Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don’t forget Marvel has a history of making deceptive trailers solely for the purpose of trying to keep out spoilers. As hard as they’re trying to keep spoilers at a minimum I wouldn’t be surprised if most shots in this trailer aren’t edited in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah you just come up with whatever you want and say it’s X universe where it’s a previously unused universe. That’s it. Whole point of the marvel multiverse is that it’s endless. It’s why the main marvel universe is 616 instead of 1. it’s just one of endless many.

Sorry, I mean the rules of how the universes interact. Like, can you travel to the past of Everyone-Is-A-Cartoon-Animal World, or is it just another universe where everything is exactly like Everyone-Is-A-Cartoon-Animal World, except just a few years earlier?

Actually, wait. Endgame set that exact precedent, didn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

OK, I think I understand what it happening here.

These are not the villains from the Sony movies... that we saw. These are all from different universes that are very similar to those universes, but NOT those universes. That's why Electro is totally different, Doc Ock's got red arms instead of yellow ones, why some of the villains are missing, and why they're all alive in the first place.

If, say, a portal was opened to MaguireVerse, then Goblin and Doc Ock were dead by the time Sandman existed. But if they're all from three different universes, or even just one universe where they never died, then it makes sense.

Strange saying they all die fighting Spider-Man doesn't mean "Hey I saw these movies and I know they should be dead so you have to do this to prevent a paradox!" It means that Peter is the cause of the spell loving up, so it's intrinsically tied to him fixing things, and to fix things, they all have to die by Spider-Man's hand. That's the black suit; It's a magic suit made by Strange and Strange is imbuing it with some sort of power to seal off the multiverses by killing those that broke through.

Or something.

Is there any precedent in the comics about how the Multiverse stuff functions?

I assume the red Ock arms are a Stark-tech upgrade he gets when MJ and Ned inevitably let him out to go save Pete from Norman et al

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
So happy that Doc Ock finally gets a shirt. I didn't want to sit through another film of Alfred Molina's nips.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The postcredits scene is totally gonna be Tobey doing the emo Peter dance, isn't it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

I assume the red Ock arms are a Stark-tech upgrade he gets when MJ and Ned inevitably let him out to go save Pete from Norman et al

More likely the tentacles integrate some Stark nano bots from Peter’s costume during their fight.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Argue posted:

The postcredits scene is totally gonna be Tobey doing the emo Peter dance, isn't it

It's going to be all three of them doing it in sync.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm probably weird, because the idea that the core conflict in this movie stems from Peter refusing to put all these dead villains back in the ground is probably the most exciting thing about it to me

other than a probable Venom cameo

This is the most interesting thing for me too, that's a very Spider-Manny conflict, and it's cool that they're actually exploring ideas/moral quandaries as opposed to just "look villains!".

Anyway, Spider-Man twitter when seeing no Tobey or Andrew in the trailer: https://youtu.be/JAPfSvt5EtE

I still think they're in it, just because if they're not you'd have expected someone from Sony/Marvel to be recklessly starting damage control by now in anticipation of the eventual disappointment on release day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks good

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jamesman posted:

OK, I think I understand what it happening here.

These are not the villains from the Sony movies... that we saw. These are all from different universes that are very similar to those universes, but NOT those universes. That's why Electro is totally different, Doc Ock's got red arms instead of yellow ones, why some of the villains are missing, and why they're all alive in the first place.

If, say, a portal was opened to MaguireVerse, then Goblin and Doc Ock were dead by the time Sandman existed. But if they're all from three different universes, or even just one universe where they never died, then it makes sense.

Strange saying they all die fighting Spider-Man doesn't mean "Hey I saw these movies and I know they should be dead so you have to do this to prevent a paradox!" It means that Peter is the cause of the spell loving up, so it's intrinsically tied to him fixing things, and to fix things, they all have to die by Spider-Man's hand. That's the black suit; It's a magic suit made by Strange and Strange is imbuing it with some sort of power to seal off the multiverses by killing those that broke through.

Or something.

Is there any precedent in the comics about how the Multiverse stuff functions?

I think you're overthinking. They're from the movies, just before they died. and Ock changes his arm color in the trailer after touching Spiders suit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hm yea I do dig the concept of MCU Peter trying to fight the predetermined "fate" of these multiverse villains. Who knows if that's what the movie will actually be about, though. Even then, it feels like a really Big Concept and I wonder if Watts has what it takes to handle it coherently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

More likely the tentacles integrate some Stark nano bots from Peter’s costume during their fight.

Oooh, good catch. Maybe they fix the neural link thing and Ock's able to be more rational and in control of the arms instead of them controlling him?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I figured it out. At the end of the trailer when Strange says they’re starting to come through? There’s really only one option.

That’s right.

You guessed it.

KNULL AND SYMBIOTES TIME, BAYBEE

Welcome to the Venomverse.

also why has it taken it this long to do a redo on black suit Spidey (at least I'm hoping)

edit: don't think they would do it, but if they have the alternate universe characters glitch a la Spiderverse, that would increase my enjoyment of the movie a ton

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it's pretty clear they edited out the other spiders in the shot where Holland is going against Electro, Sandman, and Lizard. Lizard leaps at nothing and isn't looking at Holland at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Sorry, I mean the rules of how the universes interact. Like, can you travel to the past of Everyone-Is-A-Cartoon-Animal World, or is it just another universe where everything is exactly like Everyone-Is-A-Cartoon-Animal World, except just a few years earlier?

