Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

hooksocks posted:

Posting for the first time in like 10 years to repost this

you found it, nice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
Pour me one for the good ol' times

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

hooksocks posted:

Posting for the first time in like 10 years to repost this

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My coworker asked me what I was laughing about and, as they are also internet savvy, understood the sheer lunacy of what came out of my mouth.

At the end, they were like "man, are you OK? Sounds like a real bummer to process".

And I looked at them and was like "lol no dude, this guy made something fun but he was trash".

Then the cubicles stood up and applauded. I'll take my 6 hr lunch break now, thanks boss.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I made this after watching Chernobyl and for some reason still have it sitting on my computer. rip

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about posting on the internet, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Richard Kyanka and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about Something Awful's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Richard Kyanka. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Richard Kyanka is a suicider. He abandoned his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Richard Kyanka. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about posting on the internet and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Richard Kyanka as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the activity he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to posting on the internet without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw posting on the internet as a means to an end. He was in it for the mangosteen. He was dedicated to being the best poster on the internet he could be, and it showed in the forums.

I wanted to be an internet poster since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be an internet poster had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not mentally or charismatically talented enough to be a internet poster was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Richard Kyanka in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be an SA admin. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation internet poster. He wasn't mentally gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest internet posters in history. By 40 years-old.

Richard Kyanka was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like LLJK, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the forums, and that that same man could abandon his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way.

Richard Kyanka owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the posts goes on. Every week the posts are from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Richard Kyanka is dead. And he died a suicider. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Richard Kyanka was a suicider. And I don't know how to accept that.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
lowtax was a real piece of poo poo, but it's pretty hosed up we're mocking someone's suicide. as much as his abusive manipulation wouldn't warrant the death penalty, his suicide shouldn't be taken so flippantly either.
i know SA was founded on the principles of callousness, but as much as i've grown i'd hoped the community would as well.

RIP lowtax. your children will miss you. your ex-wives...probably not so much. i'm sorry you found yourself cornered, empty, and feeling like you were out of options.

give me that fuckin 6er.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Everything else aside, just owning a gun is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and it really ups the suicide rates of scared babies that need protection.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
PROTIP: don't kill yourself.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Self harm and sucicde.

I have my own story with these things but tbh, Lowtax's is enough.

To anyone who is at risk, who cannot cope, please:,listen to it, hear it and take it to heart. It is never to late too try turn your life around, there is always a way forward, get help, go to therapy, please please talk to someone.

For you Lowtax, you lived a troubled life, but the forums and SA gave me so much in ways I cannot explain.

As a thanks, I give the only epitaph I think is fitting: “There he goes. One of the Internets own prototypes. A high-powered poo poo-posting troll of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too early to trive, and too late to adapt.”

Rest in peace.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 16, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
This just seems like the right thing to do.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
cross post from the deer thread:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I'd love to have something in my rap sheet other than a well deserved probe from 16 years ago from when shithead chud me made a racist joke.

Edit:

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 16, 2021

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I guess this is the right thing to do now. We were here, we made a thing, the guy who kicked it off ain't around anymore. He had a lot of problems, and in the end he made some terrible choices, mistakes - both I guess. I guess we already showed that the show goes on without Lowtax, we kicked him out after all. I wonder where we're going, and why we're still here, sometimes. I wish the best for the people he hurt and leaves behind, and despite his problems and what he did I feel very sad that his story started how it did, went the way it went, and ended like this.

Probe me, I'm ready.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 16, 2021

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle
Life is crazy huh

Yellow Rhymer
Jun 17, 2003

This is the form my grief has taken

Parrot Doctor
Aug 28, 2004

Probe me hard

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Suicide is really sad, apart from the Hitler one. Feeling bad for his kids.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I got a pig av because I bought a funny pig painting at Goodwill and took a picture of it. Maybe that can be related to an unreasonably long probe somehow.

Admiral Explicit
Jul 17, 2007
brevity
WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

oh the one where lowtax is dead lol

Admiral Explicit
Jul 17, 2007
brevity

LRADIKAL posted:

Everything else aside, just owning a gun is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and it really ups the suicide rates of scared babies that need protection.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/

Guns are kind of a necessity in a rural area. If you don’t you should either not have them or lock them up and make sure a different person has the keys for the ammo. Unless you like supporting crime scene cleaning services anyway.

CosmoK
Aug 31, 2004
I'm Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!
Only something as monumental as the death of this rear end in a top hat could make me de-lurk after 17 long years.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Thanks for the forum and larger website tax man. It's a bummer you couldn't be better to those around you. I hope your family finds peace.

Use this photo I took of a post from the tribute thread for my probe if you would be so kind.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Rest in piss Lowtax :cheerdoge:

Probe me like I probe my life decisions every time I hit the post button, it's what he would have wanted

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Probe me up mod man

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sorry about your sad life Lowtax, RIP

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Admiral Explicit posted:

Guns are kind of a necessity in a rural area. If you don’t you should either not have them or lock them up and make sure a different person has the keys for the ammo. Unless you like supporting crime scene cleaning services anyway.

No they're not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

rip

surprise me with either loss or elder scrolls if I get to pick

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please probe me with hot dog Lowtax/Walter Sobchak.

spatial trait
Aug 7, 2009

probe 'em if you gottem

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have enough probes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lowtax? more like

i'll edit this later wtih a good pun

fake edit: eh gently caress it

real edit: poo poo, lowtax more like BLOWtax

rip

this pic because the web the norns weave is tricky and full of unexpected consequences

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 16, 2021

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Lowtax lied, then he died, and nobody cried

Reposting this because not enough eyes went on it, will exchange probe for views

DementedMax
Nov 30, 2005
I keeps tabs on my websites

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

PROTIP: don't kill yourself.

"Hey Darb!"

- David Miscavige

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Gimme dat Uwe Boll knockout sixxer.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 16, 2021

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
Rumors say Lowtax isn't really dead that he's just undercover now making some sort of music video with Elon musk directed by Metis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
One memorial prob please.