Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheBizzness posted:

You all keep asking what icky likes about Jorp but it’s all right there in black and white, clear as crystal.

When I read their posts I get about 1/3 of the way through before my eyes gloss over from the pseudo intellectual word salad which is the exact same thing that happens when I listen to Peterson’s chaos dragon bullshit.

I wish I had copy/saved the goon’s quote about brevity being the real sign of intelligence because good lord.

that goon stole that line from some guy called william shakesman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Actually the Shakespeare said "endless pontificating is the soul of wit, which is to say that the more loquacious you are the more sharply intelligent you will be perceived to be. Truly an unceasing deluge of half formed thoughts wrapped in the packaging of intellectualism is the height of cognitive function. It cannot be overstated how essential a robust recitation is to the self-image of a man boasting incredible mental acuity."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

why are y'all so obsessed with Ihki? :smug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Better say something quick before everybody thinks you're stupid."
~ Sun Tzu

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ihki do you agree with Jorp that women shouldn’t wear makeup in the workplace?

Does he say that women shouldn’t work at all, or at least imply it in that wormy motte-and-bailey way of his?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Who What Now posted:

Actually the Shakespeare said "endless pontificating is the soul of wit, which is to say that the more loquacious you are the more sharply intelligent you will be perceived to be. Truly an unceasing deluge of half formed thoughts wrapped in the packaging of intellectualism is the height of cognitive function. It cannot be overstated how essential a robust recitation is to the self-image of a man boasting incredible mental acuity."

This quote is what icky and jorp think they sound like loving :laffo:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jorp’s voice gives me the same strong sense of aversion I get from hearing people chew or loudly sip a beverage.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ihki do you agree with Jorp that women shouldn’t wear makeup in the workplace?

If this is really keeping so many of you you guys up at night, then for gently caress's sake, no. As interested as you are on my gender politics, I've already written more than a few sympathetic points on queer gender theory, even if I think it is broadly a product of neoliberal subjectivity. Considering she was called a good writer, you can open up Butler's Gender Trouble to find out how true that is. I agree with most of it, and it is basically the Dragon of Chaos for Jorp. If you want to make me a Jorp defender on gender issues, that's really your problem.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Ihki posted:

If this is really keeping so many of you you guys up at night, then for gently caress's sake, no. As interested as you are on my gender politics, I've already written more than a few sympathetic points on queer gender theory, even if I think it is broadly a product of neoliberal subjectivity. Considering she was called a good writer, you can open up Butler's Gender Trouble to find out how true that is. I agree with most of it, and it is basically the Dragon of Chaos for Jorp. If you want to make me a Jorp defender on gender issues, that's really your problem.

Why use many word when few word work?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Tarkus posted:

I present to you, the MEAT MOUNTAIN!

Be warned friends! Do not drink even a sip of apple cider, for it will be absolutely catastrophic! Overwhelming impending doom!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Jorpo answers the question "What would a philosophy look like if it was based on a misremembered Final Fantasy game by a guy who is afraid of women"

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Dongsturm posted:

Why use many word when few word work?

Gotta give Ihki some credit there, that post is them at their most readable and clear.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Ihki posted:

How come you won't reply to me directly? And why do you need us to read someone else's work to understand your stance on Jorp and women? Why can't you just say Yes or No?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ihki posted:

The problem is that gender issues are his foundational appeal. The only reason he's famous is for willfully misunderstanding anti-bigotry laws.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Terrible Opinions posted:

The problem is that gender issues are his foundational appeal. The only reason he's famous is for willfully misunderstanding anti-bigotry laws.

Well, there you have it, one of the many, many reasons why I don't like Jordan Peterson.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 17, 2021

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Jorpo answers the question "What would a philosophy look like if it was based on a misremembered Final Fantasy game by a guy who is afraid of women"

Final Fantasy 8 no less, where you can draw conclusions so long as you junction a few philosophers with that ability. Or is it GFs? No, couldn't be that.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Ihki posted:

Well, there you have it, one of many, many the reasons why I don't like Jordan Peterson.

