Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike. They were games about being a timid knight in a big clunky suit of armor and cowering in your booties but eventually winning via cowardice and patience, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

Tbh there isn't a single thing I agree with in this post. Imo Dark Souls 3 rivals Bloodborne for best game Fromsoft has made and fundematally gets everything I like about Souls and utilizes it better than any of the other games. First off , the game looks amazing. Not just from a graphical standpoint, but I feel like the art style Souls was always shooting for was always held back a bit by being noticeably budget and a bit inconsistent. Bloodborne was their first truly great looking game imo. And Dark Souls 3 is very much a post Bloodborne Souls game. It looks incredible imo. The environmental design, the enemies, NPCs...all of it looks awesome so imo that's already a huge plus.

Then there is the combat which hits like a truck and ramps up the pace considerably. I don't know if I could have had it any other way after Bloodborne. It's exactly what I wanted and I find it so much more satisfying to play than the old games, it actually takes a while for me to get used to playing DS2/2 and enjoy them now because I prefer the feel of the combat in DS3 so much.

There is also the level design which I think is in top form. Not that it's a huge outlier here they all have good level design. I couldn't care less about sequence breaking but the moment to moment exploration is my bread and butter, and it's great in DS3.

The last thing is that people like to rip on it for is "reusing' ideas which is one of my favorite things about it. I don't think it's reusing as much as reimagining stuff. The only thing it actually resuses is Anor Londo, which is still mostly redesigned and a cool nod to the series. Everything else that is nostalgic is a completely new area that is a subtle callback to previous areas in games they have made. There's nothing lazy about it and each area is cool and has a lot of effort put into it. It's the type of thing that people have praised in other games but some DS fans act like it's a negative.

I'll be honest I can't even comprehend how some people think DS3 is bad. I am just happy Fromsoft is catering to me and not them lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's so interesting how even among big fans of the series opinions vary wildly on which is the best/which sucks.

I played bloodborne first, then ds1, then 2 and I haven't started 3 yet. I'm pretty sure ds1 was my fave.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

chglcu posted:

I liked it, and it’s the only souls-like I’ve actually managed to finish before getting bored, but this is still crazy talk.

nah theyre right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne is my favorite, followed by Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls 1. I still really like DS2 and 3 but where I'd rank them in comparison to each other I really don't know. And while I can recognize some of the commonalities Sekiro has with the Soulsborne games, it feels different enough to me that I don't really compare it to the others.

Couldn't even tell you why I love Demon's Souls so much. I played it right after I first played Dark Souls and was surprised that I liked it even more. Booting up Demon's Souls and chilling in Boletaria feels like coming home.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I’ve played through DS1, 2, and have just started 3. So far I liked 2 the best, mostly for the environments, though the combat in 3 has been really good so far. Maybe…. they’re all good?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's so interesting how even among big fans of the series opinions vary wildly on which is the best/which sucks.

I played bloodborne first, then ds1, then 2 and I haven't started 3 yet. I'm pretty sure ds1 was my fave.

It's because they all do different things better/worse than the others. Which ever entry someone says is "best" is just a shorthand for which aspect of the series they like best.

Dark Souls 1: This person really likes the series cool/weird world design and sense of mystery.

Dark Souls 2: This person really likes playing with a wide variety of character builds/equipment/styles and the online stuff besides basic coop.

Bloodborne: This person really likes a more finely tuned single player experience with fewer build options but a much tighter level design and bosses.

Dark Souls 3: This person's first game in the series was Dark Souls 3.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Unpopular video game opinion: Dark Souls is an infectious disease, and manifests itself in the victim as terminal frothing and ceaseless online posting on the same topic.

Possibly unpopular video game opinion: Blasphemous was thematically excellent, but a poor platformer/metroidvania.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Demon's Souls was the most I ever enjoyed a Souls game but only with the context that it was the only one at the time. Dark Souls 3 is more of my "if you could only bring one to a desert island" scenario game.

Also I think people just wanted to be more critical of DS3 out of the gate. When it was announced a bunch of people were like "oh great I guess Souls is yearly now. I'va had enough" which was wild to me, but whatever. I felt like so many goons just wanted to dislike it before it was even released.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All the Dark Souls games are good but people are overly crazy about Bloodborne, it's great but it's not some major accomplishment over Dark Souls 2 or anything

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sorry but there is no better souls than dark souls when it first came out and the memes spiked the gently caress up

After that it languished until the re-master of Dark Souls 1

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Serephina posted:

Possibly unpopular video game opinion: Blasphemous was thematically excellent, but a poor platformer/metroidvania.

Unfortunate, but true. One of the best looking Catholicpunk games out there, but just not fun at all to play

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All the Dark Souls games are good but people are overly crazy about Bloodborne, it's great but it's not some major accomplishment over Dark Souls 2 or anything

Bloodborne is probably in my top 3 games of all time, but I still think people get a little carried away with themselves when talking about it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

The best Dark Souls game is Jedi: Fallen Order.

