Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Serperoth posted:

Just lmao if you don't open any interaction with a fe-male with "You know they say that all men are created equal? Well you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true!" etc
Of course, if she responds with "Normally, you've got a 50-50 chance of dating me, but I’m a genetic freak and I’m not normal, so you got a 25% at best at dating me!", you know she's the one.

Platystemon posted:

I believe it’s a reaction to this:

https://youtu.be/hNDgcjVGHIw
I was instantly suspicious of this after reading the title, but it goes in a much different direction than I expected from the NYT.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/samoyedwave/status/1460977776710889475?s=21

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

Matty is a dumb motherfucker but this is a broken clock moment. I'm involved in a handful of lefty orgs and I've seen this issue way too often. Like someone will put out a solidarity fundraiser or something and the first three paragraphs are full of ten dollar words that my eyes just slide off of. I've read Gravity's Rainbow! I've read Gaddis' The Recognitions! I'm a literature dipshit that's suffered through countless books denser than the average neutron star! If even I'm having trouble focusing long enough to understand what they're getting at, there's no chance the average person who barely reads past newspaper headlines is going to stick it out. A movement is useless if it can't communicate well enough to be understood by the people that need to be convinced

Nah he's dumb as a brick of poo poo and is barely able to string a coherent sentence together, let alone understand words. Your point isn't wrong, but he made it because he's barely literate.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

According to Yglesias they should have tweeted "Equality now!" and called it a day. He just really cares about effective messaging.

Oh wait he's just concern trolling and his real objection is to progressives calling America a racist country and disparaging capitalism

Yeah, this is the case. It's 1000% bad faith arguing.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Nov 17, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

'zerg rush Stalingrad' is also really loving good. Just absolutely no clue about what actually happened.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

sexpig by night posted:

'zerg rush Stalingrad' is also really loving good. Just absolutely no clue about what actually happened.

If I remember right, they basically did its just that they weren't ready for the Russian defense.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

iirc "zerg rushing Stalingrad" is exactly what happened. didn't turn out all that great (for the nazis that is) (e: fb)

plus, that young edgelord seems to be under the impression that the nazis weren't trying to take Leningrad for the better part of three years

and also, i like their suggestion for the nazis to "ally with the Slavs" - its like they don't seem to get the whole "inferior races" thing the nazis had going. or its one of those modern nazi weirdos who think that slavs are the Best White People

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Getting strong "I learned everything I know about history from video games" vibes here

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If I were Hitler, I would simply not do and believe in the things Hitler did and believed in.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

"Ally with the Slavs"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
brb starting a war of extermination against my critical allies the slavs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

If I remember right, they basically did its just that they weren't ready for the Russian defense.

correct, they 100% did 'zerg rush' and got absolutely loving slaughtered. I don't know what this little anime nazi thinks they could have done to be more zergy than their already real plan of 'send waves of German bodies into Russian gunfire figuring they'd run out of bullets eventually'.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nostradingus posted:

Getting strong "I learned everything I know about history from video games" vibes here

Oh absolutely. In fact, I bet it was Hearts of Iron

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

You could probably put @SAMOYEDWAVE here for that thread where he argued that the Lusitania was a legitimate military target because there was like.... 5000 rounds of pistol ammo on it that the Germans didn't even know about when they sunk her.

He was since banned and the whole thread vanished (This is his new account)

But since then I've become kind of weary of people posting his takes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Royalist Weeb

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

If I were Hitler, I would simply not do and believe in the things Hitler did and believed in.

it's more like 'if i was commanding an army i would simply have soldiers that couldn't be killed and had infinite supplies'

the reason you siege anywhere is because you can't easily take it by assault

the Germans didn't get stuck in a meatgrinder in Stalingrad because Hitler wrote 'get stuck in a meatgrinder in Stalingrad', they got stuck because it was full of angry Russians

edit: on further comprehension i think i got the spirit of your post a bit wrong but i'm going to leave this here because i aint scared of nothing

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Nov 17, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's more like 'if i was commanding an army i would simply have soldiers that couldn't be killed and had infinite supplies'

:patriot:

Here's a Yelp review from a local pharmacy (warning: mention of pet death):

quote:

Sigh.
My cats doctor placed a rush order on a medication for my very sick little kitty. They confirmed with me that the medication would be ready the next day. I patiently waited until late afternoon, and called to check up. The medication wasn't even on the belt yet. They gave me the runaround and one of the receptionists were always so rude. It was a male with a lighter voice. I didn't get his name.
My cat passed away. I got a text a week and a half later that the medication was ready for pickup lol.

