Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dicey dungeons is 75% off. I think people in this thread indicated it's fun? If you're using dice, it sounds like it's really RNG heavy

It's a good if relatively simple and easy roguelike. There is RNG in the dice rolls yes but the whole game is built around that. With most characters you'll be strategizing your build each run to be able to make use of most dice rolls in one way or other. And each character has their own gimmicks to give variety and they're all fun to play except witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

They claim it's pronounced "8bitdoo" but that's totally a cover so they don't get sued, it's so intended to have been "8bitdoh" and I won't say it any other way.

ive always pronounced it doo. why would it be doh. i guess it would sound a little bit like nintendo. if you squint (your ears)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

8 Bit D'oh

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The SN30 Pro+/2 are great and all but you should all buy the M30 too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

fr0id posted:

Playing the switch in handheld mode with the default joycons is causing me hand pain, especially in my right thumb. What are some good replacement joycons, particularly for any folks who have had a similar issue.

Hori Split Pad. Satisfye is nice but it still uses the joycons. Get the Pad for max comfort.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got a 8bitdo Pro2, but I find it less comfortable then my Switch Pro, but it's hard to articulate how/why, it feels subtly smaller or something, or maybe it's just the stick placement or the shoulder design? I don't even have big hands.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I got a 8bitdo Pro2, but I find it less comfortable then my Switch Pro, but it's hard to articulate how/why, it feels subtly smaller or something, or maybe it's just the stick placement or the shoulder design? I don't even have big hands.

I like the Switch Pro controller more too. I've totally Kramered into this thread but for comfortable hands Split Pad Pro is the way to go over Satisfye. I have both and the joycons just aren't comfortable no matter what grip you put on them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oxyclean posted:

At this point, I'm glad I haven't played with a pro controller, because I can't imagine the 8bitdo Pro + not feeling comfortable as hell.

The dpad is :kiss: too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barreft posted:

Hori Split Pad. Satisfye is nice but it still uses the joycons. Get the Pad for max comfort.
What about the binboks?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At this point, I'm glad I haven't played with a pro controller, because I can't imagine the 8bitdo Pro + not feeling comfortable as hell.

The dpad is :kiss: too.
Yeah, at the very least, it makes for an excellent Dpad controller. Glad I waited till I had it to replay through AM2R.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The United States posted:

What about the binboks?

I actually posted a pic of the binboks earlier. The bottom is very bulbous and actually not very comfortable. The Hori is more like regular controllers. I'll try and find the pic.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What about a Binbok on the right and a Hori on the left?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What about the binboks?

Here you go

Binboks on top.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

b_d posted:

ah both the profile switcher AND the physical platform switch are only on the pro2. the only advantage of the pro+ i see is that it has the option for the concave+convex face buttons. but i can get tthat with the non-pro one that i'm also going to buy. :D thanks goon's edit: sorry, i'm not getting a non-pro, i'm buying a pro regular. the one with the analog sticks but no grips. thanks. i AM however getting an adaptoer to plug in actual snes controllers.

lol

If you're willing to open it up, the buttons are all compatible between models, and compatible with any SNES or SNES replacement buttons (same for membranes).

Barreft posted:

I like the Switch Pro controller more too. I've totally Kramered into this thread but for comfortable hands Split Pad Pro is the way to go over Satisfye. I have both and the joycons just aren't comfortable no matter what grip you put on them.

I love the Split Pad Pro, but it's disappointing that there's no attachment to use them wirelessly in console mode. Fortunately, that will soon be fixed! (E: no wireless, wired only - still useful?)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

b_d posted:

ive always pronounced it doo. why would it be doh. i guess it would sound a little bit like nintendo. if you squint (your ears)

They got their start ripping off Nintendo controllers. This was their original logo.

They 100% intended it to be "doh."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

repiv posted:

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center and they fixed that on the pro2

sorry you can't unsee that now
The pro+ seems to have centered them between the right side of the D-pad and the Y button rather than the center of the entire controller. Personally it doesn't bother me at all. I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Pro 2s rule

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barreft posted:

I actually posted a pic of the binboks earlier. The bottom is very bulbous and actually not very comfortable. The Hori is more like regular controllers. I'll try and find the pic.

Barreft posted:

Here you go

Binboks on top.
drat that looks bad. RIP binboks. Too bad, they had batteries so they could work wirelessly. Maybe they needed that space for 'em.

Stickman posted:

If you're willing to open it up, the buttons are all compatible between models, and compatible with any SNES or SNES replacement buttons (same for membranes).

