Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

CainFortea posted:

You aren't seeing the slowly flashing grey areas?

No. I'm not near my Switch so I can't double check right now. I thought the flashes were only for hidden rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Waffle! posted:

No. I'm not near my Switch so I can't double check right now. I thought the flashes were only for hidden rooms.

I think it's a bit fuzzy on what constitutes a room. All I know is I was able to hunt down all the hidden things using the grey on the map and the area scanner power.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

The white flashing bits are hidden items. I think it tells you that in one of the loading screen hints, or maybe when you download a map for the first time? Either way the game explicitly tells you that. Also, hidden rooms almost always contain items anyway, so wouldn’t you want to check them out?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waffle! posted:

One of the game's first tutorials.

e:fb

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffle! posted:

On the contrary, hidden rooms are not indicated and have to be found by conspicuous blank spots on the map. Hidden items in rooms you've already entered are indicated by the flashing background.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Longing for the day games have a "this is where you are, what you were doing, and where you came from" feature
Pressing ZL* on the menu brings you to the list of events that have happened, including complete text logs of your conversations with Adam. So look at your last obtained powerup and then look on your map what that could open.

*or some such button, I don't remember

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

I really, really want to like this game, and in some ways I do like it. Unfortunately, I've just had to admit to myself the game is not designed for me.

I have a job. I have a partner. I make plans when I can in my evenings

This means that my experience playing Metroid Dread that last three times I've tried have been:

Opening the game, looking at the map, and thinking "what the gently caress was I doing? Where am I?"
Wandering around, vaugely in the direction of a door I'm pretty sure I haven't opened
Seeing nothing inside or a dead end or realising I can't get there
Looing at map. Looking and looking and looking at map
Realising I'm not having fun
Turning off Switch and not playing for three or four days

This has happened enough to me that I just don't think my life will permit me to enjoy it. Maybe if you have a weekend free, are a game reviewer who gets loads of time with it, or are a kid with a free schedule, it's a masterpiece. For me it is frustrating

Longing for the day games have a "this is where you are, what you were doing, and where you came from" feature

you can highlight different obstacles on the map to see every instance of that obstacle and also you can pull up a log of every noteworthy thing you’ve done to make progress in the game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

you mean back when Metroid didn't even give you a map and it respawned you at the start of the game each time you turned it off? :v:

i'm sorry that you're bummed out about it though, it definitely is not the best game (or genre, let's be real) for pick-up-and-play style gaming.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

i'm sorry that you're bummed out about it though, it definitely is not the best game (or genre, let's be real) for pick-up-and-play style gaming.

I mean one Metroid game did that quite well, and was considered the black sheep of the series for a long-rear end time as a result. :v:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if Samus will have a melee attack in Prime 4

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wonder if Samus will have a melee attack in Prime 4

gently caress it, do like that one Japan-only gamebook and give her a sword so she can duel not!Captain Harlock

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Chainsaw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
give metroid a gun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Good trigger discipline.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I find it amusing that Dread will likely be the definitive game of the year. It's a really good game, don't get me wrong, but the fact that it's the best game this year really speaks to how bad of a year it was.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

give metroid a gun

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Asterite34 posted:

gently caress it, do like that one Japan-only gamebook and give her a sword so she can duel not!Captain Harlock

Call it the NARPAS SWORD(0) and I’m on board.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-4xVa6TN-o

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Going through those categories, Dread is only in two: Game of the Year and Best Action/Adventure. Not Art Design, Music, Direction, etc. which some of the other GOTY games are up for. It's like Dread is there due to "intangibles."

If Dread wins, it really does say more about the lack of competition than the game itself. It's a good game, no doubt, but 9.0/10 is all it gets out of me. If that's enough to win this year, it was king of a weak field.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Calico Heart posted:

I really, really want to like this game, and in some ways I do like it. Unfortunately, I've just had to admit to myself the game is not designed for me.

