Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its full knives out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Its full knives out now.

Isn't it just? It's loving great :)

:jerky:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

If it actually brings the loving government and the Tory establishment down in a way that achieves lasting change then I'll celebrate.

The odds of that happening are about the same as the odds of me being struck by a meteorite before hitting "Submit Reply" on this post, and.... nope.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sorry don't mean to be too blackpilled ITT but at best you'll get a different and likely worse Tory oval office in No.10 (like Keir Starmer) and it's all just so tiring.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol if you think Keith is ever going to be PM, he’s going to get kicked long before the next GE

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

WhatEvil posted:

Sorry don't mean to be too blackpilled ITT but at best you'll get a different and likely worse Tory oval office in No.10 (like Keir Starmer) and it's all just so tiring.

Yeah I mean, we're still 3 years from a general election so this isn't going to get the tories out or change the trajectory we're on.

Next election you'll have Red Wall(tm) voter vox pops saying "I'm sick of how it's all going we need a change so that's why I'm voting tory."

Still fun to see them eat each other.

gently caress, remember the first time Johnson was going for PM and Gove backstabbed him? That was great.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's hilarious. Leadership changes in the "we're bastards but at least we're competent" party always turn out like a knife fight in a phone box. I guess it's because they run a strong managed democracy for the formal selection process, so when there's a rumour of instability everyone has a brief opportunity to toxify their rivals so the 1922 committee can't select them as a candidate. Then there's that awkward period where they all pretend to ally with someone whose drink problem they were just anonymously briefing about.

It's a shame to see Gove go down so early, but also a kindness. He showed strong form in 2019 and even made it to the finals, but this time round he's got too much baggage with the ex-wife. He's a liability these days.
Sunak's keeping his powder dry but that's a smart move. Staying on the inside he can spike or support any desperate policy announcements and bargain for more control if Johnson remains in. He'd be on the last helicopter out if Johnson fell, but that'd look like loyalty. He has plenty of time left to do a quick lap of the back benches before displacing a continuity candidate and leading the party into the 2024 election.
Hunt could be one to watch. He's been too quiet of late. Comes across as managerial and a well turned out not-Boris. Bit of a dishrag, but then he's up against Starmer so no risk there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish labour were as indiscriminately vicious at the top tbh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Remember that the best media strategy you can possibly have is to release all your dirty laundry when it's going to be the second item on the news. Most people won't hear, a lot of those won't care and then whenever it gets brought up again then it's old news. The only exception to this is when it's part of a wider narrative which relies on public consciousness, broadly meaning media narrative and reminding the public, that this is an issue. All of these obvious corrupt dealings only matter if they are referenced next week when talking about the state of the party or the politician in question, otherwise it's just dumping all the filth in the river and hoping there aren't any receipts left around for anyone important to find to point a finger straight at a person.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't have any hope that things are going to improve, and we are destined for a right wing fascist dystopia for at least a decade or more....

....but I can still milk the schadenfreude by watching them all fight to the death in the Westminster thunderdome.

e: I forgot the link I came to post

https://twitter.com/thefreepress2/status/1460729103003365377

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 17, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

lol if you think Keith is ever going to be PM, he’s going to get kicked long before the next GE

Round of applause for our next Prime Minister, Wes Streeting

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Karmically we are owed over 250k dead tories.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I also love how much the Tories are infighting over Chope. Just look at that strong stability and party unity... lmao

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1460621336234147844

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

namesake posted:

Remember that the best media strategy you can possibly have is to release all your dirty laundry when it's going to be the second item on the news. Most people won't hear, a lot of those won't care and then whenever it gets brought up again then it's old news. The only exception to this is when it's part of a wider narrative which relies on public consciousness, broadly meaning media narrative and reminding the public, that this is an issue. All of these obvious corrupt dealings only matter if they are referenced next week when talking about the state of the party or the politician in question, otherwise it's just dumping all the filth in the river and hoping there aren't any receipts left around for anyone important to find to point a finger straight at a person.

tbh I half assumed the entire reason all this stuff was coming out now was because they've got inside info about the queen's health and think she'll die pretty shortly so feel safe that the sleaze stuff will be forgotten forever as that takes over the entire news cycle.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I also love how much the Tories are infighting over Chope. Just look at that strong stability and party unity... lmao

Makes me wonder what additional income Alicia Kearns is hoping to sweep under the rug of "Look, we've dealt with this already,"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Labour Kenny got outplayed by Boris loving Johnson

Big lols all around and a big lol If Kennys reign lasts to a GE

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Tory back benches are gonna revolt over the second jobs rules. Most of them are completely safe in their seats, and I have no problem believing they would rather topple the government than lose half their income.

