Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
this is a really dumb question i'm sure, but is there a reason that china doesnt simply give cuba everything it needs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

swimsuit posted:

this is a really dumb question i'm sure, but is there a reason that china doesnt simply give cuba everything it needs?

China doesn't really run a Cold War policy like the USSR.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

swimsuit posted:

because china doesnt actually want to antagonize the US

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

swimsuit posted:

china isn't actually marxist-leninist-maoist

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
38.2% of Cuban exports go to China, and the PRC has also put a bunch of capital investment into mining/smelting. In addition, China has cancelled 6 billion in loans while still lending.

The problem is mostly that Cuba heavily depends on tourism and that doesn’t exist at the moment while it is still running a large trade deficit.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Nov 16, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

they're a dime regardless of gender

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

swimsuit posted:

china's a huge trade partner with cuba and a sizable portion of the debt it's cancelled worldwide has been for cuban goods and infrastructure projects.

they're building the first new trains there in decades

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol so did anybody show up for their party even in DC

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hugo, girl

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1460411987217633287

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

R. Guyovich posted:

china's a huge trade partner with cuba and a sizable portion of the debt it's cancelled worldwide has been for cuban goods and infrastructure projects.

they're building the first new trains there in decades

You're confusing the question, which is why doesn't China pick up Cuba in its arms and carry it across the field of danger like in the hit movie The Bodyguard?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

WaPo editorial board posted:

The Post's View

Opinion: By suppressing protest, Cuba’s government displays its fear of the people

The Cuban freedom movement did not succeed in staging the massive “Civic March for Change” it had planned for Monday. Having been put on notice several weeks ago that opposition leaders wanted to take to the streets, the Havana regime of President Miguel Díaz-Canel prepared and carried out an impressively sophisticated repressive strategy. Over the weekend and on Monday, plainclothes government agents and uniformed security forces alike flooded parks and sidewalks across the island. Police parked their cars outside the homes of known dissidents. Hostile crowds gathered “spontaneously” to trap them inside, shouting insults.

Surely one of the more poignant images to emerge from these events was that of the proposed march’s best-known organizer, 39-year-old playwright Yunior García Aguilera, peering through the window of his besieged Havana apartment, a white rose in his hand. This was the flower with which he had planned to march, alone if necessary, through the streets of Cuba’s capital on Sunday, in lieu of what had become the impossible task of going out the following day. Mr. Garcia displayed it as a gesture of defiance — and of peace. The allusion is to a famous poem in which José Marti, Cuba’s literary and political national hero, metaphorically offers such a flower both to a friend and a “cruel” tormentor.

Though the Cuban regime may portray the suffocation of the planned march as evidence of its strength and the freedom movement’s weakness, the opposite is true. No, its opponents were not able to carry out a more organized reprise of the sudden uprising in the streets that shook Cuba on July 11. Yet the vast, expensive mobilization the government required to prevent it showed, albeit backhandedly, that the sentiments aroused and expressed four months ago are too powerful and widespread to be contained otherwise. That is a disastrous failure for a government whose legitimacy rests on its claim to speak not only for the Cuban people but also for downtrodden masses everywhere.

Following the July 11 uprising, Havana sought to appease the increasingly restive public through minor reforms, such as greater latitude for small private businesses and tweaks to the legal provisions that allowed it to hold dissenters without charges. At its heart, though, the one-party state remained intact: The planning for Monday showed most Cubans were not deceived. Certainly a confident government, based securely in the support of its people, would not have behaved as the Cuban regime did this week. Yoani Sánchez, a dissident journalist, put it well on her morning podcast: “Fear has switched sides” in Cuba, she said. Before July 11, the people feared the government. Since that date, the government has feared the people. And Nov. 15 will be remembered as a date that confirmed its fear is great indeed.
it's actually precisely because no one attended the protests that we know popular support for the colour revolution is real, and strong and my friend

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

You'd think a genuine mass of anti-government opposition could demonstrate regardless of state repression, like they did a few months ago - and not just end up barricaded in their own living rooms by their neighbors.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That Washington Post op-ed is literally the worst written bullshit I've read in my entire life.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We know the Cuban people want freedom from the current government, but we can't find any evidence that that's true, so that just proves that the government is really good at hiding the evidence.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

vyelkin posted:

We know the Cuban people want freedom from the current government, but we can't find any evidence that that's true, so that just proves that the government is really good at hiding the evidence.

As any truly brutal authoritarian dictatorship would be!!!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're confusing the question, which is why doesn't China pick up Cuba in its arms and carry it across the field of danger like in the hit movie 长津湖?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i know when i lead a genuine antigovernment protest i make sure to advertise my big demonstration at least a week in advance in the world's largest newspapers

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i liked this bit

quote:

Hostile crowds gathered “spontaneously” to trap them inside, shouting insults.

how could people just "spontaneously" turn up outside the house of a well publicised leader of the well publicised protest on the well publicised date it was going to happen?? who could have tipped them off to these super secret plans that were printed in every american newspaper and repeatedly referenced by the US government.

