Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's good that China blocked 1 avenue for sexpats to come to their country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

any society that depends on high school grades as a literal life changing event like in China really ought to not ban essential services like tutoring, it’s insane theyd even consider banning it.

"The policy has introduced sweeping reforms to achieve two main goals: cutting the amount of homework and after-school tuition students receive. The government argues this is necessary to save the nation’s children from burnout, reduce inequality, and prevent parents feeling obliged to spend eye-watering sums on private classes. Official surveys suggest the policy has broad public support.

But the campaign is also causing massive disruption. On the eve of the clampdown, China’s tutoring sector was worth a staggering 2 trillion yuan and employed around 10 million people. Now, the industry is undergoing a messy and painful collapse — with ordinary families and workers the collateral damage."

I think the Chinese government is acutely aware of some of the flaws of their education system. From what I understand, the crackdown focused on for-profit companies who have the opportunity to restructure.

Besides, the rich families who have the thousands of dollars required to pay private tutoring services to eat up every waking hour their children spend outside of Actual School will surely be able to find black market alternatives.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's good that China blocked 1 avenue for sexpats to come to their country.

Also, this.

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Nov 16, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DiscountDildos posted:

"The policy has introduced sweeping reforms to achieve two main goals: cutting the amount of homework and after-school tuition students receive. The government argues this is necessary to save the nation’s children from burnout, reduce inequality, and prevent parents feeling obliged to spend eye-watering sums on private classes. Official surveys suggest the policy has broad public support.

But the campaign is also causing massive disruption. On the eve of the clampdown, China’s tutoring sector was worth a staggering 2 trillion yuan and employed around 10 million people. Now, the industry is undergoing a messy and painful collapse — with ordinary families and workers the collateral damage."

I think the Chinese government is acutely aware of some of the flaws of their education system. From what I understand, the crackdown focused on for-profit companies who have the opportunity to restructure.

Besides, the rich families who have the thousands of dollars required to pay private tutoring services to eat up every waking hour their children spend outside of Actual School will surely be able to find black market alternatives.

ah ok this makes sense thanks for the info

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m sorry what’s wrong with tutoring kids outside of school especially in countries where your grades will define your life it’s normal to do this

while the root cause is indeed social inequality and the competition for college spots that have a huge effect on your life, tutoring services massively exacerbate the problem and also magnify class divides.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
they also form lobbies against education reform, like in india

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m sorry what’s wrong with tutoring kids outside of school especially in countries where your grades will define your life it’s normal to do this

same reason tutored kids are mocked relentlessly in finnish schools as rich fannies

e: in finland high school graduation will quite literally decide most of your university admission chances

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mila kunis posted:

while the root cause is indeed social inequality and the competition for college spots that have a huge effect on your life, tutoring services massively exacerbate the problem and also magnify class divides.

that makes sense, I wonder how they’ll get around it without creating a giant black market.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving hell, if that home tutor of yours is such great rear end educator, why isnt he teaching in the public schools as is his assfucking duty? i dont begrudge educators for picking up extra work, but if youre not working a public school as a teacher, youre a parasite

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

lollontee posted:

loving hell, if that home tutor of yours is such great rear end educator, why isnt he teaching in the public schools as is his assfucking duty? i dont begrudge educators for picking up extra work, but if youre not working a public school as a teacher, youre a parasite

because in the third world they don’t make enough money to live decently, I found out at some point in my life that a teacher of mine worked a second shift at a supermarket when he was teaching me, poo poo sucks out there dude people need to get money to live as much as they can, tutoring is a great way for them to secure a second income.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al-Saqr posted:

because in the third world they don’t make enough money to live decently, I found out at some point in my life that a teacher of mine worked a second shift at a supermarket when he was teaching me, poo poo sucks out there dude people need to get money to live as much as they can, tutoring is a great way for them to secure a second income.

so youre saying they didnt offer him enough public school work

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not even the third world, in america if you're a teacher in the wrong state you will have to get a second job sometimes

teacher pay fluctuates wildly

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
china does offer education work, probably wanna snatch up every english teacher they can. things is, they dont want to compete with private tutoring school for a finite pool of techers when there is an infinite amount of work on offer. do i need to go on?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I've got some sympathy for young Chinese people who may have busted their asses to get good enough at English to make a career out of teaching it in China, only to see the rug potentially pulled out from under them.