I dunno if even Boris could get out of proposing these rules then withdrawing them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If I thought anyone in Number 10 was competent I could see this as a (very high risk but high reward) move. By doing this he's forcing a lot of people to go on record saying "Well actually I can barely live on 250k a year", not coincidentally almost all of them major political rivals of his. Forcing it to a whipped vote gives him ammo to throw all of them out of the party and replace them with weirdo Thatcherjugend like Ben Bradley and Dehenna Davison who would lack the political nous and contacts to threaten him and of course all his press chums will laud his amazing leadership in cleaning out the sleaze.

I don't think this is at all what he's doing, but there's a non-zero chance this might be an accidental outcome.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

As I said, you have not actually demonstrated why your preferred definition of terrorism is the correct one, merely stated that it is the definition and then given an example of using it to declare things to be terrorism or not terrorism, but at no point have you actually attempted to say why it is the case?

I don’t see there as being any such thing as a ‘correct definition’, only ones that are more or less useful. Making the distinction between terrorism, state terror, war crimes, genocide and so on seems to me useful because they are different things with different properties, causes and remedies.

For example, the Holocaust was at least nominally secret; there were no headlines boasting about the successful attainment of extermination targets. That is because the goal was not to use media reports to intimidate targets, but to have them no longer exist. Meanwhile, the identity of those doing the killing was not particularly secret records were kept, uniforms were worn, orders travelled by formal channels. This is because those responsible firmly controlled the state; they were not worried about the police coming and arresting them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think major political rivals will be his problem. They're careerists and will fall in line. Plus his biggest most obvious rival is stupidly rich and will have no issues with this.

It's the rank and file Tories who are secure in their seats, aren't ministers and never will be, and double their income with this stuff. They are not going to be happy at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

I don't think major political rivals will be his problem. They're careerists and will fall in line. Plus his biggest most obvious rival is stupidly rich and will have no issues with this.

It's the rank and file Tories who are secure in their seats, aren't ministers and never will be, and double their income with this stuff. They are not going to be happy at all.

Just lol at the idea of Tory members electing Rishi Sunak. Have you seen the colour of his skin? The Tory membership are loving lunatics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll elect him the same way that they elected the last few Tory leaders, all the other candidates will slip and fall on a pile of child skeletons that fly out of their closets and decide to drop out of the race for personal reasons.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also the membership absolutely will elect Sunak, sorry. The only thing that ultimately matters to Tories is that you're a Tory.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Also the membership absolutely will elect Sunak, sorry. The only thing that ultimately matters to Tories is that you're a Tory.

Lol nope. The tory party membership are heavily weighted to the most awful parts of their base and are definitely spiteful racist reactionaries as a voting majority. Andrea Leadsom was going to be leader if it had come to a vote.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

radmonger posted:

I don’t see there as being any such thing as a ‘correct definition’, only ones that are more or less useful. Making the distinction between terrorism, state terror, war crimes, genocide and so on seems to me useful because they are different things with different properties, causes and remedies.
This is kinda my original point, that the "was it a terrorism y/n" discourse that surrounds these kinds of events is generally unhelpful, because it doesn't draw any such distinction & is based on completely arbitrary, political & often racist criteria. The definition that you posit is not good, because it would include lots of antifascism (covert, public violence against nazis) but would not include Anders Breivik (overt). In fact, the sensible definition that most scholars prefer is more like what I put in my original post - indiscriminate violence against the general population in order to inspire fear for a political purpose - but the state won't accept that for reasons that we've already gone over, so the "y/n" discourse is forever trying to square the circle of reconciling how the word is actually understood with arbitrary definitions that aren't fit for purpose, so the meaning of terrorism becomes so mangled as to be useless, and the categorisation of something as terrorism or not terrorism becomes quibbling over semantics & has zero relationship to the actual utility of the classification.

