Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Regarde Aduck posted:

i live in the UK and the stupidity of the 'average person' doesn't have a visible floor

so i guess it might be down to where you live

hawowanlawow posted:

let's not get carried away

im specifically talking about the people for whom "smart" is their primary personality trait, the kind of folks who get posted on r/iamverysmart. they have a distinct habit of posting a meme and saying "don't worry if you don't get this, not everyone is as smart as me" and it's some bullshit about tesselation that everybody learned in geometry in 8th grade.

also, i think people can do stupid things and not actually be stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stupid is as stupid does

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't wrap my brain around actively thinking yourself to be smart. Like, I'm lucky if I go a day without feeling like the dumbest motherfucker alive.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It's not that "smart" people underestimate "average" as much as they overestimate themselves.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Being intelligent enough to know you're loving up is a curse, because you'd gently caress up whether you were ignorant of that fact or not.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't wrap my brain around actively thinking yourself to be smart. Like, I'm lucky if I go a day without feeling like the dumbest motherfucker alive.

hell yeah lets be dumbasses forever

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
bimbo lyef

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My coworkers all think I'm a genius because I'm really good at problem solving, so whenever a situation arises I'm usually the first one to come up with a plan

Conversely I've hurt myself drinking pickle brine because a pickle nailed me in the eye, I've eaten multiple batteries just to see what would happen (nothing, lame), and my husband threatened to divorce me because I called Taylor swift "that lady from Cats"

This leads to me getting to complain that people keep interrupting my lunch break to fix their poo poo because they need "the pickle eye guy" to fix their stupid problems for them. I've managed to accidentally stumble into the surly dipshit miracle worker janitor archetype and honestly it rules I can say and do whatever I want and people find it charming

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Danaru posted:

This leads to me getting to complain that people keep interrupting my lunch break to fix their poo poo because they need "the pickle eye guy" to fix their stupid problems for them. I've managed to accidentally stumble into the surly dipshit miracle worker janitor archetype and honestly it rules I can say and do whatever I want and people find it charming
Spielberg is already preparing to direct the screenplay.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Danaru posted:

I've eaten multiple batteries just to see what would happen

:stonk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did you have like a sampling tray, working your way up from watch battery up to D?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Brawnfire posted:

Did you have like a sampling tray, working your way up from watch battery up to D?

Nah, I ate a watch battery when I was a dumb kid, a triple A as a bored teen, then another triple a like a year ago. Maybe it needs to be a 9 volt before it does anything

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cleretic posted:

The actual answer to that is actually the 'Let People Enjoy Things' comic, because it's frequently used to stomp all over legitimate criticism and discussion.
If you expand the criteria to non-comic memes I'll nominate "you mad", which grew to reinforce a South Park-esque state of performative disaffection about how you should never care about anything and being genuine or involved is always bad (and therefore only the status quo is good), and "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" which is basically just used to justify any amount of punishment or violence, up to and including murder, because they think you deserved it for being obnoxious or driving while black or something.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Danaru posted:

Nah, I ate a watch battery when I was a dumb kid, a triple A as a bored teen, then another triple a like a year ago. Maybe it needs to be a 9 volt before it does anything

:chloe:

the dumb kid and the teen i can understand

but i need a real explanation for the one a year ago

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Okay it was in a package of vienna sausages I'd opened, I was trying to eat around it but you know target fixation

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly all I remember is thinking "actually that was really loving stupid I shouldn't have done that" afterwards, then forgetting for a week until I realized I don't remember making GBS threads out a battery. I wasn't paying close attention though

E: VVVV not yet, waiting for the funniest possible time to drop that tidbit

Danaru has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Nov 16, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Danaru posted:

My coworkers all think I'm a genius

Do they know about the batteries?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How it started:
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1457692536714063875

How it's going:
https://twitter.com/RhiannonDauster/status/1460416254980861955

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Do they know about the batteries?

Please try to get alex jones' audience to eat batteries instead of brain foss plus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Not bothering to screencap because Yglesias doesn't delete his idiocy.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1460631944941785104

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1460633533056262150

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1460632208738295808?s=20

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1460424102204874758

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Danaru posted:

Your husband is probably gonna need this website: https://www.calicocut-pants.com/
just remember, you gotta give

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Danaru posted:

My coworkers all think I'm a genius because I'm really good at problem solving, so whenever a situation arises I'm usually the first one to come up with a plan

Conversely I've hurt myself drinking pickle brine because a pickle nailed me in the eye, I've eaten multiple batteries just to see what would happen (nothing, lame), and my husband threatened to divorce me because I called Taylor swift "that lady from Cats"

This is rad as hell. I would absolutely drink pickle brine with you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

:aaaaa:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OPAONI posted:

hell yeah lets be dumbasses forever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Whose the idiot? It's a parody article about, I assume, University of Austin, that clearly identifies it as a parody. This is also definitely Bari Weiss' view on both free speech and BDS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You didn't know the Virgin Mary regularly sat for portraits 14-16 hundred years after her death?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Getting into a debate with historical jesus people by believing in jesus but not history

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I heard somewhere the theory that most people assume they're slightly above average in intelligence. And honestly, that seems to explain a lot.

I think I don't quite believe in people being smarter than other people. There's so many ways of being smart. There's problem solving, or memory, or spatial reasoning, or emotional intelligence, or strong analytic skills. You might be naturally stronger at some of them and weaker at others, but they're all important ways of thinking.

Like, I have a head for trivia and can pick apart meaning in things, but I'm also constantly tripping over my own feet and if you ask me to make something halfway complicated in three dimensions it will be a disaster. I want to be able to do carpentry, but my brain just does not work that way. I have a very ugly wooden spoon that is testament to my willingness to try, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RoboRodent posted:

I heard somewhere the theory that most people assume they're slightly above average in intelligence. And honestly, that seems to explain a lot.

Unfortunately very few of us live in Lake Wobegon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have no idea where I am compared to the "average" person in terms of intelligence, but I've definitely met people dumber than me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Being like "I don't get being smart, I'm like the dumbest guy in town, a real bonehead" all the time isn't humility or honesty, it's depression

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People generally assume that their intelligence is closer to average than it is. That's largely (and possibly wholly) explained by regression toward the mean.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

Being like "I don't get being smart, I'm like the dumbest guy in town, a real bonehead" all the time isn't humility or honesty, it's depression

Don't get me wrong, I'm good at some things. Hell I recently got hired on the spot to do maintenance on planes which, if you don't know, like to plummet out of the sky or explode on the spot if you get complacent or don't know exactly what you're doing. I speak three languages fluently and more badly.

But I also go crosseyed at tenth-grade math and can't draw a cube. I can't comprehend feeling like you're just "smarter" than the average person. What the gently caress does "smart" even mean?

And I get the same thing from other people. "Woah, you speak french? You're so smart, I took four years and can't understand a word!" Yeah, I didn't try, I just have french parents. That doesn't just give me +5 to Language (french), it makes languages 3+ way easier because I have a reference point.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/labelbabyJr/status/1460327786908827649?s=20

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
"I'm the 2nd trombone in that band where the lead singer pissed on a guy on stage"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

"I'm the 2nd trombone in that band where the lead singer pissed on a guy on stage"

That's like half the bands I can think of you need to be more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hallo spacedog posted:

That's like half the bands I can think of you need to be more specific

I think they're talking about Brass Against (a cover band that got to open for Tool not too long ago).