But a lot of these tutoring services, at least the ones that tutor English, openly prefer foreigners. Americans, Brits and Australians in particular. An old high school friend of mine went over there with less than zero teaching experience and, last I heard, is getting paid like $40K usd/year plus a paid-for apartment in Shanghai(!) to spend around 20 hours a week singing Old Mcdonald with a bunch of Chinese 4-year Olds.

I can empathize with the policy based on the resentment for the sexpats alone.

https://twitter.com/JMartinTEFL/status/1459497744247267328?s=20

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Also wealthy people will get big advantages when they can afford fancy expensive tutors and everyone else can't.

Efb damnit.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiscountDildos posted:

I've got some sympathy for young Chinese people who may have busted their asses to get good enough at English to make a career out of teaching it in China, only to see the rug potentially pulled out from under them.

But a lot of these tutoring services, at least the ones that tutor English, openly prefer foreigners. Americans, Brits and Australians in particular. An old high school friend of mine went over there with less than zero teaching experience and, last I heard, is getting paid like $40K usd/year plus a paid-for apartment in Shanghai(!) to spend around 20 hours a week singing Old Mcdonald with a bunch of Chinese 4-year Olds.

I can empathize with the policy based on the resentment for the sexpats alone.

https://twitter.com/JMartinTEFL/status/1459497744247267328?s=20

didn't we have...somebody in the China threads that was a huge sexpat weirdo who GBS was in love with then kept revealing how actually hosed up he truly was??

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Who can afford tutors?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Yeah lol civil defense is one thing, but I don't see the creation of civilian militias for insurgency happening in any of the rich contented metropolises on either side of the strait.

https://twitter.com/niccijsmith/status/1460448162112368646
https://twitter.com/niccijsmith/status/1460451299451805696
https://twitter.com/niccijsmith/status/1460454280784007171

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DiscountDildos posted:

what rug? you mean that one hanging over that gigantic netting set labeled "public school teacher"?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean sexpats are definitely a thing but the article focuses entirely on the massive amount of actual Chinese people employed by these industries.

"Tutoring company staff also say they have been treated unfairly. At New Oriental, Xu Lingling says managers pushed her to sign a termination agreement quickly after her dismissal. She did as she was told, only to realize later she would be paid less than one-third of the compensation employees typically receive in China.

The training school has used various other tactics to get rid of staff cheaply, Xu says. Some tutors resigned after their wages were drastically cut. Managers also introduced stricter office rules that allowed them to fire employees for minor infractions — such as being late a handful of times a year — with minimal compensation.

Xu has joined a group of former colleagues to pressure the company to treat employees more fairly, but these efforts have proved futile so far. “The company has shut down the channels for any further conversations,” she says."

"Xu Lingling, the laid-off teacher, is just trying to focus on moving on. She has accepted her teaching days are numbered. A few weeks ago, her former employer New Oriental announced it would scrap its entire academic tutoring business targeting students under the 10th grade and cut another 40,000 staff — a sign of where things are headed."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A lot of people from Serbia (e: and ex-Yu in general) give online English lessons to people in East and Souteast Asian countries. (labor's cheap) A friend tried to convince me to try to do that for a living. I never took it up, but he added me to a bunch of online groups for people involved, so I ended up hearing a lot of relevant info from the "inside". (haven't kept up in quite a while though)

There's a serious divide between high pays and low pay tutors. I could probably talk forever about the specifics, but basically there's a lot of high earning racist libertarian antivaxer assholes who are almost as bad as their native English speaking equivalents (the high earning native speakers are... ooof, sexpat is nowhere near harsh enough of a term), while the lower paid ones are... pretty much just normal people. There was a horribly bungled law about taxing online work that they all opposed together in an organized way because it was basically a racket that put all the burden on those working, but once it was brought in line with other similar labor laws, with an income cutoff before it starts being taxed, lower income earners celebrated a victory, while the high income earners screamed betrayal.

