Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yes , it shows up as two different devices . As far as I know 0 is the zWave and 1 is the Zigbee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
the latest update for homeassistant broke my integration with homebridge which i was using to integrate with my two nest thermostats

no matter what i do homeassistant is not letting me re-add the homebridge controller. anyone experienced this before?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any good garden moisture/soil sensors out there?

Big backyard incoming and it would be sick to have a bunch of different pots/beds rooted into home assistant for maintenance.

Maybe even automating some water valves to do zone watering with misters or a soker hose.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the Rachio 3 controller can interface with moisture sensors? I don’t know anything about which sensor to buy, however.

https://support.rachio.com/en_us/soil-sensor-faq-B1Q1dI1Fv

I already treat my irrigation like a drat RPG, tinkering with my settings weekly. I hate this thread and how it gives me more ideas to automate in my house.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

House I'm grabbing has a adt protectron panel at the front door.

Rolling diy with homeassistant, is there anything I can do to get use of the panel? Or should it just be dumpstered?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

House I'm grabbing has a adt protectron panel at the front door.

Rolling diy with homeassistant, is there anything I can do to get use of the panel? Or should it just be dumpstered?

Depends a lot on what it is specifically. Go find the actual alarm system controller in the basement/a closet and see what you have. Even if the hardware in that itself isn't useful because it's locked down, you could replace it with something else and use some or all of the wiring, sensors and keypads to integrate with HA potentially. But you need to know what you're working with first.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Motronic posted:

Depends a lot on what it is specifically. Go find the actual alarm system controller in the basement/a closet and see what you have. Even if the hardware in that itself isn't useful because it's locked down, you could replace it with something else and use some or all of the wiring, sensors and keypads to integrate with HA potentially. But you need to know what you're working with first.

Ah I guess your right, there will be some seperate security box somewhere. Didn't see it in my final walkthrough today but I get possession tommorow so I'll get some models and go from thete

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you end up integrating HA and want to use Konnected, lemme know. I've got a kit that I bought years ago and never really got hooked up. I went with Ring instead.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Ah I guess your right, there will be some seperate security box somewhere. Didn't see it in my final walkthrough today but I get possession tommorow so I'll get some models and go from thete

w00tmonger posted:

This is what I'm working with. 2gig go! Control panel.

Looks like this is the main box. Opened it up and it has a Telus sim etc so seems to be a zwave hub

So I guess it'll really come down to if I can make the sensors/cameras work and rip this thing out/hack it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

This is what I'm working with. 2gig go! Control panel.

Looks like this is the main box. Opened it up and it has a Telus sim etc so seems to be a zwave hub

So I guess it'll really come down to if I can make the sensors/cameras work and rip this thing out/hack it

Ooh that's what my place had, to replace an even older system.

I went with a Honeywell Lyric (HomeKit!) and installed a 5800C2W to take over the wired loops from the basement.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

movax posted:

Ooh that's what my place had, to replace an even older system.

I went with a Honeywell Lyric (HomeKit!) and installed a 5800C2W to take over the wired loops from the basement.

Still getting familiar with all this, but did you end up removing the panel altogether? 3 wired cameras and entry sensors on everything

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

azurite posted:

Apparently my smart plugs were from a period where their manufacturer was changing poo poo around without telling them, and they had all sorts of problems. I'm guessing this is why my firmware's not listed on their site (since it's not a guarantee which version I have). I sent them an email and they sent back a firmware file, so I'll see how that goes.

I will retract my gripes if it works out.

Friendship Regain With Inovelli

I finally had a spare hour I could dedicate to updating my dud switches. It's not easy or straightforward if you use the HUSBZB-1 + Windows method. However, I was eventually able to find the correct software and procedure to follow, and everything appears to work fine? I'll need to test more because the switches usually take a while before they decide to shut off by themselves.

