Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Gave Shadowlord's Castle song to a musician on Twitch, Jonathan Ong, to do a cover of and I think it came out really cool. He does an orchestrated loop with different instruments, so his songs get bigger and bigger as the video goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35X8aKota4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

some bust on that guy posted:

Gave Shadowlord's Castle song to a musician on Twitch, Jonathan Ong, to do a cover of and I think it came out really cool. He does an orchestrated loop with different instruments, so his songs get bigger and bigger as the video goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35X8aKota4E

That guy rules, thanks for posting!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Aliens told me to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqAy97yPkqc

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Replicant question: I fell down the hole like a moron and missed Beastcurse, so is there an easy way to get back there, or am I better off waiting until my B run to get it?

E: Nevermind, just stopped being lazy and retraced my steps.

E2: lmao, I'm going to have to go back there later anyway? god dammit

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sinteres posted:

Replicant question: I fell down the hole like a moron and missed Beastcurse, so is there an easy way to get back there, or am I better off waiting until my B run to get it?

E: Nevermind, just stopped being lazy and retraced my steps.

E2: lmao, I'm going to have to go back there later anyway? god dammit

Well, "having to go back there" is pretty much the definition of NieR.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wait till you find out how to get the iron pipe lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wait till you find out how to get the iron pipe lmao

I thought I just had to beat the side quest to get it, so I actually missed it. I guess you get it automatically after Ending B though, so I'll just wait. Kind of annoying that I did all that backtracking for nothing, but for now I guess it'll just be a weird easter egg.

Finished the first run, game's good. Really enjoying the soundtrack.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 24, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Okay I played way too much over the last couple days and now I'm done with the whole thing. Great game, shouldn't have rushed it so much, can't wait to play Automata.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Okay I played way too much over the last couple days and now I'm done with the whole thing. Great game, shouldn't have rushed it so much, can't wait to play Automata.

Glad you enjoyed! You…got Ending E, right. It’s not immediately intuitive* without the internet.

*well I mean, it IS intuitive insofar as you’ll definitely get it on your replay in a few years or w/e.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I did, yeah. Playing as Kainé was a fun twist, and as a fan of weird poo poo I liked the rest of it too, though I think I spoiled something from Automata reading about a character on the wiki after I finished. Oh well, hopefully it's not a big deal, but I guess finding out if something is a big deal or not might be an even bigger spoiler, so I'll just leave it alone until I play and find out.

B route was a bit melodramatic with the shades suddenly having tearjerker stories bluntly hitting a 'maybe we're the baddies' button when it was already hinted at pretty strongly in part 2 of A, especially at Aerie, so it didn't come as a huge shock when that was foregrounded more. That said, the little shade with the robot ended up hitting me almost as hard as Fyra. C/D route was definitely more tedious without adding much beyond the actual endings, but at least it was super fast. The scenes of the Twins conspiring didn't feel like they really added a tremendous amount/felt like a missed opportunity for more exposition since what exactly they were doing still doesn't seem all that clear to me, but more Emil stuff toward the end was good at least. I hosed up killing the sea monster, so I didn't get the new content there, but oh well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Automata's a much, much more fun game to play, so you should be in for a good time. Smoother combat, less repetition, sidequests with more variety, a more unique aesthetic... I respect the original. I love Automata.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yoko Taro's Nerdy Card Adventure Game is out now. Reviews seem to suggest it goes full :yokotaro: at points. Has anyone given it a go yet?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also does the gameplay in the card rpg ever get better? The demo was kinda boring even by JRPG standards.

Seems to be a recurring problem besides Nier Automata and Replicant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm playing it but still very early. The Demo actually functions as a prologue so it might be worth playing first if you haven't.

It is extremely easy still but I'm only just now approaching character power levels from the end of the demo so there's plenty of time for difficulty spikes. And even if not, I've put up with dull gameplay for cool story before, and this game has a continuous feeling of weirdness just offscreen so I'm quite excited to see where it goes.

A few minutes ago the narrator mispronounced a new character's name then apologized and corrected himself lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I started Automata, and unfortunately it makes me motion sick, while Replicant didn't. The in-game setting option might be helping a bit, but I think I'm going to have to pace myself with this one so I don't wind up feeling like poo poo all the time. I'm not going to quit playing, but it's a pretty big bummer after how much I enjoyed Replicant and was excited for this one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So any thoughts on Voice of Cards?

I heard it's a really short game for a JRPG but I liked the demo well enough so I'll probably buy it later because I'm really curious where the plot goes with such a typical premise.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Disappointingly it looks like it's never going to move beyond being unbelievably easy, which is really strange to me because it has all these items that imply strategy to buff or spend turns saving up gems, but it's all completely and utterly unnecessary. I'm in chapter 5 and I've yet to have so much as a close call for a death, let alone actually losing a battle. This makes walking around in dungeons a bit dull as there's nothing interesting to do in battles so they just waste time as you walk (this of course is always true to some extent in RPGs but it's particularly egregious in this game).

