Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All Pokemon should be their canon size in the game. If I'm able to see Joltik and Flabebe outside of the Pokedex, then something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Has anyone seen if Nature mints are available in the game before post-game of BDSP?

I haven't seen any mints through my playthrough, and I spent a lot of time underground.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nanigans posted:

Has anyone seen if Nature mints are available in the game before post-game of BDSP?
we don't even know if they're available period, they're not a gen 4 feature

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Could've sworn the dataminers said that Mints/Ability Patch/etc are a Battle Tower reward

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you transfer a mint'd pokemon from sw/sh does it retain the mint nature?
And if so does it really matter? You don't need natures to run the main story.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaziken386 posted:

we don't even know if they're available period, they're not a gen 4 feature

They are in. As Battle Tower rewards. Same with the ability capsule and patch.

I know you start the game without a hat. I wonder if you have the option to leave it off whenever you want.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 16, 2021

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Nanigans posted:

They are in. As Battle Tower rewards. Same with the ability capsule and patch.

I know you start the game without a hat. I wonder if you have the option to leave it off whenever you want.

but then the player wouldn't know who the protagonist is :shepface:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You're stuck with a hat in the default outfit but several of the variants don't have one.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dehry posted:

You're stuck with a hat in the default outfit but several of the variants don't have one.

Oh, well. Seems silly but thanks for letting me know.

How many outfits have you come across? One of the trailers showed like 5-6? Are there more?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Oh, well. Seems silly but thanks for letting me know.

How many outfits have you come across? One of the trailers showed like 5-6? Are there more?

At least on the female player character you've got:
Pikachu Hoodie (hatless, cheap)
Overalls (hatless)
Eevee Jacket (Ball cap)
Gengar Jacket (Ball cap, alternate of eevee)
Cyber Style (hatless, glows)
Winter Style (knit cap)
Spring Style (beret)
Casual Style (ball cap)
Leather Jacket (hatless, most expensive)

No unlocking anything, they're just all available at the shop when you walk in.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well i've finally resigned myself to actually getting BDSP so now the question only remains

which exclusives do i like more

i've never actually used a honchkrow, i don't think, so i'm leaning diamond right now

assuming the exclusives list is the same as the originals?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Serebii has an exclusives list up. It seemed like it's maybe just the fossils, and like, 2 other families outside of the legendaries. It's a surprisingly small list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
A little bummed that Diamond gets the beasts while Pearl gets the birds, but at least I'll still get Lugia I suppose.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh it's literally just the fossils and stunky/glameow huh. guess i just shouldn't care then! time to get pearl because i always get the second version for some reason

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Maybe Serebii's info isn't up to date? Cause the originals had way more version exclusives

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Hrist posted:

Serebii has an exclusives list up. It seemed like it's maybe just the fossils, and like, 2 other families outside of the legendaries. It's a surprisingly small list.

The list over at Serebii isn't up to date. This one should be:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can pretty much copy and paste a diamond and pearl strategy guide and get 95% of the main campaign correct without having to change anything. Just little things like some of the game corner TM prizes being moved to the department store and a few NPCs around giving stickers or items would need to be updated.

The Sinnoh Underground is where things get a little messy with statues and such.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 17, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah that's pretty much the original list, that makes more sense

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
So I was planning on getting pearl but some of the reviews concerned me. The last Pokemon game I played that I really enjoyed was Let's Go and before that HeartGold. I absolutely hate pointless time wasting features that most Pokemon games have, and I have a memory of enjoying Pearl, but apparently this remake is just kinda meh?

So my question is, does Pearl have a bunch of pointless subsystems and mini games or would I be better off playing something like Black for the first time?hope that made sense

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
BDSP basically only has the same minigames and subsystems of the originals, i.e. the contests and underground. Both are completely optional outside of the first time as a tutorial. Though the underground is pretty great in terms of getting good items, and the Pokémon Hideaways allow you to greatly expand the variety of Pokémon you can catch. Plus the hideaways are just running around areas with items and wild Pokémon, so not really anything you’re not used to.

The game streamlines the need for dedicated moveslots for HMs by making the HMs functions on your Pokétch rather than actual moves your Pokémon learn. Apart from that, and the use of the Experience Share, the games are essentially prettier versions of the originals.

I’m not sure what you mean by subsystems, but in terms of minigames, I think (outside of tutorials) the only “mandatory” minigames are Pokémon-Amie to allow Eevee to evolve into Sylveon, same with the Sun and Moon equivalent, Pokémon Refresh.

