Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

plenty of vaccines are a three dose course, I’m not saying you’re wrong. but it’s still a bit too early to know even in the Israel stuff.

Are you saying you think the mRNA vaccines will magically turn into sterilizing vaccines for people who get boosters? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo at some point in the future we're gonna get vaccines that are superior to what we have now that provide longer lasting protection and/or sterilizing immunity

it's only a lifetime of boosters every few months if vaccine tech doesn't advance from here

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

imo at some point in the future we're gonna get vaccines that are superior to what we have now that provide longer lasting protection and/or sterilizing immunity

it's only a lifetime of boosters every few months if vaccine tech doesn't advance from here

now do climate change

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Loucks posted:

Are you saying you think the mRNA vaccines will magically turn into sterilizing vaccines for people who get boosters? :lol:

no of course not.

I’m saying we don’t know what happens to effectiveness six months after a third shot booster. it might fall off in the same manner as after the second shot. it might not fall off as sharply. many current vaccines follow a shot, month second shot, six months final shot pattern. we could end up with anything in between those two outcomes. so a range from hey three worked to shot every six months until you die. we will have an idea in a few months once Israel gets 6-8 months out from third shots.

I mean I don’t care either way. give my kids the jab as often as it takes.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh, I totally misinterpreted you. Sure, I suppose that’s possible the third shot could last longer.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Late to boardgames chat but my 3 year old plays with the minis from Castle Ravenloft and watching spiders, skeletons and a dracolich playing a rousing game of duck duck goose is :gerty:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
virtual school showing a video about how money is made and why we can't just print as much as we want and it's times like these that we can do supplementary lessons that I like to call "Well Actually, Son..."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

virtual school showing a video about how money is made and why we can't just print as much as we want and it's times like these that we can do supplementary lessons that I like to call "Well Actually, Son..."

I've been doing this too for the last couple of years. It's appalling how much of the content is just programming kids to be good little flag-saluting consumers who reliably clock in on time at the soul-crushing plant.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So I've never heard the song "5 Little Ducks" until this past weekend, and it was kinda funny because we'd already put the kid to bed but just let the children's music pandora station continue to play afterwards while we picked up and got settled in for the rest of the evening and forgot about it. Later that night I had come in from smoking a couple bowls out back, and this song came on:

quote:

Five Little Ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away.
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” but only four little ducks came back.

Four little ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” but only three little ducks came back.

I sat down shocked and wondering "oh god did the duckling get eaten by a cat or other predator, what the hell" and felt terrible for the poor mother duck at first. But as the song went on I got mad at her because she kept sending her ducklings over the hill and far away, losing one each time, and I was sitting there high as gently caress and in my feelings nearly tearing up about this song and thinking what the gently caress is wrong with this mama duck, does she hate her kids, why does she keep letting them go over the hill and far away like that??? And what a dark loving children's song what the hell!!

And then

quote:

Sad mother duck went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, “Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,” and five little ducks came running back.

And I was like "oh good they're okay!" and felt way too relieved for the ducklings in this stupid children's song

My partner laughed her goddamn rear end off when I told her about it later

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Nov 15, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And I was like "oh good they're okay!" and felt way too relieved for the ducklings in this stupid children's song

Sounds like Daddy needs to lay down for a little nap.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My partner laughed her goddamn rear end off when I told her about it later

lol

my first child loved that story when she was like 4 or 5. i stapled several sheets of construction paper together for her and she illustrated her own variation of the story that she then sang to me:

quote:

Five Little Giganotosaurus went out one day, over the hills and far away.
Mother Giganotosaurus said, “RAWR, RAWR, RAWR, RAWR,” but only four little giganotosauruses came back.

it was so adorable, i've got that little book in storage and am never letting it go :3:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Loucks posted:

I've been doing this too for the last couple of years. It's appalling how much of the content is just programming kids to be good little flag-saluting consumers who reliably clock in on time at the soul-crushing plant.

oh boy the day's closing lesson has an anecdote about a rare penny that is worth $2,000 and I said "see son this is what I meant by money being fake"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Loucks posted:

i forget which grade it was when i was a kid but i remember the teacher telling us that the Vietnam War was the only war the united states ever lost and even then i was like "well that doesn't sound right"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

i forget which grade it was when i was a kid but i remember the teacher telling us that the Vietnam War was the only war the united states ever lost and even then i was like "well that doesn't sound right"

You must have gone to some fancy private school. When I was in school history ended when Americans bravely cooperated to end racism in the 60’s.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Loucks posted:

You must have gone to some fancy private school. When I was in school history ended when Americans bravely cooperated to end racism in the 60’s.

Philly public school district

just to clarify, our American history curriculum ended at about the same time as well, which was also right after America single handedly won World War 2 because the British and the Russians did such a poo poo job of it and we just stomped in and cleaned house, then dropped 2 nukes on japan but it was totally justified

The thing I said about Vietnam, was our teacher going off-script, I don't remember reading about the vietnam war in any textbook and I was well into high school before i even began to get a clue what the Vietnam War was actually about

also probably around that time I learned there was a Korean war

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, I went to high school right on the other side of the Delaware in Burlington and we got taught a pretty decent view on history like how the pilgrims were dumb assholes, the us has hosed up its foreign policy consistently, and how early cultures were advanced in certain ways and not just the outright "savages!!!!" units we had in elementary

Mini-soup has her second cold from daycare! :stoked: no real fever or anything but stuffy nose, cough, etc for the past few days so I'm chilling at home with her today with a pediatrician appointment this afternoon just to be safe

