Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spending 4 hours in the palace on a weekday... This is the one of the first times the real-time playthrough has been taxing lol

I guess I was glad for the forced exit but that means I just have to do more tomorrow before smt....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

How many Persona spin-offs (or main games, now that I think about it) have not had a big part of the story be helping a new non-homo sapiens friend find some self-worth and humanity?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arbite posted:

How many Persona spin-offs (or main games, now that I think about it) have not had a big part of the story be helping a new non-homo sapiens friend find some self-worth and humanity?

Persona 1 and 2 for one, the first example of that plot was Aigis.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Persona 1 and 2 for one, the first example of that plot was Aigis.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd argue that Persona 1 was largely about helping an ill and somewhat misanthropic girl find self-worth and humanity. It's a common theme in the series.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd have to double check it but I think sick people are human

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

True though it's not a Persona game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arbite posted:

Offhand, I guess Dancing All Night and Ultimax? Original Arena had Labrys, but Ultimax was about Sho, who is very much not a friend. DAN was all humans (and Teddie).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Acerbatus posted:

I'd have to double check it but I think sick people are human

I certainly don’t FEEL human right now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Finally starting P4G and holy poo poo Teddie's Japanese voiceover is so grating that it's making me just play the whole thing in english.

I also miss P5 Igor :mad:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Teddie is not the only character whose voice is a straight upgrade in English.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really don't like Teddie's English voice.

But I absolutely despise his Japanese voice so yeah, it's an upgrade

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rie Kugimiya and Kappei Yamaguchi are good VAs that are turning in incredibly grating performances in P4. I don't much care for Romi Park as Naoto either, for what it's worth.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is there any major example of the English VA's performance being a clear downgrade across the series?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Persona doesn't have a spoiled rich girl that ohohos yet, so no.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As divisive as VAs can be, Persona honestly does a pretty good job all around with English VAs. The only one that didn't work for me was Haru, but I think that's more of a fault of the script than anything, since she feels much more natural in Strikers. I also think Cherami Leigh's range is a bit wasted on Makoto, but the actual performance is fine, just doesn't shine as much as Ryuji/Ann.

I do think Naoto's English VA is a slight downgrade, but again as a whole the role is fine, not an obvious dip in quality.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Was Naoto one of the characters who changed VAs for P4G? I know Chie and Teddie changed, and I think Matt Mercer took over for Kanji for one of the spinoffs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only characters who changed VA in Golden were Chie and Teddie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
About half of the P4 cast have changed VAs at some point, though at different times:

Chie and Teddie were changed for Golden.
Kanji got changed from Ultimax onwards.
Naoto got changed for I believe Persona Q? It definitely happened before DAN.
Rise changed for DAN, but I think that was due to Laura Bailey's pregnancy at the time. We haven't seen Rise since that game, so no idea if she'd come back for the role.

Yu, Yosuke and Yukiko have never changed.

As for other Persona cast, I think the only other one that's had a permanent change was Theodore, since Travis Willingham kinda stopped doing a lot of anime VAing. Margaret got like a few lines changed for P4G's extra fight but that was due to complications and she got her original voice back afterwards.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 17, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Margaret has actually been changed to Marisha Ray since Ultimax.

E: And that's also when Valerie Arem stepped in for Naoto.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ApplesandOranges posted:

As divisive as VAs can be, Persona honestly does a pretty good job all around with English VAs. The only one that didn't work for me was Haru, but I think that's more of a fault of the script than anything, since she feels much more natural in Strikers. I also think Cherami Leigh's range is a bit wasted on Makoto, but the actual performance is fine, just doesn't shine as much as Ryuji/Ann.

I do think Naoto's English VA is a slight downgrade, but again as a whole the role is fine, not an obvious dip in quality.

I think Strikers showed that the P5 English cast is perfectly good if you give them good material. As with a lot of cases there's only so much a VA can do with a mediocre localization

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Squiggle posted:

I also miss P5 Igor :mad:

I'm the complete opposite, P3/4 Igor is so iconic to me, so perfect for the role, that P5's voice just doesn't feel like Igor at all. I'll never get used to it.

I've also heard that Takemi got a different voice for Royal, but I never played/watched P5 vanilla so I have no point of comparison for her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really liked her VA in 5 but in Royal the new VA was serviceable but not interesting.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I honestly just prefer English voices in general for games/rpgs when available

I dunno, even when it's not great it still adds something for me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've also heard that Takemi got a different voice for Royal, but I never played/watched P5 vanilla so I have no point of comparison for her.

I made a comparison video for an LP I'm doing if you care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR51kMzeuMc

The original VA works a lot better for me, personally. The new one isn't bad, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arist posted:

The original VA works a lot better for me, personally. The new one isn't bad, though.

It's interesting how even after playing through Royal I don't recognize the new VA at all when watching the video.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Arist posted:

im the opposite, the original VA sounds weird to me but the new one sounds 'right' :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mix. posted:

im the opposite, the original VA sounds weird to me but the new one sounds 'right' :v:

Yeah same here. I can't quite describe why I prefer Royal's VA, it just seems like it fits the character better somehow.

Anyway after looking back at all the games I played that came out this year, I think Strikers is my GOTY. I can't think of anything else I enjoyed more, or played the hell out of. Like, Metroid Dread was a fantastic game, but I pretty much only played it once and I felt satisfied with it. Strikers on the other hand I played all the way through twice, and I feel like I want to play it again before the year is over. I wish P5R would come out on Switch but I know that's never going to happen. Maybe one day when I can afford a PS4/5 though, I'll finally get to play it. Until then I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through LPers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, the P5R Royal Ultimate Edition is currently on sale for 39.99.

I have the base game with some of the free DLC and a completed savefile, but I've been interested in getting some of the paid DLC bundles if they went on sale. Since those haven't gone on sale but this Ultimate Edition has, I gotta ask: will my savefiles be usable if I get the Ultimate Edition?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no, Royal is effectively a separate game

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Royal is worth the quality of life improvements at that price and it’s much easier to platinum then the base game. If you were considering it just to get DLC it’s probably worth it for you on the whole to get this version.

But yes no save data from base will transfer

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

By "base game" do you mean you have Royal and are looking at getting the Ultimate edition to get the DLC, or do you mean you have vanilla P5 and are looking to buy Royal? Vanilla save files aren't compatible with Royal, but I don't see any reason why the console would know the difference between two different Royal discs (or a digital install and a disc).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Commander Keene posted:

By "base game" do you mean you have Royal and are looking at getting the Ultimate edition to get the DLC, or do you mean you have vanilla P5 and are looking to buy Royal? Vanilla save files aren't compatible with Royal, but I don't see any reason why the console would know the difference between two different Royal discs (or a digital install and a disc).

As it turns out, the console is really strict about that and will not let you boot into a disk install if you do not have the disk inserted even if you have the digital version on your account.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Sorry, should have clarified. I have the base P5R (digital download) with some free DLCs activated. I was planning to wait on a sale of the paid DLC but the Ultimate Edition being discounted as much as it has been actually made it nearly as cheap as the lowest sale price of the DLC bundle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So what happened with those Persona 25 Anniversary announcements, anything good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah it was wild and there was cake.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They're happening over the course of a whole year, if anything important gets announced it probably won't be until next year. Just forget it exists unless something big comes out of it later.

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah it was wild and there was cake.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

drat Persona 2 Ice Cream looks tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Ice cream thou, thou art I.
Thou hast acquired a new scoop.
It shall become the wings of flavor that breakth thy chains of dinner.
With the birth of the Sundae Persona, I have obtained the winds of sweetness that should lead to freedom and new power...

*Rivers in the Dessert starts playing*