Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gripweed posted:

From their description it really sounds like Pete never actually became OK with being gay, and still resents it

him stating, in front of his loving husband, that he wished he were not gay was loving brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

him stating, in front of his loving husband, that he wished he were not gay was loving brutal

yea I'm 100% on team 'Chasten probably sucks in his own way but I want him to have better than this husk of a man he's shackled himself to', let the dork man find some other midwestern dork to eat DQ together and watch Bravo with.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm 100% on team 'Chasten probably sucks in his own way but I want him to have better than this husk of a man he's shackled himself to', let the dork man find some other midwestern dork to eat DQ together and watch Bravo with.
Anything is better than being with a lizard person like Pete, that's for sure

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

turned my bowels to ice. what a fuckin freak.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure Chasten can fix him.

Annnnnnny day now

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Seeking Derangements has released their own Mayor Pete doc episode, a good companion piece to the Chapo one, of course in a perfect world it would have been a Chapo X SD super episode.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Pete Buttigieg is literally a demon. He resents being gay because it makes it harder for him to ingratiate himself with the most evil people in the world.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A gay kid growing up in a hostile environment desperately wishing that they weren't gay isn't some bizarre thing. Pete is a freak homunculus, but that quote isn't a great example of it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Saagonsa posted:

A gay kid growing up in a hostile environment desperately wishing that they weren't gay isn't some bizarre thing. Pete is a freak homunculus, but that quote isn't a great example of it.

He wishes he wasn't gay now as an adult because he sees it as a political liability op

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Saagonsa posted:

It isn't that he had the thought, it's that he uses that traumatic response in a really cynical way to score points with guilty Democrat voters

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Saagonsa posted:

It would also be totally fine if he followed it with “but despite all the hardship, I met a great man and married him, I gained confidence in my own identity, and I’m glad that others can learn from what I went through and be their best self”. But it’s not that, his thoughts stop with where his statement stopped and he just hates that has a (self ascribed) mark against his career.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Saagonsa posted:

The thing is, there's clearly more to it than that. Dude went to college in the 00s, away from his home, but didn't come out until 2015. He doesn't talk about actual experiences of homophobia. And while the way he talks about hating being gay rings true and seems honest, the part where he's like, "but I'm not like that anymore" seems very perfunctory. I really get the vibe that he has serious issues with his own homosexuality that he hasn't dealt with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

It isn't that he had the thought, it's that he uses that traumatic response in a really cynical way to score points with guilty Democrat voters

yea, I've had that thought as well as a young person, it sucks, it 100% coincided with some real suicidal/self harm periods and it was probably during some of my lowest points (which is why you have that clip of Chasten loving asking him if that weird knife poo poo was his very careful way to talk about self-harm thoughts, because ya know he probably had them too and got what 'cut the gay out of me' was code for). It's a story I'd be very reluctant to share with my actual face and name because again that story involves some truly dark parts of my life I don't enjoy thinking about but if I did I would want it to be part of a greater narrative, a story about how I USED to have those thoughts and how important it is to my core ethos that no young LGBTQ+ person should ever feel like I did in those times.

Pete...doesn't talk like that, he's not sharing his trauma to create empathy with not just him but with the community as a whole and his audience, he's not letting straight cis people in on a sadly not-rare part of our self actualization process to show that being LGBTQ+ isn't just pride parades and sassy hollywood queers, it's a cynical use of it to A) justify him as not just 'another white guy' to idpol obsessed voters, and B) to tug the heartstrings of guilty voters without actually making it awkward by being genuinely open about his trauma.

It's genuinely a very dark and evil side of him because there's no way he's making it up entirely, he just internalized that pain that so many of us feel and decided to go 'well, at least this will make a good story for my campaign'.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

"Dunking" on Brie seems low-key kind of gross given the impossible position Virgil has left her in

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wizard Master posted:

"Dunking" on Brie seems low-key kind of gross given the impossible position Virgil has left her in

Aren't you the freak twitter stalking the red scare girls?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aren't you the freak twitter stalking the red scare girls?

Wizard Master

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

yeah well you seem low-key kind of gross

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
She should say something about the Virgil stuff by now but I think it’s weird how much some people who aren’t even liberals or right wingers seem to really loathe her and are really loving all this.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

I'm with Wizard Master on this, god help me.

Whatever Virgil Texas actually did is not salacious enough to warrant any interest, and it is a certainty that Briahna Joy Grey knows nothing about the situation that would be worth any interest.

