Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Regy Rusty posted:

Do you want a challenging RPG whose emphasis is more on battle strategy and party planning rather than grinding and which can and will kick your rear end and force you to come back better prepared? Do you enjoy exploring complicated overworld maps, platforming for treasures and collectibles, and avoiding or fighting enemies on the field? And how do you feel about the prospect of murdering gods and demons and mythical figures from every major world culture and religion?

If you have positive responses to these questions then get SMTV, it's a great place to start with the series.

As someone who has never played SMT or Persona: this sounds loving dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is. I got into the series with IV and fell in love and have played a bunch of the others now, and honestly I think V is a way better entry point than IV was so if it's gonna be your first one you're in good shape.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I bounced off of IV a number of times before actually playing it and it seems like V is a little friendlier in the opening stages yeah

it also feels like it's trying to curry my favor by putting these cat demons v early in the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the nice thing about smt is that it's not grindy. well like, very few RPGs in modern times are truly grindy but in the sense that you can't just power grind and beat the game that way

also the mechanics are relatively simple which makes it much easier to treat the game mechanically and plan out tactics versus one of those RPGs with insanely complicated systems where you probably end up accidentally finding out a way to break the game by just loving around

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SMTV has a very specific kind of EXP curve where you get a ton of EXP for beating enemies that are a higher level than you, okay EXP for same-level enemies, and negligible EXP for enemies below your level. This means that when you get to a new area where you're getting your rear end kicked, you're gaining levels really quickly until it starts to even out, but at the same time, specifically grinding battles for EXP doesn't really reward you that much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also sidequests give a lot of experience versus non-boss battles, I only "grinded" once to get a specific fusion which I figured would be really useful for a particular boss (ty Pyro jack)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

SMTV has a very specific kind of EXP curve where you get a ton of EXP for beating enemies that are a higher level than you, okay EXP for same-level enemies, and negligible EXP for enemies below your level. This means that when you get to a new area where you're getting your rear end kicked, you're gaining levels really quickly until it starts to even out, but at the same time, specifically grinding battles for EXP doesn't really reward you that much.

Also if you have trouble with something you will get way more out of just fusing demons for that specific situation rather than trying to grind levels

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Playing the switch in handheld mode with the default joycons is causing me hand pain, especially in my right thumb. What are some good replacement joycons, particularly for any folks who have had a similar issue.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fr0id posted:

Playing the switch in handheld mode with the default joycons is causing me hand pain, especially in my right thumb. What are some good replacement joycons, particularly for any folks who have had a similar issue.

The usual suggestions are the Satisfye Grips (cheap shell that goes around the Joycons to make them more ergonomic) or Hori Split Pad Pro (actual replacement joycons that are closer to a standard controller cut in half)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While the Satisfye is not expensive, it's totally fit for purpose and not cheap in the sense of being poor quality

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I would even argue that the Satisfye has the most premium quality out of the bunch.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I will be sure to give a trip report once my new Satisfye grip arrives, but it seems they don't ship for a couple weeks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have both the Satisfye grip and the Split Pad Pro and I prefer the Split Pad personally. But they’re both good options.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Satisfye has the side benefit of keeping the full Joycon functionality too (the Split Pad is missing motion controls, HD rumble and NFC)

Speaking of which there's a version for the SWOLED now, I haven't seen it mentioned here

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/zengrip-pro-oled/products/zengrip-oled

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why does the New Satisfye only come in white or SpongeBob?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what's different between the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and the Pro 2? Looks like the Pro 2 has the extra back buttons and a profile switcher. But they're both $50 new??