The story is pretty funny and I'm enjoying all the parts where I'm not walking and getting into lots of random encounters. It still seems to be mostly playing it straight with occasional bits of weirdness and humor but I still like it.

Unless there's a huge swerve in the last 3 chapters I'll probably come down on it being ok but not great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I bought the full game because my curiosity got the better of me and there's something about the fully voiced narration that stuck in the back of my head. It's like me reading fairy tales to my kids, just more violent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it's pretty cool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just finished chapter 1. Everything moves so slowly in this game it's pretty frustrating. Even navigating basic menus.

Still, I wanna see my rear end in a top hat hero get exactly what he deserves, whatever that might be in this case.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished it last night; it's ok, I liked it, but it's definitely not on the level of nier or even drakengard in terms of memorability. There's some twists towards the end, but I think the plot stays pretty grounded by YT standards. There is a lot of wit and character throughout the moment to moment writing though, so the quality is there, it just doesn't take as many big swings as some of his other games.

The gameplay is....fine. It's mostly very easy; outside of the initial phases where your HP is so low that it feels like playing level 1 d&d, and the final boss, which I found to be a bit of a slog (but I am famously bad at JRPGs and might have just been missing an obvious strategy) it never really gets particularly interesting or challenging.

I also agree that it just feels...slow. Everything takes more clicks than it needs to; for example to quit the game, unless I missed a shortcut, you have to: press esc to open the menu; press X to open the options menu (this tooltip doesn't show up immediately, so if you forget, it's easy to miss); press "other" at the top of the screen; press "other" on the left of the screen; press "quit"; and finally, press "exit to windows". That's the most egregious thing, but there's lots of little things that just feel kind of unnecessarily arduous to do. It's a somewhat minor thing, but still kind of annoying.

So yeah I dunno; it's fine, but you're safe to wait for a sale to pick it up, it's very short (i think i beat it in 12-15 hours) and I don't think people are going to be talking very much about this one. There are multiple endings, which I gotta be honest I'm not gonna go back to see, because it'd require fighting that final boss a few more times and I don't care enough to do that. One of them requires you to find 10 secret collectibles throughout the game, maybe the real crazy ending is locked behind doing that? But I googled it and it didn't sound like it was too wild

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did get the true ending and fought the postgame superboss. It doesn't get particularly more crazy and overall it didn't really deliver on the interesting parts of the premise. The story doesn't go anywhere weird related to the format or narrator, and while the story is still decent it doesn't make up for how dull the stretches between story beats are.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think the game would be significantly better if they gave Taro a bigger budget than his lunch money.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

WaltherFeng posted:

I think the game would be significantly better if they gave Taro a bigger budget than his lunch money.

If only they'd given him a budget equal to his booze money instead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I did get the true ending and fought the postgame superboss. It doesn't get particularly more crazy and overall it didn't really deliver on the interesting parts of the premise. The story doesn't go anywhere weird related to the format or narrator, and while the story is still decent it doesn't make up for how dull the stretches between story beats are.

I didn't even know there was a postgame superboss; in that case I'm glad I skipped it, the final boss was annoying enough for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Endings posted:

If only they'd given him a budget equal to his booze money instead.

I'm terrified of a Yoko Taro game that has the incubation period of Red Dead Redemption 2, which I think is a sign that I want it real bad

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think adjusting the setting for motion sickness in Automata actually ended up working out really well once I wasn't already motion sick from playing without it earlier that day, so I ended up playing a ton and finished it. I liked it a lot, and obviously think it's mostly better/more fun to actually play than Replicant particularly in route structure, where C was loving awesome in Automata while it was a total waste of time except for a couple cutscenes in Replicant, but the soundtrack didn't really stand out as much to me. Tbf it's kind of a blunt instrument in Replicant, with a lot of repetition, but the first time you go to the Lost Shrine or the Aerie, getting hit in the face with the music to set a mood was something I really enjoyed, and Automata rarely gave me that feeling. I kind of wonder how I'd feel about Automata if I hadn't played Replicant, since I think it would have been a lot more confusing/surprising, maybe in a good way, though the payoff of the fakeout with Devola and Popola at the Towerplayed really well with expectations from the original.

I probably felt more emotional attachment to Replicant, both because of the music and because it's just a more grounded and relatable story. That said, while I expected Pascal's Village to be wiped out, the way it was done with a fake sense of relief that the children survived before finding out they committed suicide was loving brutal. Also I selected touch Devola's cheek in the novel section with them, but I looked up what it says if you choose to support her body, and drat what a callback:

As long as we have bodies to support one another…
As long as I have someone with whom to share my fate…
Then I will press on, no matter what happens to me.

