Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, but how would I go about getting into privacy law? Seems like a lot of jobs/growth in this field. CLEs and books? Networking? I feel like I'm relatively tech savy and have a decent resume, but I am over 40 and other than generic complex litigation experience have nothing to offer on the privacy front.

I'm gonna take the CIPP next gear. And I've touched on a lot of privacy contracts in tech. I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thanks, friend.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dealing with this job is exceptionally difficult and the stress drives many lawyers to substance abuse. On the balance you find a balance.

I wish I could find that old work life balance video with the talk about the lull from 8-10 every night at home where you can ignore your family and get some work done. One of the presenters in the video used the lowtax solution to find her balance. It has nothing to do with your post, but it's a great video. I personally stopped doing criminal defense because I have difficulty compartmentalizing lovely stuff like in your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSJUzYCGtc
The last person is the one who died, but can't find a source to say suicide vs overwork.

e: On balance, my being beaten keeps my life in balance.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 16, 2021

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Dear Phil,

I refer to the above post.

Thank you.

Regards,
nutri_void

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The key is not to try to find work life balance but to screen candidates for those who do not need work life balance and for those with innate low levels of anxiety. Coincidentally also the recipe for success as a surgeon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yuns posted:

The key is not to try to find work life balance but to screen candidates for those who do not need work life balance and for those with innate low levels of anxiety. Coincidentally also the recipe for success as a surgeon.

the issue is those with innate low levels of anxiety have less of a concern about telling you to stuff it, they're busy :v:

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Start peeping into windows. Know your enemy

lol

joat mon posted:

The last person is the one who died, but can't find a source to say suicide vs overwork.

this video is amazing. god drat the second guy can't even hold it together for the video

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the issue is those with innate low levels of anxiety have less of a concern about telling you to stuff it, they're busy :v:

It's a catch 22 and the only solution is to ditch the billable hour altogether*. Fixed fees are the future (and no they are not necessarily cheaper than billable hours, it's a question of the firm's and client's respective abilities to outline the scope of work with sufficient clarity to slap a price tag)

*will not work for practice areas like family law or non-white collar criminal law

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

holy poo poo lmao this is grim

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
hmm what will make law students want to work here? i know, three people on the verge of tears, each reciting in a monotone why they love going back to work at 7:15 pm after spending a luxurious 25 minutes reminding their children that they exist and that Mommy's personal trainer Juan Ricardo is just a friend, not their daddy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

hmm what will make law students want to work here? i know, three people on the verge of tears, each reciting in a monotone why they love going back to work at 7:15 pm after spending a luxurious 25 minutes reminding their children that they exist and that Mommy's personal trainer Juan Ricardo is just a friend, not their daddy

The last one is just so sad, like an automaton.

I’m away from my family all the time (processing…GOTO “work good”) but the work is fulfilling, it’s great work. (FIND big lawyer word) Conversely,

I like Charfoos

“It’s really nice to work at night”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like the first guy visibly convulsing at the end

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

None of these people are still at K&E by the way

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i recall when a K&E associate described herself as "not that busy this year" and then mentioned that she was on track for 2,600 hours

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

. There was really no way to know for certain who was telling the truth

Everyone is always lying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I genuinely don't understand what drives people to do biglaw over other kinds of law. I mean I guess money is nice but jesus christ.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I genuinely don't understand what drives people to do biglaw over other kinds of law. I mean I guess money is nice but jesus christ.

As I was fond of saying to my coworkers: “every lawyer here and every lawyer we deal with could have done something better with their life based on their grades and work product. Everyone here has made a conscious decision that money is more important than basically anything else.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

As I was fond of saying to my coworkers: “every lawyer here and every lawyer we deal with could have done something better with their life based on their grades and work product. Everyone here has made a conscious decision that money is more important than basically anything else.”

I guess I'm fortunate in that public defenders in my district have a pay equity law but still, I mean, prosecutors get paid perfectly well and it's relatively light work and probably better experience overall since as a prosecutor you might get to actually step into a courtroom instead of just doing five years of document review before they outsource your job to an AI or someone in India.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
If you're going to be miserable anyway you may as well be highly compensated.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I am no longer a biglaw partner by the way. I'm a general counsel now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess I'm fortunate in that public defenders in my district have a pay equity law but still, I mean, prosecutors get paid perfectly well and it's relatively light work and probably better experience overall since as a prosecutor you might get to actually step into a courtroom instead of just doing five years of document review before they outsource your job to an AI or someone in India.

biglaw you get to get paid a lot, which is a not-inconsiderable benefit. senior associates get paid in total ten times what i made out of college (which wasn't much). the difference in feeling stressed about money all the time vs. the only real stress being "try not to develop stupid spending habits" is a huge one. now granted, i had a lot more fun that first year out of college but its not biglaw that is why i am too old to do that poo poo anymore.

there is also very real differences between biglaw firms. k&e is an unbelievable shithole for associates to be at. it is to a biglaw firm what an average biglaw firm is to a normal job. my impression is they then get you a pretty good job after they work you to death and if you manage to make partner (real partner, not K&E's "congrats sixth year, we have updated your title on the website to partner. that is the only change" partner) you make poo poo-tons of money. but honestly i figure the people who have the connections with clients to make real partner at K&E have the ability to be the main rainmaker at another firm and make similar amounts of money.

but i might just be in a niche area of biglaw and kind of lucked out in biglaw firms. but my thought process was always that the pay at all these places are the same and i am far too arrogant to care about firm prestige, so why not pick what seems like the most comfortable work environment. what's the benefit to working 2,800 hours at K&E vs 2,000 elsewhere? it seems a lot of people do not think to do this calculation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yuns posted:

giev business

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

k&e is an unbelievable shithole for associates to be at.

