Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

"You can't get married until you have a house."
"I have a house... in rural Henan, 60 minutes drive away from the nearest employer!"

This is what I thought too when I saw that. I didn't say it because, gently caress it it's just an anecdote, I don't know that many people. But I live in Henan, and almost universally, everyone young person I know who owns a house is in this situation. You wanna get married, you have to have a house. You can't afford a house in Zhengzhou, because of course you can't. But you have to work in Zhengzhou, because what are you going to do in Luoyang? So you have a tiny, really crappy house in the outskirts of Kaifeng or Zhoukou. You don't actually live in it, you rent in Zhengzhou, but you can say you have a house.

crepeface posted:

this thing that could be happening is definitely happening and also its the worst possible scenario where they don't have drinkable water because of lead pipe poisoning.

The water in Henan is actually undrinkable, because of this. Everyone just kind of accepts it, and you pay for a water guy/live in a community with a communal water thing/carry a bottle to wherever they sell clean water near you.

I think it's a similar situation in most of China? I'm not sure, but definitely is in Henan though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

crepeface posted:

sorry didnt read past this bit of the stream of consciousness brain dump

those crazy mexicans and their well known racial propensity for getting help from their parents

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

BrainDance posted:

This is what I thought too when I saw that. I didn't say it because, gently caress it it's just an anecdote, I don't know that many people. But I live in Henan, and almost universally, everyone young person I know who owns a house is in this situation. You wanna get married, you have to have a house. You can't afford a house in Zhengzhou, because of course you can't. But you have to work in Zhengzhou, because what are you going to do in Luoyang? So you have a tiny, really crappy house in the outskirts of Kaifeng or Zhoukou. You don't actually live in it, you rent in Zhengzhou, but you can say you have a house.

The water in Henan is actually undrinkable, because of this. Everyone just kind of accepts it, and you pay for a water guy/live in a community with a communal water thing/carry a bottle to wherever they sell clean water near you.

I think it's a similar situation in most of China? I'm not sure, but definitely is in Henan though.

sounds way better than the US right now

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

THS2 posted:

Have you been to Henan?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

BrainDance posted:

Have you been to Henan?

Is it getting worse and is there no hope in the next 30 years of healthcare or help from anyone

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

have you been to.. East Austin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

even if we accept that chinese millennials dont own real homes just crappy ones in the middle of nowhere to appease their inscrutable neoconfucian cultural stratum the graph still shows that one a fuckton of chinese millennials can apparently buy homes without their parents help two that apparently its nearly impossible to buy homes without parental help in any other country anybody bothered to measure and three the alternative to not having a crappy home in the middle of nowhere is just not having a home at all its not like millennials in other countries are just sitting on mounds of cash they could use to invest in a crappy home in the middle of nowhere if they felt like it

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

THS2 posted:

have you been to.. East Austin

bruh

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BrainDance posted:

idk about henan, but it sounds like it's because of a drought?

what i'm objecting to is taking anecdotes or individual problems and immediately jumping to the least generous extrapolation of a national crisis resulting from the evil ccp's nefarious plans that's not even that bad.

THS2 posted:

wb buddy, what happened to your old account?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

crepeface posted:

wb buddy, what happened to your old account?

killed it and replaced it with this trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObroc0QC-U

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

I got too panicked to the old account and no one is allowed to reference my previous beliefs.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

btw if anyone has an article about this chinese millennials are buying lovely homes in the middle of nowhere phemonenon id be very interested in reading it even if its something thats written in chinese that id have to run through a translator

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
r.i.p the old flesh

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

strategically and within a Marxist lens, I am still extremely pro the current Chinese state. Doing great, in my estimation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

crepeface posted:

what i'm objecting to is taking anecdotes or individual problems and immediately jumping to the least generous extrapolation of a national crisis resulting from the evil ccp's nefarious plans that's not even that bad.

I'm not trying for the least generous thing, I'm trying to square the statistics from that graph with the experience of all the Chinese millennials I talk to, whose pay in no way measures up to being able to buy a house in the place they work without assistance. Maybe I just meet poor people idk?

Are things worse in the US? Sure looks like it. Am I interested in that? Not really, never intend to visit.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

I'm not trying for the least generous thing, I'm trying to square the statistics from that graph with the experience of all the Chinese millennials I talk to, whose pay in no way measures up to being able to buy a house in the place they work without assistance. Maybe I just meet poor people idk?

Are things worse in the US? Sure looks like it. Am I interested in that? Not really, never intend to visit.

thing are much worse in the US, and we aren't doing well. I work at a landfill and it's constant panic attacks to get the trash going. maybe you should get some perspective.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
got confused.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

THS2 posted:

Is it getting worse and is there no hope in the next 30 years of healthcare or help from anyone

Actually yeah.

I love Henan, and don't see myself being someplace else, but life is really hard for a lot of Henan, it shares a lot of problems with the US.