Because I won’t ever stop protecting her.

I won’t stop.

No one stops.

Anyway, tl;dr it was a great game, but I think I maybe should have waited a little longer after playing Replicant to play it so I could have experienced it a bit more as its own thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yoko Taro with good gameplay designers is a winning combo, even this game would be a gem with some minor tweaks like better optimization for the gameplay speed, a halved encounter rate and tweaked enemy stats to make the fights more engaging.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking more about it, I'm not even sure why they went with the card aesthetic for this game, the mechanics never really lean into it. Compare to something like hand of fate, where there's a layer of deck building and shuffling that affects each run, you could probably make this game in RPG maker and it would play very similarly.

I guess maybe they wanted to go for the aesthetic of playing a tabletop game with the narrator serving as a GM? although even that's not super utilized, i expected there to be more fourth wall breaking, or something weird going on with the narrator, but outside of a funny line read here and there it never really happens.

I can't complain too much though; i'm a sucker for any game that utilizes the tactile/audio sensation of rolling physical dice, and this game comes through hard on that front

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thinking more about it, I'm not even sure why they went with the card aesthetic for this game, the mechanics never really lean into it. Compare to something like hand of fate, where there's a layer of deck building and shuffling that affects each run, you could probably make this game in RPG maker and it would play very similarly.

I guess maybe they wanted to go for the aesthetic of playing a tabletop game with the narrator serving as a GM? although even that's not super utilized, i expected there to be more fourth wall breaking, or something weird going on with the narrator, but outside of a funny line read here and there it never really happens.

I can't complain too much though; i'm a sucker for any game that utilizes the tactile/audio sensation of rolling physical dice, and this game comes through hard on that front

Yeah pretty much. Early on the narrator seems like he's inches away from interacting with the story directly and I really thought they were gonna do something with that but... nope.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
It's not even really a card game, it's just a standard JRPG that they saved animation and voice acting money on by having a card aesthetic. I haven't finished it yet so I had hopes the story would be good but I guess that's not the case.

I wonder if the success of Automata was actually a curse for Yoko Taro because Square realized that he can make money so now he has to just churn out poo poo for them instead of having the creative freedom he had before.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wouldn't say the story is bad really, it's fine, you just shouldn't expect the big "wtf" moments that you might be hoping for if you're coming to this from nier or drakengard. And again, it's well-written throughout, there's lots of personality and humor in the characters and dialogue that kept me wanting to move forward, it's just a fairly normal dark fantasy story compared to his other games.

It almost feels like an expanded version of a weapon story, in terms of tone. It's got the typical "normal fantasy premise > uh oh here's some bleak poo poo" formula that those follow, just told over 12 hours instead of a few paragraphs. Not bad, but not great either, just fine

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hikaki posted:

It's not even really a card game, it's just a standard JRPG that they saved animation and voice acting money on by having a card aesthetic. I haven't finished it yet so I had hopes the story would be good but I guess that's not the case.

I wonder if the success of Automata was actually a curse for Yoko Taro because Square realized that he can make money so now he has to just churn out poo poo for them instead of having the creative freedom he had before.

I'm pretty sure this is him doing when he wanted because I doubt many SE execs thought that the way to capitalise on Automata's success was a zero budget game with one voice actor and everything is made out of static cards.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

It almost feels like an expanded version of a weapon story, in terms of tone. It's got the typical "normal fantasy premise > uh oh here's some bleak poo poo" formula that those follow, just told over 12 hours instead of a few paragraphs. Not bad, but not great either, just fine

That's also more or less what all the events are in Sinoalice, which I think works well for the kind of game it is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, the monster village in Voice of Cards sure played out like a Taro game, if nothing else.

Mr. Flobby :(

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just got to chapter 7 and I can see a Yoko Taro ending coming from a mile away

Mar is your sister and she needs the last remaining Dragontear in existence to turn human and the Dragontear can supposedly save or destroy humanity..

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/GARPFloyd/status/1460834857416753160?t=GCaVpSw749g41P6NvcFfXQ&s=19

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, the monster village in Voice of Cards sure played out like a Taro game, if nothing else.

Mr. Flobby :(

I was like, ahhh there it is. Got similar vibes in the town of sickness.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Anyone wonder why everything in Voice of Cards is named so literally?

The first town is Advent, the neighbouring town is Nexton (lol) and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Anyone wonder why everything in Voice of Cards is named so literally?

The first town is Advent, the neighbouring town is Nexton (lol) and so on.

Is Yoko Taro an Earthbound fan?