Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Know wonder the drivers are constantly irate and take it out on everyone around them.

lmao, it's a feedback loop of hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cugel the Clever posted:

St Paul has (had?) A Carbucks infamous for dozens of drivers being laughably incompetent at exiting the drivethru.
https://twitter.com/TomBasgen/status/952574922655764480?t=L0xWtdnG512nB6t7SDNSPA&s=19
The location had to install large hiviz polls to discourage drivers from beaching themselves on the curb (and even that didn't stop everyone from driving right into them).

The thing is right at a major intersection, too, frequently causing massive backups because apparently dozens of people just have to get their chain coffee beverage before heading to work.

Employees protested having off-duty police do the traffic control a while ago, shutting down the drivethru. Not sure if that changed back or they found an alternate implementation.

It’s still there, and I believe the drive-thru reopened but haven’t seen any cops in a minute, although it’s been awhile since I’ve driven by during peak times.

That being said, it is such a terrible design and backs up so frequently into traffic.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

St Paul has (had?) A Carbucks infamous for dozens of drivers being laughably incompetent at exiting the drivethru.
https://twitter.com/TomBasgen/status/952574922655764480?t=L0xWtdnG512nB6t7SDNSPA&s=19
The location had to install large hiviz polls to discourage drivers from beaching themselves on the curb (and even that didn't stop everyone from driving right into them).

The thing is right at a major intersection, too, frequently causing massive backups because apparently dozens of people just have to get their chain coffee beverage before heading to work.

Employees protested having off-duty police do the traffic control a while ago, shutting down the drivethru. Not sure if that changed back or they found an alternate implementation.

I've driven by that one. there's also four other carbucks within a few blocks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qv4oha/what_is_something_you_hate_about_the_modern_cars/

let me know when you find "size" because I don't see it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reddit is the target demographic for all the stupid poo poo we mock in this thread

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

r/fuckcars is good tho they are our brethren

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe you're thinking of a different car but the corvette is not assembled in mexico and sent for final assembly at bowling green.

Yea maybe it's it's a Camaro or something. Regardless there are folks driving "cars" that are not legally cars in Mexico, and it's pretty cool, though I'm sure extremely dangerous.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

r/selfdrivingcarslie is also a pretty good sub if you are interested in all the hilarious stories that come out about how AV tech is all vaporware

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

parked my rx-7 for the winter :sigh: see you next spring bby girl

e: wrong thread

hot cocoa on the couch has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Nov 16, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

dc just hit the same number of traffic deaths that we had for the entire year of 2020, with 6 weeks still to go. our department of transportation still keeps axing good projects and downgrading others and it's just amazing to me that our mayor is such a car-addled idiot that she doesn't get how popular this stuff is

we had a confirmation meeting for the new head of the district DOT and all the complaints about new bike lanes came from projects that were installed this year, like within the last few months. none of the projects of previous years still have loud detractors; this bikelash stuff has a half-life of roughly six months. ignore them and they go away, but instead she surrenders to them and we have this constant drumbeat of car crashes and dead children. loving cars and loving car culture

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

dc just hit the same number of traffic deaths that we had for the entire year of 2020, with 6 weeks still to go. our department of transportation still keeps axing good projects and downgrading others and it's just amazing to me that our mayor is such a car-addled idiot that she doesn't get how popular this stuff is

we had a confirmation meeting for the new head of the district DOT and all the complaints about new bike lanes came from projects that were installed this year, like within the last few months. none of the projects of previous years still have loud detractors; this bikelash stuff has a half-life of roughly six months. ignore them and they go away, but instead she surrenders to them and we have this constant drumbeat of car crashes and dead children. loving cars and loving car culture

is it still the case that DC can't even issue tickets to drivers with MD/VA plates from speed and red light cameras?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

sat on my keys! posted:

is it still the case that DC can't even issue tickets to drivers with MD/VA plates from speed and red light cameras?

DC issues tickets but has no plan for dealing with unpaid tickets. you'll get your ticket in the mail but you're free to just put it in the trash or whatever. at an oversight meeting the other day they said there are over 500,000 vehicles eligible to be booted due to unpaid tickets but they have basically no resources allocated to actually finding and booting these cars and no reciprocity with md and va to stop their DMVs from renewing tags on vehicles with like 10,000 dollars in tickets, so...

the mayor was supposed to work with md and va to establish ticket reciprocity, and she reported that she tried and they didn't go for it, and then it turned out later that she hadn't even tried. she sucks so bad

edit- i'd say they should just start selling the ticket amounts to collections agencies. it would unleash a horrible swarm of repo men and never-ending harassment in md and va, and normally I would say this is bad but given how stupendously loving psychotic they're driving in DC these days i don't really care

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/kyantewilson/status/1460047139745112068?s=20

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

parked my rx-7 for the winter :sigh: see you next spring bby girl

e: wrong thread

gently caress you rear end in a top hat

post a link to your rx-7 please :shobon:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I didn't know there was some kind of live-action GTA thing in the works.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1460745370154197001

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/allpartycycling/status/1460661063284936709

quote:

The judge, Mark Dennis, agreed and told the court: ‘This has plainly had a dramatic effect on the defendant’s mental health.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ok cars are good now?

ok cars are bad again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

judges and juries, 99% drivers all, are insanely lenient with this poo poo because they don't want to set a precedent of someone getting punished for negligently operating heavy machinery

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/travis_robert/status/1460667145952632838

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Such an old person way to run over someone jesus christ lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the fact that its a beamer just tells me she was texting and driving and she has a really good attorney

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
That instance is 100% "my lawyer told me to use this strategy to minimize my jail time for homicide".

