Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a general tendency to not show the actual traveling, outside of genres that falls in the category of roadtrip.

Mostly people just leave, there's a fade of some sort, and then they arrive.

Sure, but the great distances involved in interstellar travel and the monopoly pricing on being able to do it safely are both pretty important to the general what the hell is even going on of Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lynch’s space folding scene rules. He had nothing textual to go on and managed to come up with something both sublime and ridiculous. I will poo poo prescience all over you and you will drown in it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Sure, but the great distances involved in interstellar travel and the monopoly pricing on being able to do it safely are both pretty important to the general what the hell is even going on of Dune
Yeah, that's a good point.

On the other hand, this way we get to say "Do you want to know more" and throw the book at them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Lynch’s space folding scene rules. He had nothing textual to go on and managed to come up with something both sublime and ridiculous. I will poo poo prescience all over you and you will drown in it
And yet after the puke monster and the particulate-filled water filmed on a black matte, and all the other very 80s effects, it's just a simple fade-transition.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah despite asking about the HIghliners i like how mysterious they were in the film. How weird they were. Its ok not to know things, people don't need everything explained.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

Yeah despite asking about the HIghliners i like how mysterious they were in the film. How weird they were. Its ok not to know things, people don't need everything explained.

I fully agree, it's just annoying that they actually did give you visual evidence of ... something, but then that thing is apparently wrong.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's got terminus and atmospheric diffraction and isn't illuminating the barrel of the ship. It's a planet/moon and they hosed up the CG. Good catch.

Even knowing what it was I just figured it was their visual way of telling the audience that whatever entered the ship on one end from another location was exiting it at another different location. Whether a gate or something weirder/more esoteric didn't matter, it felt like it got the point across succinctly.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I fully agree, it's just annoying that they actually did give you visual evidence of ... something, but then that thing is apparently wrong.

Well it can bend space, maybe it also bends light and fucks up the CGI lighting.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yes thats true. Got to admit i missed the detail of the moon through it.

On an other note. I loving loved the Orthoptors. They really felt real, like they could actually work. Loved em.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super.Jesus posted:

Well it can bend space, maybe it also bends light and fucks up the CGI lighting.

I mean that's fine but the director has already said that isn't even what is supposed to be happening there.

It isn't about knowing how Holtzman field FTL works (very well, thank you), it's about the visual language implying what it's supposed to be implying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

On an other note. I loving loved the Orthoptors. They really felt real, like they could actually work. Loved em.

Yeah I always got more of a bird-wing feel from the books than bug-wing, but damned if they weren't perfect.

I even liked that the smaller one looked even more like a bug.

Also reminded me a little of Spelljammer, which is always a good thing

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I mean, where did they come from to caladan? I could see the heighliner itself acting as a gate (instead of some shimmery blue sg-1 poo poo), but then it would simultaneously be in 2 places.

Maybe that's the implication?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

The Bloop posted:

I mean that's fine but the director has already said that isn't even what is supposed to be happening there.

The director has said how the heighliner is supposed to work (stargate portal versus some other form of FTL) in the film? Do you have a link? Just curious.

When i saw it in the theater initially i was a bit shocked they didn't show the jump, but when I watched it again I got the impression it was showing more of a portal-type effect.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The director has said how the heighliner is supposed to work (stargate portal versus some other form of FTL) in the film? Do you have a link? Just curious.

There's a quote in the interview a few posts upthread where he discusses them:

quote:

The Heighliners that are used by the Spacing Guild are ships. We went through a long period of design. When we came [up] with that shape, I knew we had the right one. It feels like an echo to the worm, and at the same time it feels like it could be seen as a stargate. It's like the system that [the Imperium] are using to travel and to bridge space and time is… I like again to not explain it and try to stay in a zone of [the] unknown. I think it's absolutely beautiful. And that's where we took a little bit of liberty from the book, where it has a feeling that it could be something that is folding space in a way, that you can see it as almost as a stargate. But I like to keep it [a] mystery right now. It will be more permanent and explained in Part Two.

So he says they're ships, but then goes on to say it's intentionally ambiguous. The shot of the Imperial delegation ship travelling through it to Caladan sure did seem to imply some kind of 'gate' to me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I mean, where did they come from to caladan? I could see the heighliner itself acting as a gate (instead of some shimmery blue sg-1 poo poo), but then it would simultaneously be in 2 places.

Maybe that's the implication?

This is cool, yeah. Really take the 'travelling without moving' thing in a new way: It's a ship, but it's the same ship in multiple places at once, and travelling through it like a gate gets you to those places. Maybe the Navigators are constantly immersed in concentrated spice in order to keep space folded, 'keep the gate open' in a way, and if they lose their prescience, the fold collapses and the heighliner ends up in one place. In any case, I loved the design and I loved that it was left vague, like other details in the film we've pored over ITT. It's better to show just enough to make the audience think about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the ship being in two places at once is a really cool idea, but that really does make it not a carrier, like maybe it needs to travel to get there but the whole no fighting in the ship even if you are parked next to your biggest enemy thing was cool too.

Either way it's not really important how it works and he says they'll get into it more in part 2 so that's cool

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

The shot where Gurney was looking up and sees the harkonnen fleet coming through was :aaaaa:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Part of what’s confusing about the Heighliner in the movie is the way you see objects entering and exiting it at the same high speed- it gives the impression of a portal that doesn’t require the deceleration/acceleration of arriving at a destination.

That said I like how it looks and even though Denis now denies it, I like the portal concept.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Jewmanji posted:

Part of what’s confusing about the Heighliner in the movie is the way you see objects entering and exiting it at the same high speed- it gives the impression of a portal that doesn’t require the deceleration/acceleration of arriving at a destination.

