Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Watching dark movies with lovely encoding and every light in the house off isnt great, especially on panels with bad IPS glow in the corners. On my current 27GL83A, I've never really had problems in the dark at all, though. That said, I don't tend to play horror games or watch movies on it in the dark anymore. There is also some brightness loss off angle, but overall the viewing angles and colors are absolutely in another league than a TN so its basically a flat upgrade imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

How bad is gaming in the dark on an IPS monitor? I keep seeing it mentioned in my monitor shopping but I only have TN panels and it's not something you can test at a store.

TN panels on average have worse contrast than IPS monitors, so there's a chance you'll get an upgrade here, if your panel doesn't glow like crazy on you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 16, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have two of these Odyssey G7 28" 4K displays, and they've been a handful in combination with my 3080.

I've got NVidia to implement some fixes to make them bearable. I've also contacted Samsung, however it took a while for them to react. They tell me that my as GSync-compatible advertised displays are not compatible with NVidia's adaptive sync method.

:bravo:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 16, 2021

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

In general, a monitor backlight will help minimize those problems, as well as make a better viewing experience, right? I prefer to keep the room dark, but have used one for a while and it seems to help.

edit: otherwise known as "bias lighting" since backlight means something else in the context of LCDs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yes it should help.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There isn't a single go-to monitor. monitor tech is super frustrating because it's almost 2022 and everything is still a compromise. Even monitors with ludicrous 4-digit price tags will excel at one thing and be total dogshit at something else.

The Gigabyte M27Q is a great all-rounder with a very wide color gamut for the cost and pretty good response times. However, its BGR subpixels can make text slightly blurry in some applications like Chrome, though I think it's just chrome's interface text and google apps that are affected. Everything that uses cleartype is safe. This is the only monitor listed with this issue. It's usually around $300.

The LG 27GP83B is a solid monitor with top-tier response times, but its gamut isn't as wide as the M27U's, it has slightly worse contrast, and its factory calibration isn't as good. The price tends to move around a lot between $350 and $450. At $450 it's not worth it (the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is better at that price), but at $400 or less, it's an option worth considering.

Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx (make sure you get this keyboard smash exactly right) is very similar to the 27GP83B in most respects (including very fast response times), but with slightly better contrast usually and a better factory calibration. This is a monitor that's just pretty dang good with no obvious downsides beyond those inherent to all IPS displays (mediocre contrast and backlight bleed, though it seems better about these than LG displays tend to be). It's around $400 usually, but it's out of stock everywhere it seems.

Dell S2721DGF is $330 on Dell's website. It's an LG panel so the contrast is slightly below average for IPS, but it's pretty great in most other respects, especially for the price. The HP27q is $300 and I think it's just a carbon copy of this monitor. The Lenovo G27Q-20 might be too though I'm really not sure (the specs line up), also $300. LG likes selling this panel to OEMs like Dell and HP.

Anyway, when it comes to the $300 to $400 price range, those are the stand-out monitors. They're all reasonable purchases, in my opinion. My top pick would be the M27Q unless you would be affected by the BGR subpixels, in which case I'd pick the XV272U KV, except it's out of stock everywhere, so then I'd go with the Dell or HP monitors because they have good-quality LG panels at a nice, affordable price. The 27GP83B is better than those, but not enough to justify the price (it was $350 at best buy last week but it's back up to $450, bleh). The colors come oversaturated out of the box with no srgb emulation mode. Some people like that oversaturation, but this can be corrected in software with this handy tool.

Quoting this because I don't think it has changed much since aside from the wild MSI deal that most of us can't access.

My M27Q (they sent the right model this time) is beautiful out of box and text in Firefox is fine, but has a visibly darker vertical area along the right side, so unless that's somehow correctable this one is also going back.

The XV272U KVbmiiprzx is back in stock at Amazon for $435. Is that worth the extra $155 (I'm not expecting that one to go on sale anytime soon) as option #2 right now, or should I keep rolling the dice to try and get a good M27Q?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 16, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Further update: I just reviewed the Rtings article on it and the grey uniformity section says that the slight dark bands on the left and right are just part of the model. They don't mark it down as a serious negative because it's not visible in most types of content, but unfortunately for me, Shitposting Central and my web apps for work are all a single color across the window. In those situations it's visible enough to constantly annoy me. YMMV.