There is some truth to Chinese, at least the ones who are being tutored or having their children tutored, being lovely towards Muslims, though. The bigots mostly keep it limited in how much they show it unless they're talking to a younger Muslim woman, at which point all hell breaks loose.

my dad has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Maximo Roboto posted:

Yeah lol civil defense is one thing, but I don't see the creation of civilian militias for insurgency happening in any of the rich contented metropolises on either side of the strait.

You to can go help Taiwan by getting on an airplane and showing up.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
i do wonder if the government is going to consider maybe hiring a bunch of the at least Chinese citizens teaching english at private companies to public schools

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

lollontee posted:

what rug? you mean that one hanging over that gigantic netting set labeled "public school teacher"?

Yeah. I mean, I don't know what the exact circumstances are that would lead a young Chinese person away from a public teaching job toward a career as a tutor at a company called "New Oriental" but I imagine at least some of the people who make that choice have a relatable reason for doing so.

Where I come from public school teacher isn't an adequately compensated/appreciated career. I hope that dynamic is different in China, but I can't take for granted that it is. Gov will need to work that out but, in the meantime, some people are gonna get hosed a bit.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hot witch divorcee posted:

i do wonder if the government is going to consider maybe hiring a bunch of the at least Chinese citizens teaching english at private companies to public schools

that... is why they want to close the private companies is what im saying. they want the competent teachers for the chinese public school system

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DiscountDildos posted:

Yeah. I mean, I don't know what the exact circumstances are that would lead a young Chinese person away from a public teaching job toward a career as a tutor at a company called "New Oriental" but I imagine at least some of the people who make that choice have a relatable reason for doing so.

Where I come from public school teacher isn't an adequately compensated/appreciated career. I hope that dynamic is different in China, but I can't take for granted that it is. Gov will need to work that out but, in the meantime, some people are gonna get hosed a bit.

yeah im sure the pay isnt great compared to what the private companies are offering, thats sort of the whole dynamic of the market here

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the issue at question is that theres a school on the tibetan plateau that hasnt had an english teach for the past 10 years, and the private companies are competing for a finite supply. ergo, gently caress them

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

You to can go help Taiwan by getting on an airplane and showing up.

The Sino-Taiwanese War is where the next Caro and Brown Moses will be born.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
lmao why should anyone be forced to learn english

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Throatwarbler posted:

cuz everyone else is

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bring back Esperanto

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DiscountDildos posted:

Speaking of aiweiewei

https://twitter.com/aiww/status/1460196411170082819?s=20

Pronouns and CRT is Cultural Revolution 2.0 lol

oh weird. anti-communists are right wing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

The Sino-Taiwanese War is where the next Caro and Brown Moses will be born.

Exactly. Just tell anyone you see who is deeply concerned about these foreign policy issues that they too can become brace belden.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

Moral is already terrible for taiwanese soldiers which is not really indicating that they'll succeed in a protracted guerilla war since you sort of need a force that survives on zeal alone for years.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The most likely scenario IMO is China just blockades the island, brings it officially under its jurisdiction as a kind of semi-autonomous island, then slowly integrates it over a few decades.

Even if Taiwan's army is dwarfed by China's, it's a naturally defensible fortress and an actual invasion would be a bloodbath just about no matter which way you strike it. The only way it becomes easy for China is if Taiwan gets to like First Gulf War Iraq levels of army cohesion and its military just crumbles the nanosecond it meets the enemy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Same reason the Assyrians made everyone learn Aramaic. Sometimes its easier to demand tribute in your opponent's language.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Exactly. Just tell anyone you see who is deeply concerned about these foreign policy issues that they too can become brace belden.

Let a thousand podcasts bloom

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Moral is already terrible for taiwanese soldiers which is not really indicating that they'll succeed in a protracted guerilla war since you sort of need a force that survives on zeal alone for years.

tbf it seems like the current focus is just civil defense

https://twitter.com/niccijsmith/status/1460463481329573891

and lol sounds like the U.S. is getting impatient with the ROC armed force leadership's incompetence

https://twitter.com/niccijsmith/status/1460455766393950212

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They're just going to fly in planeloads of Syrian Al Qaeda just like every other place.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The issue with the tutoring changes is that it really affects the middle class / petit boug more than anyone else, because the poor could never afford any of this anyway and the wealthy will just hire personal tutors instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

He has the suicide bomber mentality