That said I like how it looks and even though Denis now denies it, I like the portal concept.

Yeah i think the ship itself is the 'event horizon' so to speak. It's a physical tunnel through space time.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Maybe if you don't want to go to the current destination, you just pay to park your ship on the arrival side, wait for the heighliner to fold again, and then leave at the designated departure side.

I like the idea that it is like a bus or subway, and if you fail to disembark in time, you might end up in a completely different system.

If you time it just right, your ship could even be torn apart into three different systems!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

If they were more portal-like, shouldn't they just adopt some sort of network topology instead of just bridging locations ad-hoc? I reckon Arrakis might get a permanent connection due to the spice, and there would be a hub somewhere with a few heighliners opening up against each other.

However, with the Guild being who they are, I'm guessing they have every incentive to keep things complicated and inefficient, to extract profits.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

My PIN is 4826 posted:

If they were more portal-like, shouldn't they just adopt some sort of network topology instead of just bridging locations ad-hoc? I reckon Arrakis might get a permanent connection due to the spice, and there would be a hub somewhere with a few heighliners opening up against each other.

However, with the Guild being who they are, I'm guessing they have every incentive to keep things complicated and inefficient, to extract profits.

Also the ships are huge and need to be built and probably require crunching entire moons to get enough materiel.

There's also probably a functional limit to how close 2 active holzmann generators can be since lasers use them too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Denis is beefswelling incredibly hard about Part Two in that interview and it owns

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I want part 2 and Messiah now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ingmar terdman posted:

Denis is beefswelling incredibly hard about Part Two in that interview and it owns

he has to be really proud. he's wanted to do this since he was young and there was no guarantee he was to get to finish the story but he did it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You miss 100% of the hits you don't take

-Guild proverb from a navigator that spends his whole life in a gravity bong

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

kiimo posted:

You miss 100% of the hits you don't take

-Guild proverb from a navigator that spends his whole life in a gravity bong

Guild navigators don't take 100% of the shots they would miss.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Saw the movie with my son, we liked it.

One question though, why don't they have laser guns and stuff? I remember from the book (a LONG time ago) that they blow up the shields or something?

What was the reason?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

spacetoaster posted:

One question though, why don't they have laser guns and stuff? I remember from the book (a LONG time ago) that they blow up the shields or something?

What was the reason?

In the book it's explained that if you shoot a shield with a lasgun, both the shield generator and the lasgun blow up with atomic-level vengeance, which would take out both sides. I think Duncan or Gurney at one point rigs some lasguns on timers/tripwires to fire on some shielded Sardaukar as a nasty little booby trap.

In the movie it's not really explained, we just don't see them used. IIRC the only lasguns we see are either vehicle mounted or the huge mining-laser thing that the Sardaukar use trying to cut open the door when they're chasing Paul, Jessica, Duncan and Kynes, so it could just be that they're unwieldy for infantry troops to carry routinely. Nobody mentions any dangers or concerns with lasgun/shield interaction though.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

What was the reason?

when a laser hits a shield, both the shield and the laser gun blow up, so the shooter would be killed too

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if only a machine could be programmed to push the button on the lasgun THANKS BUTLER

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eau de MacGowan posted:

if only a machine could be programmed to push the button on the lasgun THANKS BUTLER

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

"How do you call among you the little bird, the bird that drinks?"

Stilgar frowned. "We call that one deceiver-of-boys. It makes a mockery of the thermodynamics, and though it appears to drink, and conserve water inside itself, it instead evaporates the water in to the air for its fun. A hateful, wasteful machine." And he made a fist near his right ear. "We will speak no more of it."

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 17, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Stilgar frowned. "We call that one deceiver-of-boys. It makes a mockery of the thermodynamics, and though it appears to drink, and conserve water inside itself, it instead evaporates the water in to the air for its fun. A hateful, wasteful machine." And he made a fist near his right ear. "We will speak no more of it."

lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

hell yes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:laffo:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:ibadpop: :perfect: :ibadpop:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a general tendency to not show the actual traveling, outside of genres that falls in the category of roadtrip.

space opera roadtrip movie when

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In the movie it's not really explained, we just don't see them used. IIRC the only lasguns we see are either vehicle mounted or the huge mining-laser thing that the Sardaukar use trying to cut open the door when they're chasing Paul, Jessica, Duncan and Kynes

There are definitely lasguns in the opening scene of the movie, and it seems implied that at least some of them are hand-held.

Another thing I just noticed (because I'm super high and rewatching the movie rn), maybe someone's mentioned it upthread but - the opening music, aside from some choir pads and that awesome drum fill, is almost entirely the slowly-accelerating sound of a thumper.

The worm is the film.

The film is the worm.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Echo Video posted:

when a laser hits a shield, both the shield and the laser gun blow up, so the shooter would be killed too
I might've mentioned this before, I don't remember - but it's important to remember that the shield-lasgun interaction is unpredictable.
It can either kill both the one with the lasgun and the one with the shield, or it can be a nuclear explosion (not necessarily megaton-range, but certainly enough to leave behind ionizing radiation), which risks house atomics being implicated - which in turn would result in every other house coming after the ones who use their atomics.

I quite like that the lasguns in the movie are coherent-lightbeams and not just pew-pew spaceship lasers like Star Wars (although to be fair, Star Wars is Arthurian fantasy with a thin veneer of space paint, so one can't have expectations low enough).

Fuschia tude posted:

space opera roadtrip movie when
:same:
Heck, I want a book with it, and then that book to be a film adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Blasters are not lasers

You buffoon

You complete nerf herder