Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Onean posted:

Ahhh. I thought you were coming at it from the other side.

Honestly, I like that we've got both. Sometimes we save the world and nobody knows (Coils, for a more accurate example, because drat near everyone on the First knows we were responsible, even if they're not fully sure why) and sometimes we're very publicly stomping out the fires.

Coils ruled. They structure the raids in a nice way. You go into a hole and you come out of it a better person with greater knowledge of the world and everything. Coils also helped bridge 1.0 with ARR in an accessible way, etc.

You also come out as a better father/mother to your twins.

I also really enjoyed the Ivalice adventure hole and the Nier adventure hole. I think I just like self-contained adventures a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The shards that have been rejoined are kind of amusing to me in the calamities they're paired with.

The First (Wind) rejoined the Fifth
The Second (Lightning) rejoined the Twelfth
The Third (Fire) rejoined the Second
The Fourth (Earth) rejoined the Third
The Fifth (Ice) rejoined the Sixth
The Sixth (Water) rejoined the Tenth
The Seventh (Astral) rejoined the Seventh
The Eighth (Umbral) rejoined the First

For the most part those elements have pretty decent links with the corresponding games' worlds and/or protagonists (Butz/Bartz - wind, Ashe - lightning, Firion - fire, Celes - ice, Tidus - water, Cloud - dark, Warrior of Light (I) - light; the Onion Kids are kind of element-agnostic and Luneth is usually wind, but the story around the Fourth Calamity is also heavily the same deal as FFIII anyway)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

G'raha Tia has a line in the 5.0 epilogue where says that he expected that he'd get erased Back to the Future style when the Eighth Umbral Calamity was averted. I don't think the writers would include that line unless they wanted to hint that the alt timeline we prevented is still out there. So a journey there could be the subject of an expansion.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

SirPhoebos posted:

G'raha Tia has a line in the 5.0 epilogue where says that he expected that he'd get erased Back to the Future style when the Eighth Umbral Calamity was averted. I don't think the writers would include that line unless they wanted to hint that the alt timeline we prevented is still out there. So a journey there could be the subject of an expansion.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_shadows/sidestory_08/#sidestory_08

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ehh I don't think going to the Bad Future to help out is really where they'd go, doing lots of time travel gets really fucky really quickly from a writing perspective and the whole point of the Bad Future is that they gave up everything to have a chance at saving people they'd never see, and never know if they succeeded in doing so. The short story Superstring linked ends with them starting to rebuild, and I think they'll leave it on a hopeful note like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nessus posted:

I mean, are the people on the First not... people?

I will say I have met people that dismiss 90% of Shadowbringers based on literally this logic.

I don't know if Shadowbringers brought the people that were the worst at understanding FFXIV's story, but they definitely get way easier to find when talking about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

Ehh I don't think going to the Bad Future to help out is really where they'd go, doing lots of time travel gets really fucky really quickly from a writing perspective and the whole point of the Bad Future is that they gave up everything to have a chance at saving people they'd never see, and never know if they succeeded in doing so. The short story Superstring linked ends with them starting to rebuild, and I think they'll leave it on a hopeful note like that.
Yeah don't like, both Omega AND Midgarsormr resolve to finally get off their asses and help the small apes, cat-apes etc. to reach for the stars again?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ken Finalfantasy who lives in Limsa doesn’t know we saved the First, but Ben Finalfantasy who lives in Eulmore sure as hell does.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Ken Finalfantasy who lives in Limsa doesn’t know we saved the First, but Ben Finalfantasy who lives in Eulmore sure as hell does.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jokes posted:

You also come out as a better father/mother to your twins.

I knew I was old when during the Liveletter people were calling Shtola "mommy' and Alisae a waifu. Also YoshiP why are you reading chat NEVER READ CHAT.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean the game itself points out Y'shtola is a mother figure? They make jokes about it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Someone can be a parental figure and also a waifu. See: Thancred.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, calling the sexy cat "mommy" in no way means they don't want to bang her.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nessus posted:

Yeah, calling the sexy cat "mommy" in no way means they don't want to bang her.

i dont think anyone old enough to play ffxiv says mommy/daddy for any non-sexual purpose

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Folks should not be calling Alisae a waifu considering that she's a child but Yshtola is indeed Mommy

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Y'shtola is Granny.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

Folks should not be calling Alisae a waifu considering that she's a child but Yshtola is indeed Mommy

lots of people who play ffxiv are Teens, though teens suck and we shouldn't let them enjoy things anyway so i'm in favor of destroying them regardless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hogama posted:

Y'shtola is Granny.
No, that's F'lahmmin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every character in FF14 is a granny because they all have grey hair.