I do wonder, though, how many reports of cars "spontaneously accelerating" are just people that have no business being behind the wheel. Real manufacturers defects can be borne out by data, but I've heard plenty of random anecdotes where the blame almost surely lies with the driver.

An ex's mother slammed into the side of a McDonald's from a dead stop and claims the car did it on its own, but, knowing her, it's probably just undiagnosed Alzheimer's sprinkled with fatigue and impatience.

There's a dire need for regular driver competence checks, especially after the age of 60, that can result in license revocation. Of course, the olds would go utterly insane and vote hard against it, but even were it to somehow get through, there'd need to be a massive investment in ensuring they don't literally die since decades of auto-supremacy have utterly hosed our urban planning across the country and it's impossible to survive without in many places.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Especially sad because Asheville is actually praised for having a fun, walkable downtown. But you can see in the old photo how much more walkable it used to be.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
The older I get, the more a maximum voting age seems like a good idea.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cugel the Clever posted:

That instance is 100% "my lawyer told me to use this strategy to minimize my jail time for homicide".

I do wonder, though, how many reports of cars "spontaneously accelerating" are just people that have no business being behind the wheel. Real manufacturers defects can be borne out by data, but I've heard plenty of random anecdotes where the blame almost surely lies with the driver.

An ex's mother slammed into the side of a McDonald's from a dead stop and claims the car did it on its own, but, knowing her, it's probably just undiagnosed Alzheimer's sprinkled with fatigue and impatience.

There's a dire need for regular driver competence checks, especially after the age of 60, that can result in license revocation. Of course, the olds would go utterly insane and vote hard against it, but even were it to somehow get through, there'd need to be a massive investment in ensuring they don't literally die since decades of auto-supremacy have utterly hosed our urban planning across the country and it's impossible to survive without in many places.

All of them. Its the same percentage of "Accidental Discharges" where the gun "just went off." Something that is pretty much impossible to occur these days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ugh

my downtown used to be awesome too:

and now:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Nov 17, 2021

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

got home from the grocery just now. I have a new stall neighbor.

this stupid monstrosity is twice the size of my Fit. it doesn't even fit in the stall lol, I have like a foot of clearance in front while his rear bumper is 1 inch away from the concrete wall. sparkling and spotless despite the rain and snow we've had this week :pathetic:

our parking garage has these giant rear end trucks. when two are parked across each other, the two lanes essentially becomes one since they're too big to fit in the spaces

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

withak posted:

It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

I mean there is the Toyota situation where they provided mats that would slide and jam so you couldn’t brake.

The closest is people complaining about line-of-sight because of the a-pillars… to which someone suggests an SUV for better sight lines. JFC

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Captain Nemo's car in League of Extraordinary Gentleman was just a semi track chassis going backwards

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i know we despise the elderly in the us but i got a great reminder of that a few days ago reading a reddit post about taking keys away from aging relatives, and people were just so blase about it. like "yeah its very sad that they have to give up their independence but its okay they can take uber and rely on people they know for rides", as if it isnt like a massive affront to human dignity that being unable to safely operate heavy machinery just disqualifies a person from getting around at all. it should be unacceptable! and the answer obviously isnt to let old people drive its to unfuck our horrible communities.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dunno if it's justice when old people can continue to get around but the cost is stochastic car murders.

edit: just remove the word 'old'. Young people are just as adept at crushing babies and puppies beneath their tires

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cars and suburbs: isolating to children and the elderly. Not good!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I watched and enjoyed this video on how terrible car-centric urban design is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Especially sad because Asheville is actually praised for having a fun, walkable downtown. But you can see in the old photo how much more walkable it used to be.

the only time i've visited asheville, i was walking around downtown when we saw a ton of police activity suddenly. we walk over and someone had driven straight through the front of one of the shops, hitting 2 people. there was basically no way for this to happen, the speed limits were low and the place was super busy with pedestrians and other car traffic. you would have to be massively stupid to pull that maneuver off, so i looked it up to find out what happened.

"The driver was stopped for a red light at the intersection of College and Haywood streets when he started coughing and placed a foot on the accelerator, sending the vehicle across the intersection and striking two pedestrians before crashing into Spiritex, Asheville police Lt. Mike Lamb said."

some serious coughing lol

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cars and suburbs: isolating to children and the elderly. Not good!

Many such cases!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I hate stroads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Tiny train video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5sRCRa7AE