Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

cheetah7071 posted:

If Rarity counted expansion packs as the same as the base game then ffxiv would just make the list every year anyways. Splitting it by expansion is just more informative

Pretty much. Shadowbringers is a hell of a lot better, story-wise, than Stormblood and it helps to be able to differentiate what someone is talking about when they say FFXIV is the best game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got into XIV after reading about it in goty thread 2019 so I wonder what I would've played for those 600 hours if the thread didn't exist

threads have consequences....your post could change a life

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
personally im waiting for final fantasy xv

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the perfect goon game is an anime-styled game about doing esports, that also has esports in it

forza horizon 5 checks all of these

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What makes a dlc a dlc and an expansion pack an expansion pack?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

I got into XIV after reading about it in goty thread 2019 so I wonder what I would've played for those 600 hours if the thread didn't exist

Your right, I shouldn't do a GOTY thread this year :hmmyes:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Originally Expansion pack was the name EA used for selling you extra game content separately before the internet was a thing and DLC could exist.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wish you could smash Tetris effect into other games and everything becomes a synesthesia rhythm power slam

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My GameSir X2 2021 arrived this week, and I've tested it out with my phone on which I play old ROMs. For Pokemon, with touch screen controls I always bump into things while running, and the D-pad or left analog stick is doing its job of preventing that. For Donkey Kong Country, you're supposed to hold down Y most of the time to run instead of walk, and press B while still holding it to jump, which is easier on a controller than a touchscreen. For Pac-Man, the analog stick is much more responsive than using the touchscreen or the D-pad, which makes sense, given that the game originally had a joystick. I was able to get to the third level much more quickly than I got to the second level without it.

The biggest issue I have with it is that the buttons, as one reviewer put it, "make a satisfying click", and it's not very loud, but I'm worried it'd bother people if I used it in in a waiting area or on the bus. The buttons are also a little small and might be bigger on the Razer Kishi. For whatever reason, it places the charging port on the left side, which I've heard causes an audio to come out opposite sides of the phone for some games. My phone isn't compatible with its purported pass-through charging feature, either. Both the Razer Kishi and GameSir have no headphone jack, so I'm using some Bluetooth earbuds that came with my phone, but they only have a battery life of 3 hours, compared to 2 days for my phone.

I could order the Razer Kishi from Wal-Mart so I can try it out within the GameSir's return window. I've heard that its D-pad is worse, but its buttons may be a little quieter.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

If Rarity counted expansion packs as the same as the base game then ffxiv would just make the list every year anyways. Splitting it by expansion is just more informative

you also shouldnt be allowed to post the same game multiple years

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

cheetah7071 posted:

anime makes it better

well i was trying to be diplomatic and bridge the gap but you went and done said the thing!! nicely done ya drat fool, now peace is impossible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

you also shouldnt be allowed to post the same game multiple years

What if you play it in multiple years huh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

What if you play it in multiple years huh

it should be games you played for the first time that year. we all get it. you all like ff14. post about otherh games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

it should be games you played for the first time that year. we all get it. you all like ff14. post about otherh games.

My 2020 list was half replays and continuing games. You cannot stop me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

To me an expansion pack is a substantial chunk of game. Like a full story campaign or something similar (Shivering Isles, Blood and Wine, Iceborne), whereas DLC is more like a mission pack or a short story (any Mass Effect add on).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you that hard up for RPGs in 2021 that Cyberpunk makes the cut?
the weakest genre in 2021 by far was RPGs.... otherwise it was a pretty great year. but some of the bigger titles in the RPG genre really disappointed.

- Fantasian pt 2 destroyed all the goodwill of the first half and was the worst game of the year, for me
- Tales of Arise is a mixed bag for Tales fans
- Bravely Default 2 sucked
- Scarlet Nexus was middling
- the trainwreck that was Dark Alliance
- Pathfinder apparently is hella buggy
- Biomutant was a big disappointment
- Astria Ascending wastes its gorgeous art on tedious game design

if you go a little deeper the genre wasn't THAT bad this year, it just wasn't full of standouts.

