Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They're banning VISA credit cards, not debit cards. VISA dominate debit in the UK but are a much smaller player in credit cards (~20% of the market).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's pretty clearly a negotiating tactic anyway. Come January they will have worked something out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This made me LOL.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1460959565793710082

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

keep punching joe posted:

Applying for a free card that tells the hospital to send the bill to the NHS seems a lot better than paying for insurance but eh.

As far as I can tell the new GHIC is identical coverage to the EHIC. I saw an article claiming it doesn't work in Switzerland/Norway etc but the gov.uk website says it does. So shrug idk if this is really something people need to get upset about.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

loving lol. Said pic:

God drat that photo is busy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

loving lol. Said pic:

She's developed Charles Hand Syndrome.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Better than Andrew Hand Syndrome, although that mostly affects children.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Borrovan posted:

The definition that you posit is not good, because it would include lots of antifascism (covert, public violence against nazis) but would not include Anders Breivik (overt).

Breivik absolutely was covert; noone actually knew what he was going to do before he did it.

More importantly, if some anti-fascist group actually was nail bombing wide groups of people who they thought might be inclined to Nazism, then that would be terrorism. Under suitable assumptions, that could be any of justified and good terrorism, an understandable tactical or strategic mistake, or just plain fuckwittery. None of which would stop it being terrorism.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Guavanaut posted:

Actual proper lol at this

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SophieRunning/status/1460879921610379268

Guavanaut posted:

:five:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ThomasPaine posted:

I thought the whole point was that the EHIC wasn't going to be valid any more (or not for much longer)

Also I have heard horror stories about EHIC, in that they'll pay for basic stuff but it doesn't cover everything (e.g. emergency evac etc) so you can still be hit with an insane bill

EHIC entitles you to health care at the same level as a local, so that doesn't include air evac to the UK as that's not what a local would get. The replacement for the EHIC is called the GHIC (global) and it's probably worth grabbing just in case, although travel insurance is also needed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

Breivik absolutely was covert; noone actually knew what he was going to do before he did it.

More importantly, if some anti-fascist group actually was nail bombing wide groups of people who they thought might be inclined to Nazism, then that would be terrorism. Under suitable assumptions, that could be any of justified and good terrorism, an understandable tactical or strategic mistake, or just plain fuckwittery. None of which would stop it being terrorism.

That seems like an extremely useless definition of terrorism you're using then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Her TL is bonkers.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

radmonger posted:

'terrorism' has a negative connotation by consensus. So no, the majority of people would not recognise something as 'justified' or 'good' terrorism. Which means you shouldn't use it that way if you want a conversation to go anywhere.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bessantj posted:

Her TL is bonkers.

I love how all the algorithmically suggested tweets beneath that are anti-vax / anti-lockdown "muh freedom" bullshit. Just extra confirmation in case you were still on the fence about Oakeshott being human garbage.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

bessantj posted:

Her TL is bonkers.

I remember this odious Tory on QT saying how she had the help breast feed her child.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She was however responsible for the Cameron pig loving rumour so really it's impossible to say whether she's good or bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Rumour? I distinctly remember seeing a video of this

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I - for some reason - watched some of the PMQs and it does look like Sir Keir Starmarlaer had his bovril (and buckfast) this morning. I look forward to him deflating conspicuously and loudly in his next public engagement and ruining it all over again.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good to see that the Children of Men speedrun is still on track.

https://twitter.com/Okwonga/status/1460969926567596050

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

fuctifino posted:

loving lol. Said pic:

"Y-your majesty... the number of Psykers we can sacrifice daily is dwindling. Your power is fading..."

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

'terrorism' has a negative connotation by consensus. So no, the majority of people would not recognise something as 'justified' or 'good' terrorism. Which means you shouldn't use it that way if you want a conversation to go anywhere.
This is a large part of why the discourse is so poisonous, because it's largely just a question of whether the state considers a group or incident to be sufficiently spooky scary.

In fact, the definitions that scholars prefer are by definition bad (even if it's sometimes for a good cause or w/e), since terrorism has to be indiscriminate. So (to pick a couple of edge cases), targeted violence against, say, members of Combat 18 (a group of specific individuals) is not terrorism, whereas mass violence against gay people (a general population) is.

My partner's particularly interested in loyalist violence in NI, which gets extremely muddy. Especially when the state wades in saying "nonono not us, but plz also include that turf struggle between criminal gangs kthx"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Regarde Aduck posted:

'Terrorism' is a purely strategic term and holds no moral weight in itself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In my wildest fantasies, an extreme left government would be elected and use all this tory legislation against tories and other far right excuses for human beings.

(But I know that is dangerous because what is the cut-off between 'left' and 'right'? As in some people think the Guardian and BBC are too left while we all know they are centre right.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In my wildest fantasies, an extreme left government would be elected and use all this tory legislation against tories and other far right excuses for human beings.

(But I know that is dangerous because what is the cut-off between 'left' and 'right'? As in some people think the Guardian and BBC are too left while we all know they are centre right.)

I mean the distinction is pretty clear cut once you stop pretending liberals are remotely left wing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

*taps head* can’t have citizens dying of cold or covid in record numbers if you make them stateless first

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would unironically support a Labour government making Boris Johnson stateless.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ThomasPaine posted:

In a vaccum, stripped of all context, you're right. Materially speaking, the word "terrorism" has hugely negative connotations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

In a vaccum, stripped of all context, you're right. Materially speaking, the word "terrorism" has hugely negative connotations.
Negative connotations, but no moral weight.

The YPG is a proscribed terrorist organisation, but the Free Syrian Army is not. Only one of those groups has substantiated allegations of war crimes against it, but hey it happens to be the one that's politically useful to the West so nbd.

As actually used, it's pretty much a political designation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nelson Mandela was a convicted terrorist, on account of his terrorism convictions that he had, but usually the only people who make a point of raising that are attempting to give it moral weight.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I would unironically support a Labour government making Boris Johnson stateless.

Send him back to where he came from; Turkey.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

"The chief mistake of the windrush scandal is that we did it in secret rather than just passing a law to do it."

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Nelson Mandela was a convicted terrorist, on account of his terrorism convictions that he had, but usually the only people who make a point of raising that are attempting to give it moral weight.
Yeah, attempting. Him being a convicted terrorist doesn't make him a bad person, that's just a political designation. In fact, I'd say those people are more relying on the negative connotations to create an illusion of moral weight which the word "terrorist" doesn't have.

Which might be exactly your point, I'm tired and brokebrained atm, my bad if so

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neither a solid nor a liquid state - just custard.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

The problem is that you're getting into signifier and signified here. I think most people have in their heads a good concept of what terrorism is. Putting it down in words who's definition cannot be twisted to permit legal injustice is a huge problem, and is always going to be a huge problem for so many laws.

This is why I would tend to side with Borrovan, as a poster with a legal background who is patiently trying to explain the best and clearest definitions that exist.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Boris is giving evidence to a committee and looks and sounds like poo poo. He's not well.

Hopefully he's caught a second dose of covid.

e: forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84jYLQ-yKc

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He always looks like poo poo, it's his brand.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He always looks like poo poo, it's his brand.

No, this is something else. This is ill poo poo, not just Boris poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Boris is giving evidence to a committee and looks and sounds like poo poo. He's not well.

Hopefully he's caught a second dose of covid.

e: forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84jYLQ-yKc

Hasta la vista, Alex Pepper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

True, in the same sense that neither does genocide or rape.

Moral judgements like which side are the good guys are generally best placed downstream of understanding what is going on.