Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sensenmann posted:

I agree. Probably not from Beth but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's also entirely possible that they just go the lazy route and release a remaster of the old installments.

Those projects porting FNV and FO3 (importing their world spaces) to FO4 look surprisingly respectable

And Bethesda would probably do a bit of retexturing on top

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, I know. I'm following those closely. :)

Considering that the porting is done by modders and such things are usually a bitch to organize and keep on track, I think that Beth releasing a remaster before those ports are done is likely.

Skyrim sold, and still sells, by the truckload so they know that the demand exists. Would be a reasonably easy and quick cash grab if done in-house.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So I did the daily op for the first time with my stealth commando character, who's had the same random rubbish gear on for a hundred levels now (at 150) and first time through .... about 21 minutes. well okay, first time I wasn't expecting all that much, tried again and got it completed in 8:15, felt a little disappointed thinking that was still in the bottom tier completion bracket but oh hey, it's just 15 seconds off from the top tier bracket :confused:

probably should not have waited so long to get into these, they sound super hard but they're really not

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You probably should have joined a team or made one and waited for it to fill before starting. Daily Ops are frequently solo-able, but much more of a grind alone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what do people do, just make a team flagged for daily ops and then go when it fills?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That or join a daily ops flagged team with less than 4 people, yeah. It will tell you when someone starts DO, and (daily ops) will pop up next to their name in the party.

If you join a DO team, and go to start it, the button on the daily ops menu will just say "join", but if someone on the team is already in DO, it will say "join team" instead. So in this context "Join" means "start daily ops" and "join team" means someone already has.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

thanks.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Also keep in mind that the two DO types are fundamentally different.

You can easily* solo the Uplink ones where you are stationary but when it comes to Decryption you absolutely need a team because some of the arenas are huge. Not necessarily a team of four but the more people go in, the better.

* The exception to this are the Double Mutation weekends. You can try but some of those can be really hard for lower levels due to a lack of Legendary Perks and Gear to mitigite a lot of the damage that can come towards you. :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

decryption was the one I did and almost maxed out on the second try actually, I didn't find it very difficult at all because the modifiers lent themselves to stealth, any of the modifiers that oppose stealth are pretty much out of the question for me right now.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Good job! :)

Haven't played since last sunday so I have no idea what the current one is.

Watoga High, Vault 94, Valley Galeria and West-Tek are doable solo, they are small enough.
Watoga Civic Center and Vault 96 largely depend on the mutation and enemies. Cloaked is doable but if paired with Blood Eagles or whichever faction it is that has Mole Rats, it gets hard because those morons can get stuck in the walls and not follow you around.
Burning Mine, Arktos Pharma, the Burrows and the Uncanny Caverns are almost impossible thanks to size.

Also, Piercing Gaze, the one that lets enemies see you regardless of stealth, is Uplink only, so this one never happens in Decryption.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It was Valley Mall, yeah.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Infinite trail fireworks!

Today's free atomic shop item is glitched and you can claim it over and over. Just throw the scrap kits on the ground because they take up weight.

It's fun when you spam them at public events and other players join in.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What's even the point of trail fireworks anyhow? I claim them when free, but what purpose do they serve that they can't just be found scattered around?

Andenno
May 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What's even the point of trail fireworks anyhow?
Totally pointless. They're for celebrating and annoying your neighbors.

E:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

what purpose do they serve that they can't just be found scattered around?
:shrug:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It reminds me of the fireworks launcher in GTA5 in that it's only available when the devs want it to be, so I wind up holding on to as many as I can get and never use them.

So I guess what I'm saying is they should make a fireworks launcher in 76 so I can shoot them at people instead of just straight up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Far Cry 6 has the best fireworks launcher.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So if you did the raider quests all the way through do you have to just buy the Chinese Stealth Armor with gold, if you want it?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yep. Note that you can do the settler side of that quest chain up to a point and still have the Raider end, which will allow you to get the armor for free.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Yep. Note that you can do the settler side of that quest chain up to a point and still have the Raider end, which will allow you to get the armor for free.

Getting the armor for free does require some high CHA and INT dialog checks along with choosing the proper responses so you may want to look things up before hand.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Taerkar posted:

yeah but I didn't do that with my stealth character, oh well I didn't really have my eye on anything else selling for gold anyway. I have something like 2500 gold already :shrug:
e: 4000 gold AND you need to grind your faction up :negative:

e: after thinking about it for a while I realize this is fine, playing stealthy shooty person without it has been no trouble at all but trying to do stealthy stabby person seems like it will benefit a lot more, and my other character was already on track to do the settler side anyway and already has all the melee poo poo too

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 16, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bremen posted:

I just started recently and I'm actually pretty happy with how the game manages to make character creation feel like it matters while still making it very hard to cripple your character long term.