For reference:
You can't download the "Z-Wave PC Controller" on its own anymore. You have to install the Silicon Labs Simplicity Studio and add it via the Tools button:
https://www.silabs.com/developers/z-wave-controller

You also need to install this driver for the HUSBZB-1 using the "Have Disk" method:
https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

This is the firmware update process for the Inovelli device, if you're lucky enough to have the correct firmware file:
https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-s-general-how-to-update-firmware-z-stick-z-wave-pc-controller

azurite fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 17, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Still getting familiar with all this, but did you end up removing the panel altogether? 3 wired cameras and entry sensors on everything

I removed the old 2Gig panels and the even older 1980s vintage Moose panels, yeah. In my garage, someone in history had gutted all the old security equipment / intercom stuff as well. So, I just put a new LV box there and tucked my 5800C2W + lead-acid battery in there. Upstairs, where the original keypad was, I spliced the sensor signals to take advantage of the old keypad power run from the garage, and then pulled that cable into the box and wired it up to the 5800C2W converter.

I guess the trend for even brand-new houses is to go fully wireless, so I have a ton of SiX-series detectors + 5800-series (cheaper, longer battery life on the simpler radios) window contact sensors. I went overboard because I can use those sensors for "free" in HomeKit to trigger automations because they are all exported by the Lyric -- so when I open my front door after sunset, my entry lights automatically turn on. Or, I get an alert if I've left poo poo open late at night -- quite nice.

IMO wired sensors win every single time and I wish they made a SiX-encrypted version of the 5800C2W, but can't argue with trends / cheaper cost of install, I guess.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Partycat posted:

+nthing the HUSBZB-1. It's been just fine on Z-Wave for me, no issues. At least one that's out there has a battery and a button so you can take it with you for device inclusion, but I haven't had so many things as to need that feature.

I have to say it's been a bit eye opening how much work has gone into projects like ZWaveJS and HomeAssistant to try and put the solution together. It almost seems too polished sometimes.

I wish I'd understood a bit better how some of the underlying pieces worked, so I would have been less frustrated about Zjs2MQTT and missing entities, devices that don't seem to update but have a delta threshold I didn't know existed. Once things clicked it's become much easier to take more steps and do some really neat things with HA and these sensors and toys. But it still is a project and really lends itself to tinkers.

How is the range on Z-Wave or the HUSBZB-1 in general through floors? My HomeAssistant lives on a VM in my home server in the basement but all my Z-Wave devices are on my main floor. Now my house is pretty tiny so the distance between the devices and my server isn't that far, one is almost directly above the server.

I also have a RP4 on the main floor that runs Mycroft (Pircroft) and was debating trying to stick a Z-Wave hat or USB into and then maybe install docker and run ZWaveJS2MQTT and have that link to HA? But I'm not super skilled with HomeAssistant or even Linux in general so if I could still just put the receiver on the actual server and just pass it through directly to the HA VM that seems much simpler.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scruff McGruff posted:

How is the range on Z-Wave or the HUSBZB-1 in general through floors? My HomeAssistant lives on a VM in my home server in the basement but all my Z-Wave devices are on my main floor. Now my house is pretty tiny so the distance between the devices and my server isn't that far, one is almost directly above the server.

I also have a RP4 on the main floor that runs Mycroft (Pircroft) and was debating trying to stick a Z-Wave hat or USB into and then maybe install docker and run ZWaveJS2MQTT and have that link to HA? But I'm not super skilled with HomeAssistant or even Linux in general so if I could still just put the receiver on the actual server and just pass it through directly to the HA VM that seems much simpler.

I have mine on my basement NAS on a VM running HA.

I just made sure I added a few lightswitches and/or plugs that also function as Zwave repeaters and range hasn't been an issue.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

Like That Works, I have mine installed in my basement sticking off the top of a RPi. I don't have any issues with it reaching up a couple of floors of the duplex I'm in. Laterally everything may be within ~30-50 feet.

