Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hypocrisy posted:

drat it. Snake people everywhere!

I assume Fern is the one the little demon didn't classify as first class.

Revolte's last line cracked me up since I read it as an exasperate parent whose child asked why too many times.

The non-1st class mage is stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jerkface posted:

The non-1st class mage is stark

He says "Four mages and a warrior, Three of them first class". Frieren is going to be my guess for the "not first class" mage, because it fits with her constantly being underestimated due to her training.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
or the demons have some recon on the official status of first-class mages entering their territory

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Excited to hopefully see Stark get to show his stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
warriors don't have detectable mana output like mages do. their approximate level isn't nearly as simple to discern.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

He says "Four mages and a warrior, Three of them first class". Frieren is going to be my guess for the "not first class" mage, because it fits with her constantly being underestimated due to her training.

right :doh: I guess frieren then too

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Hypocrisy posted:

drat it. Revolte's last line cracked me up since I read it as an exasperate parent whose child asked why too many times.

It kind of touches on the topic of Demons and Humans fundamentally not understanding each other and their motivations. I think it's gonna be a pretty developed theme by the end of the manga.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I thought demons never hid/suppressed their mana. That was even the entire crux of an earlier arc. Hopefully that turns out to be a significant clue that something different is going on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The junk collector posted:

It kind of touches on the topic of Demons and Humans fundamentally not understanding each other and their motivations. I think it's gonna be a pretty developed theme by the end of the manga.

I think demons are supposed to be philosophical zombies.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/zombies/

Creatures with no inner life and essentially automatons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I thought demons never hid/suppressed their mana. That was even the entire crux of an earlier arc. Hopefully that turns out to be a significant clue that something different is going on.

They don’t limit their mana to hide their true level but they can still fully hide their mana for stealth stuff.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

They don’t limit their mana to hide their true level but they can still fully hide their mana for stealth stuff.

Yeah, I think the idea is that they're perfectly capable of obscuring their mana if there's an obvious reason to do so like needing to employ stealth. It's just that going around with their mana suppressed all the time like Frieren does to give the impression of being weaker than she really is, is just utterly foreign to their way of thinking. It's how they determine hierarchy, and the only way they organize into a society. Hence when Frieren reveals it, we see the demon react with something close to moral outrage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even for humans/elves it’s really weird and pointless. It’s explicitly for fighting demons because they wouldn’t give a second thought about someone possibly having more mana that they’re showing

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

That was addressed in that arc

Also while I was digging that up, I don't remember this edit lol

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

If mages are the only ones who can detect mana in the first place, it just seems to be an arbitrary distinction between hiding mana while in combat vs. doing it to avoid detection/combat, especially given their instinct to constantly antagonize and attack. That arc did start out with them attempting something approaching guile, though (in their way), so I guess it makes sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for demons, hiding mana is something you do before a fight and not during.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's a pride thing, and sort of makes sense: their society, insofar as they have one, is a fairly strict hierarchy based on how much juice you've got, so going full blast is procedure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my society is also a fairly strict about blasting juice

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/73/page/1

In the new chapter, Frieren surrenders her body to Methode.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Frieren is so easy. Also interesting, they only detected one mage watching the bodies eh

Also, I got the official release and it's fine, but they translated Soul Track as Zoltraak for some reason

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Fellis posted:

Frieren is so easy.

Easy, but not cheap. That's a sacred treasure there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Methode's probably been carrying around that tome ever since the exam for exactly this scenario, scary.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fellis posted:

Frieren is so easy. Also interesting, they only detected one mage watching the bodies eh

Demons don't seem to pay much heed to people who aren't magic. It's part of their arrogance.

(Also, I couldn't help but think of Galan and Akihiro in Gundam when the conversation started about decent people dying first. Not the only instance of it in anime and manga, but one of the more memorable ones.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The junk collector posted:

Easy, but not cheap. That's a sacred treasure there.

Probably the most valuable magic we’ve seen yet.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frieren is a good mom

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Fern seemed a bit jealous of that hug!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 74

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber

Love these two dumb boys

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://mangadex.org/chapter/adac28ba-e5d5-442b-8832-7f28fd3cc303

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So proud of our girl Fern.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

*extremely FPS announcer voice* headshot

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did Fern kill both or did Frieren get the first one?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Sindai posted:

Did Fern kill both or did Frieren get the first one?

Pretty sure Fern.

I read it as Fern hiding her mana as soon as the fog disappeared to flank her enemy, blasting him before he noticed she moved/attacked.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
drat, I didn't realize Fern became such a badass. That was some modern gunship death from above firepower.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frieren specialized for millennia in killing demons so its not a big surprise that she would teach her daughter all about it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

haha I get it, de-mist-ification

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I started this series earlier today and it is now five thirty AM, it's real good and I couldn't put it down. I like most of the characters a whole bunch but I think the mimic joke is my favorite part.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

New Chapter; in which the brief Demon arc concludes and angry Fern remains adorable

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be honest I forgot priests were even a thing in this setting

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Stark pointing out the important issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

methode has strong priorities