Fallen Order was aggressively mediocre.

It was fun enough and the Sekiro-ish combat was fun and suitably challenging but I have absolutely zero desire to replay it. Probably it's the Uncharted influence where a large chunk of the game is just flashy linear set pieces that you ski and QTE through. Also apart from the odd Estus Shard equivalent there's just absolutely zero reason to go out of your way to explore. You get a ... new poncho! Or new lightsaber hilt! wow. If they were going for a Fashion Souls type thing then it didn't really work out.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Bloodborne has some of the weakest level design of all the Fromsoft games. A lot of the areas in Bloodborne start looking kind of samey once night falls, with the exception of the crazy nightmare levels at the end. The forest is very dull in particular. Everything up to nightfall is great though.

Sekiro has the same problem. Ashina Outskirts and Castle are great, as is the memory. However, once you beat Gonichumi, there are a lot of uninspired areas I don't really like with some exceptions (the temple and the water palace).

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Path of Neo was the best vampire game ever made. Infinite Focus. Melee only. Wish the last boss was a bit more engaging than dodge dodge hold x to win, pit fight before that was more fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Relevant Tangent posted:

VR rules and is the future of games. Nobody can afford it yet though.

VR is cool but just like I rarely want to haul my wheel and pedal stand out to play racing games a lot of the time I don't want to put on some big helmet and hand things, restricting my beer and weed intake and necessitating that I stand up.

Lying back in the couch with a controller in hand is the most relaxing and generally I play games to relax rather than as an active hobby in itself.

chglcu posted:

Ah, yeah, the situation where I am in Texas is a bit different. The are multiple public courses in my area where you can play for <$40 a round with no membership required.

Disc golf is the superior golf. Done in nearly unchanged nature, 100% free, basically a hike through a forest/mountain/field with a game attached. You can drink and smoke weed if you want and just have a great time with friends. Not a massive waste of land, water or other resources either and not exclusively for rich pieces of poo poo.

PGA Tour 2k21 is great though, I really like that game.

Serephina posted:

Unpopular video game opinion: Dark Souls is an infectious disease, and manifests itself in the victim as terminal frothing and ceaseless online posting on the same topic.

Nah it was great at both of those things, although it did put its own spin on them. Lots of interesting traversal mechanisms and fantastic areas. Great combat too, way deeper than most metroidvanias.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I wish Bloodborne and Demon Souls was available on PC :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pro starcraft loser posted:

I wish Bloodborne and Demon Souls was available on PC :(

Demons emulates well on rcps3

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
MGS4 is the best Metal Gear Solid game: Amazing boss battles that are huge and cinematic while also leaving much to work with to dodge and hide; multiple no lethal options; perfect controls; a ridiculous sprawling story that's over-ambitious and gets lost up its own rear end; great stealth action environments. They're all great of course, but 4 gets everything right

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Doctor J Off posted:

MGS4 is the best Metal Gear Solid game: Amazing boss battles that are huge and cinematic while also leaving much to work with to dodge and hide; multiple no lethal options; perfect controls; a ridiculous sprawling story that's over-ambitious and gets lost up its own rear end; great stealth action environments. They're all great of course, but 4 gets everything right

Hideo came up with the ultimate boss battle: resist cuddles from crazy waifu

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

X JAKK posted:

Hideo came up with the ultimate boss battle: resist cuddles from crazy waifu

Oops yeah I forgot about those. Those phase 2 boss battles were unnecessary and weird and creepy. So I guess that's another reason it's the quintessential MGS: has distinct sections of game that add nothing whatsoever and make you say "what the gently caress, Kojima"

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
mgs4 was the first big wakeup call for me that entertainment media is vapid and will ultimately disappoint you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mescal posted:

The influence of dark souls seems totally out of proportion to its sales. just looking at the conversation online, one would assume that it's in the top five most popular games series. But the entire series of souls games has sold about the same as a single call of duty. what other games have outsized influence like that? these are the games i want to play. the ones that could have been another in a flood, but people really remember it, it had an impact on them, they have strong opinions on it, they may only have played one game but they can't help but talk about it for years and years.

System Shock comes to mind as a game that had huge influence but didn't achieve COD levels of financial success. I think it's about how well a game defines its genre, then genres vary in popularity from there.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

Probably, like, a lot???

I mean very few games sell like CoD but are still talked about for a long time or influence genres. Just off the top of my head there is stuff like Nier: Automata, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, the new XCOMs, Rimworld. These games all have made big impressions and get talked about still and don't even come close to CoD in sales.

I think it also helps most of these games either do something unique or something much better than any alternatives, whereas Call of Duty is the same poo poo every year.