The normal wages for Henan are very low compared to a lot of other places in China. I guess the comparison you could make between most places in Henan and Shanghai is like California and rural Kentucky or something, especially outside of Zhengzhou. I feel like the gap is probably even bigger than that, relatively, though. You have a lot of people in Henan who have to travel very far for work, the factories will pay you 2000rmb a month usually, but the hours are pretty nuts. People used to be farmers around here, and there are definitely lots of farmers still, but their income has plummeted (relatively) and become pretty unstable since it depends on so many parts of the market which for the past few years have been unstable too. A lot of them, around here at least, are getting by on maybe 1000rmb to 2000rmb a month.

Because of this, because you need money to take care of kids, you got cities where more children are "left behind," 留守儿童, than not. It gets rough.

There are large kind of corporate farms like you have in America, too. That is not what most of the farmers in Henan are.

China does not have universal healthcare. It has subsidized healthcare in some places but, still, on a Henan wage most healthcare is way beyond your reach. So for a lot of people they're stuck with basically the same option people have in America, there's a very similar app to gofundme in China, and it's mostly people asking for donations for medical care.

I'm from Michigan, the part that got a netflix series, so I know how it can get in America.

In Zhengzhou if you're a college graduate it seems like the standard wage is 3500 a month, you can make more sometimes though. Then like everywhere in China, there's a huge, huge gap between normal wages and then a group of people making an absolutely insane wage, people who work in "property" usually, and that fucks up the average.

It doesn't help that the rest of China judges the gently caress out of people from Henan, and it's mostly because people are poor here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lightningproof posted:

definitely the most striking thing was the general sentiment that tomorrow had something in it that would be worth waking up for

yeah it owns, as an american it was quite a pleasant change

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

drat that all owns. the US is not like that at all.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-RBJNqdnoM

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

crepeface posted:

The drinkable water thing? That's a thing, but even outside of drought the water is just like that and has been for apparently my fiancée's entire life at least, it's the pipes from what I've been told.

That's kind of two separate things, you got the lead in the water and that's one reason you cant drink the water. But then sometimes they say the water is also not safe because of bacteria in it, for completely different reasons. Like we just had the Zhengzhou flood, and they were telling us not to use the tap for anything at all for a while after that. (not that I could, the flood knocked out the water completely from where I lived and we didn't get it back for two weeks.)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that sucks, I was making a joke about flint tbh

edit: don't china have some kind of east-west province partnership thing?

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Nov 17, 2021

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

THS2 posted:

it's all technically Taiwan assets so I don't know how you can confuse that with US control, or with the militarization of the Korean peninsula, or the continued military occupation of Japan.

i was referring to the october crisis aka the "cuban missile crisis"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

which was obviously entirely justified considering the whole thing started with jupiter missiles being placed in turkey. i just thought it was a funny choice of analogy since there's historical precedent

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

btw if anyone has an article about this chinese millennials are buying lovely homes in the middle of nowhere phemonenon id be very interested in reading it even if its something thats written in chinese that id have to run through a translator

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1007741/china-fantasizes-about-a-low-desire-life

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1008119/less-than-eden-chinas-rural-returnees-face-an-uncertain-future

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Peng Shuai posted a fairly lengthy, rambling weibo post.

It's a little hard to follow, as it isn't a chronological description of events and isn't intended to be, but basically:

She and Zhang had an affair that started 10 years ago, before he rose to the Politburo. He would have been the party secretary for Tianjin at this point, (still a pretty powerful position) and I guess in his late 60s, while Peng would have been in her mid 20s. 7 years ago (so 3 or 4 years later), Zhang left for Beijing to assume to Politburo position and never contacted her again. 3 years ago, he contacted her again, took her home, and (in her words) "forced her to have sex with him." She doesn't suggest that their previous affair wasn't consensual or use that description again. After this, she had dinner with Zhang and his wife. It's intimated that Zhang's wife was generally aware of the affair.

It's debatable whether "forced her to have sex" in this context meant he literally forced himself on her, or that she was cajoled or manipulated, but the remainder of the post is basically her complaining that:

- Despite having real feelings for him (at least, at the time of the earlier affair), she regrets having the affair with him because she couldn't stand being a mistress, and also his wife (who was aware of the affair) was kind of mean to her.

- She specifically compares his wife to the queen in a popular palace intrigue TV show set in the Qing dynasty, and herself to one of the downtrodden concubines who is presumably bullied by the queen (I haven't seen the show myself).

- She was tired of lying to her parents about it.

- She never received any money or favors from him (a lot of the western media uses the word "corruption" in their reporting, but Peng is pretty unequivocal in her post that Zhang did not offer her any other "benefits" for her time).

- He promised her "an explanation" on Nov 2 (when this post was made) and then fobbed her off again, hence this post. I'm not sure what her expectation was here - that he would divorce his wife and marry her? She doesn't say that but the rest of the post kind of implies something akin to that.

It's possible that there was at least one sexual encounter between them that was less than consensual, but if it was, Peng isn't (in her post) seeking any redress for it, but rather the whole post reads like an emo post by a jilted teenage girlfriend.