There’s one Scion who doesn’t have silver hair and he wore a hood for most of SHB. Tataru is “lilac-haired” but she also wears a hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Every character in FF14 is a granny because they all have grey hair.

There’s one Scion who doesn’t have silver hair and he wore a hood for most of SHB. Tataru is “lilac-haired” but she also wears a hat.

Ryne and Lyse?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lyse isn't a scion anymore, and Ryne never was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ryne is our new daughter making her an honorary Scion and her girlfriend is as well

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's kind of funny how the far-and-away oldest Scion is the only one that doesn't have white hair (please don't get into a tedious argument about how his Source body isn't actually very old)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think white hair is just the style in Sharlayan. None of them are that old.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

It's kind of funny how the far-and-away oldest Scion is the only one that doesn't have white hair (please don't get into a tedious argument about how his Source body isn't actually very old)
Spiritually speaking G'raha is 20 and has been for the last hundred years. Thancred is older than him, as is Urianger (however, Urianger lifts)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
G'raha was alive a long time in the alternate timeline too, and his full body/soul was alive and fully connected for that century on the first.

Physically he's 20 whatever now, but spiritually he's old as balls.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

F'lhaminn seemed so lonely in her level 80 quest :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

We gotta introduce her to a burly roe personal trainer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/shxnku/status/1404729643064860673?s=21

The perfectly timed caw is what makes this the best clip ever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FuturePastNow posted:

She is. She's gone through a life where everyone has basically left her. Not all goodbyes or farewells are sad but just once she'd probably be happier to not be the one left behind all the time.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I heard some 'not nice' guesses as to what YoshiP meant by "He'd go THAT far..." in his recent interview regarding the surprise event waiting for us in EW. :mad: I find I'm in agreement with gossip that we should expect more than a scion death or two. After all, I think most people expect that anyway.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
An actual Scion death feels like a free space on the bingo card.

The wildest thing I've seen someone speculate is the WoL dying and returning at some point down the road, free Fantasia optional.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I can't believe they made Zenos a Scion moments before the truly final fight where he heroically sacrifices himself to save the universe. YoshiP has truly gone too far.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Gearhead posted:

An actual Scion death feels like a free space on the bingo card.

The wildest thing I've seen someone speculate is the WoL dying and returning at some point down the road, free Fantasia optional.

There's zero chance this happens, but also, I'd really love for this to happen. Actually legitimately kill us and make us play a new character. I love my WoL, but god if this wouldn't be the ballsiest possible storytelling move.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If they kill you they'll resurrect you with magic bullshit within the same quest. Maybe with a RP section where you try to keep the Scions alive in the meantime.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Yeah, we create a new character, a plain, ordinary adventurer, and somehow we rejoin with our previous WoL. Same being, but different representation and story setting.

I guess like the Ardbert rejoining, but reversed roles.

Zenos being a fragment of Hythlodaeus is something else I keep seeing. It's the reason why he's obsessed with us and keep calling us his "friend".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We show up looking the same but with no memory ten years later, people recognize us but we've got nothing.

The difficult part will be brain surgery on all the players so they can have the same experience, without noticing that one of the "old faces" is new.

On a related note, I really enjoyed the ShB role quest flashbacks giving people a chance to say "...wait, who's this woman in the background?" She got a bit more camera focus on the last one I did (healer), I don't know if that was coincidence or they tweak the cutscenes based on order.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

central dogma posted:

Zenos being a fragment of Hythlodaeus is something else I keep seeing. It's the reason why he's obsessed with us and keep calling us his "friend".

I could see Zenos being Hylothodeus, he shares his grandfather's special vision, which is required for the Seat of Emet-Selch. A dark side to the dangers of trying to awaken someone to ancient memories. This could even be why he is so drat messed up: Maybe Emet-Selch tried to use a memory crystal to awaken Hylothodeus and got a maniac instead of his old friend.

EDIT: I could almost see a story in which they walk back Zenos a little, maybe not to being an actual hero, but to him deciding that burning the world just to provoke a fight with the Warrior of Light isn't worth it. Have him go out, if not redeemed, then at least doing something besides being a giant boss monster that dies laughing.

They have also never explained why Garleans are the only thing on the planet unable to use magic. Even DRAGONS can use magic and they're literal space aliens.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zenos' apocalyptic nightmare that is obviously an Ancient memory is almost certainly going to be used for some sort of twist like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Bruceski posted:

We show up looking the same but with no memory ten years later, people recognize us but we've got nothing.

Obviously a very differently structured MMO, but didn't PSO2 have your character in a stasis pod for years between two of its episodes?