Other minigames like contests, super contests, the Pokéathalon, Pokéstar Studios, the Game Corners, curry making, Poké Pelago, Poké Jobs, Berry Blending, the Dream World…those can give you bonuses and items or make it easier to get certain Pokémon, but I can’t think of any that are required.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 17, 2021

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game is Pokemon Diamond and Pearl with very minimal changes to gameplay. You get fairy typing and have to buy some game corner items from the department store since that's been removed but otherwise have the exact same campaign. The undergound and contests are both completely optional unless you're looking to catch all 493 Pokémon in game (After finding a feebas you have to max out the beauty contest stat for milotic and then legendary Pokémon appear through finding rare items while digging.)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
This sounds perfect then. Was this the series that introduced Pokemons holding items? I hated that poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fixins posted:

This sounds perfect then. Was this the series that introduced Pokemons holding items? I hated that poo poo

Pokemon holding items happened back in Gold/Silver. Like the only mainline games without that are Red/Blue/Green/Yellow and the Let's Go games.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fixins posted:

Held items are like the very first thing you encounter in gen 2

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Flame Guy posted:

That seems way better. I wouldn't have put it past them to just have the 2 guys be different in this one though. The remakes just have that energy to them.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fixins posted:

NPCs almost never have Pokémon that hold items. Occasionally a gym leader or other important trainer might use one, but 95% of battles won’t feature them at all. It’s more of something you can use yourself (or not) and is essentially required for any serious PvP battles.

But I’m curious what about holding items bothers you.

Also, definitely play Black or White. Still my favorite of the series.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 17, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I assumed that poster meant wild/NPC trainer Pokemon holding items, not just item holding in general.

I don't know about NPC trainers, but wild Pokemon holding items started in Gen III, so basically immediately after Gen II introduced held items.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not liking held items is peak pokemon grognard

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

An NPC traded me a Haunter and then went "Everstone! Gotcha you fucker!" :flipoff: and that's the only real time I remember the single-player showing off what held items can do.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Online, on sites, you know, on the internet, it says the pre-order bonus for the digital game is a Manaphy egg, but on Nintendo's own website, it says you get a "early purchaser" bonus of a Manaphy egg if you buy the game before February 22nd. Are these separate things? Is there a possibility of two Manaphy eggs?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
The Manaphy Egg isn't a pre-order bonus, it's just a free thing you can get from the Mystery Gift option until February 22nd. There's only the one egg, but you don't need to pre-order the game or anything. Just play before the date that the event is over with.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Get the first badge, then returning to Jubilife City, the TV station will be opened up. One one of the floors a guy will ask a survey and the answer is EVERYBODY HAPPY WI-FI CONNECTION to unlock Mystery Gift.

You also get the Platinum outfits for the characters as another mystery gift at the same time.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 17, 2021

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It was the entire idea of held items, it just makes me go into minimax mode and not play the game.

Sounding like I need to play Black though. Shame it's so expensive

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

duck trucker posted:

An NPC traded me a Haunter and then went "Everstone! Gotcha you fucker!" :flipoff: and that's the only real time I remember the single-player showing off what held items can do.

wild snorlax holding leftovers in g/s :negative:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
anyone know how long pokemon center usually takes to ship stuff? because I preordered Diamond like a month back to get the pre-order starter plushie, and they only just updated the order to "processing" yesterday

was kinda hoping it'd get here on release day, TBH

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fixins posted:

It was the entire idea of held items, it just makes me go into minimax mode and not play the game.

Sounding like I need to play Black though. Shame it's so expensive

The games are 100% not dependent on held items for the story, so no worries. But some items are pretty basic and helpful. Hate getting paralyzed? Throw a Lum or Cherrim berry on your mon. Don’t like getting hurt by sandstorms or hail? Throw on the Safety Goggles. Doesn’t have to be a min/max thing at all.

Also, for B/W, you could just…:filez:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Blaziken386 posted:

anyone know how long pokemon center usually takes to ship stuff? because I preordered Diamond like a month back to get the pre-order starter plushie, and they only just updated the order to "processing" yesterday

I'm in a similar situation. I remember for my Sword preorder that it shipped much faster than normal so I'm hoping that happens again. Otherwise it takes as long as fedex ground takes to get to you from Ohio.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

I haven't ordered games from them, but other stuff usually shows up in a day or 2.

Shiroc posted:

Otherwise it takes as long as fedex ground takes to get to you from Ohio.

This might be why, since I'm in Ohio. So I'm not sure about other places.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its usually about a week for me in Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Flame Guy posted:

glad to see Diamond remains the correct choice