:lol: You're such a piece of poo poo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
do you guys think that jorp grunts or whines when he strains to evacuate his meat-impacted bowels? I think he starts off grunting but gives up after the first 20 minutes and reverts to making sad kermit sounds

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I think it's just a soft, constant sob caught in his throat

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Tighclops posted:

do you guys think that jorp grunts or whines when he strains to evacuate his meat-impacted bowels? I think he starts off grunting but gives up after the first 20 minutes and reverts to making sad kermit sounds

he probably mutters under his breath in his trademark cadence throughout the whole torturous 2-hour ordeal

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

We all know he scoops it out with a long spoon.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I'm going to remember "written more than a few sympathetic points on queer gender theory" and "a product of neoliberal subjectivity" for the rest of my life, probably in a Kermit voice.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Ihki posted:

Well, there you have it, one of the many, many reasons why I don't like Jordan Peterson.

The Ludovico technique works! Huzzah!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I'm going to remember "written more than a few sympathetic points on queer gender theory" and "a product of neoliberal subjectivity" for the rest of my life, probably in a Kermit voice.
I love "I have in the past mildly agreed with thing, although thing is a product of other thing I despise"

Just commit to an opinion my dude.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Long-Time Lurker posted:

try as i might, i can't read ikhi's posts in jorp's voice. i'm pretty sure english is not ikhi's first language; their manner of writing suggests an academic background with little-to-no direct language exposure, with a strong undercurrent of "used to be the smartest person in their class; trying to catch that high again by arguing with strangers on the internet"

if i had to bet, i'd bet on ikhi being a second-year undergrad or so (worst case: studying for masters) in a STEM-related field in a middling european university (probably north of Italy, or Belgium) with a budding interest in philosophy and an entirely-unearned seen-it-all brilliant-but-lazy anime protagonist self-image

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

No one can successfully argue against my posts if I’m sufficiently verbose :smuggo:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ihki posted:

How do u explain this: https://youtu.be/6NDhl6zYFyI

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

eSporks posted:

I love "I have in the past mildly agreed with thing, although thing is a product of other thing I despise"

Just commit to an opinion my dude.

I tried that once for a political cause I believed in. Per ECHR, that made me a political prisoner of conscience, or thinking intersectionally, a POC. A POC who reads and mostly agrees with Judith Butler. Imagine failing a purity test on those grounds. Projecting your (I'm presuming) performative hatred of neoliberalism onto me isn't all so accurate, though. The main concern is that I find Butler's reading of history problematic.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr

Ihki posted:

He might be a competent clinical psychologist as Zizek says. And I am both sympathetic of and critical of postmodernity, thinking Peterson touches on some real issues of the epoch in ways that are mostly flawed, but not entirely. For whatever things he's dishonest about, I don't doubt Peterson in how he's to thank for more people not killing themselves than he is for ruining people's lives. And if that's true, then I really do think it's better that someone has wound up getting a clean room and a job instead of the rope after being inspired by the mostly anodyne self-help of 12 rules. Usually, when something works, you're inclined top keep doing it. If they pick up conservative politics and conspiracies from it, then that's bad. If they don't, that's better. Politically and subjectively speaking, I think Jorp is dangerous, but the net impact is a lot more complicated than to inflate his worst positions and project them to be the whole person and his social impact. I made a previous comparison with Lowtax, who I couldn't really totalize to be a human monster, either.

I don't know if that's a direct answer, but I don't have much respect, agreement or affection for him. If I could replace him with a GBS poster then I guess I would, if only because maybe nothing is better than something.

That's not a direct answer - which of his points do you agree with?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

That's not a direct answer - which of his points do you agree with?

All of them :owned:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ihki posted:

I tried that once for a political cause I believed in. Per ECHR, that made me a political prisoner of conscience, or thinking intersectionally, a POC. A POC who reads and mostly agrees with Judith Butler. Imagine failing a purity test on those grounds. Projecting your (I'm presuming) performative hatred of neoliberalism onto me isn't all so accurate, though. The main concern is that I find Butler's reading of history problematic.

In the strongest possible terms: gently caress you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nurmie posted:

dril is a better philosopher than jorp and i'm not even joking
:hmmyes:
dril is a great taoist master

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr

Ihki posted:

All of them :owned:

what "real issues of the epoch" do you think he touches on?