In academic study, there are sometimes reasons to lump e.g. state terror, paramilitary groups, "lone wolf" nutjobs &c into one category so that you can examine common threads (e.g. my partner's research focuses on terrorist propaganda, wrt which there are common themes throughout all 3 of the above that you can draw lessons from). In terms of public policy, it might be more helpful to be more discriminatory, since very different responses are necessary to organised paramilitaries, angry loners having mental health crises, hostile foreign powers, far right groups &c. Or, it might not, when you can identity the same patterns of behaviour in e.g. radicalisation,* or the utility of counternarratives.

The point is, when I hear people/the news discussing whether or not something is terrorism, I tend to roll my eyes because people tend to just either go on an unexamined emotional assumption or uncritically accept the state's obvious nonsense or both, without considering (a)what they're basing the definition on, or (b)what the contextual purpose of the distinction even is. In general, a better question than "was this a terror" is just "what were the motives".

*for the record this is another phrase that gets flung around in terrorist discourse without considering its meaning & therefore producing stupid & counterproductive results. Like, where someone starts at point A "my ethnic/national/religious group is being oppressed" & works their way to point B "therefore blow up a bunch of innocent people", the state seems to think that point A is the radicalisation rather than point B, and so just do stuff like Prevent which only exacerbates the fact that actually point A is often a fair loving point

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 17, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The next tory leader will be a pig ignorant mumsnetter.

They will be a Christian reactionary fascist elected on an explicit 'send em back' ticket.

Quote this when it happens in six months time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The next Labour leader will be a boring managerial Liberal who will have the support of the guardian but will crater in the polls. The next 2 years will be twitter blue checks pleading to give them more time to bloviate around the fringes of policy before eventually settling on 'means tested dog ID cards' or something equally dumb.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Payndz posted:

Ugh, I just realised I'm going to be using the phrase "[PERSON FROM MY YOUTH] died?" with increasing frequency over time.
Speaking of, Bernie Drummond just passed away.

Real heads will know.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

keep punching joe posted:

The next Labour leader will be a boring managerial Liberal who will have the support of the guardian but will crater in the polls.

Are you posting from December 2019?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Only Kindness posted:

Real heads will know.

RIP, many hours of my childhood spent playing Toyota Celica GT Rally on this monstrosity.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Only Kindness posted:

Real heads will know.
And real heels. (I interviewed Drummond many years back.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I find this very bizarre. Why isn't he in Broadmoor or similar? Why doesn't he have a decent cell with TV etc even if the powers that be have decided he should be in solitary for ever?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-cannibal-killer-set-die-22148514

quote:

A Liverpool man branded 'Hannibal Lecter' made a name for himself by killing child molesters in a series of attacks that sent chills down people's spines.

Robert Maudsley spends 23 hours a day locked alone inside a glass box beneath Wakefield Prison, with a concrete slab to sleep on, a table and chair made of compressed cardboard, and a toilet and sink bolted to the floor.

Believed to be too dangerous to mix with prisoners and guards, the now-68-year-old Maudsley murdered his first victim when he was just 21.

He has been in prison since 1974, and locked inside a specially constructed 5.5 metres by 4.5 metres, bullet proof glass cage since 1983.

The fourth of 12 children, Maudsley spent his early years in a Catholic orphanage at Nazareth House before his parents reclaimed him at 8 years old.

Back with his parents, he suffered years of violent abuse at the hands of his father, egged on by his mother.

Startlingly similar to his current fate, Maudsley once spent six months locked in a room, his only contact being with his father who'd come to beat him several times a day.

As a 16-year-old, he fell down the hole of drug addiction and turned to sex work to earn money.

It was here he met his first victim in 1974.

Maudsley garrotted his client John Farrell to death after the man showed him photos of children he'd abused.

Declared unfit to stand trial and sent away with the recommendation that he never be released, Maudsley was locked up in Broadmoor Hospital, home to some of Britain's most dangerous criminals.

Three years later, he and fellow prisoner, David Cheeseman, barricaded themselves inside a room with tied up child molester, David Francis.

The pair tortured Francis to death before dangling his body for prison guards to see.

Charged with manslaughter, Maudsley was moved to the maximum security Wakefield Prison in Yorkshire where he found his final two victims.