I have a job. I have a partner. I make plans when I can in my evenings

This means that my experience playing Metroid Dread that last three times I've tried have been:

Opening the game, looking at the map, and thinking "what the gently caress was I doing? Where am I?"
Wandering around, vaugely in the direction of a door I'm pretty sure I haven't opened
Seeing nothing inside or a dead end or realising I can't get there
Looing at map. Looking and looking and looking at map
Realising I'm not having fun
Turning off Switch and not playing for three or four days

This has happened enough to me that I just don't think my life will permit me to enjoy it. Maybe if you have a weekend free, are a game reviewer who gets loads of time with it, or are a kid with a free schedule, it's a masterpiece. For me it is frustrating

The thing about 2d metroid's is that they are designed to be played in a single or maybe 2 sittings. These aren't 60hour epics with new game plus and poo poo. They are generally a pretty tight exploration game and all of them can be beaten in an afternoon even as an unskilled player. I agree taht they are not friendly for the 15minute pick up and put down for a week and then pick up again type of gaming. The save stations are so that if you die, you can get back to the boss and try again without having to fully restart. But if you don't "know" where to go, just restart when you get frustrated. The journey is actually the fun part of the games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welp, the Dread speedrunning community just took a big hit. Patch 1.03 just came out which gets rid of the EMMI door invincibility glitch which was vital for getting suitless runs and saved a ton of time.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The most interesting thing about the boundary break was something that didn't even need it tools. I had no idea the final-final boss was a mutated Kraid.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TaurusOxford posted:

Welp, the Dread speedrunning community just took a big hit. Patch 1.03 just came out which gets rid of the EMMI door invincibility glitch which was vital for getting suitless runs and saved a ton of time.

Sounds like it will be healthy for the community then. Once major glitches and boundry breaking become the norm, then very quickly the game just becomes a series of visual glitches until it becomes unrecognizable to anyone not fully invested.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sounds like it will be healthy for the community then. Once major glitches and boundry breaking become the norm, then very quickly the game just becomes a series of visual glitches until it becomes unrecognizable to anyone not fully invested.

Maybe, but it just invalidated a poo poo ton of effort to get the time down as low as it is, and now they have to re-route everything. Not to mention right now it's creating a ton of discussion on whether or not pre and post 1.03 patch categories should be implemented for people who are fortunate enough to have physical carts and can avoid patching their game.

Plus, the game already had No Major Glitches and Unrestricted categories, so it's not like runners were forced to use the glitches.

Edit:

Araxxor posted:

Not really? This wasn't done for the benefit of the speedrun community and was explicitly stated in the patch notes it has the potential to affect casual play too much to leave alone. And there are already a no major glitches categories for that kind of thing for speedruns.

It's also a weak excuse cause even if a casual player managed to get lucky enough to get that glitch on accident, they would probably lose it almost immediately since they were probably wanting to go into the EMMI door, which would remove the glitch.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 17, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Not really? This wasn't done for the benefit of the speedrun community and was explicitly stated in the patch notes it has the potential to affect casual play too much to leave alone. And there are already a no major glitches categories for that kind of thing for speedruns.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The game's been out for about a month now, at this point any glitches found will always have a high chance of getting patched out even if they don't touch a bunch of the other glitches. The invincibility one was super easy to execute, so I can see why they took it out this soon while leaving other hard-to-execute glitches alone. Heck, pseudo-wave is still in and I was expecting that one to get patched shortly it was found at launch.

Categories will probably settle down a few months from now when Nintendo doesn't figure it's worth putting out fix patches anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Glitchless runs have always been a thing. For a viewer, doing the game right is boring.

And don't speedrunners usually go version locked anyways?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ikanreed posted:

Glitchless runs have always been a thing. For a viewer, doing the game right is boring.

And don't speedrunners usually go version locked anyways?

The current argument from some of the bigger runners is to just suck it up and stick with current patch, since digital buyers would never be able to connect their Switch to the internet again in order to avoid any sleep mode updating which is inconvenient to say the least. You can't realistically just go the physical cartridge route cause that loses you approximately 4 minutes in load times. Plus, even if the community did decide to go pre-patch for the norm, that automatically fucks over any new players who have no way to update to that specific patch version unless they have a hacked switch.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 17, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

What? No. A huge draw of speed-running is seeing the game executed with a high-amount of skill and some luck. Super Mario Brothers and Super Metroid are super popular races at AGDQ for example. Neither of them is a glitch fest.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

What? No. A huge draw of speed-running is seeing the game executed with a high-amount of skill and some luck. Super Mario Brothers and Super Metroid are super popular races at AGDQ for example. Neither of them is a glitch fest.