I know I'm picky about image quality, but that issue and the fact that it can't swivel at all are probably worth considering when buying/recommending. If you're not bothered by those, it's still a great deal given the price point vs quality, specs, and features.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Further update: I just reviewed the Rtings article on it and the grey uniformity section says that the slight dark bands on the left and right are just part of the model. They don't mark it down as a serious negative because it's not visible in most types of content, but unfortunately for me, Shitposting Central and my web apps for work are all a single color across the window. In those situations it's visible enough to constantly annoy me. YMMV.

I know I'm picky about image quality, but that issue and the fact that it can't swivel at all are probably worth considering when buying/recommending. If you're not bothered by those, it's still a great deal given the price point vs quality, specs, and features.

Hmm, I wonder if you got a bad model, or I got a particularly good one, cause I never noticed that, and as my posting history here can attest, I am picky.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Made the trek to Microcenter to get a MSI MAG274QRF-QD. Spent a bit of time updating the firmware to get the sRGB mode, messed with the colors for a bit and am trying out some games now. Already seems like a massive upgrade from my old $100 1080p60 screen. Quite happy so far.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Hmm, I wonder if you got a bad model, or I got a particularly good one, cause I never noticed that, and as my posting history here can attest, I am picky.

Based on the Rtings review I'm going to guess probably a little of both. I'm jealous of your luck!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the Gigabyte M32Q is on sale for $360, which seems to be an all-time low price by $10 or so. how stupid am i to think it's worth getting one (or two)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

the Gigabyte M32Q is on sale for $360, which seems to be an all-time low price by $10 or so. how stupid am i to think it's worth getting one (or two)?

Its little brother, the M27Q is fairly well regarded (counterpoint a few posts up), and the M32Q doesn't have some of its shortcomings (like the BGR subpixel layout). It's an IPS panel, which everyone loves, but I have some misgivings about (not great at displaying dark scenes especially in dimly lit rooms, but most people don't seem to have/notice this issue). For its price point especially, it seems like a good monitor.

The stand doesn't allow for portrait rotation, if that matters to you. You can mount it on a VESA stand that does, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're in the market for a 32" 1440p monitor, then the M32Q seems like a perfectly solid, inexpensive one of those.

For those of you picking up the M27Q, make sure you run the cleartype tuner on it so it will be configured for BGR subpixels.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're in the market for a 32" 1440p monitor, then the M32Q seems like a perfectly solid, inexpensive one of those.

For those of you picking up the M27Q, make sure you run the cleartype tuner on it so it will be configured for BGR subpixels.

A 32" 1440p monitor has the same pixels per inch as a 24" 1080p monitor. I dunno if I'd want that personally so wanted to bring that up. Here's the tool I used to look that up.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Here's a good rule of thumb
24 - fhd
27 - QHD
32 - UHD

Unless you have some specific use case for something different.

Just buy QHD. It'll be great. 4k/UHD is a buzzword.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rinkles posted:

Its little brother, the M27Q is fairly well regarded (counterpoint a few posts up), and the M32Q doesn't have some of its shortcomings (like the BGR subpixel layout). It's an IPS panel, which everyone loves, but I have some misgivings about (not great at displaying dark scenes especially in dimly lit rooms, but most people don't seem to have/notice this issue). For its price point especially, it seems like a good monitor.

The stand doesn't allow for portrait rotation, if that matters to you. You can mount it on a VESA stand that does, though.
yeah, it'll be going on a VESA. thanks for the tip!

is there a more expensive 32" 1440 g-sync monitor that is much better? it's something that i look at a lot so i don't mind spending more.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

is there a more expensive 32" 1440 g-sync monitor that is much better? it's something that i look at a lot so i don't mind spending more.

Honestly, not really. It's not a category that sees much competition. There's the LG 32GP850, but it's only marginally better than the M32Q in most respects, so I'm not sure if it justifies the price difference. Here's a comparison.

