Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ihki posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself!
this is what people have been trying to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Ihki posted:

I tried that once for a political cause I believed in. Per ECHR, that made me a political prisoner of conscience, or thinking intersectionally, a POC. A POC who reads and mostly agrees with Judith Butler.

Ihki posted:

Zizek, SATFA, on this topic:

Emphasis mine. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Call yourself technically a POC again.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

POC: Poster Out of Control

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

I'm not giving you guys more Jorp content, sorry. I'm watching Dopesick's last episode, on the U.S. opioid/Oxy crisis (great show), and it feels like half of you are itching to to suck dick for someone to make you even angrier about Jordan Peterson.

Lol you're getting there (albeit a homophobically].

Here let me correct your work

Ihki posted:

I'm not giving you guys more Jorp content, sorry. I'm watching Dopesick's last episode, on the U.S. opioid/Oxy crisis (great show), and it feels like half of you are itching to to suck dick for someone to make you even angrier about Jordan Peterson.
There you go, a cogent point. I write for a living and your posts make my eyes bleed

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
person of class :smug:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hay guys, I'm just waltzing through here to tell ya's how busy I am not responding to you. I'm sure you'll see how clever I am in due time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ihki posted:

And you really should work on that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
can anyone translate those three massive paragraphs to english? I've spent as much time as I care to analyze it, and I'm pretty sure it says "Butler thinks it is obvious that gays should have rights, but some dudes are not gay! Whoa!" and it's not exactly a stunning insight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

i didn't suck dick for about a decade and maybe a couple months ago i sucked dick again and it was great

in a funny way this reflects my forums journey because i didn't post for about the same amount of time, came back to poo poo on lowtaxes grave, met three furries in his funeral thread, did a bunch of shitposting here, and i think yeah i'm back babey

also just so none of you think poorly of me - i was having sex that entire time, i just wasn't sucking dick. Cool

Jorp is a loving clown

Schadenfreude thread is worth a save. The Internet Culture Warriors is a cousin of here. Oh yeah and Dune thread. The rest will make you progressively crazy

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
do you think i have a shot with mikhaila, i'm trying to weasel into some inheritance

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

do you think i have a shot with mikhaila, i'm trying to weasel into some inheritance

Yeah, probably. Don't let her catch you eating a vegetable though, she's loving vicious.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ihki posted:

I agree, you couldn't.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, probably. Don't let her catch you eating a vegetable though, she's loving vicious.

i can fix her

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
please. she probably has a vegetable fetish. anyone who rails against one thing so much, invariably fucks that thing

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ihki posted:

That doesn't demonstrate understanding at all.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Guys, I'm starting to think ihki isn't very smart

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One thing I loved about my Lit degree is that all the theorists and critics could actually write coherently and eloquently instead of Zizek who is absolutely loving excruciatingly horrible to read, that block of text was some of the most badly parsed poo poo imaginable

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Are all political theorists like that because Jesus christ

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Zizek is a raccoon cursed by a sexy witch to have the mind of a genius, the body of a man, and the ability to communicate only in gibberish.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That doesn't demonstrate understanding at all.

No, it's just a quick reference for what I was talking about. The last time I wrote about this at length, it turned out to something like fifteen pages of text. I'm sort of hoping that you prefer the clear, concise writing in that quote, and can dig up the original source for the rest. Basically, it carries on with the later Zizek's Hegelian materialist reading of how history is interpreted from the present outwards (as opposed to starting from the past), and how postmodern theorists ("transcendental historicists") presuppose a certain historical position which defines a set of limits to thinking. Butler, Derrida, Foucault and such fall under this. Derrida fx. said there is no philosophy in China, only thought, as φιλοσοφία and 老子 don't really exist in the same universe. There is no ahistorical position for a philosophy that relies on this historicity, as he or Butler does (per the view). Were cavemen living out their gender performative lifestyles in the prehistoric age? What about Ramses II's court or the local peasants? If yes, not in a way which would have enabled Butler's work to exist. The inverse can be applied to the future in how so long as we grant that history will change, their theory cannot be universalized as the timeless absolute reality of gender. The notion of the social constructionism of gender identity etc. is itself socially constructed by the present historical moment. That's part of it, anyway. I barely mentioned the particular/universal part in one sentence previously IIRC, so that's neither here nor there, but you should find some content on it by searching for Zizek talking about BLM.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ihki posted:

clear, concise

Dude.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ikhis posts lead me to believe that they have a very boring solitary job that requires very little writing or human interaction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ihki posted:

No, it's just a quick reference for what I was talking about. The last time I wrote about this at length, it turned out to something like fifteen pages of text. I'm sort of hoping that you prefer the clear, concise writing in that quote, and can dig up the original source for the rest. Basically, it carries on with the later Zizek's Hegelian materialist reading of how history is interpreted from the present outwards (as opposed to starting from the past), and how postmodern theorists ("transcendental historicists") presuppose a certain historical position which defines a set of limits to thinking. Butler, Derrida, Foucault and such fall under this. Derrida fx. said there is no philosophy in China, only thought, as φιλοσοφία and 老子 don't really exist in the same universe. There is no ahistorical position for a philosophy that relies on this historicity, as he or Butler does (per the view). Were cavemen living out their gender performative lifestyles in the prehistoric age? What about Ramses II's court or the local peasants? If yes, not in a way which would have enabled Butler's work to exist. The inverse can be applied to the future in how so long as we grant that history will change, their theory cannot be universalized as the timeless absolute reality of gender. The notion of the social constructionism of gender identity etc. is itself socially constructed by the present historical moment. That's part of it, anyway. I barely mentioned the particular/universal part in one sentence previously IIRC, so that's neither here nor there, but you should find some content on it by searching for Zizek talking about BLM.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Well, I had three people owning me with the clever point on how it was written better than I could've said it, so I was presuming it must've been really great writing to get such praise. Of course I thought you were just being shits about it, why do you think I fed you the owning?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

nurmie posted:

dril is a better philosopher than jorp and i'm not even joking

If civilization survives the 21st century, cultural studies classes of the future will study dril tweets to try to understand what the hell was wrong with us.

