Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

if I walked away from that with minor injuries I would 100% believe I was immortal, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TACD posted:

if I walked away from that with minor injuries I would 100% believe I was immortal, wtf

the power of engineering

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
more like the power of background effect

(people die from this poo poo all day every loving day)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please do not blow the engineers it's how we got to this point

munce
Oct 23, 2010

A classic from 2019

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

take_it_slow posted:

This! Look up “direct drive” or “daylight drive” solar. Doxxing myself a bit here, but the farm I’m living on (still not a cult) is extensively employing this tech. We have a dc well pump that pulls water up 250 ft, moves it 1/4 mile to the house, and pressurizes our tanks to 60+ psi, at 10 gpm, on 180 volts of solar.
Edit: it’s a gruñidos sqflex; it’s been going strong for five years now. Obviously, there are a lot of different pumps depending on your specific situation, but I just want to emphasize that this is way more important and worth investing in than a battery system, and will work just fine without one. PM me if you’ve got any questions.

Thanks so much! I’ll give this a look :cheers:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

I can’t even figure out the make of the car, lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

didn't expect to see this in the X-Men Green comic, it's very honest about what's happening now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tabletops posted:

idk what people are on here. the pnw is absolutely one of the best places to weather cc in the USA. our understanding of the likely effects here are in some ways positive, and negative in others. the negatives are very mitigatable(not a word). our power grid is very safe, and we have a lot of expansion possibilities wrt offshore wind, tidal and other ocean based generation technologies. we have untapped geothermal, onshore wind and lots of room to expand it.

things like the the river washouts in BC are solved here in population centers already via extensive channelization and damming in the nisqually, duwamish, carbon, white, skykomish, cowlitz, etc.

there are washouts and floods in every river in the pnw almost every year, as that’s just the ecological norm of our seasonal weather patterns (drought, rainy. our two seasons). it’s been that way for at least the last 50,000 years in the wake of glacial recession.

changes from gc will just be more extremes: more rain, worse snowfall events (but unknown frequency, historical data shows fluctuations in snow frequency patterns to be stable to less often in the last 150 years), higher summer temps.

note that I’m not saying that it’s inconsequential, just that comparatively, it’s much more easily mitigated and will not make life much worse unlike the Midwest, southwest, northeast parts of the USA where significant portions will become quite literally uninhabitable for large populations.

this is of course discounting the international geopolitical and economic fallout which will gently caress everything up for everyone amen

what parts of the Midwest do you think will become "literally uninhabitable?"

also what about that whole super overdue pnw megaearthquake

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Minrad posted:

every day i drive over a bridge across the arkansas river, and all i can think about is when a bridge over the arkansas river collapsed and killed like two dozen people when a barge hit it. i also used to cross that bridge before it collapsed. lol. lmao

i dunno how high the winding overpasses of freeways in oakland are, but some of them are definitely "oh poo poo, we'd die if this fell apart and were unlucky enough to be on" tall. :rip: to everyone when the inevitable happens. :/

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

take_it_slow posted:

This! Look up “direct drive” or “daylight drive” solar. Doxxing myself a bit here, but the farm I’m living on (still not a cult) is extensively employing this tech. We have a dc well pump that pulls water up 250 ft, moves it 1/4 mile to the house, and pressurizes our tanks to 60+ psi, at 10 gpm, on 180 volts of solar.
Edit: it’s a gruñidos sqflex; it’s been going strong for five years now. Obviously, there are a lot of different pumps depending on your specific situation, but I just want to emphasize that this is way more important and worth investing in than a battery system, and will work just fine without one. PM me if you’ve got any questions.

Do you have a list of the tech/tools you utilize? I would absolutely love to see it if it exists, I'm very interested in putting together a "shot to invest in" list as I'm buying property soon. I've got to get the gently caress out of the city.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

actionjackson posted:

what parts of the Midwest do you think will become "literally uninhabitable?"

also what about that whole super overdue pnw megaearthquake

essentially west of 100, east of the Rockies, and the entire southwest as the Colorado rivershed eventually dries up

the earthquake thing is whatever. it could happen tomorrow. could happen in two million years. kinda pointless to worry about.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also the Ogallala Aquifer is on track to be largely drawn down by mid-century

lol, lmao, etc.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

bunch of water addicts on the forums smdh i remember when these streets used to be clean, damnit :corsair:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tabletops posted:

essentially west of 100, east of the Rockies, and the entire southwest as the Colorado rivershed eventually dries up

the earthquake thing is whatever. it could happen tomorrow. could happen in two million years. kinda pointless to worry about.
I think AJ is silly to call it overdue, but the cascadia subduction zone really goes off anywhere between every 200-900 years. The last few intervals are 780, 210, 330, and 910. The last big quake was about 320 years ago. Not exactly "super overdue" but I don't think it is pointless to worry about either.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://youtu.be/m9QJovMJtLo

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I used to worry about the big quake. Not so much anymore. Long-term planning is a lot shorter-term than it used to be.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

pfffft pnw megaquake baby tier "will it wont it" event, dethroned by east laptev pre-formed methane pocket punching out the ozone layer

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
good evening

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1460821897810173955

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

they're right but not for the reasons u might think

if we launch enough musks into the sun it will dim enough to save us

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

short of a climate dictator it’s not wrong. you’d need people to do it without feeling it or they won’t. though it doesn’t matter cause we’re 40 years too late anyway

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I used to worry about the big quake. Not so much anymore. Long-term planning is a lot shorter-term than it used to be.
I wouldn’t worry too much but like, thinking about having some food and water around and how you would respond in such a disaster if your house isn’t on top of you is probably a good exercise.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
A century ago, Sumas in the Fraser Valley was a vast inland lake.

https://www.abbotsford.ca/alerts/evacuation-order-and-alerts-issued-localized-areas

https://twitter.com/ty_olsen/status/1460818805525860352?s=20

It is currently becoming a lake again, because the Noosack river in Washington has been diverted north (diverted south by the last eruption of Mt Baker) and the Barrowtown Pumping Station (the second busiest pumping station in North America) is failing after its pipes have burst. Several hundred thousand acres are about to be submerged beneath raging floodwaters, with no way to drain them.