There is nothing in the Virgil Texas situation to be legitimately interested about, so person is just trying to harass a woman into having a twitter meltdown for their own amusement.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
okay I'll keep giving her the benefit of the doubt until she's teaching at the university of Austin

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The harassment consists of Matt including her among a group of people all believing in a shadow ban conspiracy. That ain't harassment it's properly pointing out someone prefers to believe in delusion rather than just accept their follow growth is slowing.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you to everyone itt still Keeping the Faith

https://twitter.com/Arbitrarymagi/status/1409505812867915776?s=20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

She should say something about the Virgil stuff by now but I think it’s weird how much some people who aren’t even liberals or right wingers seem to really loathe her and are really loving all this.

she's just kind of an annoying dork and it's funny to see annoying dorks have meltdowns online

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The harassment consists of Matt including her among a group of people all believing in a shadow ban conspiracy. That ain't harassment it's properly pointing out someone prefers to believe in delusion rather than just accept their follow growth is slowing.

Yeah as far as I am concerned making fun of her for believing in shadow banning is totally legit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“It’s weird, I started a podcast with one of the most famous podcasters in the world, and we were doing great numbers, but then the show’s main draw quit (for being a pedofile) and suddenly the show is just me, the boring one nobody ever heard of, and it’s CLEAR to me my follower growth rate nosediving is because of Electrical Illuminati and is totally unrelated to my pedofile co-host, whom I will never reference, and whom I actually never even had in the first place”

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
why do you spell it weird

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My personal speculation is that she took this new show deal to finally move on from Bad Faith and its associations with Virgil, and I doubt anywhere else would be willing to pick her up, but at a certain point when your options are “have a guy who’s very likely a pedo in your promo material” and “take money from Peter Thiel” maybe the best thing she could’ve done is just stop podcasting and find another job with her law degree.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
She was whining about shadow bans before the Virgil stuff even happened, I remember this because he was still tweeting at the time and it seemed like exactly the kind of thing he would attack if it was anyone but his cohost

Which is funny because of course followers would start slowing after you go from being Bernie's campaign manager to a random podcast host

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
honestly insane that anonymous allegations about getting nudes from a 17 year old would make a person yeet their entire (very popular) public persona of the last 6 years while gislaine maxell's lawyer feels fine to publicly also represent epstein's cellmate

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Yeah as far as I am concerned making fun of her for believing in shadow banning is totally legit

i can believe shadow banning is real. complaining about it on the same platform is hilarious tho

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My man is trying to epic rap battle history himself

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1460776261010264067?t=YYPJsmCe0wMDA71Yt49mLg&s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shadow banning is real but it doesn't happen to big accounts so it's really funny she's complained about it more than once.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

crepeface posted:

i can believe shadow banning is real. complaining about it on the same platform is hilarious tho

When in doubt, :justpost:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

She was whining about shadow bans before the Virgil stuff even happened, I remember this because he was still tweeting at the time and it seemed like exactly the kind of thing he would attack if it was anyone but his cohost

Which is funny because of course followers would start slowing after you go from being Bernie's campaign manager to a random podcast host

Everybody's gotta have a ceiling too. Unless you're going viral or starting up new poo poo, you can't expect to grow forever. Tendency of the rate of followers is to fall.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Pete Buttigieg is literally a demon. He resents being gay because it makes it harder for him to ingratiate himself with the most evil people in the world.

So it seems there's a new Andrew Sullivan around, huh.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Brie is just annoying half the time and her constant Stanning for Glenn Greenwald makes her too much. The fact that Virgil is still all over the social media for Bad Faith and she won't comment on it is just absurd. I gave up on the podcast a little bit after she went solo and it seemed like she was going to the Jimmy Dore "leftist" route.

The Mayo Pete docu just makes the theories during the primaries that Pete was the Putin, intelligence state candidate to take the presidency even more crazy and sadder. He's just a weirdo who decided to run for president and got a consolation prize because the Democrats are dumb. It wasn't even a good consolation prize but still.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm at a loss as to why so many people care so much about Glenn Greenwald.

Regarding the Harris article: even if Biden and Harris were to somehow "exchange portfolios," I don't think it would work. Harris can't summon the charisma or enthusiasm to champion causes she obviously doesn't support. Biden can't defend his unpopular policies because he has senile dementia and gets belligerent when he smells anything like antagonism. It's sad how he embodies the last generation of retail politicians and he can't even handle those interactions anymore.

I have no doubt that Pete was the deep state candidate; he wouldn't have received the donations that he did otherwise. And if he were somehow elected president, you would see the near-total absorption of politics into "management consulting." But that can't happen because popular election of the nominal head of state is a very important trapping of democracy in this thoroughly undemocratic empire.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 17, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the CIA thought they gave pete everything — an impeccable resume, the ability to replicate obama's speech patterns, the fawning of the depraved media class, outsized confidence, a photogenic (and even likable) husband — but there's one thing they forgot......... a soul

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Wizard Master posted:

no one is dunking on her because of Virgil its because shes an annoying grifter who sucks hope this clears that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stop calling everyone you don't like a grifter