On the really high end of things is the 32" version of the Samsung Odyssey G7, but that thing has hit-or-miss QC, and with that curve, it doesn't seem like it'll play friendly with a dual monitor setup. And at $800, it's a bit much. I've seen it go as low as $750 before, but yeah...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

It definitely needs this imo, in addition to the complete lack of swivel their vertical adjustment range is also a little short. It would need at least another inch (maybe even two) to be at an ergonomic height for my desk. That seems to be a common thread among a lot of monitors, though

TheDK posted:

Just buy QHD. It'll be great. 4k/UHD is a buzzword.

Agreed. At monitor sizes I barely notice the difference between 1080 and 1440 in games/media, let alone 4k. It makes less of a difference than the drop below 60 fps that it caused me, so I would only move up if you have a GPU that can run both at an equivalent speed

I'm only loving with this at all because it does make a difference in text. A 27“ UHD is goddamn glorious for work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have two of these Odyssey G7 28" 4K displays, and they've been a handful in combination with my 3080.

I've got NVidia to implement some fixes to make them bearable. I've also contacted Samsung, however it took a while for them to react. They tell me that my as GSync-compatible advertised displays are not compatible with NVidia's adaptive sync method.

:bravo:
Yikes, it keeps going. I responded to their email by saying why they'd advertise NVidia GSync compatibility by silkscreening it onto the display frame, then say my RTX 3080 wasn't compatible. Well, that's because the display is only compatible with these series of graphics cards:

quote:

Je partage avec vous la liste des cartes graphique NVIDIA compatible avec cette fonctionnalité :
• GeForce GTX 10 séries
• GeForce GTX 30 séries
• GeForce RTX 20 séries
Well, gently caress me for getting an RTX 3080 instead of an GTX 3080. I feel like their support is gaslighting me.

:suicide:

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
The GIGABYTE M27Q is down to $259.99 on Amazon right now.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I have a broken brain that is bad at value assessment (hence my post a little while ago asking if the current $435 price on the XV272U KVb -or the $420 MAG274QRF-QD, now that I think of it- are worth the difference between them and the currently discounted M27Q)...

...but, uh, this seems like a pretty drat good deal?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 17, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Of course it is, right after I bought it it would drop price. You're welcome.

:smith:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Lot of places doing black friday price protection things right now. Even if whoever you bought it from aren't, a lot of places will refund the difference if you just ask.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Unsinkabear posted:

I have a broken brain that is bad at value assessment (hence my post a little while ago asking if the current $435 price on the XV272U KVb -or the $420 MAG274QRF-QD, now that I think of it- are worth the difference between them and the currently discounted M27Q)...

...but, uh, this seems like a pretty drat good deal?

I bought it used for $10 more than that, it's a great deal

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

My desk can't accommodate clamp mounts, is there a thread go-to for a replacement VESA stand?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yikes, it keeps going. I responded to their email by saying why they'd advertise NVidia GSync compatibility by silkscreening it onto the display frame, then say my RTX 3080 wasn't compatible. Well, that's because the display is only compatible with these series of graphics cards:

Well, gently caress me for getting an RTX 3080 instead of an GTX 3080. I feel like their support is gaslighting me.

:suicide:

Are you using them through HDMI? If so, you need to be on DisplayPort. From the RTINGS review:

quote:

FreeSync works over the entire range with both connections, but the G-SYNC compatibility only works over DisplayPort; over HDMI, the NVIDIA Control Panel recognizes it, but we couldn't enable G-SYNC in the pendulum demo.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

They wouldn't price adjust for me so I returned and reordered. I don't understand why that's preferable to amazon over just matching their own price.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 18, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are you using them through HDMI? If so, you need to be on DisplayPort. From the RTINGS review:
Yeah. Samsung claims it does HDMI 2.1 VRR. That's odd and interesting to know. It doesn't have a framerate overlay to verify like say my old Acers had. The G70A has two modes, PC and AV. In latter adaptive sync gets definitely disabled, because it gets greyed out in OSD. In PC mode, per manual, VRR is supposed to work.

