Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1459180042861301763?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That's the most useless starting point for the map because loving everything goes through London. Something like Leeds, York, Bristol would be more interesting.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Please give more context, I'm begging you.
Context is that map nerds hate this map. It apparently was made out of whole cloth for Wikipedia ten years ago and exists on pages like Vernacular architecture of the Carpathians.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I'd like to see their definition for eastern vs western cottage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, that's why it's a bad map.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Western cottages say the Nicene Creed with the "filioque," Eastern cottages have kickass icons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The side they're on past the midpoint of the map.

Which honestly that's the only clear meaning on the map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the iconoclast cottages.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In the west they build cottages like this, but in the east you know they got the cottages like this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the Scots that live in a geode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Something something the cave fairies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

Western cottages say the Nicene Creed with the "filioque," Eastern cottages have kickass icons.

:hmmyes:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Guavanaut posted:

Those are bothies.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think what they're going for here is the differences in vernacular construction methods caused by differences in the availability of building materials. In Western Europe, the European Beech (Fagus sylvatica) tends to dominate forests and woods. As a hardwood, it lends itself to timber-framed construction where wood is used sparingly, but joints are often complex.

Forests in the Eastern part of the subcontinent, on the other hand, tend to be dominated by Norway spruce (Picea abies) which is a softwood. It's easier to fell and grows straight, making it ideal for log construction.

Now you ask, how does the differ from log cabins (or lodge cabins) and my answer is: I'll be damned if I know. Maybe the use of thatch as roofing instead of wood shingles?

In conclusion, it's still a bad map.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You guys need to learn about logs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rebel Blob posted:

Context is that map nerds hate this map. It apparently was made out of whole cloth for Wikipedia ten years ago and exists on pages like Vernacular architecture of the Carpathians.

I knew it was a bad map, but I didn’t know that it was the map version of The Chart.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The map would be fine if Portugal had Eastern cottages.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I do recall noting that houses in Turkish Thrace (aside from Istanbul itself we passed through Tekirdag and some tiny farm towns) looked very different from houses I'd been seeing in northern Greece. And that map does seem to indicate why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I think what they're going for here is the differences in vernacular construction methods caused by differences in the availability of building materials. In Western Europe, the European Beech (Fagus sylvatica) tends to dominate forests and woods. As a hardwood, it lends itself to timber-framed construction where wood is used sparingly, but joints are often complex.

Forests in the Eastern part of the subcontinent, on the other hand, tend to be dominated by Norway spruce (Picea abies) which is a softwood. It's easier to fell and grows straight, making it ideal for log construction.
Eastern cottages have more Poles :hmmyes:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

dublish posted:

The map would be fine if Portugal had Eastern cottages.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

The side they're on past the midpoint of the map.

Which honestly that's the only clear meaning on the map.

There definitely is a very striking point in Switzerland where chalets turn from typical Swiss style wooden ones, to Italian style stone ones. Even in that their map is wrong, as Val Verzasca is shown in blue, but it is very much dominated 99% by stone structures, but OTOH it's not very granular and the way it follows mountains is weird.

I have no idea what the hell they are trying to show that weird loop that goes through the Jura range though (why is it only in part of the Jura and not all of it? Also TBH I have never noticed any differences architecturally in the Jura as compared to, say, Gros-de-Vaud). Also I can't imagine what is happening in the Massif Central not that I've ever been there, and none of the three "organic" distinctions make any sense to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1460382136926679055

I’m seeing double here, four Aswans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I may have read this thread a bit too much recently. Last night I had a dream that Egypt had split into three different countries called Jumbo, Afrique, and something else I've forgotten. The top two being shaped like hexagons and the southern country being a triangle.

I don't remember anything else from this dream except looking at a map on news site on my phone and being angry at how ugly the new borders were.

I am going to boldly assume that this dream is prophetic and that the dissolution of Egypt is imminent.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I am going to boldly assume that this dream is prophetic and that the dissolution of Egypt is imminent.

If you encounter a man with a coat of many colors, be sure to have him interpret your dreams for you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think I may have read this thread a bit too much recently. Last night I had a dream that Egypt had split into three different countries called Jumbo, Afrique, and something else I've forgotten. The top two being shaped like hexagons and the southern country being a triangle.

I don't remember anything else from this dream except looking at a map on news site on my phone and being angry at how ugly the new borders were.

My plan:

Sudan rename itself Upper Egypt. Egypt itself rename itself North Africa.

Kongo rename itself High Egypt. Upper Egypt rename itself New Kongo.

South Africa rename itself Bottom Egypt. Kongo rename itself Old Kongo.

Bottom Egypt rename itself Egypt.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 17, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Theres a famous photo of some rich homes in paris where the windows did not had windowblinds.

It was a shock to many people here in spain. "What the hell!". The average spanish probably think these are the most advanced people on earth. But having not blinds on the windows is like... what the hell is this non-terrae barbarian place?

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/12/inenglish/1523524502_160274.html

That 20% is explained by 80% of spanish thinking the foreigners have windows blinds and ignorance they don't.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 17, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

English percentage is far, far too low.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tei posted:

Theres a famous photo of some rich homes in paris where the windows did not had windowblinds.

It was a shock to many people here in spain. "What the hell!". The average spanish probably think these are the most advanced people on earth. But having not blinds on the windows is like... what the hell is this non-terrae barbarian place?

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/12/inenglish/1523524502_160274.html

That 20% is explained by 80% of spanish thinking the foreigners have windows blinds and ignorance they don't.

Window shutters are such a weird thing, my partner's sister lives in germany and her and her husband have the shutters at the front of their house closed all the time and it just feels so bleak and dark.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have blinds on the inside of most of my windows, either wood or cloth. Mostly because they came with the house and to keep the sun out or heat in rather than a fear of Dutch Calvinists looking at my balls.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If the Calvinists see your balls it was ordained by God even before the creation of the universe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

A true thread goon

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Window shutters are such a weird thing, my partner's sister lives in germany and her and her husband have the shutters at the front of their house closed all the time and it just feels so bleak and dark.

Uh, you're not supposed to keep them closed during the day. I think your sister-in-law is just a goon.

I just have that adhesive stuff (I'm not sure what the proper term is in English or even in Dutch) covering half of my front window so I still get sunlight without people being able to see my dark and shameful Catholic secrets from the outside

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

In eastern europe you also keep your blinds down, well for the most part; certainly they are everywhere.

TBH I keep my curtains closed even in the UK, but that's mostly because my bedroom has a giant window (as in, 90% of one wall) pointed at a busy street at street level, so it would be hard to avoid flashing people when changing or what have you.

e: I'm pretty sure it was suppose to be a living room but shared housing & that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 17, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The rolling shutters are a brilliant invention, you can get your bedroom properly dark, and not have that flaming hell orb in the sky wake you up way too early.

But yeah, you open them during the day, unless you're a shut-in weirdo.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pretty shocked at how low France is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

French chauvinism is mostly a legacy thing, its actual national mood is incredibly pessimistic, and it has been for several decades at this point.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Phlegmish posted:

French chauvinism is mostly a legacy thing, its actual national mood is incredibly pessimistic, and it has been for several decades at this point.

We're not especially gung-ho about having the best culture ourselves but we're pretty confident about "certain cultures" (read::d2a::jihad:) being the obectively worst ones.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Arte is the superior culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The supreme culture is the Kalmyks.

Rest of the world is all unwashed barbarians.