I don't blame them for my cats death. I just wonder.. what if she got her meds on time? Would she still be here? I don't know..
This experience was just a wild one I never want to revisit.

"I don't blame them for cat's death, but I'm kinda blaming them for my cat's death." (The rest of this review seems pretty valid, but that last part just stuck with me.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not doing or believing the same things as Hitler is pretty cool, imo

Dude insisted his friends call him "Wolf" and did a genocide. Don't be like him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Feliday Melody posted:

You could probably put @SAMOYEDWAVE here for that thread where he argued that the Lusitania was a legitimate military target because there was like.... 5000 rounds of pistol ammo on it that the Germans didn't even know about when they sunk her.

He was since banned and the whole thread vanished (This is his new account)

But since then I've become kind of weary of people posting his takes.
Eh it wasn't exactly an open secret that the US and UK were using civilian ships for arms transport, and the Lusitania was literally subsidized by the British navy so they could retrofit it and use it for military use if needed.
I'd need to see the actual arguments being made, but you could probably argue the UK was already in violating the spirit of the Hague protocol even if it didn't violate the word.
Not to mention the Uboats were a direct response to the more powerful British navy blockading German sea trade while 'nuetral parties' heavily put thumbs on the scale. Every
Empire was pretty evil in how they conducted WW1, so I don't think pushback on framing the Germans as the villains during it is inherently suspect.
Of course there are also plenty of nazis who realize it would be inappropriate to openly cheer for hitler, so use WWI Germany as a proxy.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Nov 17, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The original plan to take Stalingrad was to ignore it. It was an unimportant industrial city. In the summer of 1942, Nazi HQ's focus was on marching through the Caucasus and capturing the Azerbaijani city of Baku. This was indeed to cut off the main supplier of Soviet oil and give Germany a source of natural oil (which they had very little access to except through synthetic refineries in Romania which were getting the gently caress bombed out of them by Soviet air force based in Crimea). The problem is that this extended the German supply lines, which were already strained to their limit, through hundreds more miles of steppe land and mountains. This operation was code-named Case Blue and it was probably doomed to failure even if it had gone the way the Germans wanted it to.

Hitler then kramer'd into High Command, saw that Stalingrad was named for Stalin, and demanded the city be taken. This had the slight problem of adding even more hundreds of miles to the front and supply lines, while diverting vital resources needed to make the brutal push through the Caucasus. Hitler didn't give a poo poo and demanded it happen, purely for propaganda purposes. You know what happened next.

Zerg rushing Stalingrad couldn't have happened and even if it did, there was no point to it. Germany lost the war in Europe the second they failed to take all three objectives in Barbarossa. Everything after that was just the paperwork.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

1stGear posted:

The original plan to take Stalingrad was to ignore it. It was an unimportant industrial city. In the summer of 1942, Nazi HQ's focus was on marching through the Caucasus and capturing the Azerbaijani city of Baku. This was indeed to cut off the main supplier of Soviet oil and give Germany a source of natural oil (which they had very little access to except through synthetic refineries in Romania which were getting the gently caress bombed out of them by Soviet air force based in Crimea). The problem is that this extended the German supply lines, which were already strained to their limit, through hundreds more miles of steppe land and mountains. This operation was code-named Case Blue and it was probably doomed to failure even if it had gone the way the Germans wanted it to.

Hitler then kramer'd into High Command, saw that Stalingrad was named for Stalin, and demanded the city be taken. This had the slight problem of adding even more hundreds of miles to the front and supply lines, while diverting vital resources needed to make the brutal push through the Caucasus. Hitler didn't give a poo poo and demanded it happen, purely for propaganda purposes. You know what happened next.

Zerg rushing Stalingrad couldn't have happened and even if it did, there was no point to it. Germany lost the war in Europe the second they failed to take all three objectives in Barbarossa. Everything after that was just the paperwork.

I read some propaganda of the time. Göring compared Stalingrad to the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae.