The consensus amongst my circle is that it almost certainly is true, because who would make something like that up? Zhang doesn't even come off particularly badly in the story - Peng does not accuse him of corruption or abuse of power (which would be pretty serious allegations), his wife didn't even seem to object to the affair, he's just what you kids would call a "fuccboi". I highly doubt Peng herself is in any real trouble, since again, her allegations are pretty mild, her weibo account is still live and her other posts are still up, I would guess that she's probably just lying low and off social media for a bit after sobering up.

is there a feminine version of the word simp because that seems like a better description of her attitude than concubine

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1460879126424956933?s=20

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's a threat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Peter Daou Zen posted:

at that age your interests should be improving the People's wellbeing, not plowing the fields of 20 somethings.

What if he was just really into tennis though?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atopian posted:

People keep talking about the government recruiting former training centre teachers as public school teachers, but lol.
They could have, but they didn't.
They could have had a whole response for this set up ahead of time, and they didn't.
The timing of all this was chosen by the government, there was no immediate rush, they could have developed a transition plan for workers and companies and all that stuff, but they didn't.

And let's be clear, the private education industry in China was a sewer that needed cleaning. But instead the government blew it up, and now everything is covered in poo poo.

Regarding public teaching jobs in China: there are none available anywhere anyone would want to work. They are already taken by friends and family of school principals, etc. Highly prized, fought over, all that stuff.
There are lots of teaching jobs available... halfway up a mountain in Yunnan. So if you, a city-born, city-educated person want to drop your expensive, exclusive hukou, and haul halfway up a mountain, leaving behind your family support network that is so essential as to be assumed in China, then great, go do that.
Stuff about the Tibetan plateau, sure, lots of jobs there. Except, the wages and prices and... everything in China is strongly balanced around someone having a lot of help from nearby parents. House prices. Childcare services. Lots more. If you don't have that, you're screwed, and the best you can hope for is that things will be better for your grandchildren if you work hard, because you and probably your children are not going to have a good time.

So for normal people in the real world, they can't go get those public school teaching jobs.

Now, an actual legitimate response to the education industry being vile would have been Nationalise loving Everything.

Just take it. Take it all, dump price controls on the classes, cut out the vast markup and have the government run it not-for-profit. Bam, done.
No crying parents, no despairing teachers. Bosses and investors suffer, but gently caress them.

As it is, most of the people suffering from this are working class (the teachers) and lower-middle-class (the parents).
All the rich people have their children in private schools that offer all the tutoring anyone could want, internally.
And the rich people who owned these centres frequently managed to bail with a few months of operating budget because classes are paid in advance, so while they're disrupted, they're hurt less than the people below them.

This could have been avoided, but it wasn't.

this all sounds completely reasonable and correct and i wish i would've qualified my argument with this. i guess the CCP just decided that trying to take control over this morass of existing private schools wouldve been too much work, and probably wouldve turned into a prolonged circus on its own. nationalization of a single company like alibaba has been hard enough for the CCP, cant imagine what trying to integrate a thousand private school hierarchies infested with sexpests and pissed off owner-managers would be like

still, it was definately badly conducted without proper preparations

quote:

Regarding public teaching jobs in China: there are none available anywhere anyone would want to work. They are already taken by friends and family of school principals, etc. Highly prized, fought over, all that stuff.
There are lots of teaching jobs available... halfway up a mountain in Yunnan.
right, and when you have all the possible people who might want to go be a teacher in Yuannan competing for private school jobs in Shanghai, because they pay wages so above public school rates, you end up with this glut of teachers in centers of capital, and gently caress the periphery. there really isnt anything you can do about, except remove the cause of that abnormal concentration

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

is there a feminine version of the word simp because that seems like a better description of her attitude than concubine

Good news, simp is gender neutral

Though could be more gold digger

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1460628770847707138

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Nice to see the UK exporting stuff of negative value

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
anything ever worn by a nazi is tainted by the nazi vapours

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
re: crackdown on tutoring schools/homework, i wonder how much it's going to affect the myopia epidemic

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
e: oops

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh no not the alpine! Anything but the alpine!

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Full english translation of the CPC's historical resolution from the plenum thing. Don't have time to read the whole thing now but seems interesting.

http://www.news.cn/english/2021-11/16/c_1310314611.htm

"We must remain on guard against the erosive influence of Western trends of political thought, including the so-called constitutionalism, alternation of power between political parties, and separation of powers."

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My impression of the historical resolution

* not much change of the Mao part, remain 1981 resolution of condemning Mao's late economic and domestic policies.
* not much change to the Deng part, remain positive praise to the Deng economic reform, but less coverage. Also hint at change from the Deng ideology of "continue economic reform" to a new economic phase.
* no new verdict on Tiananmen but phrase it in a softer tone (政治风波 translate to "political storm/trouble" which is a neutral word, not calling it a riot or tumult, mention "foreign actors" but doesn't say anything about "students" and what have you
* long coverage of Xi's 2 terms including lot of detail of the anti corruption campaigns, which is IMO low profile blaming Jiang and Hu and build a case for Xi's third term.
* more words for the "great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation" which is IMO building up a case for unifying Taiwan at the set goal point of 2049.

This is just a very very brief reading of the text. I will wait for scholars I respect analyse over it and pass you guys more thoughts.