Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That entry is really sad. The little bio says she dreamed of being an actress. And that was the only acting credit she ever achieved. Then she died. And now the Internet has immortalised her life in imdb in those facts. Imagine leaving that legacy.

apparently she did a lot of theatre tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what's the 10-20 year outlook for Seattle

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love gambling!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fame Douglas posted:

There's a ton every individual can do. And individual action informs societal action. Saying "there's nothing you can do" is just a way of making yourself feel better about being part of the problem.

andreas malm posting hours, who's up

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

actionjackson posted:

All I'll say is I'm glad I can't afford a house

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Koirhor posted:

How’s Winnipeg doing these days?

ooh, I know this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrEex4mU1n4

Venomous has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Nov 16, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Crap

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

It's cool if the climate doesn't get us with something wacky you've still got volcanoes and the subduction zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq-C4qQAyw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RIP Syndrome posted:

Quoting to use when the projections of 2030 only run to 2050

I'm curious how you think that will help you live to 2101

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

come to philadelphia, apparently we're only gonna the have current climate of nashville in 10 5 years so things don't look that bad yet

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/BradfordPearson/status/1433566347775066114

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm curious how you think that will help you live to 2101

Separate issue. I just renewed my commitment to the "moderate" model that negates 60% of my aging towards the end of the century, using technology

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Aren't flood waters some of the most disgusting possible waters to come into contact with?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

the real problem is greta thunberg has been elevated to importance by the system that serves the very people she wishes to criticize. this is not accidental.

meanwhile, other climate activists continue to be ignored, imprisoned, and murdered

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Aren't flood waters some of the most disgusting possible waters to come into contact with?

Avoid standing, swimming, or otherwise being in floodwaters so much as is possible. It's remarkably filthy and the chances you contract a hosed up illness are fairly high. Floodwaters contain sewage, among other things, which will gently caress you up. You'll get Oregon Trail flashbacks as you die of dysentery. Beyond that it's also impossible to know what debris may be in the waters so you could suffer traumatic injury and odds aren't that low either.

Stay out of floodwaters!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Yes. That man was enthusiastic about swimming in hepatitis, c.diff, and e.coli soup. The slightest abrasion or cut, either suffered from cutting yourself while in the floorwater or having a wound that could become compromised because it washes away the scab, and you've got an infection they'll have to break out "the good stuff" for at the hospital.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Nov 16, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Doing a hella sweet backflip off a highway overpass only to break my rear end on a submerged penske truck full of trash someone was going to throw in the river anyway

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.tiktok.com/@kurtbrown3386/video/7031229921104088326

Yeah, highway not coming back till next summer. Maybe. :stonk:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
not to mention an outside chance at chemical burns or toxic chemicals floating in the water

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the nearby schuylkill river has had the distinction of being "one of the dirtiest rivers in the country" and i see people swimming in that all the time. the new vine street expressway river is probably only marginally worse, presence of penske trucks notwithstanding

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Tabletops posted:

condoms are rubber dawg

oh, i guess i was wrong

some condoms are plastic, not all tho

:shrug:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

the nearby schuylkill river has had the distinction of being "one of the dirtiest rivers in the country" and i see people swimming in that all the time. the new vine street expressway river is probably only marginally worse, presence of penske trucks notwithstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIO3jo_wf4

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Rime posted:

I'm sure they can patch that back together in a week or two!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Rime posted:

this sort of thing is going to start happening in america soon

i'm surprised that there haven't been more bridges collapsing from neglect

sometimes when i'm on one of those big winding overpasses i secretly lol and lmao to myself that any moment it all could come crashing down

oh definitely

i don't know much about floods, but i'd imagine it's super easy to get electrocuted and die from them in addition to all of the random toxic literal and figurative poo poo floating around in it

Alobar has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Nov 16, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

move up on a hill in any big city and pray to get nuked imo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Marenghi posted:

I just realised I never heard her speech in full.

The media really covered the "how dare you" part but the rest was conspicuously underreported. No wonder why given what she said.

It's funny how quiet the room gets when she really starts firing up

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

Good thing my life won't be at all impacted here in the Great Lakes!

Don't worry, all local governments are working very hard to kill everything in the region! So once our plenitude of links to the rest of the world break down, we will be able to farm the construction industry's mcmansions. Things are on track to destroy all of Ontario's farmland while we can still buy food from abroad -- so it's fine! There are plenty of Indigenous reserves to steal once we need local farmland again.

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Nov 16, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Neurotoxins in the environment are damaging human brain health, and fires and floods may make the problem worse.