I'm assuming some sort of cummunist mind ray was involved

also ngl I would totally go and shout at my neighbour for being a yanqui running dog, it sounds like a fun time for the whole community

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Crusader posted:

On Sunday, a leader of the movement, Yunior García Aguilera, had planned to march alone holding a white rose, but government supporters prevented him from leaving his house, videos posted on Facebook show. At one point, he peeked through the blinds of his apartment window with a white flower in his hand — until someone on a higher floor lowered a huge Cuban flag, blocking the view.

“This community is not going to allow a media show,” one of Mr. García’s neighbors shouted in his face, according to a video posted on Facebook.
This is absolutely glorious content

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I particularly love the framing of a crowd of "government supporters" stopping him from leaving his house.

Thinking about that without WaPo slathering the events in ideology, you might come to the conclusion that if a crowd of his neighbours disagree with him, therefore his views may be quite marginal even among his closest peers. But by labeling them "government supporters" they manage to make it sound sinister, conspiratorial, and premeditated, as if the government called up some local reserves to come repress him rather than his neighbours just calling him an idiot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Hey I'd like it if you were plantation slaves for American business again and my doctor's salary paid me enough to aspire to owning a piece of you one day"
"What the gently caress no why are you even our neighbor holy poo poo"
"Omg paid government supporters are doing an embargo on me, and not the good kind that my friends at JP Morgan Chase like!"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

38.2% of Cuban exports go to China, and the PRC has also put a bunch of capital investment into mining/smelting. In addition, China has cancelled 6 billion in loans while still lending.

The problem is mostly that Cuba heavily depends on tourism and that doesn’t exist at the moment while it is still running a large trade deficit.

As of yesterday tourism is supposed to be starting up again. If you go I think you can even get a Cuban vaccine as a booster.

Epic High Five posted:

Lol so did anybody show up for their party even in DC

https://twitter.com/LavenderNRed/status/1460301276848218116?s=20

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

i'm the 3 people that hosed up and used the wrong hand, thereby posting ⅃ instead of L

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fermun posted:

i'm the 3 people that hosed up and used the wrong hand, thereby posting ⅃ instead of L

Please stop outing the DGI

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How can you not find enough people in DC to do an anti-Cuba protest

Can't you just force all the heritage foundation new grad hires or chamber of commerce interns to go hold some flags for a day loving christ. It's not like you think it's a spontaneous all-natural organic event if you're on the board planning it with 8 other lackeys rolling in billionaire donations

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

XMNN posted:

i liked this bit

how could people just "spontaneously" turn up outside the house of a well publicised leader of the well publicised protest on the well publicised date it was going to happen?? who could have tipped them off to these super secret plans that were printed in every american newspaper and repeatedly referenced by the US government.

I'm assuming some sort of cummunist mind ray was involved

also ngl I would totally go and shout at my neighbour for being a yanqui running dog, it sounds like a fun time for the whole community

Oh, you think those people shouting at him to log off were real? No, they were government agents. They said they lived there and were his neighbors? Wrongo, they were plainclothes police officers. One of them was his upstairs neighbor who lowered a cuban flag over his window from their balcony? Incorrect, it was lowered from a HIND-D.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

30.5 Days posted:

Oh, you think those people shouting at him to log off were real? No, they were government agents. They said they lived there and were his neighbors? Wrongo, they were plainclothes police officers. One of them was his upstairs neighbor who lowered a cuban flag over his window from their balcony? Incorrect, it was lowered from a HIND-D.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

How can you not find enough people in DC to do an anti-Cuba protest

Can't you just force all the heritage foundation new grad hires or chamber of commerce interns to go hold some flags for a day loving christ. It's not like you think it's a spontaneous all-natural organic event if you're on the board planning it with 8 other lackeys rolling in billionaire donations

Those people are McLean/Langley not DC.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
let's not forget this attempted color revolution, which so far is the most hilarious in a string of really loving funny color revolution attempts, is white. could not be a more hilariously apt color to use here.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Those people are McLean/Langley not DC.

poo poo's 20 minutes away im driving longer than that to go to roller derby practice tonight

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

swimsuit posted:

Cuba just joined Belt and Road, op

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Send in the sailing gusanos already

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Cuba just joined Belt and Road, op

Just last month!

https://twitter.com/WEIWEIDAI4/stat...0pagenumber%3D2

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/world/china-overtakes-us-as-world-s-richest-country-report/story

desperate, fading hegemony

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

fermun posted:

has the CIA been outsourcing their LatAm division to Ubisoft?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1460931004122775555

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder if Bolsonaro's dance about finding a party is a way for him to save face for not running after cutting a backroom deal with the libs for his family to avoid prosecution for their many many crimes. Probably just :tinfoil: though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1460986192917323777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://twitter.com/manolo_realengo/status/1460985480607150090

turns out his house wasn't blockaded after all i guess