The actual engine is very janky but I think a lot of actual MMOs could take tips on character growth mechanics from this game.

Just following up on this; awhile back I posted in the modding thread about how I really wanted NV ported to Fallout 4 more than a new game, and a poster told me I should try picking up 76 and playing it as essentially a solo game. I did and surprisingly enough I'm really loving it.

I heard the same horror stories about launch as everyone, and that's why I never bothered, but I'm happy to say that three years of work have greatly improved the game. I just want to wander around a wasteland, doing quests and grabbing loot out of trash cans, and Fallout 76 does that really well. I really enjoy the story so far (I don't care if some people think it's too linear, at least I'm not just running around screaming if anyone has seen my baby), and I've mainly been following the original questline, so there's still two others to try later. I feel like the world is also much more interesting than Fallout 4's, with the different regions all feeling very distinct and with their own enemies - and on that note I love how much diversity there is for enemies. I was running down a highway only to get the shock of my life when a van I ran past turned out to be used as a shell by an elephant sized hermit crab.

As noted above, I have a lot of fun with the perks system too. I feel like it's a nice compromise of decisions mattering while still maintaining flexibility.

I have pretty much completely ignored the existence of other players, except for a few events popping up and one time when I ran into a giant sheep monster and ended up fighting it with another player. I might try more multiplayer stuff later, or I might not, but honestly I've already more than gotten my money's worth from this game just from the solo experience (actually I got it free on Xbox game pass, but I would have gotten my money's worth even if I paid). I don't know if I can honestly say I like it more than NV, but it's a lot closer than I ever expected it to be.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You should definitely do the big public events, especially the Scorchbeast Queen, as that is how you get all the top shelf gun receivers (Prime/Ultracite ammo). You don't need to wait until you're all maxed out, you can join them at level 1 since everything scales, although obviously you wouldn't have options that a fleshed out character will.

Just finished the Brotherhood storyline and let me just say, I wanted to kill everyone involved and am really annoyed that I couldn't

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm on my first play through of 4. While its not perfect, I'm still having a lot of fun playing it.

Not a fan of the all voice dialogue/loss of what you'd be saying in speech. But I do like the crafting bit, and the SimSettlements mod makes that part of the game fun as well.

All in all its a nice experience! New Vegas is still my favorite out of all of them but 4 is still a fun game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bremen posted:

Just following up on this; awhile back I posted in the modding thread about how I really wanted NV ported to Fallout 4 more than a new game, and a poster told me I should try picking up 76 and playing it as essentially a solo game. I did and surprisingly enough I'm really loving it.

I heard the same horror stories about launch as everyone, and that's why I never bothered, but I'm happy to say that three years of work have greatly improved the game. I just want to wander around a wasteland, doing quests and grabbing loot out of trash cans, and Fallout 76 does that really well. I really enjoy the story so far (I don't care if some people think it's too linear, at least I'm not just running around screaming if anyone has seen my baby), and I've mainly been following the original questline, so there's still two others to try later. I feel like the world is also much more interesting than Fallout 4's, with the different regions all feeling very distinct and with their own enemies - and on that note I love how much diversity there is for enemies. I was running down a highway only to get the shock of my life when a van I ran past turned out to be used as a shell by an elephant sized hermit crab.

As noted above, I have a lot of fun with the perks system too. I feel like it's a nice compromise of decisions mattering while still maintaining flexibility.

I have pretty much completely ignored the existence of other players, except for a few events popping up and one time when I ran into a giant sheep monster and ended up fighting it with another player. I might try more multiplayer stuff later, or I might not, but honestly I've already more than gotten my money's worth from this game just from the solo experience (actually I got it free on Xbox game pass, but I would have gotten my money's worth even if I paid). I don't know if I can honestly say I like it more than NV, but it's a lot closer than I ever expected it to be.

More and more people are saying this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The weird long rear end pauses during dialogue never stopped annoying me but at least you can click and force the next line to play. The thing that really bugs me about F76 is how everything is aggressively throttled, especially how all the vendors share the same pool of caps and you're forced to start throwing resources away to make room for a semi cool thing you might like to try at some point. Constantly going through tons of plastic to try to package up scrap into bulk units to compress it a little bit. Or pay a hundred bucks a year to worry about that less I guess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

The weird long rear end pauses during dialogue never stopped annoying me but at least you can click and force the next line to play. The thing that really bugs me about F76 is how everything is aggressively throttled, especially how all the vendors share the same pool of caps and you're forced to start throwing resources away to make room for a semi cool thing you might like to try at some point. Constantly going through tons of plastic to try to package up scrap into bulk units to compress it a little bit. Or pay a hundred bucks a year to worry about that less I guess.