The author is emeritus professor of Medicine at Drexel University and a long list of former leadership positions. This article lists the different sources of neurotoxins in the environment and how climate change likely worsens them. He outlines the neurological disorders caused by these toxins to both children and adults.

quote:

In addition, prenatal and early-life exposure to air pollution has been linked to an increased risk of autism spectrum disorder in children. Research suggests that air pollution exposure during these critical periods, particularly in the third trimester of pregnancy and the first few months of life, may impair normal neural development.

quote:

One of these cyanotoxins, β-methylamino-L-alanine, or BMAA, is linked to neurodegenerative disorders including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.In particular I was struck by scientists' finding high levels of BMAA in mollusks and fish found in the Baltic Sea, which could potentially play a role in Finland's high incidence of dementia, as fish is heavily consumed there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jesus, internet makes you stupid
outside makes you stupid
there's no winning

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we created both of those problems so maybe we were just stupid in the first place

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Alobar posted:

sometimes when i'm on one of those big winding overpasses i secretly lol and lmao to myself that any moment it all could come crashing down

every day i drive over a bridge across the arkansas river, and all i can think about is when a bridge over the arkansas river collapsed and killed like two dozen people when a barge hit it. i also used to cross that bridge before it collapsed. lol. lmao

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/miql/status/1416673558013497345?s=21

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=21

bowser has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we created both of those problems so maybe we were just stupid in the first place

It turns out

Humans make you stupid

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

I just realised I never heard her speech in full.

The media really covered the "how dare you" part but the rest was conspicuously underreported. No wonder why given what she said.

She's like one speech away from telling zoomers to just :killing: and that night she's going to kill herself by shooting herself in the back of the head, twice, with subsonic ammunition.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Something Awful: You Stupid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Minrad posted:

every day i drive over a bridge across the arkansas river, and all i can think about is when a bridge over the arkansas river collapsed and killed like two dozen people when a barge hit it. i also used to cross that bridge before it collapsed. lol. lmao

Bridges smacking barges happens all the loving time it seems. Is there some practical reason why this isn't due to slipshod seamanship or at least basic loving safety or is it just laziness and stupidity

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Unless posted:

homie, my people have embraced the latest generation of dc solar well pumps. I'd prioritize the gently caress outta that instead of batteries rn.

If you wanna be a dickbag, get a waterwheel going if you need AC, then worry about batteries.
This! Look up “direct drive” or “daylight drive” solar. Doxxing myself a bit here, but the farm I’m living on (still not a cult) is extensively employing this tech. We have a dc well pump that pulls water up 250 ft, moves it 1/4 mile to the house, and pressurizes our tanks to 60+ psi, at 10 gpm, on 180 volts of solar.
Edit: it’s a gruñidos GRUNDFOS sqflex; it’s been going strong for five years now. Obviously, there are a lot of different pumps depending on your specific situation, but I just want to emphasize that this is way more important and worth investing in than a battery system, and will work just fine without one. PM me if you’ve got any questions.

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Nov 19, 2021

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Alobar posted:

This happened in 2013 when a truck hit the side of the bridge.

I thought we were going to see a repeat when I heard there was an accident on the bridge involving a truck today. This happened instead

https://twitter.com/wspd7pio/status/1460698621096067074?t=sj4lT9o-K2fUuFHNmGwIUw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

actionjackson posted:

idk what people are on here. the pnw is absolutely one of the best places to weather cc in the USA. our understanding of the likely effects here are in some ways positive, and negative in others. the negatives are very mitigatable(not a word). our power grid is very safe, and we have a lot of expansion possibilities wrt offshore wind, tidal and other ocean based generation technologies. we have untapped geothermal, onshore wind and lots of room to expand it.

things like the the river washouts in BC are solved here in population centers already via extensive channelization and damming in the nisqually, duwamish, carbon, white, skykomish, cowlitz, etc.

there are washouts and floods in every river in the pnw almost every year, as that’s just the ecological norm of our seasonal weather patterns (drought, rainy. our two seasons). it’s been that way for at least the last 50,000 years in the wake of glacial recession.

changes from gc will just be more extremes: more rain, worse snowfall events (but unknown frequency, historical data shows fluctuations in snow frequency patterns to be stable to less often in the last 150 years), higher summer temps.

note that I’m not saying that it’s inconsequential, just that comparatively, it’s much more easily mitigated and will not make life much worse unlike the Midwest, southwest, northeast parts of the USA where significant portions will become quite literally uninhabitable for large populations.

this is of course discounting the international geopolitical and economic fallout which will gently caress everything up for everyone amen