I love the Split Pad Pro, but it's disappointing that there's no attachment to use them wirelessly in console mode. Fortunately, that will soon be fixed!

That looks wired to me

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat that looks bad. RIP binboks. Too bad, they had batteries so they could work wirelessly. Maybe they needed that space for 'em.

That looks wired to me

Yeah I dunno what that Hori connector is, unless it's just copying the binboks. never got that with my superior regular hori split pad

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That looks wired to me

Shoot, you're right. The tweet I pulled that from mentioned wireless so I was assuming the wire was detachable, but it explicitly says "not wireless" in the description. Still works for me because I just want to use them in console mode and sit next to the console, but not great for the couch.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

baba is you update tomorrow! Level creator, bunch of new puzzles, and lots of new words and objects.

https://youtu.be/U4W_9rfjSus

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Postman posted:

baba is you update tomorrow! Level creator, bunch of new puzzles, and lots of new words and objects.

https://youtu.be/U4W_9rfjSus
My brain tensed up in fear of the pain it's about to go through

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

i previously had an sf30 pro, the one that was just a super famicom controller plus thumbsticks, so i haven't tried their grips. i hope it's not too bad.

i have very mixed feelings about the switch pro controller because it's extremely high quality in every single way except that the d-pad is so bad i don't want to use it for anything that reads diagonals, which is most of the stuff i play. and just philosophically (?) it's hosed up that they made such a bad d-pad when they used to make almost exclusively great d-pads. and it's not like this one is constricted by the design, like the drifty joycon sticks. they just made it bad and they could easily fix it.

so i loving hate the pro controller. but it's really good. i have strong feelings about d-pads.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They got their start ripping off Nintendo controllers. This was their original logo.

They 100% intended it to be "doh."

"ripping off" is a weird way to put it. it's not like they tried to pass the designs off as their own; they were clear homages. i understand why nintendo would shut that down, but purely from a consumer perspective, it's a (minor) loss.

but yeah that logo makes it clear it was intended to be "ate BIT doh". which is dumb. and the logo sucks. so no loss there.

Barreft posted:

Here you go

Binboks on top.

barreft you KNow i have your back. but this photo sucks poo poo. it's incredibly bad. are you using a flip phone from 2008.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
pro controller d-pad is horrible. i cant continue to play kyukyoku tiger on my switch until i get a stick for it. great for 3d games though

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

b_d posted:

i previously had an sf30 pro, the one that was just a super famicom controller plus thumbsticks, so i haven't tried their grips. i hope it's not too bad.

i have very mixed feelings about the switch pro controller because it's extremely high quality in every single way except that the d-pad is so bad i don't want to use it for anything that reads diagonals, which is most of the stuff i play. and just philosophically (?) it's hosed up that they made such a bad d-pad when they used to make almost exclusively great d-pads. and it's not like this one is constricted by the design, like the drifty joycon sticks. they just made it bad and they could easily fix it.

so i loving hate the pro controller. but it's really good. i have strong feelings about d-pads.

"ripping off" is a weird way to put it. it's not like they tried to pass the designs off as their own; they were clear homages. i understand why nintendo would shut that down, but purely from a consumer perspective, it's a (minor) loss.

but yeah that logo makes it clear it was intended to be "ate BIT doh". which is dumb. and the logo sucks. so no loss there.

barreft you KNow i have your back. but this photo sucks poo poo. it's incredibly bad. are you using a flip phone from 2008.

I was really drat high and turned over in bed and took a pic on my phone in the dark. That's way more effort than I usually put in!

e: also you can see how huge the bottom is, unless you got massive man ring fingers and pinkies it stiffs up your tendons quick.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 17, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i solved maybe like 10-15 puzzles in baba is you before i was blocked by stumpers in all directions. i'm sure i could work some of them out by going back to them and messing around but i'm not doing that. it made me extremely aware of how stupid i am. i don't like it. great game! amazing design. never gonna play it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought metroid dread at launch and found the controls really frustrating, Ultimately quitting at Kraid because it was annoying me too much. Last week I decided to fire it back up and whomped kraid on my first try, then proceeded to make a bunch of progress and started really enjoying the game. Today I figured I'd knock another chunk out and...My save is from like, an hour into the game. I have saved like 20 times since then. I have turned the game off and on multiple times. Lost 80% of my progress for no discernible reason. How does something like that even happen? I'm simultaneously so pissed off and disappointed I never want to touch this game again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a good if relatively simple and easy roguelike. There is RNG in the dice rolls yes but the whole game is built around that. With most characters you'll be strategizing your build each run to be able to make use of most dice rolls in one way or other. And each character has their own gimmicks to give variety and they're all fun to play except witch.

