Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I haven't followed the cowboy bebop stuff closely beyond they seem to be doing shot-for-shot of the series and that was never going to please fans because it's too close to the original format that people think is perfect. We'll see.

While WOT has always just been text and sorta a video game.

Nihilarian posted:

Walking on eggshells desperately trying not alter the vision of the vision of the original author is the quickest way to make an absolute dogshit adaptation. Things that work for some media absolutely do not work for other media, and when you alter those things to fit the media its being adapted to, you will inevitably inject parts of yourself into the script. This is not a bad thing to be avoided, this is how you make something good.

Also the universe is explicitly cyclical (it's called the loving Wheel of Time). It genuinely makes more sense to treat this as another cycle than to get all worked up about inevitable changes that will be made to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's inevitable, but you'd think that at least some of them would realize WoT predates GoT and was an influence on it.

WOT may have had influence on GOT as books, but GOT can still influence how WOT is made into a TV show.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I get that and agree. I just think that anime fans in particular are hard to please and I think the original CB series doesn't really stand up to the incredibly high pedestal that it's fans put it on, despite being a pretty well put together cartoon.

Again, my partner who has never seen the original will be a good measure for someone going into it cold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

WOT may have had influence on GOT as books, but GOT can still influence how WOT is made into a TV show.

Oh sure, but at minimum it's more complicated than "lol this is just GoT" or "lol this is just LotR"

https://twitter.com/damon_p_heard/status/1460780141882314758?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've avoided anime since high school specifically because of the fans. So, you know.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does her magic come from her ring?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Technically she does get powered up with a bracelet angreal after she gets depowered later in the series.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

I haven't followed the cowboy bebop stuff closely beyond they seem to be doing shot-for-shot of the series and that was never going to please fans because it's too close to the original format that people think is perfect. We'll see.

While WOT has always just been text and sorta a video game.

One description I saw of the typical Cowboy Bebop review is "It wasn't everything I dreamed of but I enjoyed myself so it was bad actually." Which is always an issue in adapting or remaking something beloved, but standards are usually lower going from page to screen than from one screen adaptation to another.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oh sure, but at minimum it's more complicated than "lol this is just GoT" or "lol this is just LotR"

https://twitter.com/damon_p_heard/status/1460780141882314758?s=20

First book is super influenced by LotR. There's a lot of easy parallels. It's more complicated but I get it.

Having rings be important(AS rings, ter'angreal rings, etc) probably is somewhat influenced by Tolkien.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Completely separate book discussion:

RJ mentions breasts unnecessarily a lot in these books.

Also has women be naked for no real reason a lot.

I'm on book 4 of my reread and it's noticeable as an adult.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jaxyon posted:

Completely separate book discussion:

RJ mentions breasts unnecessarily a lot in these books.

Also has women be naked for no real reason a lot.

I'm on book 4 of my reread and it's noticeable as an adult.

Well yeah RJ is a pervy little bastard despite his (good) effort at making a feminist series

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skyl3lazer posted:

Well yeah RJ is a pervy little bastard despite his (good) effort at making a feminist series

There are literally no women at all in the entire series that RJ ever describes as less than "handsome"

everyone, everyone, is hot

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not saying much but the dude was also somehow less of a creep/perv than like the grand majority of dudes writing fantasy, so i have to give him credit for that on some level however it came about

There are literally no women at all in the entire series that RJ ever describes as less than "handsome"

yeah honestly i'm pretty fine with it just being the standard for literally every character unless exceedingly established otherwise, it becomes benign background noise mostly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's not saying much but the dude was also somehow less of a creep/perv than like the grand majority of dudes writing fantasy, so i have to give him credit for that on some level however it came about

I mean, he was pretty obviously a perv, he was just generally less of a creep

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

look i stand by what i've said, there's worse out there and i had the misfortune to stumble into it when i was a kid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
the big jacket quote on Eye of the World when it first came out was

quote:

"“This has magic and pacing and detail and human involvement, with a certain subtlety of a presentation and a grand central vision. Robert Jordan… is a lot of writer!” – Piers Anthony

1990 was a hell of a time

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hessalam. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

piers anthony, still one of the gold standards of 'wait, he put WHAT into his books?'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

Hessalam. :colbert:

Technically Sanderson

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Technically Sanderson

Evidence: Hessalam isn't hot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

piers anthony, still one of the gold standards of 'wait, he put WHAT into his books?'

i had a friend tell me about him in sixth grade and i noped out and went back to jack london

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

the big jacket quote on Eye of the World when it first came out was

1990 was a hell of a time

I mean Piers Anthony calling your writing subtle is certainly damning with faint praise.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

How are u posted:

I mean, when the story behind the show's greenlighting was Jeff Bezos (the coward) saying "make me the next Game of Thrones" I figure the comparison is inevitable.