If you like the game and plan on playing it for a long time getting 1st for 1 month and just vacuuming every scrap piece and junk item into the scrap box is worth it. You can access items out of that box even after 1st ends. Just make sure to grab the mount you need and not the entire stack.

Or you learn to manage or figure out how to do mules.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mr Hootington posted:

More and more people are saying this.

I think the lesson here is what most Bethesda games really need is 3 more years of bug fixes, content additions, and quality of life tweaks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What (games in general) need is more dev time and releasing a game, not a barebones idea held together by a vague promise of day one content in two years

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

3 years after launch, Fallout 76 is a game that can be hesitantly recommended to fans of the Fallout series who have played all the other Fallout games (so long as they can try 76 for free via GamePass). The faintest of praise.

The game improved a lot by straight up deleting content. Survival Mode, PvP, Nuclear Winter, Vault Raids, hunger/thirst penalties, etc. There are so many examples of content that nobody wanted and was so poorly implemented that Bethesda decided it was beyond fixing. The failure of the game wasn't just because of how buggy it is or that it was released too early, a lot of it was a failure to identify what Fallout fans wanted (combined with the inability to make the new ideas engaging enough to attract non-Fallout fans to compensate).

You can see echoes of this now with New World's release, where it has aspects of Rust & World of Warcraft but too little of either (and also poorly implemented) to convert those players to stay in their game.

Even after 3 years, though, it seems most players are still happier with Fallout 4:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Discospawn posted:

3 years after launch, Fallout 76 is a game that can be hesitantly recommended to fans of the Fallout series who have played all the other Fallout games (so long as they can try 76 for free via GamePass). The faintest of praise.

The game improved a lot by straight up deleting content. Survival Mode, PvP, Nuclear Winter, Vault Raids, hunger/thirst penalties, etc. There are so many examples of content that nobody wanted and was so poorly implemented that Bethesda decided it was beyond fixing. The failure of the game wasn't just because of how buggy it is or that it was released too early, a lot of it was a failure to identify what Fallout fans wanted (combined with the inability to make the new ideas engaging enough to attract non-Fallout fans to compensate).

You can see echoes of this now with New World's release, where it has aspects of Rust & World of Warcraft but too little of either (and also poorly implemented) to convert those players to stay in their game.

Even after 3 years, though, it seems most players are still happier with Fallout 4:

Bring Back nuclear winter and open the vaults!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I like quite a lot of things about F76, it's been a really good value considering I got it for ten bucks. The map is overall very interesting, and I have grown to really like how realtime VATS works compared to previous Bethesda Fallout iterations, it isn't perfect (really annoying how it crops my commando out of VATS every couple of bullets) but it's very good at giving you the feeling of being Good At Video Games without actually being good at video games

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I liked the thirst/hunger penalties :kiddo:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Discospawn posted:

The game improved a lot by straight up deleting content. Survival Mode, PvP, Nuclear Winter, Vault Raids, hunger/thirst penalties, etc.

The game definitely improved by taking out nuclear winter and adding in worlds. Everyone loves the worlds.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

it's very good at giving you the feeling of being Good At Video Games without actually being good at video games

Pretty much.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Chinese Stealth Suit + melee ninja, it works really well, much better than I expected!

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

So I've been itching to try 76 again, given that it sounds like they've added quite a bit since release, including NPCs(?). At release, I played on PC and was at or near the level cap by the time I got sick of the completely dead world and uninstalled.

Would it be better to fire this thing up on XBox Game Pass and start fresh to see how it onboards people these days, or reinstall on PC so I could dive into the new content with an already-developed character?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If you already have a character I would keep playing it. Most of the good content is lvl 50+ anyways.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Another Bill posted:

If you already have a character I would keep playing it. Most of the good content is lvl 50+ anyways.

As a fresh level 17 new to this game person, what kind of content opens up past 50?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

.Ataraxia. posted:

As a fresh level 17 new to this game person, what kind of content opens up past 50?

You get the best 3 star armors / weapons and most of the best events like Scorchbeast Queens and Daily OPs. It's not a ton but the game is just more fun with bigger guns and tougher enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Another Bill posted:

You get the best 3 star armors / weapons and most of the best events like Scorchbeast Queens and Daily OPs. It's not a ton but the game is just more fun with bigger guns and tougher enemies.

Thank you! Im still in the honeymoon phase having a blast just exploring and doing random quests.