Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Some of y'all ain't growed up in the south and had good chicken & dumplins and it shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Southern style dumplings are pretty doughy. Good doughy though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Those are huge loving dumplings. I'm from the south and making chicken and dumplings on the regular. They do not look like that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I trust Ken and his enormous succulent dumplings

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it seems like it would be undercooked and doughy.

Don't sign your posts

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You know what it's winter time so I think I'mma try and make it. I'll have to take pictures when I do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Retro Futurist posted:

Don't sign your posts

Don't tell me what to do , you're not my horror dad

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If Ken Foree hands me a plate of food you better believe I'm eating every crumb of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Those are huge loving dumplings. I'm from the south and making chicken and dumplings on the regular. They do not look like that.

I'm southern and Jewish so between the two I've had so many dumpling based soups. I've had some pretty big ones but yeah generally they're like ping pong ball sized.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm southern and Jewish so between the two I've had so many dumpling based soups. I've had some pretty big ones but yeah generally they're like ping pong ball sized.

They just seem super large dumplings and they are browned on top if you look at the picture, but he cooked them on the stove. Maybe finishing it in the oven? That would work possibly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm from Boston with French parents and the only dumpling ive ever had was a dough filled with meat and/or beans at Asian restaurants. The dumplings you guys are talking about seem like just the dough?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm from Boston with French parents and the only dumpling ive ever had was a dough filled with meat and/or beans at Asian restaurants. The dumplings you guys are talking about seem like just the dough?

Yeah its a flour biscuit dough that is cooked in the broth and it makes a dumpling its the same stuff that ins a Pilsbury biscuit pack. The dumplings at Chinese restaurants are usually made with won ton wrappers which I believe are rice based.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Huh interesting. That sounds p good ill have to try it sometime

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it is delectable

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I make homemade dumplings sometimes.

They're dough filled with a mix of cabbage, ground meat, and various spices. Then I steam the whole thing and dip in soy or sriracha as required.

They look a bit like moist gonads.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It reminds me of the cat I dissected in science class. It was a massive fat chungus cat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Looking to do a killer robot marathon so far I have Chopping Mall and Hardware, need some suggestions (hopefully more horror based and less stuff like the Terminator)

Deadly Friend
Halloween III
Child's Play (the recent one)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i lust for the blood of teenagers played unconvincingly by actors in their 20s and 30s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the child's play remake is surprisingly good and worth watching imo

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 18, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Some of y'all ain't growed up in the south and had good chicken & dumplins and it shows

Shameful ain't it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Are southern style dumplings those big fat spongy dumplings that look like noodles? Because they're the only dumplings I recognize for chicken and dumplings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Are southern style dumplings those big fat spongy dumplings that look like noodles? Because they're the only dumplings I recognize for chicken and dumplings.

Basically but the ones in From Beyond are really big and not completely cooked in the sauce, they sit on top. I feel like finishing it in the oven is probably required but they just didn't feel like showing that in the movie.

Hopefully next time we get a blu ray release of the movie they'll add a featurette about this in the special features.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
pretty sure it's stew with suet dumplings. in reality, stuart gordon's wife cooked it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

It's this

chopped up into bitsize pieces and boiled with also bitesize chicken. If you're feeling fancy you can throw in some chopped celery or scallion or something:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Origami Dali posted:

pretty sure it's stew with suet dumplings. in reality, stuart gordon's wife cooked it.

Whats the difference between suet dumplings and regular dumpling?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Speaking personally, gelatinous foods of any sort are my only "food thing" in the sense that I can barely stand to look at them without revulsion so aspic is basically the perfect horror food for me specifically.

E: I'm surprised there isn't anything here based on Raw. That seems like a lay-up.

The very last recipe is a meat pithvier inspired by raw. It's basically a meat pie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

So east asian style dumplings, jiaozi or gyoza for example, are what you're talking about, and they're not related. In this case the use of the term "dumpling" in both cases is because they are both dough cooked by steaming or boiling rather than baking. but then sometimes people bake little sweet pastries and call them dumplings, so at the end of the day nothing in english means anything at all.

Hollismason posted:

the fat used to make them. suet is interstitial fat from cows or sheep, more commonly biscuits are made with butter or vegetable shortening. you can also use lard which isn't as common anymore but i think is the best way

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

you mix rendered animal fat into the dough and it helps them stay solid and fluffy when wet, so they don't just turn to mush like a regular dumpling. the larger size helps with that too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Interesting, yeah I don't know anywhere I can buy suet and then handmake dumplings. I just buy the Pilsbury Southern Style Biscuits in the tin and I use those for my chicken and dumplings.

Also, I was researching it and this is apparently called beef cobbler.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 18, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Interesting, yeah I don't know anywhere I can buy suet and then handmake dumplings. I just buy the Pilsbury Southern Style Biscuits in the tin and I use those for my chicken and dumplings.

Some stores carry suet, but it depends where you are. They carry it by me and when I lived in the Chicago suburbs, Cub Foods had it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hollismason posted:

I linked a beef cobbler recipe upthread! My mum used to make it when I was a kid, it's delicious (and I prefer it to stew and dumplings)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Tarnop posted:

I linked a beef cobbler recipe upthread! My mum used to make it when I was a kid, it's delicious (and I prefer it to stew and dumplings)

Yeah I've been looking at beef cobbler recipes I think when it gets winter I'll make it and then I'll post pictures.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Some stores carry suet, but it depends where you are. They carry it by me and when I lived in the Chicago suburbs, Cub Foods had it.

Maybe Whole Foods has it , I checked with Jewel but they didn't have it. They do have lard. I think I am just going to use Pilsbury dough though it seems easier.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You're usually better off with a butcher shop for suet

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I don't watch horror films much anymore, at least not super gory ones, but my GF saw Zombie's Halloween back when it came out and she and I bonded extra more over how much we both love Tyler Mane. I will defend him as the best Film Sabretooth even if he is just dumb muscle there because he looked great and is just a really awesome "physical actor."

What do people here think of his Michael?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love Tyler Mane, both for his film work and his pro wrestling run with the best wrestling name ever - Skywalker Nitron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBY1MdPU-Y

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Opinions on Tyler Mane's Michael are split, just like opinions of Zombie's Halloweens overall are split.

A lot of people take issue with his size, and his intense physicality because they see that as more of Jason Voorhees' domain. In the original Halloween, Michael isn't really much bigger than an average guy, and he doesn't really express any emotions through his body language other than maybe inquisitiveness or confusion. He's not the rage monster that Tyler Mane portrays him as. But different doesn't mean better or worse, and there are definitely plenty of people around here who appreciate Zombie's take on Halloween, especially compared to some other remakes that didn't have the nerve to even attempt anything interesting with the material.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mane's interpretation has a sympathetic quality which is in tune with Zombie's more causative and explainable take on the character. It is pretty different and doesn't really work in his remake for me but does work in II. But, yes, a tremendous physical presence. Would not want to fight Tyler Mane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I love Tyler Mane, both for his film work and his pro wrestling run with the best wrestling name ever - Skywalker Nitron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBY1MdPU-Y

Sorry I prefer Butch Masters

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Tyler Mane's Michael is gently caress off huge , which is a different take on Michael than we've seen before. Also he has more pathos. I like Tyler Manes bearded hobo Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fiona Dourif says the Chucky season finale is insane, which considering how insane the last few eps have been, has me giddy