K&E just moved into my town by setting up an associate farm. They were fairly up front that they were mostly looking to hire fifty to two-hundred associates to do thousands of hours of work for coastal partners for ten years, and claimed they'd pay them coastal rates for that work. It remains to be seen if they keep to that promise or our local office gets left behind the next time Cravath moves the scale. I think it was pretty obvious to the associates who left to go three that their partnership chances were basically zero, but K&E told them the normal lie of "we'd love to make partners here and develop a local practice, that's why we're also seeding the office with a half dozen partners who want to work with great people."

I think the biggest effects are going to be 1) a brain drain on the top local law school grads who tell themselves that they can tolerate that environment for a while, and 2) a glut of 5th to 10th year attorneys coming out of the associate farm with a very weird and stunted skill set, after they burn out or age out of the K&E system.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yuns posted:

BRB updating the spreadsheet.

evilweasel posted:

giev business

Also this.

not really I'm inhouse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arcturas posted:

K&E just moved into my town by setting up an associate farm. They were fairly up front that they were mostly looking to hire fifty to two-hundred associates to do thousands of hours of work for coastal partners for ten years, and claimed they'd pay them coastal rates for that work. It remains to be seen if they keep to that promise or our local office gets left behind the next time Cravath moves the scale. I think it was pretty obvious to the associates who left to go three that their partnership chances were basically zero, but K&E told them the normal lie of "we'd love to make partners here and develop a local practice, that's why we're also seeding the office with a half dozen partners who want to work with great people."

I think the biggest effects are going to be 1) a brain drain on the top local law school grads who tell themselves that they can tolerate that environment for a while, and 2) a glut of 5th to 10th year attorneys coming out of the associate farm with a very weird and stunted skill set, after they burn out or age out of the K&E system.

K&E is reportedly pretty good at seeding their senior associates/fake partners at clients to incentivize them to stick around at the grind (and to get those people to send work back to K&E), but i dunno how that's gonna work in the boonies

ulmont posted:

not really I'm inhouse.

you too, giev business

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

K&E is reportedly pretty good at seeding their senior associates/fake partners at clients to incentivize them to stick around at the grind (and to get those people to send work back to K&E), but i dunno how that's gonna work in the boonies

Absolutely, in a bigger market this is definitely the play. I'm just not sure it will work out here where the client base paying K&E's rates is much smaller and they're more likely going to be doing work for coastal/international clients, so the partners haven't had time to introduce them to clients & make them look nice and fancy for those in-house jobs. If they can successfully do it at local companies that'll be really good for them and really annoying for the rest of us.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
In law school I got a summer internship offer at a large corporate firm in Delaware that was paying $15k under NYC starting pay. The "lunch with associates" that they organized was one of the most dire and depressing groups of people I've ever met. I said no.

Yesterday was sentencing on a murder case I second-chaired. I graduated law school less than 5 years ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yuns posted:

Congrats! What are you doing with all your free time?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

joat mon posted:

"official cause of death was an enlarged heart with additional conditions being a placental abruption."

https://web.archive.org/web/20100920005626/http://www.anitaslove.com/about/

doesn't sound like a suicide or OD
enlarged heart could be from drug abuse those people dont tend to die in their sleep while pregnant so

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The last one is just so sad, like an automaton.

I’m away from my family all the time (processing…GOTO “work good”) but the work is fulfilling, it’s great work. (FIND big lawyer word) Conversely,

I like Charfoos

“It’s really nice to work at night”

I haven't seen sunlight in seven months and boy I tell you what, being sheltered from all that icky UV radiation has done wonders for my skin

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats! What are you doing with all your free time?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yuns posted:

look at this big baller

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

HE LIVES

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Rittenhouse got to pick the jury alternates out of a tumbler? I don’t think the optics are the best. Do they not have neutral third parties to do that in Wisconsin court rooms?

Torpor fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 16, 2021

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Torpor posted:

Rittenhouse got to pick the jury alternates out of a tumbler? I don’t think the optics are the best. Do they not have neutral third parties to do that in Wisconsin court rooms?

I am 100% sure they have at least a few clerks around. Hell, the Judge does it in my county. The Chudge is just "the worst."

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

joat mon posted:

tell me to run away screaming without saying to run away

Jesus Christ lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Torpor posted:

It's a good way to get kids involved in what's going around them. My kids love being chosen to be the 'special helper' for the day.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Torpor posted:

Apparently this judge always has the defendants pick.

Weird poo poo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Soothing Vapors posted:

holy poo poo lmao this is grim

It's much better in London https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8WbPFfw_o

"entrepreneurial" is a word that should send you running.

Arcturas posted:

The market for associates is extraordinarily hot right now so I expect they will in fact hire a ton of associates to do work at coastal rates (billing too). I would guess that as soon as the market is not hot they will stop providing market raises and these are the first folks who will be on the chopping block. Out of the 50-200 they hire they will make some partners but at a lower rate than elsewhere. I would be surprised if the market for associates remained this hot for 10 years but wtf do I know about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

With a market this hot, law school sounds like a great idea honestly.