Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Metallica is doing another year of vinyl club. To absolutely no one's surprise, it is significantly more expensive. They're moving to 12" rather than 7" but it's otherwise the same 4 shipments. New total for the year (for me at least) looks to be $103.81, whereas last year was $69.13, which was already a little steep. I suppose with a 12" you can put some more music on there but these are singles to me and I'd prefer it was just a song a side and I can throw them in my box with all the rest of my 45s which I randomly pull something out of when I feel like listening to singles. It did take them some effort to work out the kinks but the end product was really well done at least.

The silver lining is that, at least for year one, you could sell any one of them on Discogs for as much as you paid for all of them. Who knows if that'll continue for year two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm in awe that anyone is still that into Metallica in TYOOL 2021

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They've definitely entered the territory where they've been bad for significantly longer than they were ever good but it's not like their early output somehow got worse over the years. They fully realize that and the vinyl club output is definitely geared towards earlier live stuff/rarities and similar so they're not exactly putting out special B-sides from unloved albums. Not sure why it's hard to understand.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Metallica is great, some better than others. But they consistently put out some cool stuff and they raise a bunch of money for charity. They also do right by their fans, S&M2 was supposed to be one night only. Bots and scalpers bought all the tickets and were reselling them for 10x the face value. So they did a second night and you had to have a fan club code to by the tickets.

e: I’m not even sure I’d agree with them being bad longer than they’ve been good. The newest album isn’t great, but death magnetic is decent. St Anger is rough for sure, and I’ll usually skip the black album. But the rest I’ll listen straight through

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 16, 2021

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah but their critical peak was 83-91 (depending on how you feel about the Black Album) and the commercial peak extended to Load/Reload (96/97 which are fine, but I never actually want to listen to), St Anger (2003, terrible), Death Magnetic (2008, decent) and Hardwired (2016, decent). So maybe bad is a little harsh, but they were great for like 8 years and then something a lot less than great for 30+.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a vinyl of Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way, nor pay a lot for them since my CDs are perfectly cromulent.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

on the topic of digital codes:

I rarely use them, but usually hand them out here or to private chat groups. Otherwise they kinda just end up in the trash (they're harder to sell than movies so I dont even bother with that. Though I do make pretty good money selling my codes from movies).

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Barry posted:

Yeah but their critical peak was 83-91 (depending on how you feel about the Black Album) and the commercial peak extended to Load/Reload (96/97 which are fine, but I never actually want to listen to), St Anger (2003, terrible), Death Magnetic (2008, decent) and Hardwired (2016, decent). So maybe bad is a little harsh, but they were great for like 8 years and then something a lot less than great for 30+.

I’m not super partial party, I have 2-3 different pressings of most of the albums. I’ve gotten rid of some of them and recently gone through and decided to part with my box sets since I always just grab a 33 copy so I’m not constantly flipping records. I think one of the big things for me is how good they are live. I’ve seen them probably 10 times from the early aughts til S&M2 and it’s always a well produced high energy show.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

lol, same. but i do still appreciate some of their older work

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I only like Reload

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only like the leaked radio version of I Disappear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9q-92qaiJ0

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of people are in their late 40s and early 50s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people are in their late 40s and early 50s.

Send them to Carousel!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Matador Records is doing a 25% off sale on everything except pre-orders and one new album.

edit: use the code Matador25

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 17, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man even back in the day Metallica were the most generic option for metal there was, at least in my area. If you didn't know the first thing about metal, you drat sure knew Metallica and thought it was the very core of it. As a teen I had long hair and wore leather jackets a lot, and every time I talked to folks from other scenes without fail they'd say something like "so I bet you're more into... Metallica, right?" with an expression like they were sure they'd completely nailed it, and I'd nod along like, yeah, sure, but think to myself "pfft, Metallica, you scrub. Maiden and Ozzy and Motörhead!"

Which if it had been the other way around I'm sure I'd have said something like YEAH MAN WU-TANG, RIGHT and they'd have thought I mean sure but look at this motherfucker not knowing 2Pac and Busta Rhymes and Cypress Hill and poo poo :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I listened to the Black album and Death Magnetic a long time ago and wound up giving away both those CDs to friends who are Metallica fans. Even though they're part of the big four of thrash and beloved by all, most of their stuff just doesn't stick in my head.* I do remember their cover of Whiskey in the Jar being nice though. Perhaps one day I'll start at the beginning and give Kill em All a shot.

Also I've listened to the Blue Man Group CD. When I ripped it, the program assigned the genre new age to it and it is wholly accurate on that point. It's just chill new age with 90s sensibilities and PVC. Whoever said the performance was a big part of the experience was also right.

*I have this same problem with Van Halen. I remember no songs that weren't on 1984; the most un Van Halen like of all the albums.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just get a copy of Master of Puppets and ignore the other 35 years of their work. Its the best version of Metallica boiled down to its essence.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

stealie72 posted:

Just get a copy of Master of Puppets and ignore the other 35 years of their work. Its the best version of Metallica boiled down to its essence.

That's early enough that Cliff is on it right? That's mostly what I care about as I attempt to be a bass player.