The little bit I think I understand about ZWaveJS2MQTT is that it does give you the opportunity to have ZWave transceivers located remotely, since it will publish over MQTT. I gave up with this as entities did not map the same as a direct ZWave integration, and I didn't feel like trying to figure out how to map them manually. Powered devices can be repeaters forming a network that would let you extend range if that's an issue and you have that sort of device. The USB device also seems to present itself as a serial device, so I wonder if there's another way to have a tunneled remote serial port, should that be an issue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

movax posted:

I removed the old 2Gig panels and the even older 1980s vintage Moose panels, yeah. In my garage, someone in history had gutted all the old security equipment / intercom stuff as well. So, I just put a new LV box there and tucked my 5800C2W + lead-acid battery in there. Upstairs, where the original keypad was, I spliced the sensor signals to take advantage of the old keypad power run from the garage, and then pulled that cable into the box and wired it up to the 5800C2W converter.

I guess the trend for even brand-new houses is to go fully wireless, so I have a ton of SiX-series detectors + 5800-series (cheaper, longer battery life on the simpler radios) window contact sensors. I went overboard because I can use those sensors for "free" in HomeKit to trigger automations because they are all exported by the Lyric -- so when I open my front door after sunset, my entry lights automatically turn on. Or, I get an alert if I've left poo poo open late at night -- quite nice.

IMO wired sensors win every single time and I wish they made a SiX-encrypted version of the 5800C2W, but can't argue with trends / cheaper cost of install, I guess.

Ive been digging into this 2gig Go panel and I may just need to tear it out if I want to hook into it for automation.

Sensors are all radio based I think on some 345 Mhz Band. I may leave it in place to have some sort of security, then add additional zwave sensors on the front/back doors for actual automation which is really all I care about anyways.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Ive been digging into this 2gig Go panel and I may just need to tear it out if I want to hook into it for automation.

Sensors are all radio based I think on some 345 Mhz Band. I may leave it in place to have some sort of security, then add additional zwave sensors on the front/back doors for actual automation which is really all I care about anyways.

I have a (different but similar) radio alarm system and integrated the radio sensors using a RaspberryPi and an SDR dongle - definitely not perfect but it does work to get the sensors in. (Look into rtl_433.)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Kalman posted:

I have a (different but similar) radio alarm system and integrated the radio sensors using a RaspberryPi and an SDR dongle - definitely not perfect but it does work to get the sensors in. (Look into rtl_433.)

this is all seeming like such a pain in the rear end. At this point I may just buy some more ring sensors and roll my own.

seems like a way better route for what will cost me like $60 in sensors to monitor everything. Happy to dig into programming this out, but a bunch of plag n play zigbee/zwave stuff skips out on so much shenanigans and I can just replace the panel with a proper lovelace UI as well at that point

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I primarily use Phillip Hue lights is my best bet Phillips hue motion sensors if I want to add that functionality? If later down the road, I'd like my motion sensors to be in sync with more than just lighting would I end up wanting a different product?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Megasabin posted:

If I primarily use Phillip Hue lights is my best bet Phillips hue motion sensors if I want to add that functionality? If later down the road, I'd like my motion sensors to be in sync with more than just lighting would I end up wanting a different product?

If you use HomeKit, Google Home, or whatever else automation system Hue is compatible with then as long as the sensors are compatible with said automation system it should work. Theoretically speaking of course. There are always hiccups. Google around with what you are thinking and chances are someone has already tried and wrote how great or awful it is.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, I haven't used it myself but I know Hue lights and sensors are fully compatible with HomeAssistant, so you shouldn't locked in down the road if you decide to go with a different tool. It just might mean that you have to use a different automation controller (switching from the Hue app to HomeKit or HomeAssistant).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I mainly meant to ask about the ability of Hue’s motion sensor to act as a general purpose motion sensor. If I have another use for a motion sensor, say for security purposes or activating a camera, can I use Hue’s motion sensor to do that, or is it strictly to be used to activate Hue’s lights and nothing else?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I mainly meant to ask about the ability of Hue’s motion sensor to act as a general purpose motion sensor. If I have another use for a motion sensor, say for security purposes or activating a camera, can I use Hue’s motion sensor to do that, or is it strictly to be used to activate Hue’s lights and nothing else?