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

the hori split pad pro makes the switch look insanely dumb and goofy and i love it lol

it looks like someone in the 90s sketched what the handheld of the future would look like

but in all seriousness the split pads are good I would recommend them so long as you don't care about no rumble

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

b_d posted:

what's different between the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and the Pro 2? Looks like the Pro 2 has the extra back buttons and a profile switcher. But they're both $50 new??

ones the expansion pack and the others the sequel. both ahve the same amount of content though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

b_d posted:

Those are the only differences, yes. The profile switch is more convenient than remembering to hold SELECT+Y or SELECT+X or depending on what device you're connecting to so get the 2.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

b_d posted:

having used both extensively: the pro 2 is a flat out better version of the pro+. idk why they're the same price but definitely go for the pro 2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

b_d posted:

Nothing wrong with the Pro+, but go for the Pro 2. It's slightly more refined. The back buttons, profile switcher, and a switch on the bottom to change what device you're connected to. Makes it really handy to go from Switch to PC to Phone or whatever. Plus it has its own exclusive software for remapping options.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center and they fixed that on the pro2

sorry you can't unsee that now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nothing wrong with the Pro+, but go for the Pro 2. It's slightly more refined. The back buttons, profile switcher, and a switch on the bottom to change what device you're connected to. Makes it really handy to go from Switch to PC to Phone or whatever. Plus it has its own exclusive software for remapping options.

look at that subtle switch on the bottom to change what device you're connected to. the slight refinement of it. oh my god, it even has a profile switcher.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a Bluetooth dongle on my PS1 and can use that switch to toggle between it and my Switch without having to fiddle around with button combos and resyncing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ah both the profile switcher AND the physical platform switch are only on the pro2. the only advantage of the pro+ i see is that it has the option for the concave+convex face buttons. but i can get tthat with the non-pro one that i'm also going to buy. :D thanks goon's edit: sorry, i'm not getting a non-pro, i'm buying a pro regular. the one with the analog sticks but no grips. thanks. i AM however getting an adaptoer to plug in actual snes controllers.

Stux posted:

look at that subtle switch on the bottom to change what device you're connected to. the slight refinement of it. oh my god, it even has a profile switcher.

lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's nice to see Stux happy for once.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Pro2 is great. I use it with my MiSTer and my hacked Switch and all I have to do is switch the profile and I'm good to go. It's great. Everyone should own it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

repiv posted:

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center and they fixed that on the pro2

sorry you can't unsee that now

drat you're right that's hosed up. cant believe 8bitdo made such a glaring error.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[looking at the pro+ wit h HUUUUGE button realignment googles on] gah

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is this new controller finally the one from 8bitdo that lets you wake the drat console from sleep mode?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are some words which are very pleasant to say out loud and "8bitdo" is whatever the opposite of that is.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

drat baby show me what that 8 bit do

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kirios posted:

Is this new controller finally the one from 8bitdo that lets you wake the drat console from sleep mode?

No. I don't think any third party controller not licensed by Nintendo can.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some words which are very pleasant to say out loud and "8bitdo" is whatever the opposite of that is.

They claim it's pronounced "8bitdoo" but that's totally a cover so they don't get sued, it's so intended to have been "8bitdoh" and I won't say it any other way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the united states is bad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the T is silent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isf8T7XnhzA&t=85s

Detective No. 27 posted:

No. I don't think any third party controller not licensed by Nintendo can.

8bitdo is making licensed Xbox controllers now so maybe they will finally partner with Nintendo

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

It bothers me greatly that most other games do not do this.

I get into some fight that I'm too stubborn to significantly backtrack on, spend like an hour finally bulling through it, and ta-da? Less rewards than a few minutes on nearby auto-attack trash mobs.

Definitely gone from a We'll See to a Get It As Is Convenient.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the game also throws enough exp at you to keep you on pace so you never need to grind, because the answer to boss fights is never raw levels and stats, its what demons youre using, your approach, items you have available etc.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I was playing Skyrim on my OLED last night and the connect joy con screen popped up. I couldn’t get the Switch to recognize the right one in game but it would let me go home and the controller worked on the Home Screen. When I went to change controller order there was a question mark over the right joy con icon and it was greyed out like it wasn’t connected. Same thing happened after a reboot but a second reboot seemed to fix it. Anyone heard of similar issues? Hopefully if anything is failing it’s these garbage white joy cons, not the Switch. Also, it’s a strong possibility that Skyrim was just doing Skyrim and loving things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Dicey dungeons is 75% off. I think people in this thread indicated it's fun? If you're using dice, it sounds like it's really RNG heavy