Also lol the Blue Man Group album looped without me noticing, truly a sign of 2 bucks wasted.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

That's early enough that Cliff is on it right? That's mostly what I care about as I attempt to be a bass player.
Yup. Their third album and their last with Cliff. Its peak ersatz prog metal with 8 minute high concept songs that wander off to a different song in the middle, while still returning to a badass 80s metal weedleweedleweedleWEEEE guitar solo.

Edit: I should mention that the preferred way to listen is on cassette in an IROC-Z, but failing that, vinyl will do.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 17, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There was a Metallica documentary I tried to watch the other day - "Some Kind Of Monster"?

It was loving awful, and I managed about 15 minutes before I switched it off.

I do have "Ride the Lightning" on vinyl though, the best Metallica record! And I even bought it from my local, overpriced record store owner.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The metal pantheon for me was Diamond (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond), Dio Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio), Dickinsion (Iron Maiden), Halford (Judas Priest), and Kilmister (Motorhead).

Metallica was basically the gateway, and their first 3 are bangers, but they're not amazing when you actually get into metal. That goes double when you realize that Metallica has always performed just good enough, they're C students at best.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Goon posted:

There was a Metallica documentary I tried to watch the other day - "Some Kind Of Monster"?

Some kind of monster is great though

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigFactory posted:

If you ever wondered what This is Spinal Tap would look like in real life, Some Kind of Monster has you covered.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stealie72 posted:

If you ever wondered what This is Spinal Tap would look like in real life, Some Kind of Monster has you covered.

You misspelled "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BigFactory posted:

Wasn't for me. Oh well, different strokes and all that!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Iron Crowned posted:

You misspelled "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"

:hmmyes: Glad I found and kept this one on DVD. Though minor point Spinal Tap is about has beens, Anvil is about never was-es but not for lack of trying.

Can't wait to find out how my worship of Motorhead's Overkill album is going to color my opinion on early Metallica either.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Iron Crowned posted:

The metal pantheon for me was Diamond (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond), Dio Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio), Dickinsion (Iron Maiden), Halford (Judas Priest), and Kilmister (Motorhead).

Metallica was basically the gateway, and their first 3 are bangers, but they're not amazing when you actually get into metal. That goes double when you realize that Metallica has always performed just good enough, they're C students at best.

It's cool if you prefer NWOBHM bands but I prefer early Metallica's version of that stuff turned up to 12 any day

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Okay, so here’s my question, why does any mention of Metallica elicit this response where 50% of people automatically have to mention how they suck or were good in the 80s? If someone brings up ozzy, I don’t immediately go to how a lot of his solo stuff is poo poo. But it’s almost like music is subjective. My favorite mastodon is crack the skye, which from discussions with other people seems pretty uncommon.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Bandit posted:

Okay, so here’s my question, why does any mention of Metallica elicit this response where 50% of people automatically have to mention how they suck or were good in the 80s? If someone brings up ozzy, I don’t immediately go to how a lot of his solo stuff is poo poo. But it’s almost like music is subjective. My favorite mastodon is crack the skye, which from discussions with other people seems pretty uncommon.

The answer is One

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Barry posted:

It's cool if you prefer NWOBHM bands but I prefer early Metallica's version of that stuff turned up to 12 any day

That's a very convoluted way to say you listen to Megadeth

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Bandit posted:

And that's a good choice but my fav is Leviathan. I've also purchased and ripped the live at Aragon DVD, which may be my most frequent listen overall.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Leviathan is the only on I have on vinyl, got it used at a local store for like $12 a couple weeks ago.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Bandit posted:

Leviathan is the only on I have on vinyl, got it used at a local store for like $12 a couple weeks ago.

I would like to listen to Blood and Thunder on vinyl, for sure.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You could probably have this same argument about any band or singer that for better or worse is the most popular and widely known act in their genre, doesn't have to be Metallica. Do the prog guys have the same argument about Yes? Do pop fans have arguments about Taylor Swift or whoever is top dog there?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And they are another band that's gone limp after a few albums. I dunno, I've bought most of their albums and the most recent ones aren't moving me.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Bandit posted:

Ozzy was loving awful, hope that helps.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dead Goon posted:

Ozzy was loving awful, hope that helps.

The Luciano Pavarotti of metal and he's "loving awful." Thanks a lot wiseass.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a very convoluted way to say you listen to Megadeth

The Bandit posted:

Well you're correct in this instance because Crack the Skye is the best Mastodon album

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the problem with Metallica is that they did a lot of bullshit 20 years ago that made people sour on them. Not to say that Napster and file sharing wouldn't have had the same fate, because it was only a matter of time, but Metallica made themselves the figurehead for it.

I'm just personally constantly amazed that people are still that into Metallica, when they're pretty much normie metal at this point.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to Manowar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It also doesn't help that Metallica, even at their best, are kind of a ridiculous band. I like the stuff they did in the 90s, but you had this band of goofy anime nerds trying to be hardcore. Even their name - Metallica sounds like a fake metal name. It's absurd.

And they just get goofier. Mixing the bass so low on And Justice For All? Goofy. Playing with an orchestra? Goofy. Releasing a tribute album where some songs are covered like 12 times. loving goofy.

That's not to say it's bad.