Her new daycare here near Providence is kick rear end and miles beyond the home daycare service we had before - everything is itemized and recorded and there is a clear system for everything and staff is incredibly nice. Also puts into perspective the astronomical and unreasonable prices of childcare around the DC area which IIRC are some of (if not the) highest in the nation. We are getting far better care at a fraction of the price with a center that is highly rated by state/national standards and by fellow parents

Man imagine if the government took care of all these costs!!!!!!!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
well it took about 3 days for my daughter to completely get over shot 1, her possibly having season fall allergies didn’t help. going to take necessary days off for shot 2, she was a trooper though. I’d ask her how she’s doing and I’d get a thumbs up while she’s falling asleep from fatigue

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Actually the US didn't lose it because it wasn't a war! Just like how we didn't lose Iraq, or Afghanistan, or any other of the wars we've lost!

God I'm so glad I emigrated. I've thought about moving back but the thought of my daughter saying the pledge of allegiance in the morning makes me sick, gently caress that poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
with an impending newborn it's funny how much advice has changed with babies over the last 20 years let alone the last 30-40. all the future grandparents are flabbergasted at the "no stuff in the crib," and of course 30 years ago you put the baby on their side to sleep, not their back and so on and so on

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah it was like super sids risk factors galore back then, smoking, poo poo in crib, stomach sleeping, etc

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you're not supposed to poo poo in the crib anymore? fuckin dumb.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My son slept on his stomach every day for the first year of his life and he’s still alive 6 years later.

Suck it, experts!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

you're not supposed to poo poo in the crib anymore? fuckin dumb.

we poo poo in kitchen sinks now

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

They're not supposed to smoke???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

My son slept on his stomach every day for the first year of his life and he’s still alive 6 years later.

Suck it, experts!

Did he roll onto to his stomach or did you place him on his stomach?

My kiddo also slept on their stomach and when I asked the Dr. she said as long as my kiddo rolled onto their stomach they were fine. I still worried way too much about it lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah the whole thing with "back to sleep" is it gives them a chance. if the kid is already flipping over on their own after you do it, that's fine.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

They're not supposed to smoke???

Vaping is way less dangerous. It’s all about harm reduction.

Seriously though we co-slept and it was fine. I’m convinced the “secret” is just not to drink or otherwise get hosed up before bed. I’m sure there are some people who can roll over on a baby and not notice, but we’re such light sleepers it seems impossible. Anyway my kid is still alive therefore it was the correct decision.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i think the research shows cosleeping is perfectly safe so long as you don't drink, smoke, or take other meds that might make you stuporous.

we never co-slept just because we didnt want the fight of getting the kid out of our bed at whatever point. my kid is also still alive so it was the right decision.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we didn't cosleep until covid and now it's pretty typical for one or both of them to finish the night in our bed.

come to think of it, we got away with it last night. wonder what we did differently?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

The struggle to kick the kid out of the Big Bed is (was) real. 😓

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

U-DO Burger posted:

that's a fair point and i hadn't bothered to think that far, but now that i have, counterpoint: which one would be more profitable for manufacturers and distributors?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah the whole thing with "back to sleep" is it gives them a chance. if the kid is already flipping over on their own after you do it, that's fine.

yeah if they have the strength to roll over they have the strength to move their face so they can breathe

my kiddo just fell off the table because he was climbing back onto the chair and completely missed the chair

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

one thing that I remember from my childhood that simply isn't A Thing anymore was how many hours I spent watching whatever news/documentary/sitcom my parents were watching just because it was the only screen in the house and they had a valid claim since TiVo wasn't around in 1994.

like my kids basically never have to watch Columbo or Murder She Wrote or The Adventures or Horatio Hornblower or whatever the gently caress my patents were into.

that said, a common threat I use with my children is "if you don't stop this behavior, I WILL watch an episode of Frasier."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I do that in the car. If you don't stop fighting and yelling, I'm putting my board game podcasts on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kids these days are never going to get scared shitless by the doctor who intro because they didn’t change the channel fast enough after Hercules

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

one thing that I remember from my childhood that simply isn't A Thing anymore was how many hours I spent watching whatever news/documentary/sitcom my parents were watching just because it was the only screen in the house and they had a valid claim since TiVo wasn't around in 1994.

like my kids basically never have to watch Columbo or Murder She Wrote or The Adventures or Horatio Hornblower or whatever the gently caress my patents were into.

that said, a common threat I use with my children is "if you don't stop this behavior, I WILL watch an episode of Frasier."

They also don't have to hear the muffled laugh tracks through the walls.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

They also don't have to hear the muffled laugh tracks through the walls.

sometimes my kids wake up in the middle of the night to go sleep in our bed and they have to walk by the television in the basement to get there.

last night my older son just goes "Frasier again.." as he trudged up the steps.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I feel like the loud thud => listen for crying => go back to pretending to work in the basement cycle is getting shorter and less frequent. guess she’ll be walking soon!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My parents allowed us to stay up late to watch episodes of Masterpiece Theater on PBS, which was really clever now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Silent Scourge
Aug 24, 2006
I Have Asthma

Dreylad posted:

with an impending newborn it's funny how much advice has changed with babies over the last 20 years let alone the last 30-40. all the future grandparents are flabbergasted at the "no stuff in the crib," and of course 30 years ago you put the baby on their side to sleep, not their back and so on and so on

We recently started solids with our kiddo, and even though we're a month into, it we still constantly get 'I am so surprised you didn't start with rice cereal!' from both sets of grandparents.