The German civilians responded with, basically, "What the hell? Is everyone dead? Are they all dead? That's a catastrophic disaster, and we are all doomed. Also 200k widows now have the right to widow pensions

So they changed it to everyone just being "missing"

Feliday Melody has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Nov 17, 2021

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I can't remember who it was from but, I got recommended a Youtube video of some guy critiquing "Germany could have won WW2 if they just..." plans. He pointed out was that most of said plans required Nazi Germany acting in ways totally opposed their stated goals and beliefs, and as such most could be broken down to "If the Nazi's weren't Nazis, they might have won" which really isn't a useful observation.

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Nov 17, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

I can't remember who it was, I got recommended a Youtube video of some guy critiquing "Germany could have won WW2 if they just..." plans. He pointed out was that most of said plans required Nazi Germany acting in ways totally opposed their stated goals and beliefs, and as such most could be broken down to "If the Nazi's weren't Nazis, they might have won" which really isn't a useful observation.

Probably Three Arrows, I would assume.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

1stGear posted:

I remember reading Stalingrad by Beevor and my take away being "Hitler and Stalin were completely incompetent lunatics and the whole battle was won by whichever general didn't listen to their homicidal boss". Like all the German generals knew Stalingrad was unimportant and Hitler just had a major boner about taking over the place. Meanwhile Stalin was pretty much "all Russians are expendable so lets just throw Russians at the problem and see what happens".

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Unfortunately very few of us live in Lake Wobegon

As an old white person, I got that reference.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Garrison Keillor turned out to be a sexpest so maybe our fortune is better than expected

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Feliday Melody posted:

I read some propaganda at the time. Göring compared Stalingrad to the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae.

How old are you?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Gargamel Gibson posted:

How old are you?

Whoops.

*Of the time*

Thanks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coolness Averted posted:

Eh it wasn't exactly an open secret that the US and UK were using civilian ships for arms transport, and the Lusitania was literally subsidized by the British navy so they could retrofit it and use it for military use if needed.
I'd need to see the actual arguments being made, but you could probably argue the UK was already in violating the spirit of the Hague protocol even if it didn't violate the word.
Not to mention the Uboats were a direct response to the more powerful British navy blockading German sea trade while 'nuetral parties' heavily put thumbs on the scale. Every
Empire was pretty evil in how they conducted WW1, so I don't think pushback on framing the Germans as the villains during it is inherently suspect.
Of course there are also plenty of nazis who realize it would be inappropriate to openly cheer for hitler, so use WWI Germany as a proxy.

There's no war if the german government doesn't give a blank cheque to Austria, but the geman government desperately wanted a tasteful war with France and Russia, so we still buy into their propaganda that no one could've known and everyone is equally guilty.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Feliday Melody posted:

Whoops.

*Of the time*

Thanks.

Hmm. Do you, by any chance, happen to live in Argentina?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Viscous Soda posted:

I can't remember who it was from but, I got recommended a Youtube video of some guy critiquing "Germany could have won WW2 if they just..." plans. He pointed out was that most of said plans required Nazi Germany acting in ways totally opposed their stated goals and beliefs, and as such most could be broken down to "If the Nazi's weren't Nazis, they might have won" which really isn't a useful observation.

It was Potential History.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTrjxOPYNY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigRed0427 posted:

All of their infantry was on meth so they could do the Blitzkrieg, but while you can march for 3 days without sleep and fight a battle you can't do it for a week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol already starting strong with 'don't let the brits escape at Dunkirk', I actually never heard that insane 'the nazis could have won' thing!

Simply don't let the guys escaping escape, bing bong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

The entire german advance into russia was basically zerg rushing as hard and fast as possible, slowed down largely by their own inability to extend their supply lines far and fast enough, and the soviet tactics in retreat being to absolutely wreck everything they possibly could, including all the oil fields that the germans desperately needed and also to organize partisan forces behind the lines to make it even harder for the germans to get supplies to the front. They dug in at Stalingrad, Leningrad, and Moscow because those were key cities and also major rail and shipping hubs for getting supplies west to the front, and also Moscow was like, the center of government so you can't really give that up. This had the extra benefit that the germans were well trained, equipped, and practiced at maneuver warfare through the countryside but comparatively bad at fighting through cities, which is why they generally didn't do it if at all possible, they just went around, cut off the supply lines, and either waited for them to surrender or at least utilized the enemy's lack of resupply to win more easily.