You should definitely be able to do this, they should show as an independent entity with their own actions so you can tie their actions to any other automations you want. I'm speaking specifically for HomeAssistant but that should generally be true for any controller that supports Hue/Zigbee.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Anyone having a sale on zigbee switches and motion sensors?

Also are there any good doorbells to check out, i want the G4 but those require a unifi protect setup which is a bit outside my scope at the moment.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Actually for some reason Hue doesn't expose the motion sensor to Home Assistant via integration. I've been meaning to pull mine out of Hue and see if it works with regular ZigBee.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Cut the ends off those cable ties! Someone is going to poke their eye out!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

God help me if Lutron Caseta switches go on sale Friday.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

God help me if Lutron Caseta switches go on sale Friday.

I feel the same way. The lights in my new place are set up pretty crazy and I'd kill to just automate everything.

Is there a good budget option for doing a ton of lighting. Enough light switches it's gonna cost a small fortune to do my whole place otherwise

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Actually for some reason Hue doesn't expose the motion sensor to Home Assistant via integration. I've been meaning to pull mine out of Hue and see if it works with regular ZigBee.

Well that's what I get for just guessing when I haven't done it myself.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m so annoyed that the folks who wired my house have almost every three-way ceiling light with the load in between the switches. What a crappy way to save some romex.

This limits me from the Leviton Zwave switches to the Jasco/GE ones because of the way they work.

The Jasco ones don’t pass the wife test because they are so slow to ramp on and off.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can't find any info on this one way or the other, can anyone with Casetta on/off switches (so not the dimmers) confirm that they just switch on and off, rather than fading on and off like the dimmers do?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

FISHMANPET posted:

I can't find any info on this one way or the other, can anyone with Caseta on/off switches (so not the dimmers) confirm that they just switch on and off, rather than fading on and off like the dimmers do?

I can confirm this. They are relay-based devices.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My boss tasked me with finding a small hidden-ish camera for her house since she's having issues with a family dispute. It needs to be tiny, have audio, and be monitored from an app. I don't even know where to look for that combo. I tried suggesting the small Wyze ones but those are too big

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TacoHavoc posted:

I can confirm this. They are relay-based devices.

I think it has to be a good portion of the same guts / core power circuitry as the dimmers — it’s usually the same price or just $5 cheaper than the vanilla Caseta dimmer.

I have 2 or 3 in spots where dimming just made 0 sense (like controlling an outlet), but otherwise I’m all dimmers everywhere.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My boss tasked me with finding a small hidden-ish camera for her house since she's having issues with a family dispute. It needs to be tiny, have audio, and be monitored from an app. I don't even know where to look for that combo. I tried suggesting the small Wyze ones but those are too big

Stay the gently caress out of it, that definitely falls under Not Your Problem.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

devmd01 posted:

Stay the gently caress out of it, that definitely falls under Not Your Problem.

I wish that were an option but it's not

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Our apartment has a gas boiler that provides hot water and runs the radiators. I'd like to replace the old thermostat with a smart one.

Does anyone have an opinion on either of these?

https://www.netatmo.com/en-eu/energy/thermostat
https://www.tado.com/all-en/smart-thermostat

I like that they are wireless and have the option to add individual control units to the radiators.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wish that were an option but it's not

Tell her to Google "nanny cam". There are a ton of them out there and they're built to be simple to use and easy to hide. She doesn't need a complicated solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Hed posted:

The Jasco ones don’t pass the wife test because they are so slow to ramp on and off.

That is a configurable setting, you can make it as fast as you want. Separate settings for ramp rate when using the physical switch as well as z-wave.