This isn't the exciting thing, though. Nor is that every road and rail link out of the lower mainland is, as of tonight, destroyed with no date of re-opening. They might have the longest and most treacherous route, the 99, open by next week.

No. This is the real poo poo: This has not been publicly announced, the government is keeping it quiet to avoid a panic. I, being a big-brained individual with connections in places, am in on some poo poo:

https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1460731733427449858

Bobbing there in the Coquihalla River, where its protective road has been ripped off, is 200m of the Trans Mountain Pipeline. The 60+ year old, 300,000bpd oil & fuel link between the pacific coast and Alberta. This pipe carries 90% of the refined fuels supplied to British Columbia. It provides 10-15% of the unrefined supply for the refineries in Washington State. This is not the only location where it has been compromised. The road to either side of this location has been totally destroyed in both directions in multiple places.

I really did not have Vancouver, British Columbia down as the first place in North America to collapse due to a climate-change induced disaster, but here we are. It's happening.

We are about to watch some serious poo poo go down over the next few weeks.

Rime has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Nov 17, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

:hmmyes:

All we have to do to solve climate change is to invent things that mean nobody has to materially change anything about their lifestyles. Yes, that seems like a resonable and plausible plan.

Also: RE: Rime's post - lol RIP

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tabletops posted:

short of a climate dictator it’s not wrong. you’d need people to do it without feeling it or they won’t. though it doesn’t matter cause we’re 40 years too late anyway

I mean, the assumption that these magical technologies actually exist and we just need more Tony Starks is actually pretty wrong.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

MightyBigMinus posted:

to be clear, this is not the new normal. this is the +1.1C normal. by the end of the decade we will be finding out what the ~+1.4C normal looks like and then we'll go on to see what the new ~+1.7C normal looks like in the decade after that. those ones are very very locked in by now, baring a miracle like cold fusion or covid-23 cutting the population by 80%.

even in a d&d lib's wildest fantasy the late-gen-x/elder-millenial goon will never see a stable climate in their remaining lifetime

Hey look a redditor

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Like the funny thing about the technophile approach to climate change is that it's actually based on completely faulty assumptions with no basis in historical fact.

There's this weird and completely incorrect idea that we have, as a species, consistently developed technological solutions to problems. We haven't. We've developed various technologies that may or may not have filled some specific need and then built our civilization around them. There generally aren't a lot of examples of humanity facing some pressing and immediate problem and coming up with a solution on the spot, especially when we don't already have an existing framework to use.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Rime posted:

https://www.abbotsford.ca/alerts/evacuation-order-and-alerts-issued-localized-areas

It is currently becoming a lake again, because the Noosack river in Washington has been diverted north (diverted south by the last eruption of Mt Baker) and the Barrowtown Pumping Station (the second busiest pumping station in North America) is failing after its pipes have burst. Several hundred thousand acres are about to be submerged beneath raging floodwaters, with no way to drain them.

This isn't the exciting thing, though. Nor is that every road and rail link out of the lower mainland is, as of tonight, destroyed with no date of re-opening. They might have the longest and most treacherous route, the 99, open by next week.

No. This is the real poo poo: This has not been publicly announced, the government is keeping it quiet to avoid a panic. I, being a big-brained individual with connections in places, am in on some poo poo:

Bobbing there in the Coquihalla River, where its protective road has been ripped off, is 200m of the Trans Mountain Pipeline. The 60+ year old, 300,000bpd oil & fuel link between the pacific coast and Alberta. This pipe carries 90% of the refined fuels supplied to British Columbia. It provides 10-15% of the unrefined supply for the refineries in Washington State. This is not the only location where it has been compromised. The road to either side of this location has been totally destroyed in both directions in multiple places.

I really did not have Vancouver, British Columbia down as the first place in North America to collapse due to a climate-change induced disaster, but here we are. It's happening.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm no expert but these seems sub-optimal

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Rime posted:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/xwriX8a.mp4

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

every time i see "thomas friedman" i wince

i remember when i was in college, i took a "human societies and globalization class" and the "professor" literally had us watch thomas friedman documentaries for half of the classes and the lexus and the olive tree was assigned reading

what a motherfucking joke

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rime posted:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm not a water scientist but I feel like "so long as these pumps keep working we can live in the bottom of a lake" is a bad idea

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if we throw enough Elon Musks at the problem one of them will eventually pay someone to invent time travel and our climate problems will be solved

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Rime posted:

lmao if North America collapses first before any other continent does

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Dog Case posted:

I'm not a water scientist but I feel like "so long as these pumps keep working we can live in the bottom of a lake" is a bad idea
Yeah, you're better off doing what Ben Shapiro suggested and just selling your flooded property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FGRkqUdf8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Peyote Panda posted:

Yeah, you're better off doing what Ben Shapiro suggested and just selling your flooded property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FGRkqUdf8

I know Hbomberguy got him good with that but I'll never forget the clip last year of Ben Shapiro praying for global warming