Unfortunately for them, hitler got sick of pushing east and gaining basically gently caress all because the russians burned everything he could have wanted down, so being the very stable genius he was, he threw a wobbler and declared himself king of the army and started trying to micromanage it, including telling them to drop everything else and take stalingrad, in no small part out of spite and arrogance.

Unsurprisingly hitler was not good at all at managing the army and ignored or fired everyone who told him his ideas were bad, and subsequently failed to make anywhere near the progress he wanted against the fortified russian positions in the winter, and then while he was dicking about with his supply lines stretched to breaking, it turns out the russians had been planning a massive counterattack which he ate poo poo to.

It's quite possible though that no matter what the germans had done, there just is no way to make it the gigantic distance they needed to travel, securing supply as they go, in time to capture everything they needed to capture before the russians could sort their army out. Even with the terrible organization they had to start with meaning they got absolutely dunked on time and time again.

If Stalin hadn't hosed the army's organization to hell and back the germans would probably have eaten poo poo much sooner honestly, they did far better than most of them even expected, and it still wasn't enough.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Nov 17, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting because this is certainly An Idiot who in On Social Media and I think it will make a lot of readers happy.

https://twitter.com/benjamincohen/status/1460341503189041167

This is from a while back, so I am sorry. But I have a few questions about it.

Why is Milo "demeaning" himself by "lowering" himself to the point of selling tat on a Christian home shopping network? Surely to an arrogant show pony attention whore like him, this is a massive step down from the grifts he had going on previously. So by stooping so low it must be hurting/humiliating for him.

Wouldn't it be easier/better for him to get a real job? Become an accountant, a carpenter, a computer toucher, work in retail, work at the post office etc. Less humiliating, and less prominent, so there's less chance of being laughed at online, (which people like him truly hate).

Is the Christian Home Shopping shill gig paying so much that it is better than getting a normal person job? Is the money worth it, (to Milo), for the humiliation, degradation and mockery he will get from it?

Or, is he "paying his dues" at the lowest level of his new Neo-Christian grift, and hoping to move up the rungs to less tacky and higher paying shilling of Jesus based poo poo later on?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why is Milo "demeaning" himself by "lowering" himself to the point of selling tat on a Christian home shopping network? Surely to an arrogant show pony attention whore like him, this is a massive step down from the grifts he had going on previously. So by stooping so low it must be hurting/humiliating for him.

Wouldn't it be easier/better for him to get a real job? Become an accountant, a carpenter, a computer toucher, work in retail, work at the post office etc. Less humiliating, and less prominent, so there's less chance of being laughed at online, (which people like him truly hate).

He may be so infamous that nowhere "normal" will hire him. That's what I'd assume about a lot of these chuds. Milo's name and his image are pretty distinct, this isn't "George Smith, the old fat white pawpaw from Georgia".

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

Probably Three Arrows, I would assume.

I looked it up (after remembering you can search Youtube history) and it was actually Germany Could Not Win WW2 (part 2) by Potential History

Edit: and I was beaten about my own Youtube history lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His current gimmick is that he has renounced his gayness and has become a well behaved tradcath good boy sub for the lord.

Because yes, I can't imagine anyone else will hire him, he's famous for being a far right kiddy fiddler, who is going to want to be associated with that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

His current gimmick is that he has renounced his gayness and has become a well behaved tradcath good boy sub for the lord.

Because yes, I can't imagine anyone else will hire him, he's famous for being a far right kiddy fiddler, who is going to want to be associated with that?

Catholics?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
To get most jobs you have to have things like “ability” and “skill”. Milo only knows how to appear in a spotlight. Any spotlight!

He can’t even write. He did a book of poems that were largely just plagiarized Tori Amos lyrics and wrote a book that got rejected by the publisher because it made no goddamn sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OwlFancier posted:

Wait did he molest a kid too? I thought he just said it was actually cool and good he was molested by a priest when he was young.

Scratch Monkey posted:

To get most jobs you have to have things like “ability” and “skill”. Milo only knows how to appear in a spotlight. Any spotlight!

Yeah, plus it's not like you're gonna get hired as a bankteller with 0 experience and a job history that consists of "well I did some book toursnand speaking engagements" for the past 5 years.