Surely he says something interesting about those.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Ihki posted:

Father? I once tried marmalade. It offended me. Grossly it did offend me! It made me a prisoner to the pithy substance, my tongue contorted, my heart shriveled. Imagine it father. Please. I am a being who can survive many flavours. Yet this marmalade, it did contort my visage to that of a mewling cat. Father, I think you're projecting when you strike me with that belt so, I think you strike at me as a way of expressing your own distaste with that orange rind filled substance. I cannot help my distaste of marmalade just as you cannot contain your own rage for it, and your projection of internal violence onto me, but please, contain yourself, or be struck down by my words, for they are many, ponderous, and well placed, surely father, surely! Our history is problematic. Can't you see?

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
this guy is now obsessed with butler because I mentioned them offhand, once

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

but the hate boner does come from a real creative place - jorp is the reaction to the creation and the hate boner is about his incomprehensible attack on that creation! there is already a viable alternative to the conservative fever dream of purposeless manhood and its to read butler and friends, get on board with the new world where men need to earn the right to speak rather than just being handed the mic, and loving create their own masculinity with their pals, either on the football field, camping, looking after your kids, or in the loving truckstop bathroom wearing a short skirt at the gloryhole - whatever. For all his mewling against people being soft in the world and needing to earn his respect, his reactionary perspective is that men have some Divine purpose in the world. "Men" is a concept that barely exists and jorp's perception of it was mostly invented as an ad campaign by cigarette companies in the 60s.

lmao apparently now butler is jorp's opposition which is a funny reactionary little savior fantasy

jorp fans are wild

ed: that's literally the first mention of butler in this thread

BIG BABY JESUS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 17, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ihki posted:

You can't poo poo either, you're trying to in this thread but you can't! The poo poo stays within you! Plorp.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

lmao apparently now butler is jorp's opposition which is a funny reactionary little savior fantasy

jorp fans are wild

ed: that's literally the first mention of butler in this thread

And I talked about them multiple times afterwards since I have opinions on their philosophy. I might've brought her (e: them, it's been hard to get used to but IIRC they don't really mind if I've missed a few) up anyway, having written some essays before on the whole transcendentalism/history/postmodernity/Butler/Zizek/Hegel space I mentioned. That's been central to my critique of some postmodern happenings. Wouldn't call it celebrated, but well received, anyway.

If it's clear that my respect for them is a reactionary fantasy used to cover up my secret sympathies for Peterson's trans bigotry, then I simply can't fathom how that even works. I also called some ideas of gender identity in 21st century LGBT ideology rigid and conservative, that would be a better angle to call me a Nazi sympathizer or whatever. Because yeah, maybe I am a reactionary, but that can at least be a radical position. This thread is worse yet, simply conservative.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 17, 2021

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr

Ihki posted:

And I talked about them multiple times afterwards since I have opinions on their philosophy. I might've brought her up anyway, having written some essays before on the whole transcendentalism/history/postmodernity/Butler/Zizek/Hegel space I mentioned. That's been central to my critique of some postmodern happenings. Wouldn't call it celebrated, but well received, anyway.

If it's clear that my respect for them is a reactionary fantasy used to cover up my secret sympathies for Peterson's trans bigotry, then I simply can't fathom how that even works. I also called some ideas of gender identity in 21st century LGBT ideology rigid and conservative, that would be a better angle to call me a Nazi sympathizer or whatever. Because yeah, maybe I am a reactionary, but that can at least be a radical position. This thread is worse yet, simply conservative.

okokokokok but when you say he touches on "real issues of the epoch" what issues do you think he's touching on?

just say the quiet part loud my dude! what's good about jorp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ihki posted:

And I talked about them multiple times afterwards since I have opinions on their philosophy. I might've brought her up anyway, having written some essays before on the whole transcendentalism/history/postmodernity/Butler/Zizek/Hegel space I mentioned. That's been central to my critique of some postmodern happenings. Wouldn't call it celebrated, but well received, anyway.

Why do you write like this? Seriously why can't you write the way a real human being talks? Do you just not get the opportunity to talk to other people in English except in internet slap fights?