I see this talking point often but I'm not convinced it's not clickbait. I mean, how would anybody be privy to strategic planning for amazon studios or bezos personal thoughts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

Shortly after the first LotR film came out, I remember riding the bus and overhearing a bunch of kids arguing about them. And one kid said Gandalf was just a knock-off Dumbledore...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

reading the spoilers no narg, the show is already ruined

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this got posted in the other thread and is really cool, closeups on assembling the trolloc costumes and the carbon fiber/titanium stilts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqIVFklx14

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SerSpook posted:

reading the spoilers no narg, the show is already ruined

cancelling the show rn

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

eke out posted:

this got posted in the other thread and is really cool, closeups on assembling the trolloc costumes and the carbon fiber/titanium stilts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqIVFklx14

That's the video they showed at the end after the two episodes Monday night! Cool stuff.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

(tv magic) Not splitting the one power in to saidin/saidar is actually probably the cleanest way to remove a key part of the gender essentialism without really changing the story beats. Thinking about it more, I really like it as the solution to trans issues in the show world. Sure it feels like a big change, but when you drill in to it I think changing the dichotomy to "how men and women USE the power is different" vs the power itself being different solved a lot of issues, and is an easy distinction to add in other places.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Currently sitting at 74% on Rottentomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_wheel_of_time/s01

The mantra I've been repeating for the last few weeks of "please don't suck, please don't suck" may be working. Criticism seems to linger on the generic fantasy opening and some weak characterization, which should go away with further seasons.

Also a clip of Nynaeve and Moraine just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPY1ucmAMw

I like them.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah the negative reviews are all either "fantasy sucks what's a trolloc lol" or things that are legit critiques of the first book but which go away in later books (too much like Tolkien, etc.)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yeah the negative reviews are all either "fantasy sucks what's a trolloc lol" or things that are legit critiques of the first book but which go away in later books (too much like Tolkien, etc.)

tbf trolloc is one the worst names he used

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The series doesnt even get good until book 3,4 ish

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hexel posted:

The series doesnt even get good until book 3,4 ish

The first three books are good. They're well done standard fantasy books. It's Rand among the crystal pillars in TSR where the series first touches on greatness.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

jng2058 posted:

The first three books are good. They're well done standard fantasy books. It's Rand among the crystal pillars in TSR where the series first touches on greatness.

Perrin’s TSR storyline in the two rivers is better :twisted:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Book 2 is pretty loving solid.

“I win again, Lews Therin!” Is the kind of thing that would be another series’s high point.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The best part in the series remains Rodel's guerilla war against the Seanchan, a storyline that for sure will be cut from the show.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Thordain posted:

The best part in the series remains Rodel's guerilla war against the Seanchan, a storyline that for sure will be cut from the show.

ok, now this opinion is epic

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Book 2 is pretty loving solid.

“I win again, Lews Therin!” Is the kind of thing that would be another series’s high point.

The vision/alternate world things are something RJ does well. The Tar Valon ter'angreal for the accepted are usually strong, just like the Rhuidean ones are. And the snakes/foxes.

I don't know about another series high point, but it's something I think he's good at.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How do the Two Rivers Wisdoms not know they can channel? Even if they only have one girl with the spark every few generations, and only 1 in 4 of those survive they'd still have several women wandering around who look 40 but have been chilling for centuries. During the book's timeline there's 3 or 4 girls just from this generation that have the spark so if that's the normal rate they'd be producing someone capable of living centuries every 20-50 years or so, there would be dozens of them wandering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

It's Rand among the crystal pillars in TSR where the series first touches on greatness

I think you're right