They aren't always specifically glitch fests but Metroid games especially are not being done "right". NEStroid is all about glitching through the doors and walls to sequence break, a lot of the time Super Metroid is being played in reverse boss order or the more recent North Korea % which is not intended at all, the Player's Choice/Trilogy version of Metroid Prime isn't even considered for speedruns cause it got rid of all the sequence breaking/out of bounds tricks (same with Prime 2), and Samus Return's biggest trick involves glitching through the map.

and yes, all of this is present when the games show up in GDQ as this thumbnail alone demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXwqYxKkN0

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 17, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This is 100% my own preferences, but I don't find the prime games entertaining for speed running. They are awesome to play, but not interesting to watch. And thats if they aren't glitching, if they are doing out of bounds glitches my interest drops to basically zero. Like when they ran Doom 2016 at AGDQ and turned a game based around fighting demons into some kind of lovely looking platformer game where they killed almost zero demons. :/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

This is 100% my own preferences, but I don't find the prime games entertaining for speed running. They are awesome to play, but not interesting to watch. And thats if they aren't glitching, if they are doing out of bounds glitches my interest drops to basically zero. Like when they ran Doom 2016 at AGDQ and turned a game based around fighting demons into some kind of lovely looking platformer game where they killed almost zero demons. :/

That's fine. I'm not gonna knock your preferences (and i'll absolutely agree with you on Doom 2016), but doing all those glitches still require a high degree of skill. As much as you and others may prefer watching speedruns where the skill is directed towards playing the game the developer-intended way but highly optimized, there are plenty others who get a kick out of seeing just how much the runner can break the game entirely.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

it's almost like different people can enjoy different things about speedruns and it's a cool thing there are multiple different categories

this stupid rear end argument comes up every time there's a GDQ event and it's so tired

heavy use of glitches and going out of bounds and such also requires a huge amount of skill and investment and the idea that they're bad/not "real" speedruns/not entertaining just because you personally don't enjoy them is some real dumb poo poo, they're fun op

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 17, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
skill

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

I agree taht they are not friendly for the 15minute pick up and put down for a week and then pick up again type of gaming.

Just quoting these parts to say that this is the exact opposite opinion of mine RE metroidvanias. My Switch is essentially the ultimate dungeon crawler machine and Dread felt perfect to me. I can’t tell you how many times I popped down to play for 15-20 minutes and still felt like I’d made meaningful progress. Same with Hollow Knight, the ease and accessibility of being able to just play for little chunks here and there throughout the week allowed me to press forward when my work/sleep schedule didn’t give me more than an hour to myself for the last month.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speed runs can be fun to watch but when it's generally just going out of bounds to the end of the game or exploiting some memory thing to instantly win outside of the novelty of it they aren't very interesting to watch, imo

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
For what it's worth, my only (Normal 100%) playthrough of Dread was done over the course of a month with an in game time of 13 hours and an activity screen time of 20. So that's something like 45 minutes a day on average?

What helps with Switch games is I take a lot of screenshots to remind me of where I've been and where I need to revisit. Dread's map features were impressive in their own right but I basically didn't need them.

Granted, you have to have enough experience with exploratory platformers to know that, say, the landing-strip lights in Burenia are important and worth screenshotting for later.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Non-glitch speedruns are generally a demonstration of the same set of skills that the average player is expected to use to complete the game, and as a result are easy for those players to become invested in watching. Personally, I think the reason I'm not interested in glitch-heavy speedruns is because I would need to understand a lot of tech behind it, and if I'd put that much effort into a very specific subset of exploits, I'd probably be more entertained by just clipping through the void myself on my own time.

I don't know, I feel a combination of "to each their own, of course" and "but also probably nobody wants to see the Doom 2016 speedrun that's just clipping through walls for forty minutes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Glitch speedruns use the same set of skills just applied in weird ways. My only thought on the subject is, if you're using a bug to do something that is a tacit understanding then it's a buck and may or may not be fixed at any time. Being mad when someone gets fixed is silly