Ihki posted:

Well, I had three people owning me with the clever point on how it was written better than I could've said it, so I was presuming it must've been really great writing to get such praise. Of course I thought you were just being shits about it, why do you think I fed you the owning?

Here comes the puppetmaster. Why don't you just quit while you're behind?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Ihki posted:

You're a bad writer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ihki posted:

Dude.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Zizek is a raccoon cursed by a sexy witch to have the mind of a genius, the body of a man, and the ability to communicate only in gibberish.

Zizek is a broken man whose crushing existential despair, barely masked by his 39 coats of irony, is a monument to capitalism's final victory over the human spirit.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

His voice is ridiculously offensive, also.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zizek's voice is wonderful.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Heres a philosophical curveball. Does Zizek get pussy?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Poohs Packin posted:

Heres a philosophical curveball. Does Zizek get pussy?

quote:

There is something ridiculous in asserting my dignity which I resist automatically. My teenage son identifies with this undermining of my own authority. When he was 14, I was mad at him and used a vulgar expression in Slovenian: “Let the dog gently caress your mother.” He replied: “That already happened 15 years ago. That’s how I was born.”

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Ihki posted:

Please stop writing altogether. If you can't stop yourself, get a copy of "The Elements of Style," and learn from it. It's only 80-some pages, it's full of practical advice, and gives examples of how to simplify and clarify your writing. The most important chapter, I would argue, is titled "Omit Useless Words." I used to tutor other students in undergrad on essay writing, and your writing is what I would've called "garbage." You never actually state your point, you hide your lack of a point under too many words, and include far too many irrelevant details and asides. You need to go back to the most basic tenets of writing, and not come back here. Please.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Please stop writing altogether. If you can't stop yourself, get a copy of "The Elements of Style," and learn from it. It's only 80-some pages, it's full of practical advice, and gives examples of how to simplify and clarify your writing. The most important chapter, I would argue, is titled "Omit Useless Words." I used to tutor other students in undergrad on essay writing, and your writing is what I would've called "garbage." You never actually state your point, you hide your lack of a point under too many words, and include far too many irrelevant details and asides. You need to go back to the most basic tenets of writing, and not come back here. Please.

They never make points, because they’re extreme cowards.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Flowers for QAnon posted:

They never make points, because they’re extreme cowards.

I can't believe this dipshit actually called himself a POC like it was clever, and refuses to answer my question if he's white. $10 says he is, and he thinks that intersectionality "joke" was cute.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I can't imagine anyone who writes about Hegel or Zizek with the kind of clarity that might be acceptable. Turns out -- of course I knew this -- Zizek didn't pass the test. Lacan is almost unreadable, though Fink is pretty clear on him. Butler has been crowned the worst writer in the world. Hegel was one of the worst writers in human history. They tried to ban Derrida from a professorship in the U.S., largely for the crime being such a bad writer. I've read your book over a decade ago. If you can name me one person writing on the people or topics I've mentioned and who hasn't burned your book, I'd be interested. You just don't write about continental philosophy on those terms. It's not about making a point in propositional logic, but building a position. Writing about Zizek, more than anything, tends to look a lot like flailing around. Ever heard him speak for ten minutes? So far as writing and teaching about some of these thinkers, I've gotten great feedback for tutoring in the past. That's not exactly the role I've been playing here, I'll admit. That's sort of difficult to even think of doing when you're under fire from five directions for being, uh, I don't know what I am at this point. I've tried to dumb down some academic concepts lazily, often just so I'd get away from talking about them. Not to say I'm a great philosopher, because I'm not. Technically my writing could be better for sure. I do alright for a third language speaker.

Nonetheless, so long as my favorite thinkers are renowned in the English-speaking world for being unreadable, I don't worry too much about the sincere concerns (:airquote:) of people who show no interest in reading them. It might just be I'm in good company.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Why are you still posting?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ihki posted:

Lol you think you've owned anybody

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Ihki posted:

Technically my writing could be better for sure. I do alright for a third language speaker.

Nonetheless, so long as my favorite thinkers are renowned in the English-speaking world for being unreadable, I don't worry too much about the sincere concerns (:airquote:) of people who show no interest in reading them. It might just be I'm in good company.

This is literally the only relevant part of all of that.

Your writing is not technically good. This is what people are telling you. You understand the vocabulary and grammar, but you're still writing very, very poorly.

Everyone would like you to stop, or respond in less than 1,000 words and with a coherent point. You can't/won't, so stop.

Also, why do you only respond to my post about writing and not any of the ones about Jorper's views and how he wants them implemented in society? Stop posting other people's opinions, everyone wants to hear yours without filtering them through references and vague sentiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ihki posted:

I've tried to dumb down some academic concepts lazily, often just so I'd get away from talking about them.

Youre posting in GBS.
You aren't smarter than the people here.

Nobody has asked you to dumb anything down for them.

Youre bored and keep farts in a jar.