In a murderous rage on July 29, 1978, Maudsley first strangled and stabbed Salney Darwood, a 46-year-old who was locked up for killing his wife.

After hiding Darwood's body under a bed, he then creeped into the cell of Bill Roberts, 56, who had sexually abused a seven-year-old girl.

He stabbed Roberts, hacked his skull with a makeshift dagger and smashed his head against a wall.

Reports at the time of his murders claimed he'd left a spoon in the skull of his second victim, who was missing part of his brain, although an autopsy report later showed that the story was incorrect.

After this final two victims, Maudsley acquired a nickname that stuck: "Hannibal the Cannibal".

During his final trial in 1979, Maudsley claimed he was thinking of his parents during his vigilante violence, wishing he had killed them in 1970.

Robert Maudsley's older brother Paul once said: "I've always thought 'There but for the grace of God go I . . .' I could easily have turned out like Bob.

"But I was lucky. I ended up with someone who loved me and showed me affection. Kevin, who now lives in Bradford, was the same. We're both married with four kids.

"But for Bob, the chain of abuse was never broken; he's been abused all his life."

The violent serial killer in the public imagination today is a far cry from the boy he was as a child.

After his trial, a nun from Nazareth House described him as one of the "better-behaved boys".

She said: "I never thought of him as awkward or troublesome. I certainly do not remember him as being insane. If anything, he was one of the better-behaved boys.

"With some of the boys you would think, 'He’s going to be a right so-and-so' but not him. I had no idea of the trouble the family had at home. I am sad to hear what has become of him."

Robert Maudsley's decades of solitary confinement have been criticised as possibly infringing on his human rights by risking further mental breakdown.

During a brief spell at Parkhurst Prison on the Isle of Wight in the 1990s, Maudsley met with psychiatrist Dr Bob Johnson, who believed he was making progress with reducing Maudsley's latent violence.

But the sessions were suddenly stopped after three years and Maudsley was returned to Wakefield Prison, where he has remained since.

Dr Johnson tried to contact Maudsley several times, but his letters went mostly unanswered, until he received a three-word message in the post: "All alone now."

Maudsley begged the courts to allow him to die in 2000, before writing a series of letters, setting out his situation.

He wrote: "What purpose is served by keeping me locked up 23 hours a day? Why even bother to feed me and to give me one hour’s exercise a day? Who actually am I a risk to?

"As a consequence of my current treatment and confinement, I feel that all I have to look forward to is indeed psychological breakdown, mental illness and probable suicide.

"Why can’t I have a budgie instead of flies, cockroaches and spiders which I currently have. I promise to love it and not eat it?

"Why can’t I have a television in my cell to see the world and learn? Why can’t I have any music tapes and listen to beautiful classical music?

"If the Prison Service says no then I ask for a simple cyanide capsule which I shall willingly take and the problem of Robert John Maudsley can easily and swiftly be resolved."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I find this very bizarre. Why isn't he in Broadmoor or similar? Why doesn't he have a decent cell with TV etc even if the powers that be have decided he should be in solitary for ever?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-cannibal-killer-set-die-22148514

Agreed, this just seems utterly bizarre and vindictive. There is too much focus in the prison system on punishment rather than treatment - and even in a case like this where it has been 'decided' that he can't be safe to be released ever, why be so cruel?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1460893292833423360?t=4WxJ-Q_wxZJ59JU4PiJ5GQ&s=19

Brexit seems to be a continued onslaught of annoyances and frustration until everything explodes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What the gently caress

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

New generation of Tories suddenly realising their party is 90% shrivelled old evil cunts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Agreed, this just seems utterly bizarre and vindictive. There is too much focus in the prison system on punishment rather than treatment - and even in a case like this where it has been 'decided' that he can't be safe to be released ever, why be so cruel?

Because Daily Mail readers love it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1460893292833423360?t=4WxJ-Q_wxZJ59JU4PiJ5GQ&s=19

Brexit seems to be a continued onslaught of annoyances and frustration until everything explodes

Pretty sure this is actually in protest of Section 75 tbh

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

RIP, many hours of my childhood spent playing Toyota Celica GT Rally on this monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The 9 Insulate Britain protesters have been sentenced to 3-4 months each in prison apart from this guy:

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1460593839295582212

.... who was given 6 months for some inexplicable reason.