Yes, kinda. Those rules however are less based on multiverse travel. Marvels tends to tie the rules to the particular device being used. For example, while general time travel in the marvel universe is considered to be traveling to an alternate version of your universe at the point you're traveling to, stuff like doom's time platform has been stated to be an actual time machine that will specifically travel within the timeline of the particular universe.

Reed has the bridge which basically connects to a nexus from which you can then go to other universes with a nexus gate. I think the TVA treats branching timelines as universe. Kang does multiverse/time travel in his own way. I don't think Marvel has ever tried to make any of them work within a particular set of rules.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's pretty clear they edited out the other spiders in the shot where Holland is going against Electro, Sandman, and Lizard. Lizard leaps at nothing and isn't looking at Holland at all.

What if this lizard is dumb as hell

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do also enjoy the prospect of Mr. Strange getting sassed by teenagers for a whole film.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lizard getting phantom punched is not an edit. It's from the Brazilian version of the trailer.

https://twitter.com/SonyPicturesBr/status/1460783301380214787

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Also I don't think that's two seperate Goblins, as in Norman and Harry. I think it's just Norman and in the bridge scene he is in his original suit, but at the construction scene finale he's updated to a new one with just goggles on. Also, I reckon he's the main villain, and it'll be just him, Electro and Ock for most of it and only the finale will have Sandman/Lizard in it, thus making "they all died" not a contradiction and explaining Strange's "there's more coming through".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Welcome to the Venomverse.

also why has it taken it this long to do a redo on black suit Spidey (at least I'm hoping)

edit: don't think they would do it, but if they have the alternate universe characters glitch a la Spiderverse, that would increase my enjoyment of the movie a ton

An older Spidey showing up in a Raimi-style suit and then the mask is ripped off... to reveal Jake Johnson, would legit get a cheer from me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I do also enjoy the prospect of Mr. Strange getting sassed by teenagers for a whole film.

Doctor.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like how very briefly with electro it will flash his classic lightning bolt mask across his face

Also, does it look like one of the shots is the Spider-Armor suit? The old, Web of Spider-man 100, literal metal armor

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mr. Doctor?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife asked and I couldn’t answer. What’s the Scooby Doo reference/phrase mean?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

IUG posted:

My wife asked and I couldn’t answer. What’s the Scooby Doo reference/phrase mean?

Presumably just a plucky group of teens solving a problem that by all accounts should be beyond their means

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gavok posted:

Lizard getting phantom punched is not an edit. It's from the Brazilian version of the trailer.

https://twitter.com/SonyPicturesBr/status/1460783301380214787

That's Ant-Man getting a hit in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JordanKai posted:

That's Ant-Man Drax getting a hit in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CzarChasm posted:

I like how very briefly with electro it will flash his classic lightning bolt mask across his face

Also, does it look like one of the shots is the Spider-Armor suit? The old, Web of Spider-man 100, literal metal armor
Yeah I thought it looked like the Spider-Armor, but I wonder if it was a reflection off of that black suit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That Electro redesign was dope. Way better than Baby Blue from the TASM movie.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

JordanKai posted:

That's Ant-Man getting a hit in.

It's going be Venom.

:v: And then the internet will be torn as they can't hate Tom Hardy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it would be bizarre if literally every leak about this movie was true except that macguire and garfield are in it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s actually the emissary of hell, spider-man, that’s in this movie

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

CzarChasm posted:

This was very cool and a neat bit of costume design that I think fits super well

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everyone's all blah blah Maguire and Garfield and, as for me, if I don't get Spider-Ham I burn the theater down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s actually the emissary of hell, spider-man, that’s in this movie

Oscar contender if true

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's "Strange."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's weird that of the Sinister 6 the sixth one they seem to be rolling with is a second Goblin. I mean Topher Grace Venom and Rhino were options, and I guess it wouldn't play with their multiverse schtick but Vulture is right there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

It's weird that of the Sinister 6 the sixth one they seem to be rolling with is a second Goblin. I mean Topher Grace Venom and Rhino were options, and I guess it wouldn't play with their multiverse schtick but Vulture is right there.
I am hearing otherwise, also Tom Hardy Venom is in the MCU verse now
https://twitter.com/RPK_NEWS1/status/1460792420656992264

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I figured it out. At the end of the trailer when Strange says they’re starting to come through? There’s really only one option.

That’s right.

You guessed it.

KNULL AND SYMBIOTES TIME, BAYBEE

No, Mephesto! No wait Annhilation! Oh no Galacticus!

Also the mid credits sequence better be setting up Dr Strange 2 where America punches her way into the MCU and goes "who the gently caress broke the multiverse???"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think it's obvious that the "sixth member" is actually Spider-Man as he tries to help them escape their deaths. Kinda like in Ultimate Six way back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JordanKai posted:

If you're going to ask a question please don't make it extremely loaded like you did here. That's begging for trouble.

My apologies. I apparently misremembered Gamergate - Anti-sjw - alt right - DC fanboys as being one big conglomerate of overlapping Venn diagrams

It's nice to know Snyder put the trash where it belongs.