- SMTV is obviously reviewing very well and people are liking it so far, will probably be most people's RPG of the year
- I thought Echo Generation was actually pretty fun, though difficult in the early stretch and with a couple of baffling design decisions
- Dungeon Encounters wins my Play While Listening to Podcasts/Youtube Game of the Year
- Monster Hunter Stories 2 is often highly regarded by those that played it
- The amenities to Skyward Sword HD really do improve it, although locking stuff behind amiibos was dumb. we already had a tedious discussion on Zelda being an RPG or not, I'm just mentioning it regardless
- Undernauts is apparently good enough that even Barudak likes it
- Nier Replicant being a solid remaster
- RPG thread is high on Blue Reflection 2, and Labyrinth of Touhou 2
- If you want to stretch the definition of RPGs, people had some fun with Outriders (I'll probably be trying it soon myself) and I have Dodgeball Academia as my 5th best game of the year. The Ascent is not perfect but it is jaw droppingly beautiful and fun ENOUGH i would say.
- FF14 Endwalker is almost here

not enough people played Gamedec or CrisTales so I don't think I can put those in either column. probably will play them next year

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 16, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smt5 being in 2021 singlehandedly makes rpg the strongest genre of the year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Arise seemed to be one of those games critics adored though i didnt see much actual positive word of mouth, i'm surprised it wasn't on the general TGA GOTY list though

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Help Im Alive posted:

Or you could have become addicted to crack cocaine and DIED.

Your post could save a life!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That would've been huge for me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in 2022 I'm looking forward to Atelier Sophie 2, SacriFire, Elden Ring, Rune Factory 5, Crystal Project, Stranger of Paradise, Earthlock 2, Mario & Rabbids 2, Metal Slug Tactics, Trails From Zero, BOTW2, Death Trash, Dragon Quest Treasures, She Dreams Elsewhere, and Sports Story

I think it's gonna be a pretty solid year for JRPGs if nothing else

(not personally interested in Triangle Strategy but I'll mention it because people want it)

if we're really lucky we'll get Knuckle Sandwich

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
post whatever games you want in your goty even if it's the same 10 every year

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m afraid of life ruining addiction which is why I’ll never play an MMO. I don’t care how many GOTY lists it’s on I just think of spending 600 hours on it and get repelled.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm resistant to game addiction, which is why my xiv account has been parked at the very start of Heavensward for several months

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

cheetah7071 posted:

yes, the word you used to describe a grouping of characters who are assigned the race/class combo. I generalized a bit to include the other players since you seemed to want that to count

Oh, right, duh. I thought it was a new word that was like a grouping of atoms or nevermind

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

I guess i still have time to get a new Kenshi run in

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

only games old enough to have been heavily discounted should quality for goty imho

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rarity posted:

Need to weed out all the FF14 weebs though

Any excuse to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYUjJrGMjA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’s really hosed up when people put games on their GotY list that I haven’t played / can’t play / don’t want to play

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dont really know what will happen with most of the game awards but it's nice that Josef "gently caress the Oscars" Fares has come this far with his best game yet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I think it’s really hosed up when people put games on their GotY list that I haven’t played / can’t play / don’t want to play
would have been really funny, for my goty list to be nothing but playdate games. what could have been...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My first draft list (I am a Year Purist, games released other years are in a separate category)

01. Shin Megami Tensei V (pending)
02. Persona 5 Strikers
03. Final Fantasy VII Remake: INTERmission
04. UNBEATABLE [white label]
05. New Pokémon Snap
06. NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...
07. Metroid Dread
08. Outriders
09. Google Doodle Champion Island Games
10. "Deathloop"

i actually didnt know p5s was this year, for some reason i twigged it as being 2020. what a year for smt

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

The wrong thread was in our hearts all along

the real treasure was the wrong threads we posted in along the way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm doing the Crucible in Fable II and goddam the XP gains here are insane :stare: I'm having more fun with it now that I've got into a groove of picking out quests and fast travelling all over the map and the world opening up a bit helps out for this. I still don't think I rate it particularly high in the RPG panthenon but I'm enjoying myself and that's the important thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you that hard up for RPGs in 2021 that Cyberpunk makes the cut?

I feel like in ten years when a new batch of people discover Cyberpunk, without having straight huffed marketing for a year like a lot of disappointed weirdos did, they'll just have fun with some ancient RPG and wonder why nobody talks about it or when they do it's old angry people with a grudge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arzaac posted:

Maybe, just maybe....anime...good!?

Maybe not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I feel like in ten years when a new batch of people discover Cyberpunk, without having straight huffed marketing for a year like a lot of disappointed weirdos did, they'll just have fun with some ancient RPG and wonder why nobody talks about it or when they do it's old angry people with a grudge.

i did thhsi because i tried it out after watching no marketing and thinking it would be garbage and had fun. a good game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If they want to win gamers over they should bring back the big boxes with the thick manuals and the game on four CDs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who even has a CD drive in their pc these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I am going to be putting Persona 5: "The Royal" on my list for the second year in a row. Stux if you wanna fight DM me for my home address.

I'm playing Forza Horizon 5 a little on my $1 PC game pass and it (expectedly) rules. Need to play Halo and Psychonauts while I have the sub