RTINGS was definitely using AV mode, because they pulled the HDMI Extension block out of the EDID. That one is missing in PC mode. Well, NVidia said the displays send broken EDID info, which tripped the driver up into a crash, if you had two, which was fixed in driver version 496 onwards (there's still crash issues when hooking up additional devices to the two G70A).

Either way, the Samsung guy was going on about downgrading the DisplayPort connection to 1.1 via the display's OSD.

--edit:
If testufo.com's VRR test actually works, it seems like it does VRR, because frame pacing is good at crooked and low framerates.

https://www.testufo.com/vrr

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 18, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Unsinkabear posted:

XV272U KVbmiiprzx

Goddammit, you just made that up…didn’t you?

What crack-substitute are these marketers on? Wouldn’t it be easier to sell an “A1, B5, and Visio” models?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’ve been in the non-crypto GPU thread for most of 3,000 pages and didn’t know GTX 30xx existed. WTF? Like buying a 90” screen for your 800x600 Win98 display.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh I see now why the support drone posted that. It's in the actual manual PDF. So he's been quoting the manual to me. Thanks for the help, Samsung.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 18, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MixMasterMalaria posted:

They wouldn't price adjust for me so I returned and reordered. I don't understand why that's preferable to amazon over just matching their own price.

I got them to price match mine a year ago (in went on sale the day after), but it took a lot of complaining. They relented when I told them I'd just return it instead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’ve been in the non-crypto GPU thread for most of 3,000 pages and didn’t know GTX 30xx existed. WTF? Like buying a 90” screen for your 800x600 Win98 display.

It doesn’t

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Honestly, not really. It's not a category that sees much competition. There's the LG 32GP850, but it's only marginally better than the M32Q in most respects, so I'm not sure if it justifies the price difference. Here's a comparison.

On the really high end of things is the 32" version of the Samsung Odyssey G7, but that thing has hit-or-miss QC, and with that curve, it doesn't seem like it'll play friendly with a dual monitor setup. And at $800, it's a bit much. I've seen it go as low as $750 before, but yeah...
i was thinking about the G7 but i’ve had defect issues with samsung in the past and mostly i just hate that Gamer Bezel

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte announced the M27Q-X today: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/gigabyte-m27q-x-with-27-ips-panel-1440p-and-240hz-refresh-rate

It's a 27" 1440p panel like the M27Q, but at 240hz. It's safe to assume that this will be a cost-cut version of the FI27Q-X, which is a pretty good 240Hz monitor. No word on pricing yet, but Gigabyte always prices their "M" line of monitors very aggressively, so this may become the most affordable 240hz 1440p monitor yet.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gigabyte announced the M27Q-X today: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/gigabyte-m27q-x-with-27-ips-panel-1440p-and-240hz-refresh-rate

It's a 27" 1440p panel like the M27Q, but at 240hz. It's safe to assume that this will be a cost-cut version of the FI27Q-X, which is a pretty good 240Hz monitor. No word on pricing yet, but Gigabyte always prices their "M" line of monitors very aggressively, so this may become the most affordable 240hz 1440p monitor yet.
Oh god we're so close to an IPS 32" 240hz aghhhhhhhhhh

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish to upgrade my Acer XB270HU but noooo everything is poo poo or way too much money and still bad. I'll probably be back in like a year to complain again, can't wait!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish to upgrade my Acer XB270HU but noooo everything is poo poo or way too much money and still bad. I'll probably be back in like a year to complain again, can't wait!

What is it you are seeking? The M27Q is getting all sorts of attention right now. There’s a cool MSI at Micro Center too if that’s an option.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

As a schizophrenic individual, not seeing things can be more troubling than hallucinating extra stuff into the world.

Thanks for setting me right :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nitsuga posted:

What is it you are seeking? The M27Q is getting all sorts of attention right now. There’s a cool MSI at Micro Center too if that’s an option.

I mean, it'll be a little bit faster and better than his current monitor, but it isn't a large leap forward in display technology or anything. There are a lot of people sorta depressed at the state of monitor tech right now (me included) due to how much it has stagnated and how slow and expensive adoption of true HDR has been.