coming years. We are stuck with well water so I figure it's good to be able to keep water flowing when the grid is down.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Solar might be good anyway just because it means you'll be somewhat less dependent on the grid IMO. If I was a money haver I'd get some panels myself

Of course I'm just a dirt poor renter so all I can do is hoard about 100 pounds of lentils and a literal of iodine tincture

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm stocking up on Laudanum.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fireside Nut posted:

Hey Thread, I've pretty much avoided reading thread for my mental health. Recently, however, I've embraced the crack-ping on this and have been reading regularly lol

Even though I know my actions as an individual won't really make an appreciable difference, I am curious about putting solar on my house. I figured I'd ask the thread if this is a net positive or if there are hidden issues that actually make it detrimental for the environment.

We seem to lose power a decent number of times a year and figure that will only get worse in the coming years. We are stuck with well water so I figure it's good to be able to keep water flowing when the grid is down.

get solar panels if you want off-grid power. thats a good reason to have a solar panel.

don't concern yourself with the climate implications of it. there is nothing you can do so dont worry!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

don't concern yourself with the climate implications of it. there is nothing you can do so dont worry!

There's a ton every individual can do. And individual action informs societal action. Saying "there's nothing you can do" is just a way of making yourself feel better about being part of the problem.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fame Douglas posted:

There's a ton every individual can do. And individual action informs societal action. Saying "there's nothing you can do" is just a way of making yourself feel better about being part of the problem.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wtf who told you that? Nowhere in the USA is good to be for climate change. Move to a country with a low and relatively unarmed population. Could you imagine being stuck on a continent full of Americans when the world is falling part? Terrifying.

No place in the world is going to be safe from a collapsing and flailing US. Better really hope the US government holds it together to some degree or things get wild.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao okay i like this fake posting thing now. i like it more now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fireside Nut posted:

Check hard about if you actually can use solar as backup (“island”) because many utilities make it hard or impossible to do. Also I’ve heard that the most recent enphase microinverters can island without batteries, but other than that if you want backup power you need batteries which adds $$$.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thanks y'all! I'm going to see if the budget reconciliation bill in congress passes with any extra solar incentives and then move forward with something.

Rutibex posted:

lol Yeah, I understand. However, I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money only to make things worse. It's just not in my nature to do something without considering it's impact on the climate, even if I'm insignificant in the grand scheme. :)

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Trabisnikof posted:

Check hard about if you actually can use solar as backup (“island”) because many utilities make it hard or impossible to do. Also I’ve heard that the most recent enphase microinverters can island without batteries, but other than that if you want backup power you need batteries which adds $$$.

Yes, thank you. I had a battery backup included as part of the quote process. The price sucks, but it affords a great deal of independence from the grid.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What kinda pricing is that sort of setup? I never loooked into home solar because it seems so easy to steal, hoa probably.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Split the difference! I'm sure the dust bowls to come in Kansas and Nebraska won't be THAT bad.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Femur posted:

What kinda pricing is that sort of setup? I never loooked into home solar because it seems so easy to steal, hoa probably.

After federal and state incentives, I was quoted around 13k out the door for the solar panels and installation. Break even was about 12 years out and it was an estimated 5.6% return on investment over 20 years since I live in a state with net metering (where you can sell electricity back to the power company). I live in the Midwest, so in a sunnier part of the country with higher electricity prices your breakeven can be like 5-7 years in some cases.

But the battery backup is where it hurts. It was like 10k after incentives for a Tesla Powerwall 2. Oof. I'm in absolutely no way a Tesla fanboy, but I watched some videos on the Powerwall and I have to admit, it's pretty cool. But drat, that's some sticker shock.

Fireside Nut has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if i owned a home in the sticks i'd absolutely do what i could to make things slightly more resilient, like getting solar panels, cutting back the treeline, putting my house on stilts, making sure the stilts were fire resistant, building a giant fire and waterproof dome over my house, etc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paradoxish posted:

No place in the world is going to be safe from a collapsing and flailing US. Better really hope the US government holds it together to some degree or things get wild.

Oh god no. We'll open up our silos and start making demands

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Fireside Nut posted:

After federal and state incentives, I was quoted around 13k out the door for the solar panels and installation. Break even was about 12 years out and it was an estimated 5.6% return on investment over 20 years since I live in a state with net metering (where you can sell electricity back to the power company). I live in the Midwest, so in a sunnier part of the country with higher electricity prices your breakeven can be like 5-7 years in some cases.

But the battery backup is where it hurts. It was like 10k after incentives for a Tesla Powerwall 2. Oof. I'm in absolutely no way a Tesla fanboy, but I watched some videos on the Powerwall and I have to admit, it's pretty cool. But drat, that's some sticker shock.

homie, my people have embraced the latest generation of dc solar well pumps. I'd prioritize the gently caress outta that instead of batteries rn.

If you wanna be a dickbag, get a waterwheel going if you need AC, then worry about batteries.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Walked the dog around the neighborhood yesterday during the middle of the giant wind storm. Could hear trees cracking and falling every minute or so, perfectly normal stuff.

Couldn't get to the park to walk him around because this had traffic hosed for miles from all the people trying to get off the island to go somewhere that still had power. I think that's the second time this year that a truck nearly blew off the bridge?

https://twitter.com/m_l_e_gilbert/status/1460364995116498956?t=0-8i0vFN3ffaSv5dNj-N3Q&s=19

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Unless posted:

homie, my people have embraced the latest generation of dc solar well pumps. I'd prioritize the gently caress outta that instead of batteries rn.

Hey cool - thanks! I honestly didn't even know those existed. I have only had well water for a few years so this is still a bit new to me.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

My tax dollars at work - the city put together drone footage of the flooding set to somber music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgiRRat3Os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

*Billions of people uprooted globally, every global supply chain collapses*
Good thing my life won't be at all impacted here in the Great Lakes!

https://twitter.com/ryankatzrosene/status/1460648584811106305?s=20