Sounds like it's worth $3.74. Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

i solved maybe like 10-15 puzzles in baba is you before i was blocked by stumpers in all directions. i'm sure i could work some of them out by going back to them and messing around but i'm not doing that. it made me extremely aware of how stupid i am. i don't like it. great game! amazing design. never gonna play it.
Yeah, I made it maybe 30 puzzles in before it started to truly hurt my brain, and the solving process was nowhere near as rewarding as something like Picross, so I gave up.

More power to the people who are good at it though, might be the most creative game I've ever seen, gonna be wild to see what custom puzzles people come up with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

b_d posted:

I have a Pro 2 and I dunno what Oxyclean is talking about, it feels great. Best controller I own, easily, and I wish I could use it on my PS4, but the DS4 is fine so it doesn't really matter. I find the layout of the wired third-party Pro Controller I have (which looks to be the same as the official Pro Controller) much less comfortable, though I suppose it's because I've never owned an Xbox or an official Microsoft gamepad, which is the general layout the Switch Pro seems to be going for.

Stickman posted:

I love the Split Pad Pro, but it's disappointing that there's no attachment to use them wirelessly in console mode. Fortunately, that will soon be fixed!

Interesting, looks like a wired adapter with a passthrough for headphones and maybe PC support? I can't read much of what's going on there, but at the bottom of the page there's a PC section that mentions XInput and DInput.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Commander Keene posted:

Interesting, looks like a wired adapter with a passthrough for headphones and maybe PC support? I can't read much of what's going on there, but at the bottom of the page there's a PC section that mentions XInput and DInput.

I think the wire shown is a headphone cord (based on the url posted earlier).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

veni veni veni posted:

I bought metroid dread at launch and found the controls really frustrating, Ultimately quitting at Kraid because it was annoying me too much. Last week I decided to fire it back up and whomped kraid on my first try, then proceeded to make a bunch of progress and started really enjoying the game. Today I figured I'd knock another chunk out and...My save is from like, an hour into the game. I have saved like 20 times since then. I have turned the game off and on multiple times. Lost 80% of my progress for no discernible reason. How does something like that even happen? I'm simultaneously so pissed off and disappointed I never want to touch this game again.

Did you possibly load up a different profile?

Alternatively, does somebody else in your household also use your Switch, and possibly overwrote your progress with theirs?

Do you have cloud saves? Check that too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Did you possibly load up a different profile?

Alternatively, does somebody else in your household also use your Switch, and possibly overwrote your progress with theirs?

Do you have cloud saves? Check that too.

Yeah that sounds so weird. Something must've gotten hosed up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think the wire shown is a headphone cord (based on the url posted earlier).
I see the cord coming out of the top in literally every picture on the site, I think that's a USB cable for the grip. It also looks like it has a headphone jack on the bottom that you can plug wired headphones into in order to get passthrough audio.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I see the cord coming out of the top in literally every picture on the site, I think that's a USB cable for the grip. It also looks like it has a headphone jack on the bottom that you can plug wired headphones into in order to get passthrough audio.

Use Hori Pad for handheld, Switch Pro/8bitdo for dock. A Hori Pad controller itself sounds terrible.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I misinterpreted the original tweet I got the link from. The Hori Spit Pad adapter is just wired, no wireless. It's a little disappointing that they didn't go all-in, but it'll still be nice to use them in console mode!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's pointless since it has no rumble/etc. Unless it now does which I've been building up my blitzball team and also watching AEW videos so I'm out of the loop

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

mycophobia posted:

pro controller d-pad is horrible. i cant continue to play kyukyoku tiger on my switch until i get a stick for it. great for 3d games though

I got some freak fixed version because I find it incredible for shmups. It’s unfortunate wired controllers add a frame of lag for some reason. I wonder if a stick with a brook wireless board would be better for the Switch.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dicey dungeons is 75% off. I think people in this thread indicated it's fun? If you're using dice, it sounds like it's really RNG heavy

I picked it up and for that price it's well worth it. It gives the same "one more run" itch as Slay the Spire. Good variety in the characters and their variant runs, though some of the challenges feel like total BS (and others cake-walkey).

I've had my fair share of unwinnable games so far in some of the challenges but it's so quick to try again that they don't bother me too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

1719 days no Pocket Card Jockey sequel what the hell