Stardew and Rimworld have been monstrous in sales, haven't they? I'm pretty sure stardew has outsold any one entry in the souls series. The others I hear people recommend them, but I don't hear them discuss them in the same way they do Disco Elysium, or like... that car football game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rimworld sells gangbusters, yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mescal posted:

Stardew and Rimworld have been monstrous in sales, haven't they? I'm pretty sure stardew has outsold any one entry in the souls series. The others I hear people recommend them, but I don't hear them discuss them in the same way they do Disco Elysium, or like... that car football game.

Yeah but they're saying that it doesn't make sense to compare these games to COD by sales numbers alone. Rimworld has sold several million copies since its release, which is a lot; COD sells 30M copies per year

And in terms of sales Dark Souls is closer to a COD release than to Rimworld

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 16, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Metroid notoriously doesn't sell well and is arguably one of the most influential games of all time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Video games and what makes them fun is incredibly subjective and I won't judge anyone for liking Dark Souls 3 but someone on this page was praising its art direction and that is incredibly wrong and very upsetting to me.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3", if you squint really hard you can see at least 4 different colors

Almost everything in the game is some shade of yellow or orange. Everything that is any other color is blue, and also incredibly desaturated and dulled out.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3 bosses":

Almost every single one of them is indistinguishable at thumbnail size. They are all vaguely humanoid, wearing vaguely similar armor in similar colors, carrying large weapons. They all follow the exact same palette logic: bright yellows/oranges, dull blues, lots of greys. Almost every boss has long flowing white hair.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3 environments"

Are you surprised yet that every single one of them is yellow, orange, and blue? Are you surprised that, despite being screenshots from scattered areas around the entire game, every single one looks like the exact same environment?

See the screenshot at the bottom with bright green effects? Yeah, that's from a mod. If it's not blue or yellow, it's not a Dark Souls 3 art asset.

Well it's at least got some cool enemies, right?

Haha no, and I'm sure you're not surprised - every single one of them is a tall, skinny humanoid in yellow or blue armor. In this entire field of screenshots the only one whose profile stands out at a glance is... the one with angel wings, which is from a mod.

Now compare it all to the same searches for Dark Souls 2. Here's Dark Souls 2 environments:

Oh, look at that! Different environments have different color palettes. There are greens and pinks and purples and reds. Despite all of the environments featuring ruins, they each have a different aesthetic and ambiance and they stand apart. Everything looks fantastical. They have different lighting and moods.

Or Dark Souls 2 bosses:

Sheesh, there's hardly a humanoid among them! They all look different, they have different sizes and silhouettes. Different colors make appearances and they each have their own mood.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 16, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Judging videogame character design via the medium of GIS thumbnails and naming colors is next level ngl.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Criticizing a thing's art direction by amalgamating several still images into a composite in order to compare color palette usage is in fact very normal and not "next level" at all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Next up: Book review from the guy who was looking at you reading it in a bus on your commute to work that one day.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The best Persona game is Catherine.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3", if you squint really hard you can see at least 4 different colors

I too judge video games by GIS.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

John Murdoch posted:

I kind of wish I could smush The Surge 1 and 2 together into one game, because I feel like neither quite got it right. Like 2 definitely has more refined combat and less insane swingy damage problems, but it falters in lot of other places.

The ng+ difference between them makes for an interesting contrast tho.

2's mechanic where picking up an implant that you already have gives you scrap instead of getting a duplicate is part of a game where there's been more consideration paid to overall balance but still rewards you by letting you level earlier and therefore start mounting a greater number of/more powerful implants than you already have.

Surge 1 however lets you completely break the combat system over your knee on multiple playthroughs. By picking up multiple copies of implants that are powerful enough to be unique to a single run you can get to the point where you're completely filling up your energy bar on each strike and then spamming stacked high level damage boosts like some sort of techno-berserker.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

They're not wrong that Dark Souls 2's environments, colour scheme and boss variety > 3 though

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Video games and what makes them fun is incredibly subjective and I won't judge anyone for liking Dark Souls 3 but someone on this page was praising its art direction and that is incredibly wrong and very upsetting to me.

have you played darksouls?

edit: i see that you claim to have played them extensively, but seriously? am I understanding you correctly in that you are unhappy with the "art direction" of the game or at least people praising the art direction?

aceface fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 17, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

Judging videogame character design via the medium of GIS thumbnails and naming colors is next level ngl.

:emptyquote:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Viewing Dark Souls 2 in tiny windows with no animation does give it a huge advantage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also "there's not a lot of colors" is such a corny criticism as some sort of "gotcha" thing about art direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
When I played Dark Souls I thought it was an unremarkable, slightly janky 3rd person brawler, I got bored by the time I had to slowly kill a big moth and I stopped playing it. I have never understood how it has become such a Skub.